Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bristol_Red_87

If it isn't Trips, it needs to be someone...anyone?!

AWB desperately needs some competition...according to Charlie Austin :eek: :eek: :eek:

lenny_1248

Dalot playes like shit against Brentford, scores a random goal in the last minute against Everton, and suddenly Ole starts to rate him haha
More like "we could not find a buyer for Dalot and Atletico wants too much money for Trippier".

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Dalot playes like shit against Brentford, scores a random goal in the last minute against Everton, and suddenly Ole starts to rate him haha
More like "we could not find a buyer for Dalot and Atletico wants too much money for Trippier".
Seems to be rated by other clubs too.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It could be more a ploy to lower the price. Trippier hears Atletico are demanding too much and pressures them to lower.

I think it's a win-win for us. It's not a position we're desperate to fill and we can afford to play games right up to the wire. If he doesn't come, we'll be fine. If he does, great.

RedDevilQuebecois

I am not a big fan of AWB. I think his game is somehow limited and he's nowhere near in terms of talent to the 50m fee we paid for him. However if we believe in him then we should play him week in week out. That's how players improve. Adding Trippier will only strip AWB of his confidence and that precious game time need to polish any potential rough diamond.
But then the counter-argument would say that we knew what we were doing when we bought Alex Telles to put the heat on Luke Shaw before last season. Many things definitely changed for the best in Shaw's game ever since, and I don't think he would have become this good without Alex Telles to push him to that higher level. And to be honest, I'm not a fan of carrying on with Dalot when he has shown a lot of limitations of his own as well.

Avoiding complacency and pushing the kid through genuinely solid internal competition to make him earn his minutes; that is the reason why I really wanted and still want Trippier to sign for us.

Strats

We need him. Proper competition could do wonders with Wan Bissaka. Feels like he plays half arsed knowing that he'll start next game even if he makes a mistake

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
But then the counter-argument would say that we knew what we were doing when we bought Alex Telles to put the heat on Luke Shaw before last season. Many things definitely changed for the best in Shaw's game ever since, and I don't think he would have become this good without Alex Telles to push him to that higher level. And to be honest, I'm not a fan of carrying on with Dalot when he has shown a lot of limitations of his own as well.

Avoiding complacency and pushing the kid through genuinely solid internal competition to make him earn his minutes; that is the reason why I really wanted and still want Trippier to sign for us.
Anyone who had followed Alex Telles know that the guy can't defend shit. He might have been able to nudge Shaw out of his comfort zone but he was never really going to take his place unless either Shaw's performances nosedive to a ridiculous level or Telles suddenly learns how to defend. Things are different with Trippier. The guy is a regular England international something that AWB is not and he's just won La Liga. AWB is yet to win anything half decent. If Trippier comes then AWB will go on the bench.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Bringing Van Der Sar won't create a magic money tree.
is that the same non-existent money tree that the tories went on about... which suddenly appeared? And if it doesn't exist, why do other clubs have one?

And there's another reason for getting rid of Woodward:i think VdS is better at the job

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I rated Dalot for a long time until it bacame evident he will never learn how to defend. His attacking contribution is also mixed good and bad unless you get excited by occasional good cross and some useless stepovers...

Yeah but hopefully he convinced someone outside the club and just because he will never be good enough for us doesn't mean he can be good for a midtable/top half club in Italy. Unfortunately they don't have much money, so I don't see us getting more than 7-10m pounds for him. But for Trippier at his age and Atletico getting him for nothing, being old without any reselling value left in few years, with shortish contract and for us him being a potencially back up player, I can see a deal happening for around 20 million, so we could have that position sorted for 10million if we insists till the end of the window.

If the deal doesn't happen, Dalot will be a risky second choice RB and we can only hope AWB doesn't get burnt or injured, then I can see stupid 3 at the back again, with Lindelof, Telles Dalot all featuring, and that's very underwhelming...

