Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

Flykicking by B Gunn

Supports
Ipswich
I'm not convinced that the current manager of Ipswich Town is a better coach than Ten Hag, even if he has led the team to consecutive promotions from League 1. I'm also not convinced that he's a better coach than Tuchel (11 trophies in the past 8 years) or Pochettino. McKenna is a nice, humble guy, a fan of the club who has done a very good job at a young age in lower league management, but this is Manchester United, one of the biggest and most challenging jobs in all of football.
I agree.
You don't want him.
Remember Ipswich conceeded loads of goals last session.
He will be a Utd manager. Perhaps the one after the next.
Leave him to us. We will bring him on.
Utd is where his heart is, just as Bobby's was at Newcastle.
But I have watched this boy's teams. They are terribly entertaining. For instance last season we won 6 games 3-2. We were 1-0 down in all of them.
You don't want that excitement in Manchester! Do you ? Do you ? :)

Lentwood

I’d be absolutely amazed if we gave him the job. Trusting one of the biggest jobs in sport to someone who’s been a manager for two years, has no reputation to fall back on and has never managed top players before.

He’d have to be a generational manager to crack this.
It's a different job under the new structure. It was an impossible job under Woodward and Co., because the manager effectively had to do everything, including hand-selecting transfers in/out.

Under the new regime, the manager is just the most senior coach. I don't see why we can't take a calculated gamble on a coach who could easily be a "generational" talent.

If it doesn't work, what have we really lost? It's not like he'll be allowed to bring his own players in, which has been the biggest problem we've had to live with after past failed appointments.

It's also in-keeping with what we think INEOS want to do with the club...unearth and develop talent, as opposed to buying in players and managers who worked elsewhere.

Personally I am all for it.

city-puma

His work in getting two successive promotions is absolutely fantastic. I guess what i'm slightly concerned with is the jump between that and being United manager, and eventually getting a team together that can challenge for the league and champions league. I think a lot of managers could get top 4 with this United squad, playing to it's strengths, and it wouldn't surprise me if we got top 4 next season, but it's what comes after that that is always the big problem. The team tries to evolve and it fails miserably.

Also, hearing conflicting information about his style with Ipswich. He's worked under Jose and Ole...he's is his own man obviously, but if we play anything like those two then I can't say i'm super excited. Other people say he plays a much better football which is a relief.
Do you remember the game we were away to AC Milan. McKenna was standing by the touchline. We sent on the tiny Amad and he grabbed the goal for us. Milan’s manager erupted irrationally when McKenna said to him it’s a good game after the game.
He is not newbie in any sort.

sepulturite

Teasing Chelsea and Brighton to leave them in a mess for next season, mindfecking 101
Yeh, pretty dumb by both Brighton and Chelsea to do that, now they're both without a manager and scrambling around looking for one. It's great!

Castia

Pochettino is a massive yawn, sacked from Tottenham and Chelsea already. De Zerbi isn’t a bad option but haven’t been that impressed with his set ups and substitutions this season, a lot of unnecessary tinkering. By your logic you wouldn’t have wanted De Zerbi either coming straight from Shakhtar, but 2 seasons in the PL, the last being average, and he’s deemed ready? It’s not as essential as you think, and if it doesn’t end up working out, we move on, that’s the nature of it.
Poch did a decent job you could argue both sackings were mistakes, in Tottenham's case that's a certainty and I feel Chelsea could well finish 12th again next season they're a circus. The most stable they've looked is since Christmas, they finally look like a team after 2 years of shite.

Di Zerbi had a good first season but in some ways this season was better. They sold most of their best players, he was hit with a injury crisis and in all honesty man for man Brighton have one of the worst squads in the league he did well to finish mid table they'll be in trouble next season if they get their next appointment wrong.

Both of those managers are well ahead of McKenna and then you could add Tuchel, Xavi, Potter? I mean McKenna is so far down the list even when comparing him to someone like Frank at Brentford who not only got a small club promoted but as kept them up and stabilize them as a PL side it's a nonsense

luke511

Do you remember the game we were away to AC Milan. McKenna was standing by the touchline. We sent on the tiny Amad and he grabbed the goal for us. Milan’s manager erupted irrationally when McKenna said to him it’s a good game after the game.
I recall him having a heated exchange with Solskjaer after Fred was sent off vs PSG too, with the latter looking like he was trying to explain himself. I presume he was mad he wasn't subbed on a yellow at half time whilst Solskjaer was happy to leave him on. I'd love to see a replay.

Chairman Steve

Until the start of this week, I was certain it was going to be Tuchel but now all the signs are pointing to McKenna.

