Kepa | Most expensive kepa ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Kepa is already on of the top GKs and he can be even better. IMO the 'is all about potential' is just a premier league fans meme/mantra for people who don't know very much about him because he didn't played for a big team. They said the same things about De Gea.

Two months ago the big discussion in Spain was 'De Gea or Kepa, who should the spanish NT nº1?'
De Gea was fortunate, he had a very poor start but played under a manager who was patient with him, took him out of the spotlight and didn't give up. He struggled at first to acclimatise to the league and was especially poor on set pieces, I can see the same happening to Kepa. The question is will Chelsea be as patient as United were? Will they believe in him or will it quickly turn toxic/he's not good enough/get rid etc. Look at Bravo for instance, some keepers coming from La Liga can struggle, it's a thing.

The pricetag will put colossal pressure on a young keeper, coming to a new country, where there are stylistic differences. He's not the biggest/most physical of keepers and that could be a problem. It's absolutely a big risk for Chelsea, and I don't think it's a case of 'premier league is so much better!!!' it's just that moving to a new league does bring difficulties.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm spanish and after the WC that De Gea played say thanks if he is worth more than 80-90M€. People here really stopped rating him as goalkeeper.
Then those people are idiots and shouldn't be allowed opinions

Writing off a player who's proved he's the best week in week due to less than a handful of games in an international tournament? Like I said idiots

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
That price is insane. Heard he's meant to be good though. Still the pressure on him immediately won't help.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea selling a world class goalkeeper for pittance and buying Spain's third choice for a world record! This is why we haven't bought anymore players, the stupid overpricing of players who aren't even top notch. I've said it a load of times, something has got to give, these over inflated fees are not healthy for the game.
You realise this has nothing to do with inflation and everything to do with the position TC has put Chelsea in.
It's their choice (albeit not much of one) to pay his release clause. It has zero correlation with the inflated market.

Shame though, I was hoping they'd be daft enough to buy Butland. Jorginho Kepa Fekir and Kovacic would be a brilliant window. Here's hoping they don't get all of them and it's just smoke and mirrors.

Patrick08

I think Keylor Navas should be good for chelsea. He is still a top keeper for a few seasons. Buying a young keeper for double the money you are selling your established keeper for is not a smart business at all.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Loads but unless he runs his contract down he's going nowhere. He's apparently nowhere near as highly rated in Spain as he is in England.
Because couple of frustrated Spanish and Madrid fans said after world cup?

Your first point is correct though. He won't go anywhere unless he runs down his contract.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Because couple of frustrated Spanish and Madrid fans said after world cup?

Your first point is correct though. He won't go anywhere unless he runs down his contract.
It's what most Spanish fans seem to say. It's pretty baffling for us premier league fans who've watched him do the business in the premier league.

roonster09

Scout
Don't think he's ever been that good for the Spanish NT.
Agree with that but also it's same like his start of ManUtd career. Every thing is overblown, he made one mistake and he got lot of shit because he didn't save one on ones, or top corner goals or penalties. (his shootout performance was awful diving at the same side).

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Agree with that but also it's same like his start of ManUtd career. Every thing is overblown, he made one mistake and he got lot of shit because he didn't save one on ones, or top corner goals or penalties. (his shootout performance was awful diving at the same side).
Most Spanish people will have seen him for the national team and in European competitions. Based on that body of work, he is nowhere near the reputation he's made for himself in the premier league.

roonster09

Scout
Most Spanish people will have seen him for the national team and in European competitions. Based on that body of work, he is nowhere near the reputation he's made for himself in the premier league.
Yeah sure, after all he plays in obscure league and no Spaniard watches any other leagues apart from la Liga isn't it?

Patrick08

If he didn't sign the new contract, he would be now a free agent.
That's what English clubs are being accused off. Being Too Reactive , including our club. Chelsea always knew their keeper wanted to leave and was stalling his contract.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah sure, after all he plays in obscure league and no Spaniard watches any other leagues apart from la Liga isn't it?
I reckon most will not be watching many united league games.

roonster09

Scout
I reckon most will not be watching many united league games.
If they don't watch games regularly, they will go by reports, or they will go by whatever little they watched him in the league.

