Kieran Tierney

Camilo

Celtic and Rangers are huge clubs the only two clubs that come close to them down south in terms of supporters are united and Liverpool. Sky money/oil money has obviously warped a few minds. Where people think Chelsea and City are huge clubs when in reality both the Scottish clubs have much more of a following.
It's very true. The EPL might be full of quality players and money, but it's largely outside money - rich families buying their playthings. Celebrating and judging clubs based on how much money someone gave them is clearly mad - a "rich people are better" attitude, which is strange coming from the working class football background.

poleglass red

Based only in some youtube videos that i watched i'm in favor to sign the kid and test our luck. But your argument about Fred and the Portuguese League is not good.

Fred had a lot of games in the Champions League against top opposition and is a Brazil international. The Portuguese League is not elite but formed dozens of top players during the history. Including the current Balon D'or winner.
Tierney has played in CL. Scottish league has produced top players also, current most expensive defender in the world. A league doesn't have to be elite to produce good players, that's my point, yet some here automatically knock back Tierney simply because where he has played.

poleglass red

UEFA rankings have the Portuguese and Ukrainian leagues as 7th and 8th respectively and the Scottish league as 26th, 3 places behind Azerbaijan.
Belgian league is 9th, yet in group stages of this seasons cl Celtic beat Anderlecht 3 nil away from home. They did lose the home leg 1 nil, but those rankings are tough on teams where you only have 1 team in it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Tierney has played in CL. Scottish league has produced top players also, current most expensive defender in the world. A league doesn't have to be elite to produce good players, that's my point, yet some here automatically knock back Tierney simply because where he has played.
Not to mention Celtic's best players who've gone down south in recent years have been consistently decent - Wanyama, VVD, Forster etc. Whether Tierney's cut out for the very top level remains to be seen but he's already accomplished at a young age and is clearly good enough for this level.

Hephaestus

Belgian league is 9th, yet in group stages of this seasons cl Celtic beat Anderlecht 3 nil away from home. They did lose the home leg 1 nil, but those rankings are tough on teams where you only have 1 team in it.
True, was just pointing out why people are more willing to accept people from the Ukrainian/Portuguese leagues. I probably should have put in that post that I'd be happy with this guy as well, but I don't think it's wrong to question the strength of the Scottish league. As you say though, his performances for Celtic in the CL should calm that issue.

Glaswegian

It’s because the other leagues are shitter and secondly Celtic and Rangers have over the years talked nonsense/boasted about how big they are blah blah
Eh? Celtic and Rangers lack exposure and money the clubs in England have yet are known over the world, Celtic are really well supported for a team in a so called pub league.

It is from my experience just an arrogance thing when it comes to English fans, I've come across it loads in real life and online.

James Peril

Eh? Celtic and Rangers lack exposure and money the clubs in England have yet are known over the world, Celtic are really well supported for a team in a so called pub league.

It is from my experience just an arrogance thing when it comes to English fans, I've come across it loads in real life and online.
Nah, I'm Norwegian and share the sentiment. Celtic are well-known all over the world, but only because of the stupid catholic vs. protestant-nonsense in the past, which has got nothing to do with football. Furthermore, people in Glasgow are naturally just as interested in football as their close relatives in England, hence they go to the stadium and have a look at their local clubs. Scottish football is dreadful.

Glaswegian

Cos those leagues are so shit that it doesn't even need saying.
Why bash other leagues though? Who cares what is shit and what isn't shit, most teams have to work with what they have got. For what we have here in a nation of 5 million people we do alright. Definitely punching below our weight on the international stage and I'd say if Hibs, Aberdeen and co could get a better infrastructure at their clubs they could be making Europa League group stages.