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

The true answer is we have no idea which way it is going to. Brining in Tripper could spur AWB on like Telles did Shaw that may happen. But it could also knock his confidence there a countless exmaples of players been dropped or another playing being signed in their position and their form taking a huge nose dive ( A few examples of this: Martials form went through the floor when they brought in Zlatan and gave him his number. I don't think Hinze reacted well to the signing of Evra. Remember how Evans form dive-bombed from being pretty great for 18 months only to be dropped the moment Vidic was half fit, )

Neither you or I, or anyone else in this forum have any idea how AWB will react, and probably even Ole and AWB himself doesn't 100% know as he has never really been through that and even if the player had all the good intentions in the world but when it came to it and he had another player breathing down his neck for the place he may play havoc with his confidence as the brain is a very werid thing.

We also don't know how Tripper will fare. He will be 31 in September, there was definitely occasions in his last season at spurs when he was off the pace he is now a few years older and has to re-adpt to the premier league and play as part of a back 4, which while it is full of talent if you take AWB out of it none of them you would describe as pacey.

Plus we have to take into account trippers' age and contract demands. There are very few effective fullbacks in their mid 30's, just because of the sheer amount of ground you have to cover in the role in the modern game, so Tripper would be a very short-term signing.

Personly I think unless we got trippier on a very club friendly deal I don't think it makes good business sense, (the numbers quoted 20 million and around 100k a week for about 3 years are ridiculous for a reserve right back in his 30's) I also don't think risk of upsetting AWB a 50 million pound investment is worth it for such a short term buy.

Red Royal

The true answer is we have no idea which way it is going to. Brining in Tripper could spur AWB on like Telles did Shaw that may happen. But it could also knock his confidence there a countless exmaples of players been dropped or another playing being signed in their position and their form taking a huge nose dive ( A few examples of this: Martials form went through the floor when they brought in Zlatan and gave him his number. I don't think Hinze reacted well to the signing of Evra. Remember how Evans form dive-bombed from being pretty great for 18 months only to be dropped the moment Vidic was half fit, )

Neither you or I, or anyone else in this forum have any idea how AWB will react, and probably even Ole and AWB himself doesn't 100% know as he has never really been through that and even if the player had all the good intentions in the world but when it came to it and he had another player breathing down his neck for the place he may play havoc with his confidence as the brain is a very werid thing.

We also don't know how Tripper will fare. He will be 31 in September, there was definitely occasions in his last season at spurs when he was off the pace he is now a few years older and has to re-adpt to the premier league and play as part of a back 4, which while it is full of talent if you take AWB out of it none of them you would describe as pacey.

Plus we have to take into account trippers' age and contract demands. There are very few effective fullbacks in their mid 30's, just because of the sheer amount of ground you have to cover in the role in the modern game, so Tripper would be a very short-term signing.

Personly I think unless we got trippier on a very club friendly deal I don't think it makes good business sense, (the numbers quoted 20 million and around 100k a week for about 3 years are ridiculous for a reserve right back in his 30's) I also don't think risk of upsetting AWB a 50 million pound investment is worth it for such a short term buy.
The risk is if AWB gets a long term injury we rely on Dalot, Williams or one of the kids. I actually think Dalot can be the guy, he had a good last season and if his head is right should be willing to fight for that spot.

PeteManic

Clearly not happening. I think Ole is just going to keep all the loans at the club this year. Different strategy but I think a good move.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The risk is if AWB gets a long term injury we rely on Dalot, Williams or one of the kids. I actually think Dalot can be the guy, he had a good last season and if his head is right should be willing to fight for that spot.
Personally, I agree, I think Dalot is a solid reserve right back. Definitely a step down from AWB defensively, but how many clubs have 2 really great RB's? Unless you have unlimited wealth, which United don't particularly at the moment with our rising debt, the likely hood is you are not going 2 have 2 great players in every position. And if one of your key players gets injured it is going to affect your team.
So yes of course it would be awful if AWB gets injured, but that's football. I don't think spending 20 million and a hefty contract on a reserve Right back in their 30's is a good makes good business or personal sense when you don't truly know the effect it will have on AWB and you have Dalot & Williams on the books.

