Kieran Tierney

Cliche Guevara

And that will turn to 20 and 30 in a row. Celtic are too far ahead money wise for Rangers to catch them. It's not that it's a tin pot trophy. It's that winning it as a Celtic player means absolutely nothing. How the fans can get giddy of winning it without competition is beyond me.
No offence but you don’t understand the situation.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Would you say there’s a difference between how much it means to them to live out their dream?
My point is that AC Milan was tops at the time. They were the richest and most successful team in the world and in my opinion, the best team ever assembled. At AC Milan, Maldini could compete for any trophy he wanted, he could play alongside absolute stars and by playing there he had a guaranteed place in one of the best national teams of all time as AC Milan = Italy.

Tierney's experience is closer to Le Tissier's rather then Maldini's with the only difference that the former used to face quality opponents on a near week in week out basis.

Deleted member 101472

My point is that AC Milan was tops at the time. They were the richest and most successful team in the world and in my opinion, the best team ever assembled. At AC Milan, Maldini could compete for any trophy he wanted, he could play alongside absolute stars and by playing there he had a guaranteed place in one of the best national teams of all time as AC Milan = Italy.

Tierney's experience is closer to Le Tissier's rather then Maldini's with the only difference that the former used to face quality opponents on a near week in week out basis.
I get all that. You’re missing the point

devilish

I get all that. You’re missing the point
you're missing the point.

Its one thing sticking to a top club whose at its top both in terms of success and salaries given and its one thing leaving a big fish in a small league that no one really cares about. Maldini had no reason whatsoever to leave AC Milan because for a big chunk of his career there was no better option for him then them. Things are different with Tierney.

Grande

Its one thing sticking to a top club whose at its top both in terms of success and salaries given and its one thing leaving a big fish in a small league that no one really cares about. Maldini had no reason whatsoever to leave AC Milan because for a big chunk of his career there was no better option for him then them. Things are different with Tierney.
You actually replied to his point, which you missed. You obviously have another point, nothing to do with the point you commented on...

His point: Playing and winning for Celtic is a longstanding dream for Tierney, much the same way playing for Milan was a dream for Maldini, and those dreams hold high value with both those players (unlike many young players). This makes it less of a haste to move onward for Tierney, it doesn’t mean he will play his entire carreer at Celtic like Henke Larsson almost did.

Your point: There are also differences between Tierney and Maldini’s situations. Which is not relevant to his point, and which I guess we all knew beforehand?

By commenting on his point with your own point, you’re missing the point.

devilish

You actually replied to his point, which you missed. You obviously have another point, nothing to do with the point you commented on...

His point: Playing and winning for Celtic is a longstanding dream for Tierney, much the same way playing for Milan was a dream for Maldini, and those dreams hold high value with both those players (unlike many young players). This makes it less of a haste to move onward for Tierney, it doesn’t mean he will play his entire carreer at Celtic like Henke Larsson almost did.

Your point: There are also differences between Tierney and Maldini’s situations. Which is not relevant to his point, and which I guess we all knew beforehand?

By commenting on his point with your own point, you’re missing the point.
Playing for Milan was Maldini's dream however it was hardly a moot point leaving it. That's because for a long time there were no club better then AC Milan. Hence why its different between Tierney and him.

Deleted member 101472

What @Grande said.

I didn’t bring in ability, quality of the team they played for or quality of the opposition. The only thing I’m trying to get across here is that it means everything to them to be living this dream out, so given that he’s so young, still mega rich and injury barring will always be in demand by a bigger club, he’s happy just to live the dream.

Is it really difficult to see why a player might want to hold onto this for a little longer and set his future to the side indefinitely (he won’t be as adored anywhere else)

devilish

What @Grande said.

I didn’t bring in ability, quality of the team they played for or quality of the opposition. The only thing I’m trying to get across here is that it means everything to them to be living this dream out, so given that he’s so young, still mega rich and injury barring will always be in demand by a bigger club, he’s happy just to live the dream.

