Kepa Arrizabalaga

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Don't get criticism of him for the game yesterday, was headed down with pace from six yards out, wouldn't expect him to save. Defence is far more culpable allowing a free header 6 yards out.

The reason we lost is failing to score 1 goal in 94 minutes despite having 70% of the ball.

AKDevil

He should save that. Hayden’s tough diverts then all closet to him, is far from a powerful touch and fact he ends up getting half a forearm on it rather than enough of a body part or hands to keep it out does not say much for his hand eye coordination/reactions.

Classical Mechanic

xG doesn't say a lot about gk though. You want to look at post-shot xG(which is perhaps the single best metric we have to judge a player's peeformance). I think he's still doing badly there too

Baffling player. Starting to look a bit Karius-y - great physical tools, horrible technique and decision making
It does say a lot, it says how many saveable shots they are letting in or how many shots they wouldn’t reasonably be expected to save they are keeping out. It’s one part of goalkeeping but a massively important one.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It does say a lot, it says how many saveable shots they are letting in or how many shots they wouldn’t reasonably be expected to save they are keeping out. It’s one part of goalkeeping but a massively important one.
Nope. xGA doesn't account for the quality of the shots, nor the number of saves. It's a metric for determining the quality of a team's defending, not the goalkeeper. A team can generate an xG of 4 and score 0 goals and the gk still finish the game with 0 saves, for example

Save % and shots on target xGA are decent/good metrics. Post-shot xGA(which accounts for the quality of the shot) is the best

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Save % and shots on target xGA are decent/good metrics. Post-shot xGA(which accounts for the quality of the shot) is the best
Without knowing more than what you just wrote about it, my assumption is that Alisson wouldn't fare very well in that metric, as he often stresses players into less optimal shots and/or closes down the angles by coming out of his goal quickly.
How do you measure quality of a shot that is stopped by the keeper at point blank range to the finisher?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Without knowing more than what you just wrote about it, my assumption is that Alisson wouldn't fare very well in that metric, as he often stresses players into less optimal shots and/or closes down the angles by coming out of his goal quickly.
How do you measure quality of a shot that is stopped by the keeper at point blank range to the finisher?
As it's a metric designed to evaluate gk's shot-stopping, the gk's positioning isn't taken into account

Alisson is predictably the best in the PL

cyberman

Saw this on Reddit..

He's literally rated 127th out of 132 goalkeepers in the top 7 European leagues for save percentage. That's not chances, that's not a bad defence, that is a bad player.

L1nk

Question, what made Chelsea buy him, and for that much? Was he some kind of supreme talent? I'd literally never even heard of him until Chelsea signed him, I don't remember him being raved about anywhere

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Question, what made Chelsea buy him, and for that much? Was he some kind of supreme talent? I'd literally never even heard of him until Chelsea signed him, I don't remember him being raved about anywhere
Not sure whether he was supreme talent but I remember he was always linked with Madrid as alternate for De Gea.

Chelsea had no option I guess, Courtois left very late in the window and IIRC Alisson rejected Chelsea.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Saw this on Reddit..

He's literally rated 127th out of 132 goalkeepers in the top 7 European leagues for save percentage. That's not chances, that's not a bad defence, that is a bad player.
On Reddit? It's literally on this page in this thread.

I guess your ignore function is doing it's job well!

Amerifan

Kepa Arrizabalaga has the worst save percentage of any keeper in the Premier League. 127th Out of 132 keepers from Europe's top seven leagues Kepa ranks 127th in save percentage

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepers/Premier-League-Stats
Sort it by save%.
Thanks for the numbers. Why is this not surprising. He seems overwhelmed and somewhat clueless too many times. Whether that’s on him or a defense he needs more time to get to know is unclear.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He had a number of monster performances that suggested his top level might be very high. A relatively young modern goalkeeper with a very high ceiling, who mostly needed to find consistency

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
With the tagline of "most expensive GK in the world", chelsea could have gone and gotten Jan Oblak. I can only surmise that some kind of money laundering is involved in signing Kepa. Even at Bilbao, he never have looked superior to other top names. What is his defining quality really?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
With the tagline of "most expensive GK in the world", chelsea could have gone and gotten Jan Oblak. I can only surmise that some kind of money laundering is involved in signing Kepa. Even at Bilbao, he never have looked superior to other top names. What is his defining quality really?
It was his release clause and athletic Bilbao don't negotiate fee.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
We went for Oblak but he had no interest in leaving.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
They are stuck with him, aren't they? Can't spend that kind of money on a keeper without at least recouping a fair wad of it before moving on.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Saw this on Reddit..

More stats in graph form:

The higher up the worse the defence. The further along the X-axis the better the keeper

duffer

Scout
They are stuck with him, aren't they? Can't spend that kind of money on a keeper without at least recouping a fair wad of it before moving on.
We've loaned out £50 million+ terrible signings before and let them go on a free. With inflation this would a similar story.

I've not given up hope yet but if he can't turn it around, we've got experience with binning off awful, big money signings.

Varun1

The higher up the worse the defence. The further along the X-axis the better the keeper
Does that make Dean Henderson the 2nd best at saves?

I remember when Real almost signed Kepa and ZZ pulled the plug (because of his son?). The rest is history!!

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Not like he makes howlers, he just doesn't make any saves. There is no expectation that hes going to stop a shot if you shoot from inside or around the area.

Last edited:

meamth

Discounted version of De Gea, seems like a handsome latin bloke with a spanish-like technicality. Fooled the Chelsea scouts.

Luckily our De Gea already established himself as a top level keeper, despite his recent form..

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Liverpool opponents can't shoot to save their lives and Alisson is great

Chelsea opponents shoot light out and Kepa can't save anything

GSAA% would tell us more

Robbie Boy

I don't get the sudden criticism. He has literally never been a supreme talent. The overrating of him from Chelsea fans early on was laughable, this is in and around his level.

meamth

I don't get the sudden criticism. He has literally never been a supreme talent. The overrating of him from Chelsea fans early on was laughable, this is in and around his level.
This is a backlash to all the Chelsea fans who insulted De Gea because they thought they had the best Spanish keeper.

You can go to twitter and see the insults mate.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
This is a backlash to all the Chelsea fans who insulted De Gea because they thought they had the best Spanish keeper.

If we're going down that road, doesn't his current season make it all the more damming/hilarious that DDG lost his national place to him?

duffer

Scout

I'd the insults are on Twitter, I wish people would reply on Twitter rather than darken this website with that kind of idiocy.

TheReligion

Abusive
I guess the OP (or whoever changed the title) wanted this thread to be about talking about how good or terrible Kepa is, rather than endless "my dad is better than your dad" type jibes.
I think it's a fair comparison given they are both Spanish and from the same club in Spain, and same academy. It's only natural people will compare their progress in the PL as it's as good a benchmark as there is?

duffer

Scout
I think it's a fair comparison given they are both Spanish and from the same club in Spain, and same academy. It's only natural people will compare their progress in the PL as it's as good a benchmark as there is?
I don't disagree with that in principle but I can see why the OP might not want a hundred "omg, DDG is so much better' posts spamming the thread every time Kepa does anything.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't disagree with that in principle but I can see why the OP might not want a hundred "omg, DDG is so much better' posts spamming the thread every time Kepa does anything.
Yeah I agree. There's a difference although the title suggests comparing the two is off limits when it shouldn't be providing it's done correctly.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Turns out the keeper called Kepa is actually shit at keeping. This keeps getting better and better. Sadly, Kepa does not. Not at keeping anyway. Will Chelsea consider him a keeper?