Kepa | Most expensive kepa ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick08

I think he is the best for the way we play, he is an incredible shot stopper. The new style managers do not want that now, they want goalkeepers who can play with their feet and are almost another outfield player.
Ain't Lvg asked the same with De gea and we dint see any such weakness in De gea's game back then.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ain't Lvg asked the same with De gea and we dint see any such weakness in De gea's game back then.
Maybe, but Jose isn't asking his goalie to play out from the back, he is asking him to save our skins at times and that is precisely what that lad is doing thank goodness. Some of the other teams are just trying to keep the ball away from the opposition and outgun them.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
the best in the Premier League for the past few years has easily been Curtois, but he’s done it steadily rather than spectacularly like DDG so people don’t acknowledge his superiority.
To be fair, you have to have a very high football IQ to understand Thibaut Courtois. His abilty is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of of the coaching of professional goalkeepers, most of his attributes will go over a typical football fan's head

etc...

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
De Gea’s not the best though - he conceded a number of very savable goals every season (especially at his near post) while his reluctance to come off his line for crosses etc invites a lot of shots that other keepers would prevent via interception. Romero doesn’t concede many when he plays either, yet doesn’t seem to make as many spectacular saves, because his more dominant style means he doesn’t need to. The turning point in the title race last season was the Leicester game, where Maguire scored at the back post from a long punt into the six yard box which De Gea should have collected with ease - instead he’s glued to the line as usual, and the rest is history.

Oblak is the main man for me, then there’s a number of others just behind him; Mattia Perin is finally going to be recognised as the new Buffon, Alisson is also right up there....the best in the Premier League for the past few years has easily been Curtois, but he’s done it steadily rather than spectacularly like DDG so people don’t acknowledge his superiority.
:lol:

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
The Chelsea board have been caught napping but at least they appear to have resolved the issue. Yes they are paying over the top but lets see how the goal keeper market and Kepa go over the next 5 years. He may yet turn out to be a good keeper.

Lets also see how they go with the negotiations for Courtois. They appear to be after a cash and loan deal for Mateo Kovacic. If they can pull that off I think they will have had a reasonable window. There are other rumours about new players coming in but they need to offload a load of players. Apparently Kurt Zouma is going to Everton and I also think Rubens Loftus Cheek will go out on loan. They also have too many forwards and need to let one of Morata, Giroud and Batshuayi go so the board are going to be very busy offloading.

Patrick08

To be fair, you have to have a very high football IQ to understand Thibaut Courtois. His abilty is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of of the coaching of professional goalkeepers, most of his attributes will go over a typical football fan's head

etc...
He has Edwin Van Der sar like Attributes.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
This isn't really correct mate. It was the line towed by the media and whoever blindly repeated it (many on here and almost all opposition fans who didn't see as much of us). He wasn't strong on set pieces sure, but it was majorly exaggerated and it was obvious how good he was by watching him.
It was obvious he was a talented goalkeeper, but I definitely remember him having a few poor moments and Fergie taking him out of the firing line as a result. You don't really have to be 'bad' for the media in this country to identify you as a target, hence why there would be so much pressure on Kepa, if he isn't instaneously excellent with a fee like that hanging over his head he'll be crucified.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
It must be really annoying for Chelsea fans to lose Courtois for so cheap and pay that much for a replacement.
Don't think many of the fans are annoyed really tbh, or it doesn't seem the general opinion across social media.

Most wanted gone really and a lot really dislike him now, it was more a worry that we were going to cheap out on a replacement but Chelsea fans should be happy with the decision.

A young rated keeper, with apparently class potential and a big fee to match (Shows we still have ambition)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Don't think many of the fans are annoyed really tbh, or it doesn't seem the general opinion across social media.

Most wanted gone really and a lot really dislike him now, it was more a worry that we were going to cheap out on a replacement but Chelsea fans should be happy with the decision.

A young rated keeper, with apparently class potential and a big fee to match (Shows we still have ambition)
Does it? The whole thing looks like desperation to me

ZlatMan

You gotta feel for Liverpool. Just when you think they capture the world's attention, they get swept under the carpet :lol:

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Does it? The whole thing looks like desperation to me
Yeah it does.

We were desperate for a keeper as ours was leaving that's the long and short of it.

We could've signed Butland or schmeichel but have gone for a more ambitious option and one that should suit Sarri's style more so the manager is being backed.

The Kovacic deal has a lot to do with us paying this amount for Kepa too.

Andersons Dietician

You gotta feel for Liverpool. Just when you think they capture the world's attention, they get swept under the carpet :lol:
To be honest it’s probably a good thing for them and the keeper. That tag of having the most expensive keeper in the world will be gone so it can’t be dragged out all the time and it might take away some of the media attention on him. Because let’s face it we know that the moment one of these two makes the slightest error the press and oppo fans are going to be on them.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea

This guy says he's been closely following Kepa throughout his career so far. Also says he may be slightly ahead of DDG was when he first joined United. Will take time to settle but could be amazing when he does.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag

This guy says he's been closely following Kepa throughout his career so far. Also says he may be slightly ahead of DDG was when he first joined United. Will take time to settle but could be amazing when he does.
So, he's 23 and ahead of a 21 year old De Gea when he joined United?

izec

Yes. Dont get the negativity. It was the right move. Better to spend big on a talented guy. Reminds me of young Dave. Now that Real and Barca have top GKs for quite some time, you will be looking for 10+ years without worrying for that position. With Butland, you would be looking for a bew keeper in a season or two, i dont think he has it in him to be no1 at a top club

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Yes. Dont get the negativity. It was the right move. Better to spend big on a talented guy. Reminds me of young Dave. Now that Real and Barca have top GKs for quite some time, you will be looking for 10+ years without worrying for that position. With Butland, you would be looking for a bew keeper in a season or two, i dont think he has it in him to be no1 at a top club
I agree. I was someone who just a week or so ago would've been content with Butland. Wouldn't have been a flashy, exciting keeper but one who I thought would do a good job.

