Kieran McKenna | Ipswich manager

Woziak

So, lets get a rookie.
Anyway, as poor as our established post SAF managers have been and as incompetent as the running of the club is, they've still achieved some minor success, outside of Moyes.

So, the talk of Mckenna managing United next year, atm in time, is just comical.
I’d still prefer him over potter and Southgate!

Why?

Because the day he starts he’s under pressure and he’ll know that so if he’s smart, he probably says no and goes and manages a team like Everton first, if he gets them into Europe/CL he’s your man or do we bypass the £20m it would cost then in compensation?

Woziak

I thought our failing superstars decided they were too good for mckenna? And every other coach that's dared to grace the field with them
As they start to be phased out then what, he can turn round to most of them and say under Ole with Carrick and McKenna doing most of the coaching and setting up, they got to multiple SF, Finals, finished 3rd, 2nd and scored over 70 goals in the PL this team under Eric barely gets to 55!

Zen86

This is pretty fickle even for the caf. Most thought he couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag 2 years ago.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Let's face it, it was clear at the time that those people were obviously idiots.
And most still are. We don't have enough data to determine what McKenna's credentials are, and his ability to be a head coach at United. Which is why so many fans use proxies like wins and trophies to try and rank managers, or insist potential managers go through a stupid gauntlet flawlessly to be deemed qualified for top jobs.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
McKenna was with us , was the catalyst when we played some good football under Ole and the Ipswich achievement. What exactly has others Done ?

Please don't bring the league championships with Sporting as we all know it doesn't matter in grand scheme of things.

CL Experience- he has done it with us.

Big club experience - same , he was with us.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you watch Sporting vs Arsenal over two legs in the Europa league last season? That kinda coaching that has also won a league title plus is what you want to have us beliieve "doesn't matter in the grand scheme things" as compared to a first time coach role at United and a stint managing league 1 and Championship football?

Last edited:

Remember the geese

Funny how the idea of McKenna is being laughed at in this thread. It was always apparent that he's a quality coach. Now he has been given the responsibility of proving it at first team level. Ipswich have no right to be where they are. I doubt The Championship is significantly weaker than the top division in Portugal or Holland, though without the benefit of experiencing European football of course. He certainly has every right to be in that pool of 5 or 6 potential candidates.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Would fans be clamouring for him if he had no previous history with United ?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you watch Sporting vs Arsenal over two legs in the Europa league last season? That kinda coaching that has also won a league title plus is what you want to have us beliieve "doesn't matter in the grand scheme things" as compared to a first time coach role at United and a stint managing league 1 and Championship football?

ETH outplayed everyone during his CL campaign. What's he doing now ?

What happened to the kind of total football deployed by LVG in his previous clubs ?

How about Ralf - the father of Gen Gen pressing?

Thats what it means, when you say doesn't matter in grand scheme of things.

(As a response, I can now put 10 laughing smileys(:lol:) just to prove a point). Come out of this kids mentality and engage in a decent conversation. Sorry, i had to say it.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I would rather see him get more experience before making such a big jump but like I said if we're considering the likes of Southgate then McKenna has to be under consideration too.

OldTrevil

I was actually fond of him under Ole. Every time I heard him speak he stroke me as very determined with an attractive vision of football, I also had a strange feeling that he could be a good man manager. As well the rare times Ole made impactful subs, you could tell McKenna had had a strong say in them, indicating good in-game management talent unlike our current manager who is woeful at it.

I'm still in the camp of holding my nose to give EtH a full season under a proper structure if you asked me to make a call right now, but McKenna is actually someone I'd be okay with rather than all the current flavours of the month, like EtH was before we signed him. Kieran has age on his side to be a proper long term fix as well, and also has lower risk in case things don't go well in terms of the package he would be under.

Lentwood

United hired him because he was one of the most (if not THE most) highly-rated young coaches in the English game.

He's since gone on to finish 2nd in League One in his first full season as a manager and currently sits top of the Championship a season later with a vastly inferior squad/budget versus the likes of Leeds, Leicester and Southampton.

At this point, with few viable obvious alternatives, I think he's a great option

next_number_seven

United hired him because he was one of the most (if not THE most) highly-rated young coaches in the English game.