Obviously De Gea was levels ahead of anyone in all the big games, and obviously most would watch big games. So how can anyone say they will rate him only for his Spain performance? No one is saying they will watch ManUtd vs Burnley, but most would watch ManUtd vs City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea.

It's just couple of spanish posters gave their opinion, somehow it's taken as gospel now.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
De Gea was fortunate, he had a very poor start but played under a manager who was patient with him, took him out of the spotlight and didn't give up. He struggled at first to acclimatise to the league and was especially poor on set pieces
This isn't really correct mate. It was the line towed by the media and whoever blindly repeated it (many on here and almost all opposition fans who didn't see as much of us). He wasn't strong on set pieces sure, but it was majorly exaggerated and it was obvious how good he was by watching him.

AgentP

It must be really annoying for Chelsea fans to lose Courtois for so cheap and pay that much for a replacement.

AgentP

This isn't really correct mate. It was the line towed by the media and whoever blindly repeated it (many on here and almost all opposition fans who didn't see as much of us). He wasn't strong on set pieces sure, but it was majorly exaggerated and it was obvious how good he was by watching him.
Yeah, it was obvious to all United fans who watched us play regularly that De Gea was a special player. He struggled a little bit with crosses but he more than made up for it with his world class saves. It was only the media and opposition fans who had serious doubts.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm not sure if I've seen this guy. Certainly not noticed him. How much is DDG worth given this price tag and the dipper's latest good-keeper-about-to-be-ruined?!

Andersons Dietician

I'm not sure if I've seen this guy. Certainly not noticed him. How much is DDG worth given this price tag and the dipper's latest good-keeper-about-to-be-ruined?!
Oblak has a 100mil release clause I think and for me he is the only one near DDG so you’d think somewhere in that sort of range probably a bit more even.
Never seen Kepa so I’ve no idea if he is any good, anyone seen much of him?

AP88

Supports
Man City

Writing off a player who's proved he's the best week in week due to less than a handful of games in an international tournament? Like I said idiots
De Gea’s not the best though - he conceded a number of very savable goals every season (especially at his near post) while his reluctance to come off his line for crosses etc invites a lot of shots that other keepers would prevent via interception. Romero doesn’t concede many when he plays either, yet doesn’t seem to make as many spectacular saves, because his more dominant style means he doesn’t need to. The turning point in the title race last season was the Leicester game, where Maguire scored at the back post from a long punt into the six yard box which De Gea should have collected with ease - instead he’s glued to the line as usual, and the rest is history.

Oblak is the main man for me, then there’s a number of others just behind him; Mattia Perin is finally going to be recognised as the new Buffon, Alisson is also right up there....the best in the Premier League for the past few years has easily been Curtois, but he’s done it steadily rather than spectacularly like DDG so people don’t acknowledge his superiority.

Castia

fecking crazy.

Football cant continue like this its becoming ridiculous. £17m in January and £70m a few months later? stupid.

De Gea must be worth about £180m in this market.

Zoo

De Gea’s not the best though - he conceded a number of very savable goals every season (especially at his near post) while his reluctance to come off his line for crosses etc invites a lot of shots that other keepers would prevent via interception. Romero doesn’t concede many when he plays either, yet doesn’t seem to make as many spectacular saves, because his more dominant style means he doesn’t need to. The turning point in the title race last season was the Leicester game, where Maguire scored at the back post from a long punt into the six yard box which De Gea should have collected with ease - instead he’s glued to the line as usual, and the rest is history.

Oblak is the main man for me, then there’s a number of others just behind him; Mattia Perin is finally going to be recognised as the new Buffon, Alisson is also right up there....the best in the Premier League for the past few years has easily been Curtois, but he’s done it steadily rather than spectacularly like DDG so people don’t acknowledge his superiority.
:lol:

Revan

Assumptionman

Good that Caf has real football professors like yourself who are able to recognize what us peasants cannot.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Good god. Either a good WUM or a terrible post.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
fecking crazy.