Abraxas

Personally, I agree, I think Dalot is a solid reserve right back. Definitely a step down from AWB defensively, but how many clubs have 2 really great RB's? Unless you have unlimited wealth, which United don't particularly at the moment with our rising debt, the likely hood is you are not going 2 have 2 great players in every position. And if one of your key players gets injured it is going to affect your team.
So yes of course it would be awful if AWB gets injured, but that's football. I don't think spending 20 million and a hefty contract on a reserve Right back in their 30's is a good makes good business or personal sense when you don't truly know the effect it will have on AWB and you have Dalot & Williams on the books.
I agree, this has been my thinking. People say it's only X amount as a fee. Even if we assume Madrid will sell for a reasonable sum which seems by no means guaranteed, there is everything else that goes with signing an established player.

A player that's probably a bad injury or a couple of seasons away from heading on a downward slope. RB isn't like CB either, it's going to be harder to maintain a level into mid 30s in my opinion. Not impossible but it can't just be assumed he'll be top level for his entire contract. So while people mock the idea that his age is mentioned, you can guarantee the club factor it in heavily, hence our reluctance on the fee.

In my opinion it's a botch job. AWB should be backed if his progression is deemed sufficient. If it's not I'd rather buy a long term challenger if we're shelling out. The best man wins in the long run. Trippier is a half way house, the safe option but it's rather punting the problem down the line.

RedDevilQuebecois

Can we revive this thread? Seriously, AWB still has the same glaring weaknesses and I just do not see how Dalot can push him for the job. We are obviously needing help to attack on the right wing, and our system just does not work unless we have a RB who actually contributes forward.

Just pay Atletico the money and/or sweeten the deal a little with a kid being loaned to them.

Last edited:

PoTMS

It's obvious why we want/wanted him.
Yeah, it's been clear for a while. When you have opposition managers openly speaking of targeting a particular player, you know you have a problem.

Kag

He’d be a game changer in games like today. Frustrating that we can’t pull this one off in spite of it being clear that Ole wants him in the squad.

Bwuk

He’s miles ahead of AWB as a player and I’m not sure why people ever thought he’d be back up.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s clear why we want him, the thing I want to know is why Ole needs to go in for another right back, just 2 years after buying one for 50m.

Andrew7582

It’s clear why we want him, the thing I want to know is why Ole needs to go in for another right back, just 2 years after buying one for 50m.
Trippier moved in the same window as AWB for half the price, could have just signed Trippier in the first place.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Trippier moved in the same window as AWB for half the price, could have just signed Trippier in the first place.
If we’d thrown our hat in for him Levy would have asked for twice as much, but I take your point. Ole and co actively decided AWB was the answer, and sanctioned a 50m deal. He hasn’t regressed as a player, we must’ve known this is what we were getting. So yeah I don’t get it tbh.

Andrew7582

If we’d thrown our hat in for him Levy would have asked for twice as much, but I take your point. Ole and co actively decided AWB was the answer, and sanctioned a 50m deal. He hasn’t regressed as a player, we must’ve known this is what we were getting. So yeah I don’t get it tbh.
Me neither. AWB reminds me of Smalling who was bad on the ball when he arrived and was still bad on the ball when he left 10 years later despite all those years of coaching at united. Some players are simply lacking talent in certain areas. You can't coach talent into a player, they either have it or they don't. This is the situation with AWB, he will always be below the standard you expect of a united player when it comes to technical ability. There should be an internal investigation at united into how this signing was approved at that price.

Dante

Average bang
United play a different game today than they did two seasons ago. AWB was the perfect signing back then.

He's still a good option now. But we could do with more of a playmaker at rightback for games like these.

That's the reasoning when Matic drops into defence, the two CBs split wide and the FBs push up into midfield. It kind of falls apart when one of the FBs can't pass with any tempo or creativity.

Andrew7582

United play a different game today than they did two seasons ago. AWB was the perfect signing back then.

He's still a good option now. But we could do with more more of a playmaker at rightback for games like these.