He's since gone on to finish 2nd in League One in his first full season as a manager and currently sits top of the Championship a season later with a vastly inferior squad/budget versus the likes of Leeds, Leicester and Southampton.

At this point, with few viable obvious alternatives, I think he's a great option
He's definitely a viable option. A bit of a gamble though still.

I think on balance Emery would be a better option though.

tomaldinho1

There'd probably be more to be honest. If he were an unknown who had had the season prior and this season with Ipswich, people would be all over him as the next big thing. There's a bit of hesitation just because we saw how United played with him/Carrick leading training under Ole and also I think an understanding that we have way more egos/power in the dressing room than Ipswich, although the new structure hopefully alleviates some of that stress from the manager.

tomaldinho1

That’s true, although I would say that Arsenal were the same as Spurs now when they hired Arteta, and United let Ole in through the back door due to him impressing as an interim. Lampard is fair, although it can’t really be of dispute that both United and Chelsea have, as a rule, hired proven managers who have won trophies or impressed at the top of European football. I think McKenna impressing at Ajax would put him more in that category, rather than impressing at Ipswich, which is more likely to get him moved out of a relegation struggle into a team with European ambitions perhaps - but probably not PL ambition.
I agree, I might be a bit more old fashioned in that I still think we should be going for someone who takes that track (does well like McKenna is now, then lands a job at a big club in smaller league or i could see Brighton or WHUM going for him. Not that we're much better than Brighton right now in honesty but the media pressure and off the field drama with United really fecks us time and again in my opinion. You need to be a big personality.

That said, as per my original post I do think owners are moving more towards this head coach model and there is always excitement around younger, hands on managers. I remember a few seasons ago when it was Rose who was the next big thing, Nagelsman has a big fan base, Alonso obviously, maybe these younger ex pros are able to relate more to the players than the disciplinarians of yesteryear like Mou, LVG etc.

Munkehboi

As many have aluded too, I'm not convinced he can man manage those egos in our dressing room. His Ipswich team are underdogs, he has them playing out of thier skin. They have nothing to lose. They follow his instructions on and off the pitch. This isnt an approacb he can take at Utd. His players are on a considerable less wage to any of our players. Their highest earner (whose not on loan) is our very own Axel Tuanzebe on £20k a week. We have players who command wages per week more than their whole squad put together. A lot of our lot are papmpered pre-madonnas living in the social media bubble and constanly on the front and back pages of the tabloids - always in the spotlight. Put simply, he will have to manage a whole new set of player problems that he won't have had at Ipswich. There are so many more aspects to man management to consider for him to make a successful transition into manager/head coach of Manchester Utd. Sure he knows the club and the pressures but he wasn't the manager.

Can he make Rashford and Martial try harder and turn up for training? Can he manage their strops? Will players listen to his instructions? Player power will be immensely different to the likes of lpswich. I dont think many can question his tactics and coaching methods considering where Ipswich are right now but man management is a whole different ball game all together.

This is why, as ive previously stated, he would be more successful as a head coach rather than a manager.

Lemoor

As many have aluded too, I'm not convinced he can man manage those egos in our dressing room. His Ipswich team are underdogs, he has them playing out of thier skin. They have nothing to lose. They follow his instructions on and off the pitch. This isnt an approacb he can take at Utd. His players are on a considerable less wage to any of our players. Their highest earner (whose not on loan) is our very own Axel Tuanzebe on £20k a week. We have players who command wages per week more than their whole squad put together. A lot of our lot are papmpered pre-madonnas living in the social media bubble and constanly on the front and back pages of the tabloids - always in the spotlight. Put simply, he will have to manage a whole new set of player problems that he won't have had at Ipswich. There are so many more aspects to man management to consider for him to make a successful transition into manager/head coach of Manchester Utd. Sure he knows the club and the pressures but he wasn't the manager.

Can he make Rashford and Martial try harder and turn up for training? Can he manage their strops? Will players listen to his instructions? Player power will be immensely different to the likes of lpswich. I dont think many can question his tactics and coaching methods considering where Ipswich are right now but man management is a whole different ball game all together.