Is it really difficult to see why a player might want to hold onto this for a little longer and set his future to the side indefinitely (he won’t be as adored anywhere else)

All I am saying is that you're asking from Tierney to make a way bigger sacrifice then Maldini/Giggs/Scholes did. That's all.

Deleted member 101472

Playing for Milan was Maldini's dream however it was hardly a moot point leaving it. That's because for a long time there were no club better then AC Milan. Hence why its different between Tierney and him.
Maldini had no interest in leaving because he was living out his dreams. Tierney won’t leave right now for the exact same reasons. Your opinion on this is based on what you think, not what you know.

Deleted member 101472

Should he leave, what sort of fee do you reckon we’re looking at here?
I just can’t see Celtic turning down 25-30million, as much as it would piss off every single fan, the board are culpable like that.

Add 10 million to that and you’ll find a few more fans willing to accept it so long as half of it goes back into the team.

Deleted member 101472

All I am saying is that you're asking from Tierney to make a way bigger sacrifice then Maldini/Giggs/Scholes did. That's all.
Do you see why In his mind right now, it wouldn’t be seen as a sacrifice? Rather as a continuation of euphoria?

devilish

Maldini had no interest in leaving because he was living out his dreams. Tierney won’t leave right now for the exact same reasons. Your opinion on this is based on what you think, not what you know.
Maldini didn't leave because he loves AC Milan and because there was no better place for him to be. Take the latter out of the equation and things get hazy. Hence why, he refuses to be part of the AC Milan setup now despite being offered the job multiple times. AC Milan is not the best place to be anymore, quite the contrary.

Grande

Of course it’s different. Everyone knows it’s different. You are stating the obvious, which is strange in this context.

Maldini stayed at Milan his whole carreer, unlike most, even those who can.

Nobody here believes, I am sure, that Tierney will stay at Celtic his entire carreer. The difference is obvious.

What is interesting to hear though, and not obvious, is that someone who knows more than most of us about Tierney says he has the motivation of playing for his dream club, and that may likely influence how fast he will be wanting to leave.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Nobody is saying Tierney will spend his entire career there. Probably not even himself or Celtic fans. They'll know that he will move eventually.

But being a huge fan of the club will make it more likely that he's happy to stay there a couple of years longer. And that appears to be his plan - stay there another couple of years and then move on. It's a risk, yes. But he may consider it a risk worth taking.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Tierney to Man Utd, won't happen while Celic have a chance of 10 in a row,

No matter calling it a tinpot league, 10 in a row is the holy grail as far as celtic board, management and players
are concerned

Even if Celtic reluctantly accept and offer the player will say no
who cares anymore? seriously there is absolutely no competition and one title more in scotland doesnt mean anything much. Who cares if it is 10th, 13th or 14th ion a row? Did Tierney win all the 9 before so it would be 10 in a row for him? No, even so, hes got future elsewhere if he wants to step up and get to top football

EDIT: Not saying hwe should leave for TOP team now, some premier league team could defenitely use him already though.. and he could fast forward his career..

Last edited:

Deleted member 101472

Can the people saying ten in a row/Scottish football doesn’t matter just keep their opinions to themselves please? It shouldn’t have to be explained every time how shit of an assumption that is.

devilish

Of course it’s different. Everyone knows it’s different. You are stating the obvious, which is strange in this context.

Maldini stayed at Milan his whole carreer, unlike most, even those who can.

Nobody here believes, I am sure, that Tierney will stay at Celtic his entire carreer. The difference is obvious.

What is interesting to hear though, and not obvious, is that someone who knows more than most of us about Tierney says he has the motivation of playing for his dream club, and that may likely influence how fast he will be wanting to leave.
So why comparing a meah fullback of a meah club playing in a meah league to the best left back of his era, who spent his entire career with one of the biggest clubs in the world?