That's the reasoning when Matic drops into defence, the two CBs split wide and the FBs push up. It kind of falls apart when one of the FBs can't pass with any tempo or creativity.
Presumably Ole already knew back then what his ultimate vision for the team was in terms of playing style. So Ole sanctioned spending £50 million on a player that he knew wouldn't be fit for purpose when his ultimate vision for the team started coming together. Does he know that united doesn't have an unlimited pot of money to keep on spending on the same position?

Scholsey2004

Presumably Ole already knew back then what his ultimate vision for the team was in terms of playing style. So Ole sanctioned spending £50 million on a player that he knew wouldn't be fit for purpose when his ultimate vision for the team started coming together. Does he know that united doesn't have an unlimited pot of money to keep on spending on the same position?
You get better by incrementally looking to upgrade as the team evolves. At the time we signed AWB we were poor on the right and were trying to close off the right flank with a very strong defensive full back. Now we're significantly better on the right and we want to open it up with a full back who can play. The simple fact is that we didnt have Sancho and Greenwood back then. We do now so our circumstances have changed.

reelworld

You get better by incrementally looking to upgrade as the team evolves. At the time we signed AWB we were poor on the right and were trying to close off the right flank with a very strong defensive full back. Now we're significantly better on the right and we want to open it up with a full back who can play. The simple fact is that we didn't have Sancho and Greenwood back then. We do now so our circumstances have changed.
Also I think Ole is banking that AWB would developed the necessary skill to become more attacking fullback. And the idea is not that far fetched considering he used to be a winger before converted to fullback. Sometimes players don't developed as it should be. The bad thing is that United seems not ruthless enough to sell and change plans when the player has not develop as hoped

Silas

You get better by incrementally looking to upgrade as the team evolves. At the time we signed AWB we were poor on the right and were trying to close off the right flank with a very strong defensive full back. Now we're significantly better on the right and we want to open it up with a full back who can play. The simple fact is that we didnt have Sancho and Greenwood back then. We do now so our circumstances have changed.
That's not how you build a team. The plan was always to bring in a new RW eventually, so it's simply poor foresight from Ole and the rest. You don't splash 50m on a player you know won't suit your final plan in 2 years. You don't incrementally improve the same position, that's just a waste of money.

Digital Forward

Supports
Atlético de Madrid
Trippier is still hoping for a move. Don't be surprised if this happens. Atlético are looking at Zeki Celik as Trippier's replacement.

lsd

The Oracle
If we sign Trippier after City get Ronaldo it will surely rank as one of our most disappointing transfer deals ever.

With all due respect to Trippier the thought of us trying to act like its a great deal in the background of city rolling out the blue carpet for Ronaldo would be hard to take.

Kaos

If we sign Trippier after City get Ronaldo it will surely rank as one of our most disappointing transfer deals ever.

With all due respect to Trippier the thought of us trying to act like its a great deal in the background of city rolling out the blue carpet for Ronaldo would be hard to take.
Why? He'd improve our team and that's all matters. Feck what that smalltime oil club are doing across the road.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Thank God fans don't run clubs. Imagine this kind of reasoning.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Seriously? If we get Saul on loan and Trippier, that would be the best ever atleast in my time and I have been watching united since 2001.

diarm

We once sold peak Ronaldo and then used the money to sign Obertan, Valencia, Diouf and Michael Owen in the same window.

Lets try to hold onto a little bit of perspective here.

croadyman

We once sold peak Ronaldo and then used the money to sign Obertan, Valencia, Diouf and Michael Owen in the same window.

Lets try to hold onto a little bit of perspective here.
God yeah that was the summer Fergie tried everything to sign Benzema wasn't it but he snubbed us for Real

croadyman

Seriously? If we get Saul on loan and Trippier, that would be the best ever atleast in my time and I have been watching united since 2001.
Swap Saul for any of Neves/Camavinga/Tchouameni/Bissouma and agree with you. I only say that because feel like we need either a hybrid like the first two options or a pure DM like the last two whereas not sure what he actually is

Status
Not open for further replies.