Keir Starmer Labour Leader

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
the conservatives can just ignore the Labour Party - they have huge majority and labour are in complete disarray. The Tories will get on with the job on running the country and only need to think about an election in 3.5 years time. Will labour have got their shit together by then? Doubtful.
It's also 3.5 years for the Tories to capitulate. This government was elected on the basis of it being less shit than Corybns. There's no great love for it.

Virgil

It's also 3.5 years for the Tories to capitulate. This government was elected on the basis of it being less shit than Corybns. There's no great love for it.
Sorry to rain on your parade but the FTPA allows for 5 year parliaments. It supposedly is for review this year I think but with what’s going on would not be surprised if it were delayed. So as it currently stands it’s 4.5 more years of the Conservatives.

EwanI Ted

the conservatives can just ignore the Labour Party - they have huge majority and labour are in complete disarray. The Tories will get on with the job on running the country and only need to think about an election in 3.5 years time. Will labour have got their shit together by then? Doubtful.
We're currently suffering with a global pandemic & are just about to enter a global recession that could dwarf the one from 2008. Any certainties we had about the next election from three months ago are out the window. Its wide open at this point.

We're currently suffering with a global pandemic & are just about to enter a global recession that could dwarf the one from 2008. Any certainties we had about the next election from three months ago are out the window. Its wide open at this point.
and water is wet.

as I said the government will get on with running the country. Whatever happens in the Labour Party is priority 48272 for the Tories. Their large majority renders them irrelevant until 2024.

Dobba

Given the talking point of the last few years was that it was Milne running the Labour Party, Starmer replacing him with a private healthcare lobbyist must be a sure sign of the new party's political direction regarding the NHS.

Last edited:
well clearly we all have to wait and see. But I see nothing to suggest that labour will pose an issue at the next GE. the basis of any optimism is merely they now have a leader that’s not as shit as the worst leader of the opposition in a century.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Good appointments. Surprised no Cooper or Benn though. Nice to see Miliband back and I think RLB will do a good job in Education.

starman

Not really a fan of Starmer, but he's growing on me getting rid of three of the most obnoxious politicians there's been in Richard Burgon, Barry Gardiner and Diane Abbott.
Hopefully Emily Thornberry and Johnathan Ashworth are given the boot as well...

Last edited:

EwanI Ted

and water is wet.

as I said the government will get on with running the country. Whatever happens in the Labour Party is priority 48272 for the Tories. Their large majority renders them irrelevant until 2024.
That is just totally untrue. Politics isnt about votes in the house, that's only been important in the post-Brexit period of tiny (or non-) majorities and epochal votes. Politics is more often about capturing public shifts of opinion on topics. If the Government gets the public mood wrong on something, and the Opposition gets it right, then the Government faces pressure to respond. Not because of the need to get some vote through, which has rarely been a problem for any Government in the modern era til Brexit happened, but because of the public perception on how well they're running the country over the next few years. That perception is what shapes the next election.

nickm

Given the talking point of the last few years was that it was Milne running the Labour Party, Starmer replacing him with a private healthcare lobbyist must be a sure sign of the new party's political direction regarding the NHS.
Man, you are relentlessly bitter.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Ed 2.0 it is then.

Ah yes, the nephew of a former MP and someone that once used union funds to pay for a mortgage.

There's also, by my count, six women of colour appointed. As opposed to (again, my count) the four that were in the outgoing shadow cabinet.

Keep up the good work, #JC4PM twitter.

jeff_goldblum

Seems very much like what was being predicted - mostly soft-left with a couple of bones thrown to the centrists and the left. If you left that group to their own political devices with no outside steer they'd probably end up somewhere between the 2015 and 2017 manifestos.

Why has Jess Phillips been left out from a front line role?
Probably because they were trying to pick talented, likeable people.

Sweet Square

Ah yes, the nephew of a former MP and someone that once used union funds to pay for a mortgage.
:lol:

Ah the Blair in you always comes out in the end.

There's also, by my count, six women of colour appointed. As opposed to (again, my count) the four that were in the outgoing shadow cabinet.
Names as I've not counted six also Nandy is the only one with a senior cabinet position.

Keep up the good work, #JC4PM twitter.
Honestly good luck mate. You're guys are in the driving seat now, you got the politics you've wanted, now let's see how successful blaming benefits claimants and black mothers does in a few years time.

