Keir Starmer Labour Leader

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Continued lazy inferences of antisemitism are a genuine problem,
the institutional antisemitism that was allowed to fester under corbyn is a genuine problem... people deflecting that and pretending its not real or justified are part of that real problem
Hopefully starmer will kick anybody out associated with it and anybody against that will hopefully begone as well

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He's also getting criticised by BLM, who are also upset that the country rejected their vision of not being racially discriminated against. But you don't care about that, because you're a guido fan, and everyone knows what guido fans are.
of go on what are they.. which sweeping generalization are you going to go with today...

Fingeredmouse

the institutional antisemitism that was allowed to fester under corbyn is a genuine problem... people deflecting that and pretending its not real or justified are part of that real problem
Hopefully starmer will kick anybody out associated with it and anybody against that will hopefully begone as well
You are quoting me out of context and plowing on deliberately misrepresenting my point. I shall be very clear:

Alex's tweet is in response to BLM posting an post that is not remotely antisemitic. Alex then posts a response stating that BLM are only highlighting Israel, which is very strongly inferring anti-semitism. This is despite the fact that BLM are highly active and visible on many fronts including the one Alex sarcastically chose to highlight. Alex is deliberately selectively pulling a BLM quote to create a false impression of antisemitism damaging the cause against bigotry.

Antisemitism should be hounded out of society, wherever it is found. It should not be used as a convenient weapon by a political parties infighting factions.

Any chance you could reply to that specific point without leaping off at a tangent?

finneh

I agree there's much to be unhappy about with New Labour beyond the famous headlines of Iraq & tuition fees. However the caveat has to be that all Governments make mistakes, often big mistakes, and the longer you're in Government the more mistakes you make. Whether due to lack of judgement, undue concern about winning votes, poor party culture, whatever, this is a truism of every Government in history. The only way to avoid making decisions in Government is to stay in opposition. Even the best teams concede goals and lose matches. That's why a lot of people chalk off the legitimate critiques of New Labour's failings as ideological, because its sometimes based on the idea that we could have a Government that does no wrong, which is pure fantasy. What really matters is the overall balance. If the good comfortably outweighs the bad, you're probably looking at a good Government.

People end up disagreeing over New Labour not because its advocates think it did no wrong, but because the argument slides into the paradigm of New Labour good vs New Labour bad. New Labour's supporters then end up defending its bad decisions because New Labour's detractors argue that the bad decisions outweigh the good. We're all guilty of defending 'our side' in debates in such a way. But this means that neither side is really critiquing the policy itself, instead it becomes a proxy for a different debate. Neither side wants to concede the point, even if they actually might agree, because it would undermine their larger argument.

In order for people who liked and didn't like New Labour to successfully debate a New Labour policy they'd have to begin with the acceptance that whether each policy was good or bad makes no difference to the overall judgment of New Labour in the round. ID cards alone aren't enough to make Labour a crap Government. The minimum wage alone isnt enough to make it a good one. As long as both sides are using it to justify a larger point, there's no common ground for a debate.
Good post. It would be interesting to know who the country would say was the last "good" Prime Minister / government on balance. My betting is to get any consensus (even if you separated left/right voters) you'd have to go back 3-4 decades, possibly even 7-8. Possibly Thatcher on the right and maybe Wilson or even Atlee on the left? To find any significant approval across the spectrum it would probably be Churchill. Either way I imagine you'd find low approval ratings for decades.

I wonder whether this means that the majority of people have too high expectations of what to expect from a government?

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I mean Im blairite scum so thats the same to you right... Im mixed race - my wife is chinese... I'm practically edl mate...
Nope, being a Blairite is not the same as being a fan of, and constantly promoting a far right website like Guideo Fawkes, which is what you do all the time. I don't care who you say you are or how many ethnic minority friends you have. If you uncritically post Guido as much as you do then it's clear that you support them and what they stand for, which is far right politics.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Nope, being a Blairite is not the same as being a fan of, and constantly promoting a far right website like Guideo Fawkes, which is what you do all the time. I don't care who you say you are or how many ethnic minority friends you have. If you uncritically post Guido as much as you do then it's clear that you support them and what they stand for, which is far right politics.
so you now get to be the arbiter of my belief system... your a very strange little boy

Fluctuation0161

Might be easier for you to simply link directly to the Guido articles you attempt to regurgitate in future?

