Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Untied

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Corbyn Statement

Jeremy Corbyn

22 mins ·
My statement following the publication of the EHRC report:
“Antisemitism is absolutely abhorrent, wrong and responsible for some of humanity’s greatest crimes. As Leader of the Labour Party I was always determined to eliminate all forms of racism and root out the cancer of antisemitism. I have campaigned in support of Jewish people and communities my entire life and I will continue to do so.
“The EHRC’s report shows that when I became Labour leader in 2015, the Party’s processes for handling complaints were not fit for purpose. Reform was then stalled by an obstructive party bureaucracy. But from 2018, Jennie Formby and a new NEC that supported my leadership made substantial improvements, making it much easier and swifter to remove antisemites. My team acted to speed up, not hinder the process.
“Anyone claiming there is no antisemitism in the Labour Party is wrong. Of course there is, as there is throughout society, and sometimes it is voiced by people who think of themselves as on the left.
“Jewish members of our party and the wider community were right to expect us to deal with it, and I regret that it took longer to deliver that change than it should.
“One antisemite is one too many, but the scale of the problem was also dramatically overstated for political reasons by our opponents inside and outside the party, as well as by much of the media. That combination hurt Jewish people and must never be repeated.
“My sincere hope is that relations with Jewish communities can be rebuilt and those fears overcome. While I do not accept all of its findings, I trust its recommendations will be swiftly implemented to help move on from this period.”
Will be interesting to see how that sits with Starmer - wonder if he might call on all MP's to publicly accept the findings?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
:lol: The documented interference in cases was to escalate the disciplinary responses
No.

p44 of the report
A complaint was made in April 2018 regarding the alleged support of the Leader of the Opposition, Jeremy Corbyn MP, for an antisemitic mural. In an email to the GLU, LOTO staff said that the complaint should be dismissed, stating that: ‘the complaint itself seems to fall well below the threshold required for investigation and if so surely the decision to dismiss it can be taken now’. LOTO staff amended and approved the GLU’s written response to the complainant to include details on Jeremy Corbyn’s actions in relation to the mural. LOTO staff therefore directly interfered in the decision not to investigate in this case.

Smores

Remember when Tom Watson wanted all cases on his desk? What this report does show is what a fecking chancer he was in using the issue to try and gain political position.

F-Red

Let's take Ian Austin. Deliberately weaponised antisemitism, despite comparing Corbyn supporting Jewish members to the Vichy Government yesterday, actively campaigned for a Conservative government, which has undoubtedly killed people through its response to covid.

Ian Austin simultaneously wants us to believe that Corbyn is/was a grave, perhaps physical threat, to British Jews, whilst enabling a government that has starved someone based on their immigration status and has lead to the unnecessary deaths of 1000s of people. By his own standards he should be held responsible for those.
Ian Austin's relevancy on a general election outcome was minimal I would guess, however it still doesn't explain your prior statement.

How does someone being against anti-semitism (the broad population are), and for having that view that they're directly responsible for covid deaths? As you're struggling to explain the logic, are you saying that if you're anti-Semitic then you're not responsible for covid deaths? Or is it simply down to voting pattern = covid deaths?

MikeUpNorth

Good response from Starmer. I may consider rejoining the party.

Untied

Ian Austin's relevancy on a general election outcome was minimal I would guess, however it still doesn't explain your prior statement.

How does someone being against anti-semitism (the broad population are), and for having that view that they're directly responsible for covid deaths? As you're struggling to explain the logic, are you saying that if you're anti-Semitic then you're not responsible for covid deaths? Or is it simply down to voting pattern = covid deaths?
If you expect me to keep replying to you deliberately misrepresenting what I said then you are going to be disappointed.

F-Red

If you expect me to keep replying to you deliberately misrepresenting what I said then you are going to be disappointed.
I don't think anyone is misrepresenting you, I think you've represented yourself quite clearly, and confirmed that your point was merely an emotional outburst and lacked any form of logic or substantiation. As you were.

Smores

The media seem very intent to try turn this onto Corbyn don't they and then wonder why people think it's also a political attack :lol:

Born2Lose

Corbyn and his followers will never admit they're wrong, that's why their populist politics is so dangerous.

Big questions about the complicity or incompetence of the media too.

MikeUpNorth

The overwhelming majority of cases of interference cited are escalations not obstructions.
I think you're going to look back on all this in a few years time and regret your stance, mate. The ECHR just found the Labour Party under Corbyn broke equalities law on many occasions, with illegal harassment and discrimination.

Those of us who had enough under Corbyn's leadership and left the party (after many years of membership) did not take that decision lightly. Trust me.

Smores

I think you're going to look back on all this in a few years time and regret your stance, mate. The ECHR just found the Labour Party under Corbyn broke equalities law on many occasions, with illegal harassment and discrimination.
Question, the lack of formal policies and training etc which have resulted in those ECHR rulings. Were they present under previous leaderships and would EHCR have found the same failings?