In fairness it works for the tories.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Imagine thinking Lavery and Burgon leaving the shadow cabinet is a bad thing. Pidcock was shite too.

Just hope poor old Ian has somebody's pension to fall back onto.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Names as I've not counted six also Nandy is the only one with a senior cabinet position.

Honestly good luck mate. You're guys are in the driving seat now, you got the politics you've wanted, now let's see how successful blaming benefits claimants and black mothers does in a few years time.

Hope you and Dobba are doing OK.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Nandy, Debbonaire, Gill, de Cordova, Allin-Khan, and Vaz.

Sweet Square

Hope you and Dobba are doing OK.
Things could be worse tbh. I don't mind the recent cabinet it just so early 2010's Labour which is hardly promising.

Edit - It's been a while since I've agreed with anonymous right wing labour mp's

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Probably because they were trying to pick talented, likeable people.

Possibly this.
Perhaps not a personality you want in a significant role if you're trying to unite both sides of the party?
Plenty of Labour folk who deeply admire Jess Phillips.

Plus its only for shadow cabinet: she'd be a very tiresome and prickly shadow for any Tory Minister.

Seems very odd to me.

Smores

Plus its only for shadow cabinet: she'd be a very tiresome and prickly shadow for any Tory Minister.

Seems very odd to me.
She's Labours Francois, a mouthy type who likes to be in the media. That won't change and nor should it be confused with talent.

It's Cooper and Benn that i thought would work their way back in. They've both done a lot of good work in committees.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

Seems very odd to me.
She's divisive, looks like he's managed to keep pretty much any divisive figures out apart from Reeves who is the chancellor of who cares and Lammy who is hated by all gammons.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
She's Labours Francois, a mouthy type who likes to be in the media. That won't change and nor should it be confused with talent.

It's Cooper and Benn that i thought would work their way back in. They've both done a lot of good work in committees.
Maybe he wants to keep them there as don't think cabinet ministers can head select committees.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm sure Jean Tsé-toung, studying for his PhD at Yale has an incredible grasp on the northern working-class and who they feel an 'organic' connection to..
Perhaps Jean should consider why some of those northern working-class voted for Etonians.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Things could be worse tbh. I don't mind the recent cabinet it just so early 2010's Labour which is hardly promising.

Edit - It's been a while since I've agreed with anonymous right wing labour mp's

He can only work with what's available. It's not like there was a dream team somewhere he left out.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Not a bad cabinet. Mainly relieved that Dodds is Shadow Chancellor after the reports Reeves might get it - Starmer’s clearly put a lot of thought into his choices and tried to avoid antagonising either side.

He’s got some likeable figures in there and it’s quite progressive. No Jess Phillips, thank feck. Glad to see Miliband back in there, always felt he got unfairly treated as leader because of ‘optics’ rather than substance.

Sweet Square

I'm sure Jean Tsé-toung, studying for his PhD at Yale has an incredible grasp on the northern working-class and who they feel an 'organic' connection to..
There was a reason why he framed it as a ''organic" connection(He was talking about a very surface level).

He can only work with what's available. It's not like there was a dream team somewhere he left out.
There is no dream ticket to start with but it's a cabinet who's whole goal is to not annoy anyone in the party(Corbyn did this in 2015 and it failed), thus it will annoy both the left and right. I'm honestly not bothered about the party anymore(Although they've most likely got my vote in a few years time) but I was interested in seeing if Starmer had a vision going forward be it on the left or right and what conclusions he has come to after Labout defeat last year. The answer seems to be lets ago back to pre 2016 politics.

I like Ed and voted for him but he was clearly shite, yet people think it's great that he's back in.

Untied

Starmer will be tripped up over Brexit pretty quickly by arguing for an extension. This is something that if the Conservatives have any sense they will make a show of opposing, even if it’s ultimately what they think is necessary.

Side note: the EU has completely collapsed during coronavirus, revealing most critiques of it to be nonsense (actually you can close borders and engage in unprecedented levels of state aid without consequence). No political unity or solidarity to be seen. Just a marketplace.

The answer seems to be lets ago back to pre 2016 politics.
Someone posted a Dunt tweet (God knows why) and he had another comment that sums this up, celebrating this shadow cabinet as a return to normality.

It’s the same psychosis that is leading the Democrats to choose a candidate who’s brain is literally sloshing around inside his head. There can be no return to normality given the zombie economy we have lived in since 2008, the oncoming climate crisis, and the current coronavirus crisis.