This is why, as ive previously stated, he would be more successful as a head coach rather than a manager.
Imo, every argument for McKenna at United would have to assume that a new football structure is going to be a massive improvement and is going to be a massive help for him in the boardroom politics and recruitment departments. Without that any type of his appointment seems like a recipe for disaster.

ETH outplayed everyone during his CL campaign. What's he doing now ?
Keeping a United side the should frankly be below Chelsea in the league, (with all the injury & off field malarky) within a mathematical shout of an unlikely UCL place and a cup final appearance. Even with many of his best players from last season either injured or in the worst form of their lives......

What happened to the kind of total football deployed by LVG in his previous clubs ?
The likes of you couldn't wait the full three years it takes to install it at a club that had NEVER played that way and gladly binned him for Mourinho ball. Because "he bored you"...

How about Ralf - the father of Gen Gen pressing?
You mean the guy who accurately laid bare all the disease in our structure and our squad? In spite of having not been a club coach in almost a decade?

Thats what it means, when you say doesn't matter in grand scheme of things.
Rather. THIS last bit is what folks say when they are trolling.

(As a response, I can now put 10 laughing smileys(:lol:) just to prove a point). Come out of this kids mentality and engage in a decent conversation. Sorry, i had to say it.
Go ahead. Even if you did it 10 times. Your last post STILL remains worth many a green smiley!!

You can't expect to be taken seriously when you laughable place a coach with mere league one and championship experience and a first team coach stint at United, ABOVE or equal to coaches who have actually won league titles with some of the biggest clubs in Europe and have competed repeatedly and competitively in Europe's premier competitions, to objectively rave reviews.

IRN-BRUno

Farke (Leeds) and Rosenior (Hull) are the other nominees.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s definitely one we should be looking at long-term as far as a succession plan is concerned. But next season is crucial for him, whether at Ipswich in the PL or elsewhere. His United connection can’t be ignored, which should help bridge any gal as he has coached a lot of these players, and even those coming through the academy will probably know him personally.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree, I might be a bit more old fashioned in that I still think we should be going for someone who takes that track (does well like McKenna is now, then lands a job at a big club in smaller league or i could see Brighton or WHUM going for him. Not that we're much better than Brighton right now in honesty but the media pressure and off the field drama with United really fecks us time and again in my opinion. You need to be a big personality.

That said, as per my original post I do think owners are moving more towards this head coach model and there is always excitement around younger, hands on managers. I remember a few seasons ago when it was Rose who was the next big thing, Nagelsman has a big fan base, Alonso obviously, maybe these younger ex pros are able to relate more to the players than the disciplinarians of yesteryear like Mou, LVG etc.
You make a fair point. I like the idea of a successful McKenna taking charge one day, but he has at least 18 months to navigate successfully I reckon before it comes to that.

reddev3

Bloody hell, I have just checked who was promoted with them last year and they have more points than the pair of them combined after 40 games.

I really hope he gets promoted even if he has nothing to do with us in the future. The best part of each season is just seeing a random team punching well above their weight and smashing it (the Monaco team that won the league with Jardim was my favourite)

Last edited:

Munkehboi

Imo, every argument for McKenna at United would have to assume that a new football structure is going to be a massive improvement and is going to be a massive help for him in the boardroom politics and recruitment departments. Without that any type of his appointment seems like a recipe for disaster.
Agreed but if we have said football structure forthcoming (hopefully) then are there more suited head coaches for this job other than McKenna then? Its worth weighing up the likes of Naglesman, Amiron etc.

In actuality its a bit of a gamble either way for us. Offer him the job or risk him moving on to another top club? He's clearly always had the potential, Spurs saw it, Liverpool tried to sign him, only for us to poach him and now showing some actual credentials of him being a successful head coach. In reality my preference is for him to stay at Ipswich and build his own legacy there.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He’s definitely one we should be looking at long-term as far as a succession plan is concerned. But next season is crucial for him, whether at Ipswich in the PL or elsewhere. His United connection can’t be ignored, which should help bridge any gal as he has coached a lot of these players, and even those coming through the academy will probably know him personally.
If ETH is sacked then he would be my no 1 choice as head coach. He's tactically very sound, he knows United inside out and he'll know exactly which players we need to get rid off

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I was actually fond of him under Ole. Every time I heard him speak he stroke me as very determined with an attractive vision of football, I also had a strange feeling that he could be a good man manager. As well the rare times Ole made impactful subs, you could tell McKenna had had a strong say in them, indicating good in-game management talent unlike our current manager who is woeful at it.
The assistants and first team coaches rarely ever speak to the media. I can’t remember one single interview that the club or another media outlet did with McKenna. Could be wrong of course.