Hephaestus

Why bash other leagues though? Who cares what is shit and what isn't shit, most teams have to work with what they have got. For what we have here in a nation of 5 million people we do alright. Definitely punching below our weight on the international stage and I'd say if Hibs, Aberdeen and co could get a better infrastructure at their clubs they could be making Europa League group stages.
I mean, if it's people starting a thread just to say "The scottish league is shite" then I agree but if it's just people trying to evaluate a signing then I'd say the strength or weakness is a logical discussion point. Seen plenty of people talking about it with other leagues in this subforum.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I mean, if it's people starting a thread just to say "The scottish league is shite" then I agree but if it's just people trying to evaluate a signing then I'd say the strength or weakness is a logical discussion point. Seen plenty of people talking about it with other leagues in this subforum.
Well yes, but you can still judge the player on question on their merits. Obviously they may have it a bit easier but a player who's, say, got a lot of pace, is still going to have a lot of pace down south. Similarly someone who's a good dribbler is probably going to still be a good dribbler at a higher level, even if they're not quite getting as much space on the ball.

Plenty of Celtic's best players have come to the PL and done just fine. Plus Tierney's played in Europe and for Scotland regularly and hasn't looked out of place. And he's also still very young, and has demonstrated he's a fairly mature footballer who's focused on continuing to improve his game.

Glaswegian

Sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying, but on your point I'd say a quality player can be found anywhere. I wouldn't turn my nose up to a player based on their league standing, some players have massive potential and can in the right circumstances grow into exceptional talents. I'm not daft, I know players aren't going to become world beaters in the SPL but to say there isn't players here who could make that step up given the right club and the right group of players round about them is just silly and reeks of arrogance.

Not saying you were being arrogant by the way, I just get kind of fed up reading about how the Scottish league is this and that. So what, we don't have the riches of the EPL, should the teams up here just call it a day then, because some guy that supports a Wigan Athletic for example says his Nan could win this league.

Scottish football is actually pretty fun, the circus that follows it up here in the media can be just as interesting. It's is going to be a good laugh this year with Gerrard thinking he can come up and win the league cause he is Stevie Me.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Nah, I'm Norwegian and share the sentiment. Celtic are well-known all over the world, but only because of the stupid catholic vs. protestant-nonsense in the past, which has got nothing to do with football. Furthermore, people in Glasgow are naturally just as interested in football as their close relatives in England, hence they go to the stadium and have a look at their local clubs. Scottish football is dreadful.
Not because of the fact that they've won the European Cup and have regularly pulled off massive victories in the CL against big teams? Obviously the religious shite mars OF games to a certain extent but their renown worldwide (both Celtic and Rangers) transcends those troubles.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well yes, but you can still judge the player on question on their merits. Obviously they may have it a bit easier but a player who's, say, got a lot of pace, is still going to have a lot of pace down south. Similarly someone who's a good dribbler is probably going to still be a good dribbler at a higher level, even if they're not quite getting as much space on the ball.

Plenty of Celtic's best players have come to the PL and done just fine. Plus Tierney's played in Europe and for Scotland regularly and hasn't looked out of place. And he's also still very young, and has demonstrated he's a fairly mature footballer who's focused on continuing to improve his game.
Well said both. I argued both of these points earlier in the thread, and would be very excited if we signed Tierney to see what he could do.

Hephaestus

With pace, yeah that will translate for certain. But I'm not so sure about dribbling, remembering Memphis and how great a dribbler he looked whenever we played a weaker side in the Europa League and how terrible he looked in the PL. I agree that no matter the league you can judge a player but I think that when it comes to judging whether you want a player to be signed, the teams he's played against can and should be taken into account. Crucially though, everything you've put in the second paragraph absolutely should be taken into evaluation as well, why I'm in favour of signing him.
Sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying, but on your point I'd say a quality player can be found anywhere. I wouldn't turn my nose up to a player based on their league standing, some players have massive potential and can in the right circumstances grow into exceptional talents. I'm not daft, I know players aren't going to become world beaters in the SPL but to say there isn't players here who could make that step up given the right club and the right group of players round about them is just silly and reeks of arrogance.

