Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Dr. StrangeHate

Its simpler than that. Trevor Chinn, a lobbyist for Israel, gave him (not the party, starmer personally) £50,000.

As when Google took him out for the day and when private health investor John Armitage gave him money, suddently they became pro AI and pro provate health, so it is with Israel.
£50,000 is not much for him surely. I don't know his background but Sancho won't even get out of bed for £500k a week. Changing your views for £50k doesn't seem likely to me.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I would say for most this is a non issue people care about health, education, crime and the economy, they are the policies that won you an election and the ones I'd say the majority of people vote for, foreign policy outside of immigration is not a key issue I'd say people even think about by and large with their voting intention it'd just something that happens when the government forms and takes power.

Most parties in this country are putting out the same statements on this which tells you they all feel that most people won't be fussed by this come voting time which is probably right.
I think you’re underestimating the UK public a bit here. Foreign policy will differentiate voters especially if there is minimal differentiation on the key issues that you mention. We’re seeing that minimal differentiation with Labour’s move to the right. The Palestine issue was the straw that broke the camel’s back, not just for me but a significant portion of Labour voters.

Gavinb33

I think you’re underestimating the UK public a bit here. Foreign policy will differentiate voters especially if there is minimal differentiation on the key issues that you mention. We’re seeing that minimal differentiation with Labour’s move to the right. The Palestine issue was the straw that broke the camel’s back, not just for me but a significant portion of Labour voters.
The swing from conservatives to labour will offset any losses from this issue in a big way most likely, of course I could be wrong but I can't see the losses outweighing the gains and the losses almost certainly won't vote Tory

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Don't vote for this guy but don't vote for the fecking tories either. There's always a good independent candidate out there who you can vote for instead.

TheGame

What is so fecking hard about calling for a ceasefire, release of all hostages and condemning Hamas well? Put pressure on countries like Qatar to get Hamas to release the hostages. How many more bombings is there going to be where women and children are killed under the auspices of targeting Hamas. This position is a fecking joke.

Running scared of the right wing again. The state of politicians in this country, feck me.

Tropical Bob

What is so fecking hard about calling for a ceasefire, release of all hostages and condemning Hamas well? Put pressure on countries like Qatar to get Hamas to release the hostages. How many more bombings is there going to be where women and children are killed under the auspices of targeting Hamas. This position is a fecking joke.

Running scared of the right wing again. The state of politicians in this country, feck me.
It's seems pretty clear now that he's staying absolutely in line with whatever Joe Biden does, so that when Starmer becomes Prime Minister he's in his good books. Absolutely tragic, but that's surely what's happening. Even Alastair Campbell admitted as much in his podcast, which I was quite surprised about.

Liz Kendall was spouting the same crap today when being grilled about the use of white phosphorus in crowded areas, saying that politicians shouldn't comment on such things. But then goes on to say that Starmer is qualified to say that a ceasefire now would embolden Hamas.

nickm

You think Starmer calling for a ceasefire is going to put pressure on Quatar? It's not starmers position that's a joke, it's the vanity of this thinking. If you want Starmer to posture at least be honest about why. Quatar doesn't care what the UK thinks. We have no sway in the middle east and starmer is not in power anyway, there no point in getting angry about it.

TheGame

You think Starmer calling for a ceasefire is going to put pressure on Quatar? It's not starmers position that's a joke, it's the vanity of this thinking. If you want Starmer to posture at least be honest about why. Quatar doesn't care what the UK thinks. We have no sway in the middle east and starmer is not in power anyway, there no point in getting angry about it.
I was calling for Starmer to call a ceasefire not just nod his head to whatever America is doing. The Qatar thing is obviously for the people in power because they seem to have a dialogue with Hamas.

I can’t not get angry while Politicans dither and show no backbone and innocent people keep on dying.

Dobba

Already looking forward to the poor Starmer Party sap who'll come to my door to explain why my GE abstention is a mistake as I should be doing my utmost to give power to an abstainer.

Stumbling to a position that Jess Phillips couldn't support. Jess Phillips.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Turmoil. His leadership here is likely to result in another 5 years of Tory chaos.

There are some big names on there, both for now and the future.

It’s a strange time in Parliament.

Kaos

Starmer really shot himself in the foot here, and for no good reason either.

There would have been little consequence to him just letting his MPs vote freely, its hardly an amendment personally critical of Israel. Yet he's chosen to double down on his pro-Israeli stance and as a result has conjured up inner turmoil at a time when he should have an open goal against a Tory party in utter chaos.

He's been so desperate to paint himself as the anti-Corbyn, that he's pivoted all the way to other end.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It’s the paragraph beneath the organogram.
You mean Martin Taylor, the fund manager? Any fund manager investing in Russia will own some oil stocks cos they make up such a large portion of the index. To brand money from a fund manager 'Russian oil money' is laughably untrue though.

On that basis, pretty much every pension fund in the UK pre-2022 was taking 'Russian oil money' from their investments in BP.

Drainy

Starmer really shot himself in the foot here, and for no good reason either.

There would have been little consequence to him just letting his MPs vote freely, its hardly an amendment personally critical of Israel. Yet he's chosen to double down on his pro-Israeli stance and as a result has conjured up inner turmoil at a time when he should have an open goal against a Tory party in utter chaos.

He's been so desperate to paint himself as the anti-Corbyn, that he's pivoted all the way to other end.
You mean the opposite of someone who led a period of antisemitism in the Labour party.

Not an opinion, a fact according to the Equality and Human Rights Commission