Keylor Navas

What do you think of Keylor Navas as David De Gea's replacement?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish-Red-7

They carried on paying part of Raul's wages for a while when he left. I doubt they'll do the same with Casillas, but paying him to sit on the bench for a year just means the Madrid crowd will be divided for another year. It's not been a nice atmosphere for Lopez, I doubt they'll want a repeat with Navas.
Well I didn't know that.. Seems to me its a lose-lose situation for Madrid then as in either partly pay his wages for another club or keep him on the bench, but I get the impression from your post that's troublesome for the squad. If he wants to move, and Real decide against it, you reckon he will cause trouble or accept it?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Well I didn't know that.. Seems to me its a lose-lose situation for Madrid then as in either partly pay his wages for another club or keep him on the bench, but I get the impression from your post that's troublesome for the squad. If he wants to move, and Real decide against it, you reckon he will cause trouble or accept it?
I would think any Casillas deal done now would be to try and avoid subsidising his wages.

In terms of trouble, I didn't mean in squad terms, I think he's just becoming more peripheral there - Ramos appears to be taking over. It's the Bernabeu crowd I was thinking of, there's a definite pro-Casillas group that actually boo Lopez at times, as well as chanting for Iker. Lopez has toughed it out, but it wouldn't be a good way to introduce Navas.

Acole9

Outstanding
He is the best keeper in the league and their current #1 came straight from Sevilla's bench (after moving from relegated Villareal) so I can't see why you think he'd be on the bench.
I think in current form Lopez is better than Casillas (although there have been rumours about both of them leaving) I could be wrong but I really don't think Navas will get ahead of either of those two.

louvega

I don't know how this situation is going to end, but so far everything points at Navas joining Madrid and Diego López being sent away after being paid the remaining wages of his contract.

Raul Madrid

I don't know how this situation is going to end, but so far everything points at Navas joining Madrid and Diego López being sent away after being paid the remaining wages of his contract.
Ancelotti has said casillas will play in the supercup vs sevilla. At the moment it looks like casillas is staying. I don't see why casillas would want to stay another year unless he is guaranteed to be a regular and tbh I don't think he will be. There must not be any offers so far that he considers to be a good one or maybe he feels he can compete with navas and get into the team over him. I hope the goalkeeping situation is better than it was last year. It would be very unsettling for the defence to be playing with two keepers rather than just one. At this moment in time navas is an upgrade on casillas also. Maybe ancelotti also wants to keep casillas due to his leadership qualities and feels he would be a good character to have around in the dressing room. The idea of Ramos as the main captain on the field and in the dressing room is scary tbh :nervous:.

louvega

Ancelotti has said casillas will play in the supercup vs sevilla. At the moment it looks like casillas is staying. I don't see why casillas would want to stay another year unless he is guaranteed to be a regular and tbh I don't think he will be. There must not be any offers so far that he considers to be a good one or maybe he feels he can compete with navas and get into the team over him. I hope the goalkeeping situation is better than it was last year. It would be very unsettling for the defence to be playing with two keepers rather than just one. At this moment in time navas is an upgrade on casillas also. Maybe ancelotti also wants to keep casillas due to his leadership qualities and feels he would be a good character to have around in the dressing room. The idea of Ramos as the main captain on the field and in the dressing room is scary tbh :nervous:.
Navas is a monster keeper in the best shape of his career. Excellent signing by Madrid. Casillas is in decline and has been a sub for almost two seasons now.

It's a difficult situation since Casillas has lots of power with local press and fans and a very expensive contract. My guess is Carlo will use Navas as first keeper but needs the fans/press to back up this decision so there's not a repeat from last year's climate/situation. Since yesterday's game there seems to be a general change in opinion against Casillas so everything may be almost solved. As, Marca and others were very harsh with him after the match.

I think Carlo wanted to use the supercup as a last test for Iker but it may not matter anymore. Also, Casillas may not mind being a sub if he sees he's not ready and doesn't have the support from the press. I wouldn't worry right now, these last games were an eye opener for many.