Football cant continue like this its becoming ridiculous. £17m in January and £70m a few months later? stupid.

De Gea must be worth about £180m in this market.
He signed a new contract and that is the clause they put in as they didn't really want to sell him, but Chelsea have come in with the money. They thought they had got rid of Real and Chelsea have done them instead. I am sure there is supposed to be a press conference today, about their games in Germany at the weekend. Will be interesting who does it or if they cancel it until this is announced officially.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Just feck off

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Fixed that for you. @Zoo

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Good god. Either a good WUM or a terrible post.
I think he is the best for the way we play, he is an incredible shot stopper. The new style managers do not want that now, they want goalkeepers who can play with their feet and are almost another outfield player.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think he is the best for the way we play, he is an incredible shot stopper. The new style managers do not want that now, they want goalkeepers who can play with their feet and are almost another outfield player.
And De Gea showed that he can do that during Van Gaal years. While not a keeper-sweeper, he was willing to leave the line more often than not.

diarm

There's been some real nonsense on the caf recently but that one might just take the biscuit.

De Gea saved 95 of 116 shots faced last season. Sky Sports also released stats on expected goals, that's saves that keepers have no right to be making, and De Gea had made 13 of them. Courtois hadn't made a single one.

There is a decent list of keepers in the Premier League who are better than Courtois while there is no list of keepers anywhere who are better than De Gea. Some people are so busy trying to be contrary that they'd call the sky green if they thought it might give them a bit of hipster personality.

MadMike

So long as Curtois goes to Real and (more importantly) Dave renews, I don't get who Chelsea get I'll be happy regardless.

Doctor Tornasol

Supports
Football

Why? Why you talking that way when you have absolutely no idea why at least half of the people here in Spain want Kepa as 1st choice GK ahead of De Gea? He's a GK different to David, for a lot of people De Gea's style simply doesn't suit the national team. Plus he had some kind of strange anxiety whenever he's been playing for Spain lately due to the Torbe affair, clashing not with the common people as even those who dislike De Gea don't usually mess with that topic, but with the mass media and even the current spanish president who made some comments about him in the past when he was a candidate, and De Gea looked absolutely burnt out lately.

There are 2 De Geas: the one playing for United and the one playing for Spain. The first one is world class weekly, the second one has proven to many people he doesn't fit. If you don't understand this, you understand nothing about De Gea's situation in the national team. It's not about the last World Cup, it's been this way since he became 1st choice, even when Spain was playing nice under Lopetegui a lot of people pointed at him.

I don't have an opinion on NT's De Gea, about Kepa playing ahead of him I mean. I think it's fair to give him a last chance, moreso with a new coach like Luis Enrique -I can't see De Gea fitting the GK role he has in mind either tho-. Kepa is good enough to be 1st choice for Spain, when people talk about Donnarumma being some kind of light-years better option I just laugh, I wouldn't even dignify that with a reply. Kepa has been rated as a wonderkid since he was like... 15? 16? It's not an unknown one-season-wonder guy. Real Madrid has been following him since then and wanted to sign him, and I repeat, the only reason they didn't was Zidane, only to be left stranded by Zidane without Kepa. It's not that he wasn't good enough, it was merely a coach decision, as he wanted to keep Keylor chill, and the dressing room supported this view too.

It wouldn't be the first time an excellent player for a club doesn't show the same level in a national team.

MadMike

80M € for Kepa. I'm wondering what Courtois will go for to Madrid? 120M €?
You can't have been following the news much. Curtois is on his final year of contract and he's gone AWOL from training. Best Chelsea can hope is 30m or so, else they lose him for free next summer and keep a disgruntled keeper for a year that they probably can't trust anyway.

NoLogo

You can't have been following the news much. Curtois is on his final year of contract and he's gone AWOL from training. Best Chelsea can hope is 30m or so, else they lose him for free next summer and keep a disgruntled keeper for a year that they probably can't trust anyway.
Yeah only just read that he won't go for much, see my edit. But wow Chelsea really dropped the ball here.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Keeper Kepa keeps keeper Courtois keeping on for Madrid. Keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.