As I said previously, I think this has a chance of working providing the newly assembled backroom of Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox (along with anyone else yet to join) has his back on most things and the highly paid marquee players who could potentially undermine him are ousted from the club.

Our operation has to be slick almost from the off for this to work. I remember when we poached him from Spurs he was very highly rated and he was deemed very highly rated in our academy, and if Jose picked him out from the academy and asked him to be a first team coach then he must have something about him. I think Rangnick was desperate to keep him as well from memory?

Blood Mage

Ineos are going for the riskiest possible appointment here. If it succeeds it will be spectacular but I do wonder if they're putting unnecessary pressure on themselves with managers like Tuchel, Poch and De Zerbi available.

aeh1991

Unpopular opinion but imo the chances he is a success is much higher than with Tuchel or Poch. I have a good feeling that he will form a good relationship with both INEOS and the players, and suits the long term strategy. If your concern is that he won't get respected by the players, think about how often Tuchel fell out with his players.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve actually never heard him speak before so I googled a video of him. Did not expect that Brendan Rodgers-esque voice

sugar_kane

He's clearly a fabulous coach but my worry is whether he has a big enough personality for United.

This is the X factor with coaches like Klopp & Pep. It's not enough to be brilliant tactically, you need to inspire a dressing room full of 20 something millionaires to run through walls for you.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Back on point, do you think he has improved your players at an individual level and is your team more than the sum of individual parts? If so, he maybe worth a shot (a long shot mind it).
It’s a bit of both, again. He made a point of saying that he wanted to identify players who could make the step up from L1 to Champ, and virtually to a man he has. But the honest answer is that we have quite a few players who are playing out of their skins; organised, confident, great understanding of their roles within the team. And that’s come from manager so, as much as I don’t want it to be the case, he is elevating the team and we won’t be the same without him.

OleGunnar20

I've got a tenner on this happening at 7/1. Don't let me down Jim we can't all retire to Monaco you know.

Dan_F

It's a different job under the new structure. It was an impossible job under Woodward and Co., because the manager effectively had to do everything, including hand-selecting transfers in/out.

Under the new regime, the manager is just the most senior coach. I don't see why we can't take a calculated gamble on a coach who could easily be a "generational" talent.

If it doesn't work, what have we really lost? It's not like he'll be allowed to bring his own players in, which has been the biggest problem we've had to live with after past failed appointments.

It's also in-keeping with what we think INEOS want to do with the club...unearth and develop talent, as opposed to buying in players and managers who worked elsewhere.

Personally I am all for it.
In terms of “what have we lost”, you can make that argument for any manager we hire. If we had a completely genius potential manager, who was two years away from being capable of managing us, I doubt we let him walk out the door.

We don’t really have any kind of structure in place currently bar Wilcox, I’m not sure why it’s assumed that suddenly it’s going to be a great environment to work under, even if we nailed the hiring of the CEO, Ashworth and Wilcox, these things take a while to see the benefits from. Wilcox is not suddenly going to make us have a successful transfer window.

A second season outside of the Champions League hurts us massively. Fail next season and the road back becomes longer and longer. Players like Mainoo and Garnacho get twitchy.

NK86

It’s a bit of both, again. He made a point of saying that he wanted to identify players who could make the step up from L1 to Champ, and virtually to a man he has. But the honest answer is that we have quite a few players who are playing out of their skins; organised, confident, great understanding of their roles within the team. And that’s come from manager so, as much as I don’t want it to be the case, he is elevating the team and we won’t be the same without him.
Cheers for the response. Sounds promising then.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He's clearly a fabulous coach but my worry is whether he has a big enough personality for United.

This is the X factor with coaches like Klopp & Pep. It's not enough to be brilliant tactically, you need to inspire a dressing room full of 20 something millionaires to run through walls for you.
He does and he doesn’t. He won’t have the same power other managers here have had and the players will know that. Flip side of that is even if the manager likes them that might not be enough to save them here. It feels way more transparent

Irwin99

I didn't say he was, i said there's a huge difference in managing a small team to one of the biggest clubs in the world. Also, the reference to the AC Milan game doesn't say anything at all to me.

As I said, i don't know much about his tactics or style of play but I can't say i'm going to be thrilled if it's anything like Jose or Ole's direction though. People are saying this isn't the case and i'm very relieved.

I'm also wondering where this leaves some of our old survivors like Shaw, Maguire, McTominay, AwB, Dalot, Rashford, Bruno, Lindelof. Bruno and Dalot seem happy at the club and both had good seasons so i'm happy for them to stay. Martial is leaving, finally. Varane too. The rest, i'm very curious to see if they stay or go, as well as some of EtH's signings.

saivet

I suppose one of the benefits of McKenna is that he'll be familiar with a lot of the squad, so will be able to cast judgement based on first hand experience. It should allow him to settle in a little bit quicker than he would be able to do at somewhere like Chelsea.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Please no. How our standards have fallen…

RuudTom83

If United had made him manager after Ole was sacked the entire world would of thought the club had gone mad.