Not saying you were being arrogant by the way, I just get kind of fed up reading about how the Scottish league is this and that. So what, we don't have the riches of the EPL, should the teams up here just call it a day then, because some guy that supports a Wigan Athletic for example says his Nan could win this league.

Scottish football is actually pretty fun, the circus that follows it up here in the media can be just as interesting. It's is going to be a good laugh this year with Gerrard thinking he can come up and win the league cause he is Stevie Me.
Think that's something everyone on here can agree with :lol:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What are you smoking?

Deleted member 101472

Update:

Celtic board have made their number known, they will accept any bid of that amount and leave it up to Kieran what to do.

HIGH chance he leaves, given he had been told before to his face that no bid would be accepted.

ODB2010

,I hope united go in for this lad. Young can't be the left back next season. Huge potential and the right attitude this fella has.

Remember this.

Deleted member 101472

I just got sent a Snapchat, can someone please remind me to share what it was at the end of the transfer window :lol::lol:

CM

Update:

Celtic board have made their number known, they will accept any bid of that amount and leave it up to Kieran what to do.

HIGH chance he leaves, given he had been told before to his face that no bid would be accepted.
Do you want to try flip-flopping a bit more?

CM

This almost straight form the horses mouth

“He’d rather end up on 30 grand a week and captain Celtic than 100 grand a week anywhere else”

I think if it’s his choice, he’ll stay but Celtic just can’t turn down 25 million quid for a defender, that’s 23 milllion in the pockets of the board and 2 million on an SPL level player.
I can’t explain to you how money motivated the Celtic board are. Sure, they love the club but they want to get paid. You wave 20million at them, they’ll cave eventually. 3 million of that will go to Brendan and the rest goes straight in the pocket of the decision men. All it takes is hard bargaining from United.

@SwansonsTache trust me, he’s as close as you’ll get to a footballer being honest when they say they won’t leave for the challenge and the money. He knows he’ll retire a multimillionaire if he stays at Celtic, and likely have a job for life at the club. He’s as loyal as they come.
May aswell close this until next season. He’s going nowhere this summer.
Even if Real Madrid come in for him. He’s committed to Celtic the same way Paolo Maldini was to AC Milan only the fans love him even more.
Close this thread until next summer. He's not moving.
Excuse my skepticism but how do you go from posting things like this to providing an 'update' of him being highly likely to leave once news of an Everton bid breaks in the press?

You even posted this last month:
Apparently representatives from Everton were in touch recently and told to feck off :lol:
If he's as loyal as you claim he is, why would he allow himself to get forced out of the club? Or more pertinently, why would the club force him out if he's as good as you claim he is?

pascell

If he's as loyal as you claim he is, why would he allow himself to get forced out of the club? Or more pertinently, why would the club force him out if he's as good as you claim he is?
Maybe none of that's happening? A club accepting a bid isn't forcing a player out, it's just them coming to the realisation, that the money put on the table is an acceptable amount, every player has a price afterall. If the player wishes to move then it's all done amicably, no hard feelings, the player accepts he could further himself more at said club and Celtic gain an amount to steady the ship for the next few seasons.

Deleted member 101472

@CM10 i don’t ask for updates every day, when I hear something I ask one of the most reliable sources you can imagine and then let you know the score.

Literally let everyone know of evertons interest over a month ago and now you’re sceptical because I’m giving more news about the same link? :lol:

I imagine what’s happened here is Everton basically haven’t taken no for an answer and neither they should, it’s an amazing signing for them.

gr3yham3

@CM10 i don’t ask for updates every day, when I hear something I ask one of the most reliable sources you can imagine and then let you know the score.

Literally let everyone know of evertons interest over a month ago and now you’re sceptical because I’m giving more news about the same link? :lol:

I imagine what’s happened here is Everton basically haven’t taken no for an answer and neither they should, it’s an amazing signing for them.
So you are saying that he is most likely going to sign for Everton?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
To be fair, a lot of things change in the transfer market. If Celtic has indicated that he can leave then not sure how can he stay?