Quoted the wrong poster

Untied

I don't think anyone is misrepresenting you, I think you've represented yourself quite clearly, and confirmed that your point was merely an emotional outburst and lacked any form of logic or substantiation. As you were.
ahh yes. Resort to a patronising tone when your own failings are pointed out.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Question, the lack of formal policies and training etc which have resulted in those ECHR rulings. Were they present under previous leaderships and would EHCR have found the same failings?

Quoted the wrong poster
strange question as one of the major issues is how the LOTO interfered with the process ... so Id say yes if the leaders office had interfered in the same way then the findings would have been the same - but equally given there wasnt previous complaints then most probably no previous LOTO would have acted in the same way

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
So the only evidence of unlawful anti-Semitic remarks the EHRC could find was people denying that anti-semitism is a problem. The denial of a problem is proof that the problem exists. Amazing.
That's not true though is it?

Example
A member was suspended in 2016 for a range of antisemitic tweets of other people’s content. The suspension was lifted despite the member’s wider social media activity revealing shares of Holocaust denial and antisemitic conspiracy theories. The individual remained a member until they resigned two years later.

Example
A member shared a meme in March 2018, which expressed that ‘an antisemite is now someone Jews hate’. They had also shared other antisemitic content on social media, including a Holocaust denial article. This was not investigated, but the Labour Party said that the member was suspended in 2019 following ‘historical audits’.

Example
In 2018, complaints were made about several retweets of Rothschild conspiracy theories. This was not investigated but, again, following historical audits, the member was put under investigation in 2019.
In many more files there was evidence of antisemitic conduct by an ‘ordinary’ member of the Labour Party, who did not hold any office or role, whose conduct the Party could not be directly responsible for under equality law. The unwanted conduct complained of in this group related to social media comments that:
• diminished the scale or significance of the Holocaust
• expressed support for Hitler or the Nazis
• compared Israelis to Hitler or the Nazis
• described a ‘witch hunt’ in the Labour Party, or said that complaints had been manufactured by the ‘Israel lobby’ • referenced conspiracies about the Rothschilds and Jewish power and control over financial or other institutions
• blamed Jewish people for the ‘antisemitism crisis’ in the Labour Party
• blamed Jewish people generally for actions of the state of Israel • used ‘Zio’ as an antisemitic term, and
• accused British Jews of greater loyalty to Israel than Britain.

MikeUpNorth

As I understand it, some of the issues around complaints policy and training were longstanding. As a former member of the party, I can say anti-semitism really became far more of an issue once Corbyn and his supporters took over the party. It became a cultural thing to talk of 'conspiracies', and Israel became a topic of 'discussion' out of all proportion. I think that's reflected in the findings that the leader's office interfered repeatedly in the complaints process, even to dismiss a case against Corbyn himself without due process.

Untied

Those of us who had enough under Corbyn's leadership and left the party (after many years of membership) did not take that decision lightly. Trust me.
No one has yet responded to my point that the only two ‘unlawful’ instances of antisemitism are two prominent denials of its existence.

Denial of the problem is proof of the problem.

Untied

That's not true though is it?
It is 100% true. The ‘unlawful’ remarks are the ones made by Livingstone and some no name councillor, where the antisemitic trope they are guilty of is denying its existence.

Smores

strange question as one of the major issues is how the LOTO interfered with the process ... so Id say yes if the leaders office had interfered in the same way then the findings would have been the same - but equally given there wasnt previous complaints then most probably no previous LOTO would have acted in the same way
It's not a strange question if people are looking to lay the blame for former issues on to a specific leader as if elements were regressed. Under Blair, Brown, Ed the training was still inadequate, the policies were inadequate. Formby went further in fixing the issue than any of those.

As you'll know if you've read it then the interference question is an issue due to a lack of formal policy on when they can interfere or not. Again that wasn't there prior to Corbyn. Watson thought he could interfere as did other MPs, heck they're even calling for Starmer to interfere now!

Now hard left culture and if the party did enough to prevent antisemitism is a different matter. the EHRC doesn't look at that only the institutional processes and internal leadership.

Last edited:

MikeUpNorth

No one has yet responded to my point that the only two ‘unlawful’ instances of antisemitism are two prominent denials of its existence.