Shamwow

so you now get to be the arbiter of my belief system... your a very strange little boy
No, I'm saying that if you constantly and uncritically promote a far right website, don't be upset when people start to think that you support them. Because whether or not it's intentional, you are supporting them and their aims.

Sweet Square

The more I see of him the more I dislike him. He doesn't seem to really stand for anything other than third way centrism.
At the start of this month

He's basically looked at he last election and gone well young people don't turn out and most of Labour black support is in safe seats, so feck them. I need to win to racists homeowners over the age of 50 in the North by going to the right.

That's his plan and many on here will be sadly ok with it.

White man in position of power tells black people what is valid and what is nonsense. Also tried to limit the movement as a "moment" and limit its scope to the single action of George Floyd's murder. Wow.
Yeah it's pretty awful. But then again this guy who ran in what was supposed to be a female only leadership election

Last edited:

EwanI Ted

In this case sobel deployed whataboutery which is completely an inappropriate thing to do when someone is trying to highlight oppression and also as I said, innacurate. Which is supporting racism and therefore racist.

RLB fans in particular pushing for his sacking as they say the bar has now been set by her sacking.
Is this what RLB supporters online are saying or what you're saying?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
White man in position of power tells black people what is valid and what is nonsense. Also tried to limit the movement as a "moment" and limit its scope to the single action of George Floyd's murder. Wow.
Terrible from him. It displays a complete ignorance to the BLM movement as a whole. And yeah trying to ground it in just the murder of George Floyd is shameful. Dismissing ‘Defund the Police’ as nonsense as well - by all means oppose it, but to so flippantly disregard it again is just tone-deaf to all those who deal with injustices and racism at the hands of the police.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Can anyone who supports Starmer justify this without referring to Corbyn?
Absolutely.

America - massive police budgets running to hundreds of millions / billions of dollars. Militarised officers carrying guns trying to handle situations they are trained to nullify, not resolve.

Americans = Lets defund them. Demilitarise them. Invest in Social Structures that resolve problems in another way.

UK - Small police budgets, forces underfunded for decades due to our old friend Austerity. Officers well trained in de-escalation. Not enough of them

British folks = Reinvest in the police. Crime is rising and we don’t have enough of them.

BLM UK suggesting that the USA solutions are cookie cutter simple, simply because there are ready made and have chants written.... IS INSANE.

That country is fcuked. Our Police are not their Police. They don’t need to be defunded. But probably need a mirror held up to some mechanisms. Surgical assessments of individual forces. More communication. But they need funding. To suggest otherwise is facetious.

It’s not hard to understand. Starmer is crediting people with enough intelligence to think this over. Like an adult.

Fingeredmouse

Absolutely.

America - massive police budgets running to hundreds of millions / billions of dollars. Militarised officers carrying guns trying to handle situations they are trained to nullify, not resolve.

Americans = Lets defund them. Demilitarise them. Invest in Social Structures that resolve problems in another way.

UK - Small police budgets, forces underfunded for decades due to our old friend Austerity. Officers well trained in de-escalation. Not enough of them

British folks = Reinvest in the police. Crime is rising and we don’t have enough of them.

BLM UK suggesting that the USA solutions are cookie cutter simple, simply because there are ready made and have chants written.... IS INSANE.

That country is fcuked. Our Police are not their Police. They don’t need to be defunded. But probably need a mirror held up to some mechanisms. Surgical assessments of individual forces. More communication. But they need funding. To suggest otherwise is facetious.

It’s not hard to understand. Starmer is crediting people with enough intelligence to think this over. Like an adult.
...and I'd largely agree with this.

The UK is not the same as the US and our Police are not funded or ran in the same way.

Investment, education and training for the Police is needed.

