Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

El Zoido

Really not agreeing with the the whole “go manage random lower level team for a bit” logic. If you’re good enough you’re good enough. Pep didn’t have to go and manage Sporting Gijón for three years before managing Barcelona.

sport2793

In reality with the ego's we have the minute it went bad they would take over the dressing room and we would all be blaming him - This club has far bigger problems than the manager and it's some of the players and how they cannot be bothered so quickly. The only way Mckenna would work is if we got rid of a lot of these bad eggs but if we do keep them for money sake you need a big name they won't go against like an Ancelotti/ Zidane etc
Well he’s already worked with many of those egos so it’s not as much of a concern from my perspective

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Not a massive fan of bringing in someone who was part of a failing coaching staff at the club previously. Who already has connections and relationships within the club. I'd rather Ineos started afresh completely.

NoPace

I think it’s a huge risk for him at either club. United fans may talk about patience right now but if McKenna had you guys midtable halfway through his first season there would be plenty of talk about the job being too much too soon for him.

But at least for your club the supporters would be fully behind him from day 1. Here at Chelsea he’ll be getting questions the moment he’s announced.
Agreed. Mckenna probably needs a better first season at Chelsea to keep his job than he would at United, but the Chelsea squad is good enough to get 3rd next year, and let’s assume 4th would comfortably keep his job. United’s ceiling feels more like 5th and it’s say 7th (with normal, plus 15 or so GD) to barely keep his job.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
For me, it seems like too much too soon…but perhaps that’s because I’m used to a Manchester United manager being involved in so many aspects. If the idea is that he is the head coach who works on delivering results for the first team only and has experienced people above him in technical roles to deal with the wider club, then maybe it’s not a bad idea.

I do struggle to see him commanding much respect from established footballers at this level (compared to a Poch or a Tuchel) but perhaps his previous United experience as a coach suggests otherwise.

I’m indifferent on it as I was convinced EtH was given assurances after that speech last week, but perhaps it was pure delusion!

Xaviboy

So what type of football are we expecting to see if he comes in.

Havn't watched much of Ipswich to be honest.

The Irish Connection

I’d be excited about McKenna. Especially now that we have a good CEO and technical director in place and ineos. McKenna just needs to focus on the coaching while the lads above need to bring 5 or 6 players, and get the signings right.
If we’re dire this time next year just look for someone else.
Thats why you employ a director of football and technical director, to bring in signings to suit a set style. The head coach can be changed but the foundation is still there.

stu_1992

Yeah, I'm not sure about this one. He's done a fantastic job at Ipswich but things can change very quickly and I'm not being funny, English managers are not exactly renowned for being the best managers around either.

I do like how he's worked under so many of our previous managers and if you're looking for long term then he's probably a good candidate for that, but it does feel a bit too soon. Will back him if we do go for him though.
Good thing he's not English then. ;)

Wayne's World

Unless you get rid of 20+ players and give him a clean slate. What's the point of bringing him in? He couldn't work wonders when he was coach doing most of the training back then so what's going to change now?

With a new set of players it could definitely work but not with this bunch of cowards at United currently

pascell

All I can say is that any manager who comes in now will be doing so knowing that the idiots up top will be very involved. They’ll at least be well prepared for it and wouldn’t accept the job if it was a dealbreaker.
What's with the co-owner reportedly making the decisions? Surely that will just muddy the waters for Chelsea about what direction they want to go in?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Just can't see him back here again so soon, and can't see him at Chelsea either.
Same here. We sacked him 2 years ago - our fans basically hounded him out!

We’ve gone from passing over potential managers because they’ve never won a trophy, to being in talks with one that’s never managed a premier league game!

Let him go to Brighton and see how he does. If he wants the job now, he’ll still want it in 3-5 years time.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Really not agreeing with the the whole “go manage random lower level team for a bit” logic. If you’re good enough you’re good enough. Pep didn’t have to go and manage Sporting Gijón for three years before managing Barcelona.
This is undoubtedly true. The issue is that it is genuinely very difficult to tell if somebody is good enough when their resume is so short. That doesn't mean you don't take the gamble with the right candidate but its definitely a huge roll of the dice.

Unam333

This is really a case of FOMO among United supporters: just because Chelsea (as usual) are sniffing around the fans are getting nervous and want to bring in McKenna, who would actually benefit going to a club like Brighton.

