Kieran Tierney

Adnan

Talent Spotter
According to Duncan Castles we're watching him as a cheaper alternative to Sandro at Fullback. I've never seen him play but he seems to be highly rated. Would it be better to target Tierney and let him fight with Shaw at LB or spend £60m plus on Sandro? which in-turn would possibly affect our potential CM and RW captures.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Yes please!

If United decide not to go after Sandro to address the LB position for whatever reason, I’d much rather prefer we get Tierney than Sessegnon. ...personal preference that’s all really + Tierney is a natural LB whereas Sessegnon would have to be taught to play there regularly moving forward. And it’s fair to say Tierney has better odds to be a first choice starter sooner for United than Sessegnon would, which is huge considering next season is going to be win now mode for José and the club.

OohAahMartial

Depends partly on if we will switch to a wing back system of not.

Don't think we stand much chance of signing Sandro anyway personally. See him either staying or going to Chelsea.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Depends partly on if we will switch to a wing back system of not.

Don't think we stand much chance of signing Sandro anyway personally. See him either staying or going to Chelsea.
Having fullbacks who are good going forward is a must in the modern game no matter what system you play.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Only player Shaw is even remotely worth sacrificing for IMO. He’s pure class and has an incredible natural football IQ.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
I wouldn’t mind that at all.
Same here.

Sandro would come quite costly and would mean United allowed to spend big on only one of RW/CM in the summer and ‘cheap out’ on the other. AKA get one world class player in one position and another far less level player in the other.

...United have a pretty solid defense in terms of GA and with José at the helm it isn’t an immediate problem nor should it be in the distant future. United lack the most in offensive creativity so I wouldn’t mind if they ‘cheaped out’ on the LB to allow them to get a better quality RW+CM which is the team’s biggest concern. With 3 inevitable signings (RW, CM, LB) to make, 1 will be a world class signing in the summer, the other will be a not so world class signing, and the last will have to be more of an intelligent, calculated budget signing.

Sandro isn’t overly special imho. He just does a bit of everything a bit better than most at his position and the fact he’s the best now-impact LB available which holds added value for any team looking to contend/improve ASAP and not have to worry about any development to reach that impact level. However, Tierney can do just about everything Sandro does but obviously at a lower level being a rawer player/prospect. I’d rather bank on him starting+further developing there than spending that sort of ‘cheap’ money on a similar sort of CM who would be expected to start for us in much more crucial position.

Way I see it, world class money signing will cost around £80M-£120M in the summer. Not so world class signing will be around £50M-£70M and the ‘cheap budget’ signing will be in the range of £20M-£40M or so. Of the latter 2 signings, 1 will likely be made this January leaving the other and the big money signing both for the Summer. Essentially if we get Sandro for £60M, it will leave us with less (cheap buy) to use up front. But if we could get Tierney for £25M (who imo is the best of both worlds in terms of being able to step in right away as first choice LB and still further develop his game and improve more), it would mean we spend the upper limit or even exceed it for the middle range money buy which would be for an attacking position - instead of say Sandro at LB - which is what we lack most; so £80M-£120M for RW or CM and £60M-£75M for the other.

All things considered, I think ^ would be best suited for United seeing what positions they need to address and which of those need to be prioritized over others (the attacking/creative ones up front). Yes Sandro is an attacking player but he doesn’t wow you like Marcelo does, he’s just a sound player all around. So is Tierney who just has to take the next step and prove it on a bigger club. And if we’re then able to spend either the upper middle limit or big spend on a quality or world class CM, Pogba would be able to play LM regularly as he did last game like he did in his time with Juventus which clearly gets the best out of him. And it would put less pressure on the LB to attack (allow Tierney to take his time and not force it upon himself to try or do anything he’s not yet capable of) since Pogba would be freed up occupying that same side of the field more. If not and say we get Sandro, likely means we use the lower money limit on a CM who wouldn’t be of high quality and most of all would mean Pogba has to play alongside Matic more often than not to compensate for lack of CM depth/quality.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Bit worried about SPL signings tbh. Looks great from what I've seen though.
He's also played a couple of seasons in the UCL for Celtic. Not sure how he got on but it would be nice to hear from someone who watched him against Bayern or PSG.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Shaw is a better footballer than Tierney.
I beg to differ.