More investment in Social Work and Community support alongside this is also needed.

I have no issue with Starmer's position on this issue.

UnrelatedPsuedo

...and I'd largely agree with this.

The UK is not the same as the US and our Police are not funded or ran in the same way.

Investment, education and training for the Police is needed.

More investment in Social Work and Community support alongside this is also needed.

I have no issue with Starmer's position on this issue.
No right headed person should.

Anyone that does is stealing oxygen. He’s not saying it doesn’t matter. He’s literally saying the opposite.

He believes in and supports the BLM movement.

Sometimes people need to get off the internet. Stay local. Don’t attribute all of this global shit show to your own life.

Taking the American existence and using their messaging to resolve problems for minorities in this country, will result in worse outcomes for those people. Without question.

EwanI Ted

Can anyone who supports Starmer justify this without referring to Corbyn?
The defund the police side of things is fine. The idea that the BLM movement over here is just the equivalent of a minutes silence for Floyd is, at best, tin eared and, at worst, pretty offensive.

Sweet Square

The whole defund the police thing is only applicable to the States so it’s a loaded question that those ignorant to the situation will use as a stick... bit lazy from the beeb to be honest
The defuned answer is basically what every Labour leader would say(Although calling it nonsense is stupid). The awful part is this

"Black Lives Matter is about reflecting on what happened dreadfully in America just a few weeks ago … I support it as a movement, a moment but it’s a shame it’s getting tangled up with these organisational issues.”

Which is basically telling black lives matter and their concerns to feck off.

But again giving Starmer background and history of course he has this view.

Last edited:

Zlatattack

So whats the Labour policy on the complete Israeli annexation of the West Bank? Will Starmer be flying down to throw our some Palestinians from their homes himself?

UnrelatedPsuedo

So whats the Labour policy on the complete Israeli annexation of the West Bank? Will Starmer be flying down to throw our some Palestinians from their homes himself?
If he could document his stance on the politics of every other country on the planet that would be good too right?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....anctions-on-israel-over-west-bank-annexations

Economic sanctions. This article oddly claims this is a toughening of Labour’s stance as the 2019 manifesto only called for diplomatic solutions but I’m pretty certain it called for an end to arms sales to Israel too. I am pleasantly surprised at Nandy’s stance though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Genuine question, I'm quite ignorant on this. But what would "defunding the police" do in our country?I would have thought if anything it requires far more investment in training and correct protocol so that the are able to stabilize law and order properly and fairly.

Also he's not far off, like it or not, this whole wave came from Floyd and people started protesting in anger because the police officers were never charged. Then yes it (rightly) evolved into a protest against systemic issues within the police department around racism, but I wouldn't bring my pitchfork out for Starmer when you have idiots on the Tory party who are 100x worse than what he is.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Yeah, maybe he could call it something like "Foreign Policy".
Global foreign policy is all about the same with most countries.

I wish the weird super left would stop bringing up fcuking Israel all the time. Pick a proper issue. Time spent there might effect change.

Shamwow

Defund the police is a dumb slogan if we're being honest.

Everyone who has tried to explain it to me has had to start with "it doesn't actually mean defund the police".

Zlatattack

Global foreign policy is all about the same with most countries.

I wish the weird super left would stop bringing up fcuking Israel all the time. Pick a proper issue. Time spent there might effect change.
Israel has a lobby that has the labour party by the bollocks. Unfortunately Latvia or Burundi don't

Fluctuation0161

Genuine question, I'm quite ignorant on this. But what would "defunding the police" do in our country?I would have thought if anything it requires far more investment in training and correct protocol so that the are able to stabilize law and order properly and fairly.

Also he's not far off, like it or not, this whole wave came from Floyd and people started protesting in anger because the police officers were never charged. Then yes it (rightly) evolved into a protest against systemic issues within the police department around racism, but I wouldn't bring my pitchfork out for Starmer when you have idiots on the Tory party who are 100x worse than what he is.
In many ways the Tories have already defunded the police. But that isn't what struck me as the most unpalatable section from Starmers interview. Although, black people are more likely to be stopped and searched and also more likely to die in custody in the UK. So certainly changes and improvements need to be made with the police. Why couldn't he acknowledge that?