Semper Fudge

Apt Tagline
This is really a case of FOMO among United supporters: just because Chelsea (as usual) are sniffing around the fans are getting nervous and want to bring in McKenna, who would actually benefit going to a club like Brighton.
Thanks for speaking for all of us.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
What's with the co-owner reportedly making the decisions? Surely that will just muddy the waters for Chelsea about what direction they want to go in?
Boehly may have become the pubLiv face of this new ownership but he’s actually not the “big boss.” This other guy Ehgbali is apparently the actual, main decision maker and owns a larger percentage of the club than Todd.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He'd be crazy to take the United job. We're gunna be in a state of flux (at best) for a couple years. His reputation would take a battering during that time and he'd be lucky to survive.

Not a Tuchel fan but feel he'd be a better option for a couple years whilst things bed in behind the scenes (INEOS, new structure etc).

Raven

I reckon United are just trying to remain hush hush to avoid a circus before the final. ETH is probably toast already.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He'd be crazy to take the United job. We're gunna be in a state of flux (at best) for a couple years. His reputation would take a battering during that time and he'd be lucky to survive.

Not a Tuchel fan but feel he'd be a better option for a couple years whilst things bed in behind the scenes (INEOS, new structure etc).
Hardly. He'd be coming in at the absolute ideal time.

All time premier league low of 8th meaning even the most optimistic fan has very low expectations. And a new structure being built as we speak.

NoPace

So if we assume he would want a similar thing, we'll either sign an attacking LB or a regular one and use Dalot up high?

---------------Hojlund------------ (ST)
Garnacho---Bruno------Amad- (Mount, Rashford, Antony)
--------Mainoo---CM---------------- (CM, McTominay)
Shaw--Lisandro-RCB---Dalot (Maguire, LB, AWB)

for example. Seems manageable. 2 expensive starters, one backup CM for cheap that fits what McKenna wants (maybe a Champo CM McKenna likes or young player INEOS rates), whatever striker we can get without breaking the bank, one LB and those seem to cost like 30M if they're young and highly rated but not stars yet.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I reckon United are just trying to remain hush hush to avoid a circus before the final. ETH is probably toast already.
Soft of screwed up there then haven't they, with leaks coming out now.

Hoof the ball

They actually rate him that highly?

Seems a huge risk to me. Great achievements for Ipswich but Chelsea or United are a different league (literally and figuratively)
Barca was a different league from Barca B for Pep.

Real was a different league from Real Castilla for Zidane.

McKenna has more high pressure experience than both the above when they took on the biggest jobs in football.

What if Pep didn't risk Barca and went to Betis instead?
What if Zidane didn't risk Real and went to Sociedad instead?

You cannot be afraid of risk in football as an ambitious manager. You cannot worry about football fans being worried for you.

AaronRedDevil

Doesn't matter what playstyle he has or any manager has. If McTominay is still in the team it shows we haven't changed at all. ETH style looked really good too and yet it's all fallen apart due to the lack of quality in midfield. I do believe if he buys the right CDM and a CM it might just transform us. Otherwise the next manager we'll try their style and the next thing you know. We are doing the same shit playstyle like the last 5 years. Clueless passing with individual brilliance can only get us so far. Well above 9th place.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
This is gathering steam now

I really hope it’s true. I want someone capable of something special, and he has already proven he could very well be. It would be exciting.

Paul778

It looks like it's going to be him. I guess I'm on board.

i think i would have preferred an older head, but if Ashworth, Barrada and Wilcox are doing their jobs properly and McKenna is more about just coaching them to get the best out of them it could work.

BuzzKillington

Unless you get rid of 20+ players and give him a clean slate. What's the point of bringing him in? He couldn't work wonders when he was coach doing most of the training back then so what's going to change now?

With a new set of players it could definitely work but not with this bunch of cowards at United currently
It’s unlikely most of this lot will be here next season.

But his approach at Ipswich seems just what we need. Focus on being hard to beat at first, solidify, then move on being proactive.

The only issue I see is what works at Championship level, doesn’t always work in the prem.

I’m not wild on the thought of McKenna, but I’d be willing to support him if that’s who the new management team go for. As long as it’s not utterly dire, I’ll be willing to give most of the rumoured candidates a go for a couple of years. Not Southgate though.

berbasloth4

I am sure people thought the leverkusen and arsenal jobs were too soon for alonso and arteta.

We seem to be starting from scratch doing a clear out and a lot of youth coming through. we seem to be setting up a similar system to European clubs where we are looking someone to coach the players that Wilcox and co sign for us.

He has youth on his side and knows our academy inside out. A lot of the bad eggs from his time with ole seem to be leaving or one their way out. It would be appointed that screams out long term rather than quick fix.

I think if he keeps McLaren with him and gets good time around him it could be a