Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Fluctuation0161

Four in five Labour members back Keir Starmer, polling shows

Leader’s ejection of far-left members has changed composition of party since 2020, as belief in general election win grows

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...k-keir-starmer-showing-rout-of-the-corbynites

Four in five Labour members back Keir Starmer and believe he will win a majority at the next election, according to private polling that shows the transformation of the party’s grassroots.

Two polls shared with the Guardian demonstrate how the composition of Labour’s membership has changed since Starmer was elected leader in April 2020.

Since then his advisers have embarked on a mission to change the party, starting with the proscription of several far-left groups that had been supportive of Jeremy Corbyn.

“There has absolutely been a deliberate strategy to change the membership,” one Labour official said. “The proscription of those groups was absolutely key because it sent a message that if you’re in any way affiliated with them, this is not the party for you.”

Within the past four years, the grassroots has shrunk by about 150,000 and undergone considerable churn.
Just another establishment tool now.

neverdie

Just another establishment tool now.
He was head of the CPS before all of this. I'd say he's been establishment for a long time.

The anti-"left" agenda was more for Tory voters than Labour voters. Alienate X number of Lab to win Y number of Tory and know that X numb. of Lab will not vote Tory anyway. Maybe they'll go Green or Lib Dem. Meanwhile, the Tory newspapers cannot claim he's soft or weak and it's not possible to be anti-Israel when the whole world is condemning it for genocide right now. He'll walk to an overwhelming election landslide imo.

Dobba

Has Starmer's patriotism, that lead to him plastering the flag all over everything, lead to him commenting on Israel murdering three British citizens yet? Or do Nike have to design a commemorative shirt for them before he'll get riled up enough to comment?

Kaos

Has Starmer's patriotism, that lead to him plastering the flag all over everything, lead to him commenting on Israel murdering three British citizens yet? Or do Nike have to design a commemorative shirt for them before he'll get riled up enough to comment?
He'll insist that any condemnation of murdering British aid workers is first caveated with insistence on Hamas releasing the hostages.

Fluctuation0161

He was head of the CPS before all of this. I'd say he's been establishment for a long time.

The anti-"left" agenda was more for Tory voters than Labour voters. Alienate X number of Lab to win Y number of Tory and know that X numb. of Lab will not vote Tory anyway. Maybe they'll go Green or Lib Dem. Meanwhile, the Tory newspapers cannot claim he's soft or weak and it's not possible to be anti-Israel when the whole world is condemning it for genocide right now. He'll walk to an overwhelming election landslide imo.
I meant the Labour party under Starmer. But yes, of course.

I think the Starmer "strategy" has been poor. Luckily for them the Tories have imploded, the Liz Truss debacle alone would be enough to lose power, but combined with all of the other mistakes they have made so publicly is diabolical.

A monkey as leader of the opposition could get elected in the next GE.

Giggsyking

He has done a very remarkable job in the Labour party, according to her, there are very few who dare to show support for Palestine.

Anyone sympathetic to the Palestinian cause should never vote for this genocide supporting donkey.

neverdie

The political instincts of L.B. kick in as you can tell she knows the lady's sentiment is way out of whack with public perception. Just a baffled "ignore this lady". Politicians for you, some just blow with the wind.

Kaos

He has done a very remarkable job in the Labour party, according to her, there are very few who dare to show support for Palestine.

Anyone sympathetic to the Palestinian cause should never vote for this genocide supporting donkey.
Absolute cnuts. Can't even bring myself to vote for these genocide huggers for even the local elections now.

nickm

I meant the Labour party under Starmer. But yes, of course.

I think the Starmer "strategy" has been poor. Luckily for them the Tories have imploded, the Liz Truss debacle alone would be enough to lose power, but combined with all of the other mistakes they have made so publicly is diabolical.

A monkey as leader of the opposition could get elected in the next GE.
Starmer's strategy hasn't been poor, it's just not one you like or agree with. But you can't say it is poor when it is working. Could he have taken more risks? Probably yes, I wish he had, but I can see why he hasn't - it's an understandable strategy, not a poor one, and he is heavily constrained by economic realities.

