Kieran McKenna | Ipswich manager

Munkehboi

I think if they get promoted, they will ship in as many goals as Sheff Utd has this season. Already 47 GA with 10 games to go. Maybe its just his tactics? I'm all for it though, they literally just think about outscoring the opposition. On course for Ipswich to be on top of the scoring charts again for two consecutive seasons.

Bwuk

Would love him back. Manager who just goes for it every single game and tries to win.

city-puma

It’s been an absolute pleasure following Ipswich this last couple of years. KM will be talked about for years to come around these parts, I’m sure: Whatever happens this season we need to recognise that it’s us, a newly promoted side, up against the 3 relegated sides with far far deeper pockets.
If forced to guess I’d still say it’s Leicester and Leeds who are lost likely to be in the automatic spots, but you just never know. There’s no pressure on us. If Kieran McKenna gets us up this season then he’s welcome to a statue alongside Sir Alf and Sir Bobby
The fight has not been over yet but your team apparently has turned the corner after the mediocre run lately. It looks similar to the last season that the team eventually found the way to turn the tide and went on to clinch the automatic promotion. I think your team is now in the same super shape for the final run to clinch the automatic promotion to EPL this season as well!

LInkash

Give him the Utd job? Please. Absolute crazy talk that is. What on earth do you think he's going to do with this squad now? A good bulk of the same dross he had here previously. Best of luck to him and I'd hope we watch from a distance.
We managed 2nd and 3rd with that dross. Most fans would bite your hand off for that.

CM

Ipswich won't win the league when Leicester is the competition but McKenna's done a really good job to even be in contention with them at this stage of the season. I really hope he manages to get promotion, their season has deserved it. I've got the nagging feeling that they'll end up falling into the play-offs and losing out.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I really like the look of him, he’s hit the ground running and doesn’t get bullied which so many young loanees do when they come to the championship. Will be interesting to see how far he goes.
Yeah, he's pretty press resistant which immediately caught my eye when I first saw him a few years ago. Every time I saw him in a youth game he was head and shoulders above everyone else.

He was actually my favourite Brighton talent until Enciso joined, who seems very close with Sarmiento. I really want to see them play together as I think their styles would provide excellent link up play, but I think Enciso will be gone before Sarmiento is integrated into the first team.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We should let him develop, rushing him back prematurely could backfire spectacularly. Especially considering the squad isn’t really that different to the one that cost him his job last time. We’d be sensible to wait and see how he does in the PL and he’d be sensible to wait for us to get a new structure in place.
What now?

Redivy

We've seen teams get a double promotion into the premier league, and the reverse, teams get relegated from the premier league into the league 1 in successive season, it is always quite fascinating to me. Is it momentum? Is the gap between the bottom of the premier league and top of league 1 not as drastic as it seems?

Regardless, McKenna has done a phenomenal job, and Ive been pleasantly surprised by his tactics. I assumed his teams would be very pragmatic, but he seems to have a decent set up and I think he has potential to one day break into the elite group of managers. Whilst it would be nice to see him get promoted and then establish Ipswich in the PL, it might be the best for his career if he jumps ship and finds himself a job at an already established club such as Brighton or Palace or even Brentford if the opportunity arises.

city-puma

We've seen teams get a double promotion into the premier league, and the reverse, teams get relegated from the premier league into the league 1 in successive season, it is always quite fascinating to me. Is it momentum? Is the gap between the bottom of the premier league and top of league 1 not as drastic as it seems?

Regardless, McKenna has done a phenomenal job, and Ive been pleasantly surprised by his tactics. I assumed his teams would be very pragmatic, but he seems to have a decent set up and I think he has potential to one day break into the elite group of managers. Whilst it would be nice to see him get promoted and then establish Ipswich in the PL, it might be the best for his career if he jumps ship and finds himself a job at an already established club such as Brighton or Palace or even Brentford if the opportunity arises.
Pragmatic? No, you have to associate him with creativity. Regardless how much he directly contributed in Ole era, the team had many creative ideas, McFred, Pogba on the left wing, etc

lsd

The Oracle
I find it strange that people and the media as well almost ignore what he is doing and instead look at Michael Carrick as the better choice for a future United Manager.

lex talionis

I'm late to this thread. I went to a college named McKenna so I'm particularly interested Kieran has accomplished so far. He always seemed a sharp guy with a bright future.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I find it strange that people and the media as well almost ignore what he is doing and instead look at Michael Carrick as the better choice for a future United Manager.
Is that the case?

I watched 20mn of the game yesterday, like the middle part of the 1st half, but it was quite boring and they were actually getting bossed (to an extent). Are they going through a bit of a rough spell, play-wise?

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
You would think the rough and tumble of the Championship would break people out of the mindset of the 'they won make him next United manager'/'they lost he's shit' thread bump cycle but here we are.