PvsNP

Why get rid of Diego Lopez to make room for Navas? Unless it's his own decision to leave, I don't get it. He is easily one of the best keepers in the league and has deserved his starting spot ever since Casillas got benched.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Probably doesnt help Navas' chances of moving to Madrid.

MoneyMay

Probably doesnt help Navas' chances of moving to Madrid.
AS have published this on their site:

Diego López close to signing for Monaco for three years

Diego López has had little time to choose and few options on the table. Monaco and Napoli were the clubs that were most interested this summer, but the player wanted to stay at Madrid and fight for his place. An utterly fair decision on his part. But now the club have told him directly that he isn’t in their plans, his aim is to sign for a club that will meet his requirements.

Monaco are still keen and Diego López has been looking at their offer carefully with his agent Manuel García Quilón and his family, and in principle they like it. He’s close to signing with them, for three years (he’s 32), receiving five million euros a year.

Madrid were keen for the player to be used in bringing James to the Bernabéu, but the keeper refused point blank. This then will be an independent negotiation between club and player, and nothing to do with James or Falcao.

His exit from Madrid still needs to be completed. The club are not keen to pay him the severance package he’s due for them breaking his contract, but the player and his agent are refusing to negotiate. They are demanding the compensation for the three years remaining on his contract. He earns 2.1 million a year, which means the entire package including taxes will be around 12 million.

Diego López landed this morning In Madrid with the rest of the squad who were on the US tour. The first full squad training, including Kroos, Khedira, Di María (if these latter two are still in the squad), Marcelo and Keylor Navas, who is expected to land in Madrid on Monday morning. The aim is for Diego López not to train on Tuesday, having already left the club. He has 48 hours.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
The signing has been confirmed by Real Madrid now.

louvega

I think there's still a chance López stays after the recent developments.

louvega

Why get rid of Diego Lopez to make room for Navas? Unless it's his own decision to leave, I don't get it. He is easily one of the best keepers in the league and has deserved his starting spot ever since Casillas got benched.
Diego earns 4m per season, Casillas 8-10m. Neither wants to leave with 3 years left in their contracts so kicking them out costs the club around 24m Diego (12m for the player + taxes) and 48m Casillas (24m for the player + taxes). Also, Diego López has no pull with the press and most of the fans.

Brophs

The One and Only
I haven't seen a lot of Navas but is he really better than Lopez? I thought he was really solid for Madrid last season.

Ekeke

I think Navas just has that extra flair of being a top shot stopper. Something else for Madrid to get excited over

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I haven't seen a lot of Navas but is he really better than Lopez? I thought he was really solid for Madrid last season.
Easily better yeah. With Courtois and Valdés gone he's probably the best in Spain now - plenty thought he was already actually.

Thought Diego López was anything but solid though last season after his excellent start.

Hojoon

He was fantastic the few times I've watched him last season, and there are plenty of regular La Liga watchers who thought he was the best keeper in the league last season.

fallengt

Anyone watched Spain league last season acknowledge Navas is the best Goal Keeper in the league, Courtios just won the pride because his team won the title.
Lopez's solid but Cassilas is likely staying, I don't think he see himself as 3rd choice or 2nd choice GK so it's better for him to move on. Is Navas a huge improvement ? Maybe not but they're Real Madrid, they love luxury signing.

PvsNP

Diego earns 4m per season, Casillas 8-10m. Neither wants to leave with 3 years left in their contracts so kicking them out costs the club around 24m Diego (12m for the player + taxes) and 48m Casillas (24m for the player + taxes). Also, Diego López has no pull with the press and most of the fans.
I see why he is cheaper to let go, but why get rid of him? He is their best keeper by far. Why take a chance with a keeper like Navas who has one good season and an amazing WC under his belt?

It seems like Perez just wants the best performers of the World Cup who are available.