But this kid Kepa looks like he could go straight to the top. Maybe even give DDG a run for the #1 shirt for Spain.

Doctor Tornasol

Supports
Football
That's something that amazed a lot of people here last winter when he was about to sign for Real Madrid: he really is a composed and strong character. Whenever he talked, with all the pressure of being in his last contract year and about to sign for Real Madrid, a complete insult whenever it happens to Athletic for their basque nationalist supporters, you know, Madrid, the capital, el diablo, etc etc, knowing how mad Athletic deal with those who abandon their romantic ship... and he was always chill, never a wrong word.

andriyleu

Supports
Chelsea
Then those people are idiots and shouldn't be allowed opinions

Writing off a player who's proved he's the best week in week due to less than a handful of games in an international tournament? Like I said idiots
Most of people here dont watch Premier League, they just follow La Liga (Madrid or Barcelona) and watch english teams only in CL where they have been doing bad lately.

DomesticTadpole

Think people are forgetting, but for a hitch DDG wouldn't be here. It is a miracle that he is, because we wouldn't be finishing as high without him, which is not right.

Patrick08

Think people are forgetting, but for a hitch DDG wouldn't be here. It is a miracle that he is, because we wouldn't be finishing as high without him, which is not right.
He could have gone next summer when the buyout clause was there. He just dint wanna go Awol as Madrid and Barcelona ask players to reduce the Price and he was in madrids bad books pretty soon.

dove

Just proves how clueless Chelsea's management is. They knew it for ages that Courtois is leaving and should have signed Kepa back in January for £20M. I am sure he is a talented keeper but £72M is ridiculous.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Just proves how clueless Chelsea's management is. They knew it for ages that Courtois is leaving and should have signed Kepa back in January for £20M. I am sure he is a talented keeper but £72M is ridiculous.
Courtois has repeatedly suggested that he was open to signing an extension. The club must've thought up until just the last week or two that it was still possible. Him refusing to show up to training changed things.

DomesticTadpole

Courtois has repeatedly suggested that he was open to signing an extension. The club must've thought up until just the last week or two that it was still possible. Him refusing to show up to training changed things.
The fact that Bibao sent their third choice goalie out on a seasons loan obviously thinking Kepa was first choice and Herrerin his backup, the other needed games. Now Herrerin is first choice which is not a problem, but then it will be a real drop in quality or experience to his backup. Unless they can get someone in. This shows it has all come out of the blue.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Does all this mean that there is no top team in the world who would come de Gea? All the top teams would be sorted now...

Trizy

Surely for that money you could have Oblak? IMO the third best keeper in the world after DDG and Neuer.

onemanarmy

Not according to Belgian press... They have been sure he would leave, even months ago.

ti vu

That's what English clubs are being accused off. Being Too Reactive , including our club. Chelsea always knew their keeper wanted to leave and was stalling his contract.
I meant Kepa for this summer, not Courtois in case I am reading your post right (?)

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Not according to Belgian press... They have been sure he would leave, even months ago.
Chelsea always knew he would leave and this is totally beside the point. The team was perfectly happy to have Courtois run out his contract, and Courtois said repeatedly that he'd be willing to do so. That seemed to be the plan for the year, and now Courtois has dicked over the club by going AWOL 3 days before the window closes. Hard to blame the Chelsea board for this when your starting GK acts like a world class prat.

Patrick08

I meant Kepa for this summer, not Courtois in case I am reading your post right (?)
Nah, i meant if Chelsea wanted him and rated him so highly they should have moved in January itself or stopped him signing a contract with such huge release clause because of their own situation. Even if they dint expect Karius to make that Ucl final error or Liverpool beating them for Allison, one always should have more targets at once and plan better than what they did.

Madrid's Modus Operandi is pretty much the same in every situation these days. Wouldn't be surprised if Hazard stalls on a new contract as well for Madrid to pounce with a year left on his contract.

Last edited:

JMack1234

A highly rated young GK whose going to be under a lot of pressure to succeed from the get go. He could do a Karius.

Inter Yer Nan

He is, but De Gea was 20 and Kepa is 23. I do think Kepa will be a top 3 GK in the PL though probably this season.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Nah, i meant if Chelsea wanted him and rated him so highly they should have moved in January itself or stopped him signing a contract with such huge release clause because of their own situation. Even if they dint expect Karius to make that Ucl final error or Liverpool beating them for Allison, one always should have more targets at once and plan better than what they did.

The way Madrid plan their business is pretty much the same in every situation these days. Wouldn't be surprised if Hazard stalls on a new contract as well for Madrid to pounce with a year left on his contract.
The problem is that Kepa is not a great fit for a Conte system while he is a great fit for Sarri's. Also, Courtois consistently talked about how he'd be willing to sign an extension and that an extension was close - hard to justify spending that much on a backup goalkeeper when he seemed destined for Madrid & there were so many holes in the team that needed filling first.

RoyH1

Does all this mean that there is no top team in the world who would come de Gea? All the top teams would be sorted now...
I don't know how long Buffon will play for PSG for? Although they would probably just raid the team with the best keeper in Ligue 1.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why does he have to pay the release clause himself, in effect buying out his contract? Surely it would be less hassle and subsequent bureaucracy if another club could just pay that fee directly to the contract holder, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.