Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

roseguy64

Good post, agree with a lot of it.

Although could say that Ipswich is the opposite. Low risk, high reward. With Leicester & So’ton/Leeds going up, every single realistic football follower will say that Ipswich will go down. So if they do, I don’t think his reputation will take a hit. Unless they make some records and end up with 8 points or something. Sure some will laugh at him but at the same time the football people at different clubs know what he has done in the past two seasons.

Now if they avoid relegation, that’s a near miracle (judging by the squads as it is). That’d would be the high reward and should make him an even more attractive option to clubs looking for a new manager. They’d also have the evidence from him managing in the PL, which he currently lacks.
Agreed. I doubt Kompany's reputation has taken a massive knock. Also, Rob Edwards' reputation has probably increased despite Luton being relegated.

luke511

How do you know that Rashford isn't a good influence? And that Fernandes, Martinez and Shaw are all good role models? And that they're the only ones?
Based off his behaviour on the pitch, he’s an awful influence. His behaviour in the media and lack of accountability backs up assumptions too. Ten Hag has commented how good Martinez and Bruno are in training when it comes to standards, the Shaw shout is a bit of a punt, but he seems well behaved and is a consistently good player when fit. He comes across as a good influence in interviews too. I didn’t include Maguire, Lindelof, Eriksen and Casemiro as I’m not sure where their future lies.

roseguy64

Based off his behaviour on the pitch, he’s an awful influence. His behaviour in the media and lack of accountability backs up assumptions too. Ten Hag has commented how good Martinez and Bruno are in training when it comes to standards, the Shaw shout is a bit of a punt, but he seems well behaved and is a consistently good player when fit. He comes across as a good influence in interviews too. I didn’t include Maguire, Lindelof, Eriksen and Casemiro as I’m not sure where their future lies.
Would you consider Pogba a good influence in the dressing room?

Flykicking by B Gunn

Supports
Ipswich
He’s a United fan? Didn’t know that

He should be staying at Ipswich instead of going to Brighton. I can understand if he wants to go to Chelsea though
I believe he will end up in Manchester. But that it is far too early. Let him prove himself at the top level first.

kaku06

Vulgarian
As opposed to the angels we had back then in Schmeichel, Keane, Stam..
One of the moronic comments I have seen in a while. Yeah mate, the professionalism of Keane leading by example on the pitch is same as players like Rashford. What a car crash of a post.

kaku06

Vulgarian
How do you know that Rashford isn't a good influence? And that Fernandes, Martinez and Shaw are all good role models? And that they're the only ones?
Very good influence. Partying after humiliating defeat to your rivals. Going to Dublin partying again whole night and turning up late in training or calling sick before the match during the season. All good influence. Not to mention trotting on the pitch every match, not helping out your teammates and giving all for the team is again very good influence. All good.

mu4c_20le

One of the moronic comments I have seen in a while. Yeah mate, the professionalism of Keane leading by example on the pitch is same as players like Rashford. What a car crash of a post.
Tell us you just started following us recently without telling us you just started following us recently

kaku06

Vulgarian
People say he's a bad influence based on how he is on the field that he's not but players speak positively about him and about how helpful he is and such.
When was the last time you saw a player criticising a teammate or speak negatively about them? Never unless you are Roy Keane. If that is your evidence then it’s a very weak one.

mu4c_20le

How mature but not surprised given your last one.
Ah lighten up mate, I just dont think Rashford is the worst personality we've ever had. SAF would never have let him get to where he is now. My original point was that we need a strong leader to control the dressing room, rather than building a class of kindergarden students to accomodate McKenna. If he cant control egos then hes not the one for us. With that said, we'll need a clear-out at the end of the season as well, get rid of those who dont want to be here.

Infestissumam

going to Chelsea would just be stupid on his part.

Brighton (or Brentford, if Frank leaves) would make sense. Still hope we swoop in though.

criticalanalysis

hope he stays at Ipswich this season and we send him a few players on loan
Since Bruce went into management irrelevancy, we've been missing a good feeder club :(

Mowbray was all on the Amad gravy train when he was at Sunderland. Maybe we should give him a couple at Birmingham, who we already probably have a good relationship with anyways considering our loans there over the years.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Derided as a hapless coach, a mere P Neville look a like here. Now the hottest managerial property out there. Amazing how things change.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Athletic aren't rumours.
Could you show us the article in question? The only one I can see is an article that describes Ole’s conversation with The Athletic and his vision for the club:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/2213078/2020/11/27/manchester-utd-solskjaer-plan/

edit: another article in with Ole speaks about McKenna: he supposedly took charge on the defensive side of our game, and took charge of meetings with players to get Ole’s vision across:
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23511649.manchester-united-legend-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-kieran-mckenna/

mancsarered

I think throwing a young manager like Kieran into our mess could set his career back significantly. I hope he gets a job like Brighton with a squad that isn't relegation fodder. Maybe the seat will be ready for him one day.