Can 2 years at Ipswich really make him ready for United?...maybe people are being a little too romantic about this rumour.

Giggsyking

Part of the Solskjaer set up to be the only one post Sir Alex who got back to back top 4 finishes (and was also 3rd in the half season when they first came in), and the only ones who had their underlying stats match up that we were in fact one of the top 4 sides in the league while they were here, rather than our "good" seasons always being huge xG overperformances like the other managers had. It wasn't good enough with Ole ultimately and that's why it failed, but also doesn't take away that under Ole it was the clearest what we wanted to be, actually became a good side and kept it up for a while and it wasn't a fluke.

And besides, McKenna isn't Ole, and he's done a ridiculous job at Ipswich.
Sorry, but what did that setup win after 3 years and hundreds of millions spent?

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I’d be absolutely amazed if we gave him the job. Trusting one of the biggest jobs in sport to someone who’s been a manager for two years, has no reputation to fall back on and has never managed top players before.

He’d have to be a generational manager to crack this.
There were a rumblings of, maybe not discontent, but a few raised eyebrows when WE signed him, and managing Utd is a world away from managing Ipswich. I won't be surprised if there is no deal with Utd this summer, other than an agreement to stay in touch. Vincent Kompany looks likely to get the Munich job, so hopefully Mckenna won't think that another season with Ipswich, and a possible relegation, won't make it impossible for him to move upwards later.

dutchred

It could work with right organisation behind him. He is obviously a good coach. If he is not allowed to buy players without any input from a DOF. e must alLimdelofso get rid of the old guard so he can given a fresh start. He aslo knows the young talent that is there.
Leave
AWB, Varanne, Lindelof, Casemiro, Amrabat, Mount, McTominay, Pellestri, Antony, Rashford (needs a change), Martial
Onana needs to be given a cahnce with a more dynamic defense and midfield in front of him.
Immediate need
Strong aggressine center half
Defensive midfielder
Left winger not a right footed one who cuts in and shhots but one who can get to the byline and deliver into the box
Secondary need
Cover for Dalot
Back up Centre half
Back up defensive midfielder
Experienced competition for Hojlund

Next season
Onana
Dalot New Center Half Martinez Shaw (Amass)
New Defensive midfielder Mainoo
Bruno (Amad)
Garnacho Hojlund New Left winger

Walters_19_MuFc

Other than Moyes, the previous managers we've had since the retirement of Sir Alex have all had experience at the top level and have pretty much failed. I didn't count Ole in that because he wasn't really planned and arguably did just as well as the others, hence why he was appointed.

McKenna wouldn't be my first choice, but with the new structure in place, it will allow our new head coach (and that's the title they should get) to focus on team shape and tactics. The other distractions will now be looked after by the elite team we have in place.

I'm also a big fan of a 4231 and I know McKenna plays that so......

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
In the last 25 years, McKenna is the 4th manager to get successive L1 to Prem promotions, after

Graham Taylor (Watford) 1997-1999
Paul Lambert (Scum) 2009-2011
Nigel Adkins (Southampton) 2010-2012

It's certainly not a guarantee of future success, and that's why I'd be surprised if Utd put their faith in McKenna, especially in the same summer they seem to be changing most of the club hierarchy. Seems like there would be an awful lot of people in unfamiliar roles at a time when the squad looks pretty desperate for a significant overhaul. I think you'll eventually go for Tuchel, and McKenna will cleverly steer clear of Chelsea. It's the Brighton link that worries me more to be honest.

city-puma

I recall him having a heated exchange with Solskjaer after Fred was sent off vs PSG too, with the latter looking like he was trying to explain himself. I presume he was mad he wasn't subbed on a yellow at half time whilst Solskjaer was happy to leave him on. I'd love to see a replay.
Now, in hindsight, that’s a colorful period with Ole in charge, joy, frustration, hope, sadness. But nothing like this season which makes me feel the first time nothing is even remotely relevant anymore. The disappointment can’t be expressed in any language.

Hoof the ball

If United had made him manager after Ole was sacked the entire world would of thought the club had gone mad.

Can 2 years at Ipswich really make him ready for United?...maybe people are being a little too romantic about this rumour.
Perhaps, but was a couple of years managing Real Madrid B enough to make Zidane ready for Real? Or Pep managing Barca B enough to make him real for Barca?

And it's not even as though the pressure is the same. Real and Barca are expected to win the title. We're only expected to get back in top four and be in convention for trophies.