Denial of the problem is proof of the problem.
You are simply incorrect, I'm afraid. Please read page 31 of the report in full.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It is 100% true. The ‘unlawful’ remarks are the ones made by Livingstone and some no name councillor, where the antisemitic trope they are guilty of is denying its existence.
direct quote from the report
In his denial, Ken Livingstone alleged that scrutiny of Naz Shah’s conduct was part of a smear campaign by ‘the Israel lobby’ to stigmatise critics of Israel as antisemitic, and was intended to undermine and disrupt the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn MP
you know the whole antisemitic trope thing that you did earlier yourself ... at least he didnt blame them for covid I guess

Use of antisemitic tropes.
This means using written or verbal phrases or images that suggest antisemitic ideas or stereotypes. Examples that we found included referring to the idea that Jews are part of a wider conspiracy, or are responsible for controlling others and manipulating the political process, including the Labour Party. For example, referring to Jewish people being a ‘fifth column’.
P28

Appendix 2 (P108 - P111) sets out in detail the decisions taken in respect of bromley and livingstone

though it really need to be seen in this context

Harassment by the Labour Party
We found that the Labour Party, through its agents, committed harassment against its members in relation to Jewish ethnicity in the case of two individuals, Ken Livingstone and Pam Bromley.
A detailed analysis of each of these findings is set out in Annex 2.
A significant number of the other complaints we looked at demonstrated what we considered to be antisemitic conduct. However, there was either:
• not enough evidence to show that the Labour Party was legally responsible for that conduct
• the conduct was by an ‘ordinary’ member of the Labour Party, whose conduct the Party could not be legally responsible for under equality law, or
• we were not satisfied that evidence of the harmful effect of the conduct was enough to outweigh the freedom of expression rights of the individual
P25

nickm

It's like watching a Republican climate denier explaining the last 35 years of temperature data.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
The report seems quite fair if you consider it is looking at the organisation as a whole. There were a lot of failings in the disciplinary process.

It's frustrating as a former Corbyn supporter that one of the main failings was interference, regardless of which direction that interference pushed things, and pretty much every Corbyn critic I can think of was saying repeatedly that Corbyn should be interfering in these cases to speed them up, else he's a bad leader. I doubt any of these critics will remember their former positions with too much clarity, and they formed the majority of vocal Corbyn critics.

Hopefully we can implement the recommendations and get on with it quietly.

Whataboutism time: I'm still going to be pissed off until there is a similar investigating into the Tories, as I just can't imagine how they would come out of it any better thinking (back to racist MPs being sneakily unsuspended before important votes which seem pretty open and shut to me). The advantage the Tories have is that every single one of them is scum, so no one internally is going to report them except for Warsi who no one ever really listens to. And everyone seems to have forgotten the promise of an inquiry that all the leadership hopefuls gave last year.

Side note: interesting how well Williamson came out of it, despite pretty much everyone on both sides agreeing he's a jew-baiting prick.

Now looking forward to the transphobia report in 4 years :|

Shamwow

Also amusing that people are now asking Kier if he will expel Corbyn and his allies, despite such interference from the leaders office being the main thing that Labour did wrong in this report.

Smores

Also amusing that people are now asking Kier if he will expel Corbyn and his allies, despite such interference from the leaders office being the main thing that Labour did wrong in this report.
The reasoning is pretty transparent. Iain Austin just said on Sky News that we could have avoided all of this if Corbyn had just stood down, not sure you're supposed to say that bit out loud Iain.

Anyway i'm glad the report is out as you say it gives Labour a platform to put in place what is actually needed. Starmer is in charge now so presumably the anti-semites have all melted or something and we can carry on without pretending a leader is representative of a minority that cause complaints.

I hope so anyway because if we're looking to woo back those who abandoned Labour for Brexit or this Scum Tory party then there's going to be a flood of xenophobes and racists with anti-Muslim/anti-black social media posts. I assume the centrists are fine if they lend their vote.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Kier did say that those saying that the reports of antisemitism were exaggerated are part of the problem and shouldn't be anywhere near Labour as well as the fact that the reports was robust and its findings had to be accepted
and corbyns statement did say that it was exaggerated and that he didn't accept all the findings
When pressed on this starmer has said he will look into the statement
I get the feeling Starmer does not want the fight but if he does then he will ask for Corbyn to retract the statement and to accept the report in full - gut feel he will try to avoid the fight (though id like to see him tackle it head on)

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/corby...olitical-opponents-over-ehrc-verdict-1.508022

abour leader Sir Keir Starmer was challenged several times about Mr Corbyn’s statement during a press conference Thursday.

“I’ll look carefully at what Jeremy Corbyn has said in full but I’ve said a moment ago and I’ll say it again, those that deny it’s a problem are part of the problem.

“Those that pretend it’s exaggerated or factional are part of the problem and under my leadership we will have zero tolerance of antisemitism."

jeff_goldblum

The report is probably fair enough in terms of its criticism of the various failings of the party as a whole, but the report, or at least, the headline media coverage of it, is laying the behaviour of the whole lot, including the actions of clearly anti-Corbyn actors, at the leadership's door. Misattributation of the blame is not in the best interests of the Jewish community, it's just politically convenient for people who oppose the left.