Malva

lopez is still so overrated by people. did no one actually watch him in the league? do people only watch him against us in the cl in 2012? casillas is still better then lopez. navas is probably at the point where he's better then both.

what i really like about navas is that he's prime julio cesar-esque in his insane reflexes and shot stopping ability... but he's also VERY solid at crosses and commanding his box, unlike your typical spanish goalkeepers. it's what has impressed me alot. he's a complete goalkeeper. I think he's a little bit off from his prime ability though, and he can become even better in the future.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Lopez has been more consistent than Casillas, more solid perhaps, certainly less error prone. what he hasn't been is great. He hasn't been a matchwinner or a saviour - he saves what you expect him to and not much more. He's not an obvious first choice over Casillas and he's not a longterm option. Navas is potentially not only a clear first choice for this season, he's one for the future.

Why get rid of Lopez? The Madrid press think Casillas has a deal to leave next year if he's not first choice - presumably there's something about that deal that makes it hard to bring it forward. Probably part money, part politics, part that he hasn't got a move lined up.

Lopez incidentally they hoped to move out cheap - no transfer fee, but no "paid up contract" or wages subsidy. Right now, he apparently isn't playing ball.

Not the kind of article you'd want to see on the day you signed for Madrid is it? Keylor Navas may find the politics of Madrid keep him from playing as often as his talent merits.

Lane

Madrid GK situation is a complete mess, they should sell Casillas, even maybe him and Lopez both, get a good enough 2-nd keeper and let Navas to do a job. Although i think Anci will put trust in Navas and Lopez will be his cover.

PvsNP

Feel kind of bad for Ancelotti. It looks like he doesn't have much say in their transfers.

Malva

- he saves what you expect him to and not much more.
often not even that , conceding goals you'd never expect any 1st tier goalkeeper to let in.

but then sometimes he does save what you wouldn't expect.

to me lopez is just at that mignolet/ szczesny level... capable of extremely impressive saves, lightning quick reflexes.. but not honed in skill to an elite level, all having considerable and dangerous weaknesses, and all to an extent not dependable enough.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Diego Lopez is on his way to Milan according to the Madrid press. He'll have his medical on Monday and will sign for 4 years. No transfer fee of course.

Rumours are that Navas has already started to impress Ancelotti's goalkeeping coach Vecchi. Casillas will be the starting keeper against Sevilla in the UEFA Supercup, with Navas on the bench.

Eila

Diego Lopez is on his way to Milan according to the Madrid press. He'll have his medical on Monday and will sign for 4 years. No transfer fee of course.

Rumours are that Navas has already started to impress Ancelotti's goalkeeping coach Vecchi. Casillas will be the starting keeper against Sevilla in the UEFA Supercup, with Navas on the bench.
Says here it's official:
http://www.marca.com/2014/08/09/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1407575020.html
Should have been Casillas out, to not have unneeded pressure on Navas. But maybe they're still holding to the hope that he recovers form.

PvsNP

Sorry if this has been posted in another thread. I think it's different exercises, but still brought a smile to my face.

Zoo

Based on this, it's easy to see why.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So, Casillas is continuing on his downward spiral, Lopez is somehow no longer in the picture and Navas...............what? What is he doing? Why did he move there?? Now I read a rumour that Real are interested in Peter Cech, a move I could see Chelsea letting happen given that they have made the decision to go with Courtois.

Kaos

So, Casillas is continuing on his downward spiral, Lopez is somehow no longer in the picture and Navas...............what? What is he doing? Why did he move there?? Now I read a rumour that Real are interested in Peter Cech, a move I could see Chelsea letting happen given that they have made the decision to go with Courtois.
Short answer - Real Madrid. If there's any club that' are suckers for signing players on the back of good tournaments, regardless of whether they need them or not, then its them.

Short answer - Real Madrid. If there's any club that' are suckers for signing players on the back of good tournaments, regardless of whether they need them or not, then its them.
Wasn't Navas La Liga keeper of the year last season though? He wasn't just good in the World Cup, he was good all year long. It just seems that with Real Madrid there's always a shiny new toy they want. Keylor Navas is actually a very good goalkeeper but for Madrid it never seems to be enough to have one of anything. They're like one of those playboy princes who have to get the latest Lambo when it comes out, regardless of how many Lambos they already own.

Status
Not open for further replies.