But the fact that Starmer did not address broader concerns regarding racism experienced by UK citizens, and limited the BLM protests to being about a single man in America demonstrates a massive disconnect. Look at the Windrush scandal, the ignored warnings from Grenfell, the prime minister and his "picanninies" quote. Even look at the racism received by his own black Labour MPs on social media and beyond.

Racism is a problem here in the UK too and it comes in a broad spectrum with a long history. To scale down the protests in the UK to only being about one man is disingenuous from Starmer.

I don't buy into the "Tories are worse" argument. Especially considering he has not addressed this properly either.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...tism-racism-diane-abbott-butler-a9468521.html

Untied

Absolutely.

Wait until you find out the Met's budget *

We have exactly the same questions here though about the cuts to social services, mental health services, etc. and whether funds allocated to the police could be better allocated to achieve a restorative system of justice.

I think some of the money spent on police in this country could probably be better directed into other services. We spend an awful lot more per capita on policing than Scandinavian countries. It's certainly not 'nonsense' to question why.

No he's not. He's either demonstrating that he doesn't understand what 'defund the police means' or that he is wilfully misrepresenting it to appeal to his intended voter demographic: 'but don't all lives matter?'.

* £3.4 billion

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In many ways the Tories have already defunded the police. But that isn't what struck me as the most unpalatable section from Starmers interview. Although, black people are more likely to be stopped and searched and also more likely to die in custody in the UK. So certainly changes and improvements need to be made with the police. Why couldn't he acknowledge that?
Of course he would acknolwedge it, but the answer isn't to "de-fund the police", is it?
But the fact that Starmer did not address broader concerns regarding racism experienced by UK citizens, and limited the BLM protests to being about a single man in America demonstrates a massive disconnect. Look at the Windrush scandal, the ignored warnings from Grenfell, the prime minister and his "picanninies" quote. Even look at the racism received by his own black Labour MPs on social media and beyond.

Racism is a problem here in the UK too and it comes in a broad spectrum with a long history. To scale down the protests in the UK to only being about one man is disingenuous from Starmer.

I don't buy into the "Tories are worse" argument. Especially considering he has not addressed this properly either.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...tism-racism-diane-abbott-butler-a9468521.html
Everyone would be in agreement that it's a problem, and I don't think Starmer is even remotely suggesting that there isn't a racism problem among Law and Order. The way I interpreted it is that he felt lazy parallels were being drawn from what was a heinous crime in USA and it was politicized here in the UK when the solution to make things better isn't just "defund the police".

Sweet Square

Is being retweeted approvingly by a far right politician still proof that you're a massive racist, or did that go when Sir Keir took over?
I'd be rather called a far left Marxist jihad than have this cnut like me.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Defund the police is a dumb slogan if we're being honest.

Everyone who has tried to explain it to me has had to start with "it doesn't actually mean defund the police".
Who’s been explaining it to you? Defund the police is a very straightforward concept. Defund the police means defund the police i.e. divert resources elsewhere so tackling mental health, social services, youth centres, housing.

Is being retweeted approvingly by a far right politician still proof that you're a massive racist, or did that go when Sir Keir took over?
Starmer’s comments should be condemned by anyone who claims to stand in solidarity against racism. It’s painfully tone-deaf and outright insulting. If a Labour leader’s stance on a movement like BLM is able to be exploited by someone as beyond the pale as Farage (however cynically that may be), that should make anyone who claims to support the party uncomfortable.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I'd be rather called a far left Marxist jihad than have this cnut like me.
Nothing exposes the weaponising of anti-Semitism against the left like the platform constantly given to this racist. BBC led the media in building Farage’s career and mainstreaming his views. How many times has Farage being quizzed on his support for Orban, numerous dogwhistle anti-Semitic comments or his private schoolboy days where he routinely told Jewish students ‘Hitler was right’ among other deplorable “jokes”.