If anything, Shaw is just a more proven footballer than Tierney due to having played/playing at a higher stage or level of football. But that doesn’t in any way mean he’s automatically better than him because of that; if that was the case, it’d be like saying Fellaini is “better” than lower league players when in reality he’s not better than all of them, he’s just more proven playing in the EPL. In fact, I’d even say Tierney has more to offer in his toolbox as a player than Shaw does at this very moment despite being the rawer player. All he really has to do is prove himself at a higher stage of football but I’d say it’s pretty clear cut Tierney consistently brings more to the table compared to what Shaw’s able to muster up game-to-game.

RC89

Obligatory Youtube vid
This isn't a criticism of him, he looks quite good but... Is it me or is the defending really, really shit? It looks like they're almost just waiting to lunge at him and that's it.

redpatron

not going happen. Jose wants players ready now, not to educate them to play 3 years from now . He's going to walk, if we keep bringing in kids.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's definitely very good. Just how good he is, and how good he'd be in a much tougher Premier League would be another matter, but it's worth noting that he's still only 20-years old, and that he has a fair bit of composure and experience already for someone so young. Obviously it's fair for there to be concerns about how an SPL player would adapt in the PL but the likes of Wanyama and Van Dijk have come down south in recent years and been at the very least solid players.

Tierney's been one of the key figures in what's probably (at least last season at least) one of the best Celtic sides in a decade or so. Already captained Scotland too in spite of how young he is. Definitely one to be keeping an eye on.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
not going happen. Jose wants players ready now, not to educate them to play 3 years from now . He's going to walk, if we keep bringing in kids.
Tierney's young but he's not exactly a 'kid'. If we want him then we'll be paying a substantial fee and if that happens then we're not buying him so he can sit on the bench or be sent out on loan.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Spending €70m on a fullback like Sandro when we already have Shaw who seems to be doing well again would be silly and it would hamper us in our pursuit for a CM and RW.

It would make sense signing someone who has been described as being the best Scottish talent since the 80's to battle it out with Shaw for the LB spot. The competition should bring out the best in both Shaw and Tierney and it would give credence to what Mourinho said in his presser about leaving a good team for his successor.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
This isn't a criticism of him, he looks quite good but... Is it me or is the defending really, really shit? It looks like they're almost just waiting to lunge at him and that's it.
Considering it's the SPL the quality of defending is pretty abysmal compared to what he'd face in the PL, but I don't think that detracts from his ability - still fast and skillful on the ball going forward, whilst also being fairly capable at the back. Naturally he's not going to look quite as good at this level since it's a step-up but we've seen countless examples of players from smaller, lower-quality leagues making the step up and performing well because they're just good footballers.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Spending €70m on a fullback like Sandro when we already have Shaw who seems to be doing well again would be silly and it would hamper us in our pursuit for a CM and RW.

It would make sense signing someone who has been described as being the best Scottish talent since the 80's to battle it out with Shaw for the LB spot. The competition should bring out the best in both Shaw and Tierney and it would give credence to what Mourinho said in his presser about leaving a good team for his successor.
Probably also worth noting that Tierney's managed to demonstrate a bit of versatility as well. He's slotted in at right-back before, and has even had the odd game at centre-back. Obviously playing him as a CB would be limiting his game to an extent considering his pace and ability on the ball...and I suspect he'd be exposed in that position when up against physical or tricky players, but he'll only get better (you'd imagine) and it's something worth considering.

redpatron

Tierney's young but he's not exactly a 'kid'. If we want him then we'll be paying a substantial fee and if that happens then we're not buying him so he can sit on the bench or be sent out on loan.
He’s 20, he’s a kid. And he’s coming up from a weaker league, do people really he’s going to come into the epl and set the league fire? He’s going to be a project like Memphis, like martial, like sane. It’s going to take time, jose doesn’t have the patience.

NotQuiteManc

^^^
Plus Shaw is still can be considered a ‘kid’ rather than a finished product. I rather United go for the likes of Sandro so it would increase the quality and Shaw can become a squad option.

ti vu

^^^
Plus Shaw is still can be considered a ‘kid’ rather than a finished product. I rather United go for the likes of Sandro so it would increase the quality and Shaw can become a squad option.
Or if we're being cheap and stick with Shaw while adding a competitor for the position, then I would go for Sessegnon. He seems to be ready to convert to a winger ifn case Shaw makes the LB spot his own. He would help the homegrown quota. Shaw is still young and thing can change plenty in one year.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Or if we're being cheap and stick with Shaw while adding a competitor for the position, then I would go for Sessegnon. He seems to be ready to convert to a winger ifn case Shaw makes the LB spot his own. He would help the homegrown quota. Shaw is still young and thing can change plenty in one year.
He already is playing as a winger. He's not a LB!