All any opposition can do is prepare for when a government eventually loses its popularity - and they all eventually do. He's done that.

I'll be voting Labour at the next election.

But I think Labour is in for a very rough ride in government and they will need their defenders, which not many of you on this thread will be, and that is a shame given the alternatives.

Dobba

But I think Labour is in for a very rough ride in government and they will need their defenders, which not many of you on this thread will be, and that is a shame given the alternatives.
Absolutely, Nick. I remember you being one of the biggest defenders of Corbyn when the alternative was the Tories after all.

nickm

Absolutely, Nick. I remember you being one of the biggest defenders of Corbyn when the alternative was the Tories after all.
You chose the unelectable Corbyn, you defended him, and in doing so you helped hand the country to the Tories. And I told you so at the time. So I'll take no lectures from you!

Drainy

I liked quite a number of Corbyns policies though he was a clown in some respects.

Voted Labour regardless.

I'm someone who probably is now comfortably off enough to experience the benefits of a conservative government in the long term if they implement their tax plans, but they are literally destroying the country so that is more important

Dobba

You chose the unelectable Corbyn, you defended him, and in doing so you helped hand the country to the Tories. And I told you so at the time. So I'll take no lectures from you!
Good to see defending Labour regardless, because of the alternatives, lasted long Nick.

I'm sure you'll find some cnuts who hate themselves enough to defend the Israel has the right to starve Gaza guy if you look hard enough.

Halftrack

I think Corbyn was perfectly electable, if not for people like you.

Raven

You labour rightists are freaks. We have one lad calling people voting against Starmer Tory supporters, having not voted for Corbyn because... Reasons. Then we have another lad fantasising about Corbyn greasing his asshole.

For me, at the next election you have a choice between short term pain, Tories getting elected again, and long term pain, the labour right winning and imposing another generation worth of austerity and neoliberalism. We've missed the chance for genuine change because freaks decided that austerity and corruption was better than Corbyn (emphasis on freaks), now we have these same people acting holier than thou because they've got their dream of Tory 1 and Tory 2 being the options. You are Tory supporters, you just can't admit to it.

neverdie

For once, the old mantra about global phenomena will be truthful when it comes to what Labour does when in power. Global Markets, and their general restructuring, will shape a large part of what Labour sells you rhetorically (probably been the case for a long time, but we rarely witness periods of such massive upheaval -- at least, it is a generational experience).

Housing, healthcare, education. That's what will count when all is said and done. They have to deliver on those three or as the poster above says there is just a long-term pain instead of a short-term pain.

Drainy

You labour rightists are freaks. We have one lad calling people voting against Starmer Tory supporters, having not voted for Corbyn because... Reasons. Then we have another lad fantasising about Corbyn greasing his asshole.

For me, at the next election you have a choice between short term pain, Tories getting elected again, and long term pain, the labour right winning and imposing another generation worth of austerity and neoliberalism. We've missed the chance for genuine change because freaks decided that austerity and corruption was better than Corbyn (emphasis on freaks), now we have these same people acting holier than thou because they've got their dream of Tory 1 and Tory 2 being the options. You are Tory supporters, you just can't admit to it.
'Short term pain'.

Wow

TheGame

14 years is short term pain, wow.

As ever always someone else’s fault not Corbyn’s. The man who fecking gave us further years of Tory misery. You don’t even know how people on this thread voted yet make assumptions.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
:houllier: What a nonsensical post.

Dobba

'Short term pain'.

Wow

As ever always someone else’s fault not Corbyn’s. The man who fecking gave us further years of Tory misery. You don’t even know how people on this thread voted yet make assumptions.
The person you want running the economy proudly stated she's pleased Corbyn isn't PM, i.e. we've had five more years of Tories.