Skills

Snitch
We should let him develop, rushing him back prematurely could backfire spectacularly. Especially considering the squad isn’t really that different to the one that cost him his job last time. We’d be sensible to wait and see how he does in the PL and he’d be sensible to wait for us to get a new structure in place.
It wasn't the squad that cost him his job. It was the fanbase that wanted his and Carrick's head because they were letting Solskjaer down by not being as good as Pep's coaches.

If the fanbase hadn't made the entire place such a toxic cesspit, they might have stayed on.

tomaldinho1

They wouldn't ignore it if people were interested, sadly it's mostly Ipswich fans and then some United fans with a mild interest. Carrick is well known and a former top level player, for some tragic context given the social media world we now live in, Carrick (a quite bland and media shy player has 1.5m instagram followers, Ipswich FC have 287k, McKenna I don't think even has social media). That latter point makes me rate McKenna a lot more.

Munkehboi

They were 6th favourites @ 14/1, behind Leicester, Leeds, Saints, Boro & Norwich.
Even more impressive it that he's spent just less than £5m this season to make his squad compete for automatic promotion in the championship from Leauge One.

They are underdogs in a sense and he's managing to get his players to play for him in his system so well. Remember that Ipswich were stuck in L1 for around 4 seasons before he took over. Even though you could argue its a championship team, it's relatively the same team that he had in L1. McKenna has been very shrewd in the loan market though. Hutchinson looks a real talent and as some have pointed out, Sacriemento is very talented. Moore is a good Championship level signing too.

That being said, how he would manage a team of Primadonna's and players with inflated egos and salaries, who knows?

Varun1

It wasn't the squad that cost him his job. It was the fanbase that wanted his and Carrick's head because they were letting Solskjaer down by not being as good as Pep's coaches.

If the fanbase hadn't made the entire place such a toxic cesspit, they might have stayed on.
Let's not reinvent the past... They weren't sacked, they left the club. Maybe because they thought a fresh start was better, and not being associated to the failures under Ole.

This has nothing to do with the fans. And if you're fickle enough as a coach to bend to fan pressure, how would you react as a manager when things go wrong!

Last edited:
Reactions: sizzling sausages

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
They were 6th favourites @ 14/1, behind Leicester, Leeds, Saints, Boro & Norwich.
Where are you getting that from? I remember pricing up the Champ in my old job and think we had them about 7's in July.

macheda14

Hence why I called it the silly thing.

Let's not reinvent the past... They weren't sacked, they left walked away from the club. Maybe because they thought a fresh start was better, and not being associated to the failures under Ole.

This has nothing to do with the fans. And if you're fickle enough as a coach to bend to fan pressure, how would you react as a manager when things go wrong!
Let’s not reinvent the past, McKenna left after being offered a managerial job not ‘being fickle’ due to fan pressure and Carrick wanted time with his family after not having an extended period of time off his whole career.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I'm starting to dislike the little scrote. I caught the tail end of the Ipswich game last night and they clearly eat more Weetabix than the rest of us. It was like watching an uglier version of a Bielsa team. Fantastic mentality too. Bastards.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout

You're actually as clueless as you are tedious. It's quite impressive.

FizzyWomack

We managed 2nd and 3rd with that dross. Most fans would bite your hand off for that.
Best of luck to you if you want McKenna. We all know what was going on the season when we finished 2nd, empty grounds, things were far from normal that season. It was almost like training ground games with those empty stands.
Finishing 3rd, great. Would be nice to be finishing 3rd this year obviously. Also going by this logic, let's just bring Ole back then! :lol: (as much as we all love him as a player)

I do not believe for one minute McKenna is the man we should be getting, laughable in my opinion.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Wait, people are suggesting that fan pressure made them walk away?

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Last season heard all about Kompany. Nowadays not so much. It's a ruthless game, he's doing well, fairplay, but in the Premiership things can change quickly. So i'd be careful with the hype.

Remember the geese

Potter would be more likely to be appointed than McKenna in my opinion. Both would be a disaster I also believe.
Agreed that Potter would be more likely. As to how successful they would be, it depends on how easily they would be able to implement their ideas. The role is obviously going to be completely stripped back in terms of responsibilities, with a proper structure in place. Should give top coaches more of a chance to succeed.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Even more impressive it that he's spent just less than £5m this season to make his squad compete for automatic promotion in the championship from Leauge One.

They are underdogs in a sense and he's managing to get his players to play for him in his system so well. Remember that Ipswich were stuck in L1 for around 4 seasons before he took over. Even though you could argue its a championship team, it's relatively the same team that he had in L1. McKenna has been very shrewd in the loan market though. Hutchinson looks a real talent and as some have pointed out, Sacriemento is very talented. Moore is a good Championship level signing too.

That being said, how he would manage a team of Primadonna's and players with inflated egos and salaries, who knows?
That is an impressive track.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Lots of jammy wins similar to Liverpool. Reckon they will just about get pipped by Leeds who have better players. Some job he’s doing there though.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
People on here don’t watch the Championship. Just heard Carrick might be doing alright towards the end of last season then tuned in on them beating Chelsea a few weeks ago.