Red_toad

He’s 20, he’s a kid. And he’s coming up from a weaker league, do people really he’s going to come into the epl and set the league fire? He’s going to be a project like Memphis, like martial, like sane. It’s going to take time, jose doesn’t have the patience.
Memphis wanted to play, was not Jose' fault he wasn't good enough to start over Martial. Jose has improved Martial as a player and has been very patient with him. I don't get the whole oh let's just blame Jose for everything when it comes to younger players. If they're good enough they will get chances, or we'll loan them out to gain experience.

As for Tierney, he does look good at Celtic, but that means very little when transferring that to the EPL. I'd rather we stuck with Young/ Shaw and spend the money elsewhere.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That's not quite accurate is it? If you're good enough you'll get the minutes. SAF wasn't any different.

Tierney needs exposure at a higher level before he convinces. At the moment he's playing at a Championship level in the SPL

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Only seen him in one game - the Derby - and he looked very average.

Totally weary of signing players straight from the SPL. Dembele was last years next best thing and he’s going Brighton...

LonelyFire

Living in Glasgow and attending all Scotland games for past 3 years, I have seen a lot of Tierney. Good player? Yes. Very level headed as well. Good enough for Utd? No. Full back has become such a prominent position and you need that top level pace and quality to play for a team like Utd. He’s just a level below that. Very similar to Andy Robertson although I would say Tierney is slightly better. Celtic fans would likely disagree with me but from an objective stand point, he’s not got the qualities required for a top European side.

Acole9

Outstanding
He was to come here it would only be as back up for Shaw.

Mcking

With Shaw's recent perfomances, this transfer will be the most pointless of pointless transfers.

Robbie Boy

That's not quite accurate is it? If you're good enough you'll get the minutes. SAF wasn't any different.

Tierney needs exposure at a higher level before he convinces. At the moment he's playing at a Championship level in the SPL
The problem here is like with VVD and Wanyama, if he moves to a lesser PL team and impresses, he will cost astronomical money.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Bit worried about SPL signings tbh. Looks great from what I've seen though.
I understand your sentiment but it is just that that put Liverpool off bidding for VVD when he was at Celtic and suddenly he now costs 75m. My son is a big Celtic fan and he rates Tierney highly. We were hoping that we’d sign him instead of Robertson. What I have seen of Tierney I think he has the ability and potential to make the move south even to a Club like United.

CM

Celtic fans might rate him as the best thing ever but it's worth bearing in mind the calibre of opposition in the SPL. Even the most physically developed players like Wanyama and van Dijk have needed a middle step before moving on to the bigger teams here.

I can't claim to have watched a whole lot of him but from the bits I have seen he strikes me as pretty ordinary. Suggestions of him being better than Shaw seem way off base to me.

Classical Mechanic

I haven't seem much of this lad but I'd rather stick with Shaw and Young and gamble on Sessegnon, although I firmly believe Sessegnon will be an attacking player.

If we can get Shaw up to his potential then we will have one of the best about. I think we should focus on that.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Seems a good young player but shouldn't we be buying a player that is ready now (as well?) - I know you all hate the comparisons but Man City are our competition if we want to challenge for honours again and they bought two ready made top full backs in the summer in Mendy and Walker. Seems that we are looking to do things on the cheap again.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
In that case why on earth did we bought Lindelof, Bailly and Pogba?

Robbie Boy

Celtic fans might rate him as the best thing ever but it's worth bearing in mind the calibre of opposition in the SPL. Even the most physically developed players like Wanyama and van Dijk have needed a middle step before moving on to the bigger teams here.

I can't claim to have watched a whole lot of him but from the bits I have seen he strikes me as pretty ordinary. Suggestions of him being better than Shaw seem way off base to me.
Neither did and both could have made a move straight away to a top club but no one took the gamble.

Kidders

What would we be buying him for ? Is it to replace Shaw or as a back up Shaw, neither makes sense, he's no better than Shaw(ATM), and considering we've just extended the contracts of Blind and Young we have 'decent' back up.
We should only sign players who can come straight into the team and improve us, Tierney can only be seen as an long term prospect and wether we like it or not, developing talent in the first team won't happen under Jose.
Although it rarely works out (Fosu-Mensa) it may be an option to buy him and loan him out to develope elsewhere.