Woodzy

I think throwing a young manager like Kieran into our mess could set his career back significantly. I hope he gets a job like Brighton with a squad that isn't relegation fodder. Maybe the seat will be ready for him one day.
I disagree, I feel like now with a new structure, a clear out of the worst players and embarrassing 8th placed finish to build open, we are kind of giving him the best possible chance to succeed and try and emulate what Arsenal have done with Arteta.

roseguy64

When was the last time you saw a player criticising a teammate or speak negatively about them? Never unless you are Roy Keane. If that is your evidence then it’s a very weak one.
They brought him up without his name being mentioned. It's not like they directly asked about Pogba. Most recent example is Amad. He's said Pogba was great guy and helped him out a lot.

mancsarered

I disagree, I feel like now with a new structure, a clear out of the worst players and embarrassing 8th placed finish to build open, we are kind of giving him the best possible chance to succeed and try and emulate what Arsenal have done with Arteta.
I think it takes more than a few months to get a new structure in place, one window doesn't do it. That's why I want to keep ETH as a placeholder. Let INEOS get something stable and ready for the young manager of the future (a Kieran prototype).

Brophs

The One and Only
Brighton looks the right job for him. He’d get eaten alive at United and Chelsea this early.

3KDré

McKenna to Brighton. Poch to Bayern, RDZ to Chelsea or Barca. Tuchel to United. That’s how I see it panning out.

marktan

He's very likely gone given the level of interest he's getting.

Ipswich spent £4m last summer.. their current squad isn't even close to competing especially as with a lot of promoted teams they relied on a couple of loans like Sarmiento and Williams from us.

They probably need close to 8 good new players.. but they're owned by an Arizona pension fund and a random American private equity firm backed by native American money.. unlike Forest, Bournemouth and Fulham who are owned billionaires and spent around £100m each they went up in 2022, I doubt they spend much at all. Especially since Burnley did so last season and signed poorly and went down.

I'd be surprised if they even spend close to £50m this summer truthfully. Given that, it's a no brainer for McKenna to go. Being Rob Edwards for a season isn't really an enticing prospect.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Thank god for that. Poch would be the most underwhelming appointment since Moyes.
More underwhelming than Ole? I think he’s a very good manager and won’t complain if we appoint him. I hope it’s either Tuchel who’s my first choice or him. I don’t want us to appoint De zerbi or McKenna or potter at this point.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Ah lighten up mate, I just dont think Rashford is the worst personality we've ever had. SAF would never have let him get to where he is now. My original point was that we need a strong leader to control the dressing room, rather than building a class of kindergarden students to accomodate McKenna. If he cant control egos then hes not the one for us. With that said, we'll need a clear-out at the end of the season as well, get rid of those who dont want to be here.
Agreed with most of your post actually but I do think Rashford has an attitude issue and McKenna won’t be able to solve it. Not experienced enough and not big enough yet.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Hope he stays at Ipswich, have no idea why you’d take a team up through two divisions and build that kind of rapport with a fanbase to just leave them in the lurch when you hit the big time. Especially to go to bloody Brighton ffs, half of their matchgoing fans don’t even support Brighton as their main team, Ipswich is a proper club.

T_Model101

Career kamikaze if McKenna heads to Chelsea - the most unappealing job in football.
Is it worth it for the money though?
Go there for big bucks, even if you fail, take a year out, someone will throw you a bone

Potter got offered the Ajax job recently no?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

More underwhelming than Ole? I think he’s a very good manager and won’t complain if we appoint him. I hope it’s either Tuchel who’s my first choice or him. I don’t want us to appoint De zerbi or McKenna or potter at this point.
When we had announced Ole as permanent manager, I was still riding the high of that night in Paris and his record breaking unbeaten run. Whereas with Poch, nothing he has done in the last 5 years has made me excited about the prospect of hiring him.

I agree with you on Tuchel - he is my preferred option out of the available managers.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Hope he stays at Ipswich, have no idea why you’d take a team up through two divisions and build that kind of rapport with a fanbase to just leave them in the lurch when you hit the big time. Especially to go to bloody Brighton ffs, half of their matchgoing fans don’t even support Brighton as their main team, Ipswich is a proper club.
Agreed. Would love to see him have at least one more season with Ipswich in the PL.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Seems United fans and us Chelsea fans are together in hoping like hell that we don’t appoint him.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He's very likely gone given the level of interest he's getting.

Ipswich spent £4m last summer.. their current squad isn't even close to competing especially as with a lot of promoted teams they relied on a couple of loans like Sarmiento and Williams from us.

They probably need close to 8 good new players.. but they're owned by an Arizona pension fund and a random American private equity firm backed by native American money.. unlike Forest, Bournemouth and Fulham who are owned billionaires and spent around £100m each they went up in 2022, I doubt they spend much at all. Especially since Burnley did so last season and signed poorly and went down.

I'd be surprised if they even spend close to £50m this summer truthfully. Given that, it's a no brainer for McKenna to go. Being Rob Edwards for a season isn't really an enticing prospect.
Given that, it’s a no brainier he stays and builds on his reputation by managing to give it a go with them, rather than be chewed up and spat out by that ridiculous Chelsea set up that will destroy his reputation like Potter.