Trizy

Can the people saying ten in a row/Scottish football doesn’t matter just keep their opinions to themselves please? It shouldn’t have to be explained every time how shit of an assumption that is.
It doesn't matter, though. Shit league, shit team. bait

CM

Honestly, if anyone has any questions about this transfer just ask me, I won’t reveal the source publicly but I can assure I’ll know of anything before a journalist does, and when/if there’s something concrete I’ll post it here.
How does the player feel about a transfer to a big club given that he's an average Scottish full-back playing in a dreadful league?

Grande

So why comparing a meah fullback of a meah club playing in a meah league to the best left back of his era, who spent his entire career with one of the biggest clubs in the world?
Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate!
Added to that, thou art more durable
Although, for swimming, I’d choose that instead.

Why comparing something with something else? Because among the differences, there is a likeness that is the whole point.

Deleted member 101472

Club Captain

“Has been told he’s not for sale at any price by the board. Has also been told that he’ll be captain in 19/20 or the following season depending on how Broony's legs are and that his contract will be considerably upgraded again when he gets the captaincy. Tierney himself is currently in the mindset that he wants to be a one club man, wants to captain us and spend his career living the dream - although my source is of the opinion the club will want to cash in after the ten is done. Until then it doesn't matter if a bid of 30 million plus came in because the board realise he's only going to get better and the price will only go up and we don't need the cash to compete in the league. Everton representatives enquired about him and were told to eff off.

Seems obvious and what you'd expect from everything he's said in the media etc but comes from a solid source close to him, only thing of doubt was apparently there's been discussions of training him at centre mid, which sounds slightly bizarre.”

This is from one of the main Celtic forums, so which one of you in here wants to own up to making me your source? :lol:

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Club Captain

“Has been told he’s not for sale at any price by the board. Has also been told that he’ll be captain in 19/20 or the following season depending on how Broony's legs are and that his contract will be considerably upgraded again when he gets the captaincy. Tierney himself is currently in the mindset that he wants to be a one club man, wants to captain us and spend his career living the dream - although my source is of the opinion the club will want to cash in after the ten is done. Until then it doesn't matter if a bid of 30 million plus came in because the board realise he's only going to get better and the price will only go up and we don't need the cash to compete in the league. Everton representatives enquired about him and were told to eff off.

Seems obvious and what you'd expect from everything he's said in the media etc but comes from a solid source close to him, only thing of doubt was apparently there's been discussions of training him at centre mid, which sounds slightly bizarre.”

This is from one of the main Celtic forums, so which one of you in here wants to own up to making me your source? :lol:
We have journos taking their rumours from here, might just as well be some cnut just browsing.

JMack1234

In my opinion we need two LBs

1. Blind isn't good enough at LB
2. Ashely Young is old and not that good
3. Darmian is worse at LB than at RB which is really saying something
4. Mourinho hates Shaw and I really want him to move on because I find it so uncomfortably watching their soap opera + I don't think Shaw is that good anyway.

I'd have Tierney in a heartbeat. Yes he plays in a shocking league but from what I hear he's already a leader which we sorely lack and he's a pretty good LB. Furthermore, I reckon we could bully Celtic into them selling us him on the cheap. After all, £25 million is all they need to blow Rangers and the rest of the league out the water.

jesperjaap

In my opinion we need two LBs

1. Blind isn't good enough at LB
2. Ashely Young is old and not that good
3. Darmian is worse at LB than at RB which is really saying something
4. Mourinho hates Shaw and I really want him to move on because I find it so uncomfortably watching their soap opera + I don't think Shaw is that good anyway.

I'd have Tierney in a heartbeat. Yes he plays in a shocking league but from what I hear he's already a leader which we sorely lack and he's a pretty good LB. Furthermore, I reckon we could bully Celtic into them selling us him on the cheap. After all, £25 million is all they need to blow Rangers and the rest of the league out the water.
Young and/or Shaw are definately ok for back up for another season at least, we cant and wotn be signing two this summer with all the players we do need. The thing that does interest me more than anything about Tierney is his possible leadership qualities as that is one thing we really are short of and none of our younger players look to have that either, that is a very good point you make

A9X SJ

He would be a good purchase I reckon look at Robertson took him a while to get to the Top level via Queens Park, Dundee Utd, Hull then Liverpool

Tierney is already playing in the Champions Lge etc worth a punt

Glaswegian

Yeah, I find that odd. Why do folk care so much about Scottish football if it is so shit? Why not bash the Welsh and Irish leagues too? What about Norway and Denmark? Is there some undercurrent of Scottish hatred? I do wonder. It is something I come across a helluva lot on specifically English based teams forums. Is it because for the size of the country Scotland has a pretty good footballing history with teams that again for the size of the country and coverage of the league have a standing in the football world.