Yet more performative shite :lol:.

neverdie

I think he meant that the Tories' neoliberal mantra would be defeated, absolutely, as opposed to a rebranding of it by a right-wing Labour. It's not necessarily true but it's hardly an unorthodox opinion.

Drainy

All we need is 5 more years of Tory cronyism, covering up their corruption, further cuts to taxes and services, further restrictions on our rights and then surely the public will vote for a left wing candidate.. they won't just be brainwashed into thinking that this is the new normal

It's interesting listening to Alistair Campbell talking about 1997, because they ran in a very conservative manner fiscally to win the trust of the public and as they improved the economy they were able to get into their stride with better Labour policies and bring the country with them.

Obviously New Labour fecked up with their approach to Iraq and the aftermath of 9/11 and 7/7 but surely any rational person would say they were still better than a conservative alternative at the time...

Raven

'Short term pain'.

Wow
Yes, one more election cycle rather than another 30-40 years of it, not particularly difficult to understand I don't think.

Good reading comprehension there bud, glad you replied.

Dobba

So it’s her fault Corbyn isn’t elected not the fact he didn’t make himself electable? Like I said always someone else to blame.
I mean you could just stick to believing in something for more than five seconds. You waffling on about someone 'supporting the Tories' because they've determined that five more years is a short term issue, when you're literally supporting someone who admitted being pleased we've the current five years more to run the fecking economy, isn't my fault is it?
It's interesting listening to Alistair Campbell...
Why would you be doing that, as him campaigning for the Lib Dems at the last election surely means he supported the current five more years of Tories?

Oh yeah, the performative shite stuff.

Raven

All we need is 5 more years of Tory cronyism, covering up their corruption, further cuts to taxes and services, further restrictions on our rights and then surely the public will vote for a left wing candidate.. they won't just be brainwashed into thinking that this is the new normal

It's interesting listening to Alistair Campbell talking about 1997, because they ran in a very conservative manner fiscally to win the trust of the public and as they improved the economy they were able to get into their stride with better Labour policies and bring the country with them.

Obviously New Labour fecked up with their approach to Iraq and the aftermath of 9/11 and 7/7 but surely any rational person would say they were still better than a conservative alternative at the time...
You think that the labour right aren't gonna be up to their eyeballs in cronyism and corruption, you're hilarious.

Dobba

You think that the labour right aren't gonna be up to their eyeballs in cronyism and corruption, you're hilarious.
How dare you suggest the Labour right would conduct cronyism.

Now get back to campaigning for the Shadow Chancellor's sister, the Shadow Health Secretary's partner and the Chief of Staff's son to win their seats as Labour candidates.

TheGame

I mean you could just stick to believing in something for more than five seconds. You waffling on about someone 'supporting the Tories' because they've determined that five more years is a short term issue, when you're literally supporting someone who admitted being pleased we've the current five years more to run the fecking economy, isn't my fault is it?

Why would you be doing that, as him campaigning for the Lib Dems at the last election surely means he supported the current five more years of Tories?

Oh yeah, the performative shite stuff.
Nah just sick of more excuses being made for Corbyn. Always someone else’s fault for him not being elected. Just because someone made a retrospective comment about him not being elected then it must be her fault he wasn’t. He’s not even a Labour MP anymore. And there you go making assumptions for who I support because I point out hypocrisy.

Dobba

Nah just sick of more excuses being made for Corbyn. Always someone else’s fault for him not being elected. Just because someone made a retrospective comment about him not being elected then it must be her fault he wasn’t. He’s not even a Labour MP anymore. And there you go making assumptions for who I support because I point out hypocrisy.
That 'someone', once again, being the person you want running the economy and that comment being her pleasure that we haven't had a Labour PM that she didn't like.

Because it turns out some randomers on a forum face your fury, but not who you want running a country on the exact same issue. Oh and it's not an assumption when you throw this much of a tantrum when someone isn't going to be voting Labour. We're still getting over you throwing your toys around when Owen Jones left the party, we don't need to get Sherlock on the case to work out who you support.