@Shamwow has covered some of my concerns above. Interference to clear people who were guilty to avoid press attention, or to prevent investigations of the leader or his allies should rightly be criticised. Interference to expedite cases that weren't progressing (often because incompetent or unmotivated anti-Corbyn party officials were sitting on them) shouldn't be criticised because, at the time, this is exactly what Jewish groups, including those who requested this report, were asking the leadership to do. There's also a clear attempt to roll all interference by LOTO into one and imply it was all self-serving and negative, when the evidence shows most interferences were to ask for tougher sanctions or faster resolution, again, as was requested by Jewish organisations.

As others have also pointed out above, a lack of training for caseworkers clearly didn't start in 2015. It was a pre-existing issue which only started to be addressed under Corbyn's leadership. If anything, that particular failure falls at the door of previous Labour leaders, and Formby's predecessor.

Ultimately, the report doesn't deliver the knockout blows the likes of sun wanted against Corbyn, so they've had to spin it to make it more damaging. It also fails to provide true accountability for any of it, which should be a big disappointment for those who claim to care about tackling antisemitism. The only good thing that comes out of this is hopefully a roadmap forwards, where there's an open, capable and accountable disciplinary process which no leader can influence for better or worse.

Shamwow

The reasoning is pretty transparent. Iain Austin just said on Sky News that we could have avoided all of this if Corbyn had just stood down, not sure you're supposed to say that bit out loud Iain.

Anyway i'm glad the report is out as you say it gives Labour a platform to put in place what is actually needed. Starmer is in charge now so presumably the anti-semites have all melted or something and we can carry on without pretending a leader is representative of a minority that cause complaints.

I hope so anyway because if we're looking to woo back those who abandoned Labour for Brexit or this Scum Tory party then there's going to be a flood of xenophobes and racists with anti-Muslim/anti-black social media posts. I assume the centrists are fine if they lend their vote.
That's a bit presumptuous. I'm more interested in what should be happening now rather than hypotheticals. Apologies, implement EHRC recommendations, sort out the endemic Transphobia in the party - including removing the whip from Rosie Duffield - and push for the Tories to be investigated for their rampant racism and covering up of it as well.

MikeUpNorth

Ultimately, the report doesn't deliver the knockout blows the likes of sun wanted against Corbyn, so they've had to spin it to make it more damaging.
If that's the case, why has Corbyn rejected the findings of the report?

Shamwow

He probably doesn't accept the part about interference as that is what everyone including Jewish groups was telling him he had to do at the time.

jeff_goldblum

For the reasons outlined in the rest of my post. Misattributation of blame and incoherent criticism.

Edit - as Shamwow says above. Also, he says he doesn't support all of the findings, not that he rejects the whole lot. Please try to find the nuance.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I don't think he said that did he? There is only the one statement from him I assume?

My statement following the publication of the EHRC report:

“Antisemitism is absolutely abhorrent, wrong and responsible for some of humanity’s greatest crimes. As Leader of the Labour Party I was always determined to eliminate all forms of racism and root out the cancer of antisemitism. I have campaigned in support of Jewish people and communities my entire life and I will continue to do so.

“The EHRC’s report shows that when I became Labour leader in 2015, the Party’s processes for handling complaints were not fit for purpose. Reform was then stalled by an obstructive party bureaucracy. But from 2018, Jennie Formby and a new NEC that supported my leadership made substantial improvements, making it much easier and swifter to remove antisemites. My team acted to speed up, not hinder the process.

“Anyone claiming there is no antisemitism in the Labour Party is wrong. Of course there is, as there is throughout society, and sometimes it is voiced by people who think of themselves as on the left.

“Jewish members of our party and the wider community were right to expect us to deal with it, and I regret that it took longer to deliver that change than it should.

“One antisemite is one too many, but the scale of the problem was also dramatically overstated for political reasons by our opponents inside and outside the party, as well as by much of the media. That combination hurt Jewish people and must never be repeated.

“My sincere hope is that relations with Jewish communities can be rebuilt and those fears overcome. While I do not accept all of its findings, I trust its recommendations will be swiftly implemented to help move on from this period.”
https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/corby...olitical-opponents-over-ehrc-verdict-1.508022

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer was challenged several times about Mr Corbyn’s statement during a press conference Thursday.

“I’ll look carefully at what Jeremy Corbyn has said in full but I’ve said a moment ago and I’ll say it again, those that deny it’s a problem are part of the problem.

“Those that pretend it’s exaggerated or factional are part of the problem and under my leadership we will have zero tolerance of antisemitism."
I think Starmer is going to be pressed on this... will be interesting to see how it plays out

Last edited:

MikeUpNorth

He probably doesn't accept the part about interference as that is what everyone including Jewish groups was telling him he had to do at the time.
They certainly didn't tell him his office should interfere in the complaints process to block any investigation of complaints about Corbyn himself.