Scottish football is what it is, people up here love it. English supporters seem to revel in hating it. We've got good teams here with a good history, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United, Dunfermline, Celtic and so on.

Hephaestus

Yeah, I find that odd. Why do folk care so much about Scottish football if it is so shit? Why not bash the Welsh and Irish leagues too? What about Norway and Denmark? Is there some undercurrent of Scottish hatred? I do wonder. It is something I come across a helluva lot on specifically English based teams forums. Is it because for the size of the country Scotland has a pretty good footballing history with teams that again for the size of the country and coverage of the league have a standing in the football world.

Scottish football is what it is, people up here love it. English supporters seem to revel in hating it. We've got good teams here with a good history, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United, Dunfermline, Celtic and so on.
Cos those leagues are so shit that it doesn't even need saying.

AkaAkuma

How's his crossing? His compilation showed him hit the first man more often than not.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

It’s because the other leagues are shitter and secondly Celtic and Rangers have over the years talked nonsense/boasted about how big they are blah blah

poleglass red

It is strange, yet we've no problem buying a kid who has played 7 games in the Portuguese league, which isn't exactly a top league. Same with Fred, the Ukrainian league isn't great either. We are all excited about these signings, yet some on here are near sick at the thought of signing a quality youngster who has played 80 odd games for Celtic. I understand the Scottish league's quality isn't as high as the big leagues- far from it, but neither is the other 2 aforementioned leagues either. We have scouting networks in place for a reason. Funny thing is if we did sign Tierney I think he's settle and adapt quicker than the other 2.

Hephaestus

It is strange, yet we've no problem buying a kid who has played 7 games in the Portuguese league, which isn't exactly a top league. Same with Fred, the Ukrainian league isn't great either. We are all excited about these signings, yet some on here are near sick at the thought of signing a quality youngster who has played 80 odd games for Celtic. I understand the Scottish league's quality isn't as high as the big leagues- far from it, but neither is the other 2 aforementioned leagues either. We have scouting networks in place for a reason. Funny thing is if we did sign Tierney I think he's settle and adapt quicker than the other 2.
UEFA rankings have the Portuguese and Ukrainian leagues as 7th and 8th respectively and the Scottish league as 26th, 3 places behind Azerbaijan.

Charles Miller

Based only in some youtube videos that i watched i'm in favor to sign the kid and test our luck. But your argument about Fred and the Portuguese League is not good.

Fred had a lot of games in the Champions League against top opposition and is a Brazil international. The Portuguese League is not elite but formed dozens of top players during the history. Including the current Balon D'or winner.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s because the other leagues are shitter and secondly Celtic and Rangers have over the years talked nonsense/boasted about how big they are blah blah
Celtic and Rangers are huge clubs the only two clubs that come close to them down south in terms of supporters are united and Liverpool. Sky money/oil money has obviously warped a few minds. Where people think Chelsea and City are huge clubs when in reality both the Scottish clubs have much more of a following.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Based only in some youtube videos that i watched i'm in favor to sign the kid and test our luck. But your argument about Fred and the Portuguese League is not good.

Fred had a lot of games in the Champions League against top opposition and is a Brazil international. The Portuguese League is not elite but formed dozens of top players during the history. Including the current Balon D'or winner.
Tierney has played in the champions league and international as well being a key player at international for Scotland. If a player shows potential it shouldn’t matter what league he plays in. We have had in the premiership quite a few flops and successes from all leagues. I remember Veron and Tiabi costing us a fortune back then only to be unable to command a game.