Also: How could one tell McKenna had a strong say in subs?

AneRu

He looks like he has his head screwed on. I don’t think he’ll want to jump ship to soon, Ipswich fans love him. I think he’ll want a crack in the prem with them. If he can get them into a respectable position first season then he’ll have more interested teams.
He could also do a Kompamy, managers who play an attacking brand of football don't usually fare very well coming into this league as newly promoted underdogs. Very easy to come, have a tough season and get sacked by December.

It's highly unlikely that we will call on him so soon in his career and in the INEOS transitional period where the margin for error is still slim but if a club like Brighton, West Ham or Villa come calling at the end of the season he'd be stupid to stay at Ipswich and face the PL baptism of fire with them. Ipswich have done well but soon or later their true position, in terms of club evolution will tell, if I am him I'd rather be gone than risk unemployment in winter.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Keeping a United side the should frankly be below Chelsea in the league, (with all the injury & off field malarky) within a mathematical shout of an unlikely UCL place and a cup final appearance. Even with many of his best players from last season either injured or in the worst form of their lives......

The likes of you couldn't wait the full three years it takes to install it at a club that had NEVER played that way and gladly binned him for Mourinho ball. Because "he bored you"...

You mean the guy who accurately laid bare all the disease in our structure and our squad? In spite of having not been a club coach in almost a decade?

Go ahead. Even if you did it 10 times. Your last post STILL remains worth many a green smiley!!

You can't expect to be taken seriously when you laughable place a coach with mere league one and championship experience and a first team coach stint at United, ABOVE or equal to coaches who have actually won league titles with some of the biggest clubs in Europe and have competed repeatedly and competitively in Europe's premier competitions, to objectively rave reviews.
The likes of "me" ? You have no idea what you are talking. Sorry mate - I stick to what I said earlier . Just come out of this kids mentality and then we can think about having a sensible discussion.

Until then, I rest my case

CM

Jesus christ, you guys would actually have a Championship manager over more established ones ?
Feckin hell.
There aren't many established ones out there to choose from, that's kind of the point. Nagelsmann and Amorim look the two strongest candidates on paper but beyond that you're reaching. Even Amorim isn't massively established. It doesn't help that he's the favourite for the Liverpool job and has a sizeable release clause in his Sporting contract either.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Jesus christ, you guys would actually have a Championship manager over more established ones ?
Feckin hell.
Define established? De Zerbi is barely a season into the Premier League. Mckenna has already picked up experience first hand with our club and has coached a lot of these players. He's also doing a more impressive job with Ipswitch relatively speaking.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

ETH has not produced one good or convincing performance out of this squad all season in the league and has a neutral goal difference. Woeful stuff.

Redivy

It's actually Russian Roulette to jump that soon.
My reasoning for suggesting he should move is due to the quality of the squad he has, it would be by far the worst overall squad in the PL. No disrespect to the club, but when you have successive promotions, its normal to have many League 1 standard players in the side.

A club like Brighton if De Zerbi goes, or if Everton decide to go in a new direction, then it could give him a greater chance at showing his true ability.

The likes of "me" ? You have no idea what you are talking. Sorry mate - I stick to what I said earlier . Just come out of this kids mentality and then we can think about having a sensible discussion.
You know EXACTLY what am talking about. It's like you are having amnesia about what you just posted about LVG. A hallmark of that exact kinda fan I've described. Frankly
Hiding behind histrionics and constantly pretending you are superior won't make your views more impressive or prove you are capable of holding coherent discussion.

Until then, I rest my case
mate, you've never had one in the first place.

Last edited: