Kim Min-jae | signed for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

Can people please stop moaning about us not recruiting him? Comparing Bayern’s absolute necessity to get a new CB and United’s opportunity to sign a new CB makes no sense.

With Pavard and Hernandez wanting to go, Bayern basically have only 2 starter CBs for a 3-man defence. Getting at least 1 CB was an absolute priority for them, so it makes perfect sense they went for him. I dare say KMJ is not even enough for Bayern and they must sign another one for them to compete across all their competitions.

KMJ for United would’ve been at best 3rd choice CB at the beginning of the season, with Lindelof and Maguire still in the team. So basically 5 CB for 2 starting spots. And we can only register 25 players for PL and CL, with at least 8 homegrown players.

Signing KMJ would’ve been nice to flatter the fans, but there are real life constraints that mean we cannot sign every player twitter links us with and has a nice youtube highlights video.
Yeah it’s true we can’t afford him, given our other needs. But let’s not pretend he’s superfluous. We have two good CBs and one of them gets injured a lot. The only decent cover we have is Shaw, our LB. If we had £50m more we should definitely have been signing this guy. I hope no-one pipes up about Lindelof being fine as cover because, first of all he isn’t fine as cover and secondly we need proper competition, not just cover.

zenith

Lindelof is just fine as cover. He is pretty good when not paired with Maguire

Zed is not dead

Yeah it’s true we can’t afford him, given our other needs. But let’s not pretend he’s superfluous. We have two good CBs and one of them gets injured a lot. The only decent cover we have is Shaw, our LB. If we had £50m more we should definitely have been signing this guy. I hope no-one pipes up about Lindelof being fine as cover because, first of all he isn’t fine as cover and secondly we need proper competition, not just cover.
I’m not saying he would’ve have been superfluous, but people comparing us with Bayern going for him when they were obliged to doesn’t make much sense.

But it was obvious we wouldn’t enter a bidding war with Bayern when he was an absolute necessity for them and not so much for us.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Lindelof has proved himself better than "fine" when not having to cover for nine-point-turn Maguire

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I’m not saying he would’ve have been superfluous, but people comparing us with Bayern going for him when they were obliged to doesn’t make much sense.

But it was obvious we wouldn’t enter a bidding war with Bayern when he was an absolute necessity for them and not so much for us.
and hopefully, it might mean Bayern can't afford Kane!

Enigma_87

You know who
Lindelof is just fine as cover. He is pretty good when not paired with Maguire
Kim min Jae looks like someone who can take over from Varane when he wanes down. He's also a quality rotational player to have given the injuries that might occur.

Also gives us an option to go 3 at the back for some games. All in all he's a right profile and at 45m EUR he's a steal in todays market.

Of course I can understand him as he'll undoubtedly be a name on the team sheet for Bayern and with Varane and Martinez we can't really promise him that straight away.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
With him and potentially Kane coming in, I have bayern as favourites for the Bundesliga

OrcaFat

He didn't so much in the second half of last season, he held his own quite well.
Maybe I’m too harsh on him but I don’t rate him. People say his failings are Maguire’s fault - imagine the uproar if the opposite was suggested.

Looks like he’s going to be around for the time being but he isn’t good enough to compete for starts, he’ll only play when Varane is out. That’s my main gripe, I think.

babablue

When we have to replace Varane in 2 years time, and end up paying 80m+ for someone with lots of question marks because we are desperate, I'm expecting the same people saying we don't need him to criticize the club for not planning ahead.

crossy1686

career ending
Maybe I’m too harsh on him but I don’t rate him. People say his failings are Maguire’s fault - imagine the uproar if the opposite was suggested.

Looks like he’s going to be around for the time being but he isn’t good enough to compete for starts, he’ll only play when Varane is out. That’s my main gripe, I think.
He's soft for sure, and he's been poor in the air. He doesn't seem to possess the desire to be a defender, like what Vidic or Heinze had where they loved a tackle more than a goal, but he's good on the ball and he was much better in the second half of the season when filling in for Varane alongside Martinez. I think with proper coaching he can be a very good defender in a team that has a systematic approach, he's always reminded me of Pique to be honest, not a great defender but a good player.

OrcaFat

He's soft for sure, and he's been poor in the air. He doesn't seem to possess the desire to be a defender, like what Vidic or Heinze had where they loved a tackle more than a goal, but he's good on the ball and he was much better in the second half of the season when filling in for Varane alongside Martinez. I think with proper coaching he can be a very good defender in a team that has a systematic approach, he's always reminded me of Pique to be honest, not a great defender but a good player.
Yeah. If he was a better defender, I’d have no problem with him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

no sane person would suggest the opposite although there were a couple of times last season when I expected him to be blamed when he wasn't even playing. For starters he actually reads the game, which Maguire doesn't seem able to do. Lindelof may never be a Jaap Stam who attack the ball every time, but he is good at sweeping up behind. ndof course he shouldn't start ahead of Varane or Martinez, unless we finally get a good enough squad to rotate

Crimson King

The first goal vs Man City FA Cup final, totally his fault, could say he was bullied.
You mean when the Norse giant Haaland won a knock down and an unmarked Gundogan lashed out in from about 25 yards?

Yeah, totally Lindelof's fault :rolleyes:

tidraKS

You mean when the Norse giant Haaland won a knock down and an unmarked Gundogan lashed out in from about 25 yards?

Yeah, totally Lindelof's fault :rolleyes:
Check closely :) It wasn't Norse giant Haaland. It was De Bruyne.

And yes, he should go with everything he has to remove the ball, it's a cup final.

crossy1686

career ending
The first goal vs Man City FA Cup final, totally his fault, could say he was bullied.
He won the header against Haaland but headed into the back of his head and it happened to bounce down right into the path of another City player. Admittedly he shouldn't have let it bounce in the first place but he still did everything right after that and won his duel. How was he bullied in that scenario?

tidraKS

He won the header against Haaland but headed into the back of his head and it happened to bounce down right into the path of another City player. Admittedly he shouldn't have let it bounce in the first place but he still did everything right after that and won his duel. How was he bullied in that scenario?
I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. Casemiro loses the battle to Haaland, then the ball drops in the direction of Lindelof/De Bruyne, and Lindelof loses the duel with De Bruyne.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. Casemiro loses the battle to Haaland, then the ball drops in the direction of Lindelof/De Bruyne, and Lindelof loses the duel with De Bruyne.
I meant De Bruyne sorry, Lindelöf win's that header but heads it into him and it happens to fall right to Gungoden's feet. That header could have gone anywhere and he won his duel, you can't ask for more than that from the position he was in.

stevoc

A back up defender will be at fault for more goals than your first choice defender. That's why they're a back-up.

OrcaFat

no sane person would suggest the opposite although there were a couple of times last season when I expected him to be blamed when he wasn't even playing. For starters he actually reads the game, which Maguire doesn't seem able to do. Lindelof may never be a Jaap Stam who attack the ball every time, but he is good at sweeping up behind. ndof course he shouldn't start ahead of Varane or Martinez, unless we finally get a good enough squad to rotate
We need players who feasibly could start ahead of Varane and Martinez if they are anything less than 100% form and fitness. Lindelof isn’t that. Rotation should happen by natural selection. When players who have been starting get jaded or drop their levels, the other players in the squad should naturally be producing a better level at that time.

Our problem for years has been the need to overplay and exhaust (to the point of injury and breakdown) our best players because unless they were physically unable to play, they were still better than their competition in the squad.

Lindelof seems to have his sympathisers and he’s not a terrible player but he just isn’t good enough for us. And you will see this - he will never be selected unless Varane is actually injured.

OrcaFat

A back up defender will be at fault for more goals than your first choice defender. That's why they're a back-up.
We should not have delegated back up players. Every player in the squad should believe he can force his way into the team on merit at least some of the time.

stevoc

We should not have delegated back up players. Every player in the squad should believe he can force his way into the team on merit at least some of the time.
Just not realistic mate. United can't afford to have 4 defenders on the same level and wages. You'd never keep them all happy.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
In theory yes. Hopefully in a couple of years we'll be in such a position. But to get there you need to buy those players who are on a similar level as your first choice players, and that costs money. For now that money can be used much better bringing our weak starting positions up to a good level. A new striker, goalkeeper and #8 were always the three vital positions to upgrade, and will all make a much bigger difference than a defender to rotate with Varane. It's why I was always dubious about the links to Kim - would have been great to have him but his availability might just have come one season too early.

OrcaFat

In theory yes. Hopefully in a couple of years we'll be in such a position. But to get there you need to buy those players who are on a similar level as your first choice players, and that costs money. For now that money can be used much better bringing our weak starting positions up to a good level. A new striker, goalkeeper and #8 were always the three vital positions to upgrade, and will all make a much bigger difference than a defender to rotate with Varane. It's why I was always dubious about the links to Kim - would have been great to have him but his availability might just have come one season too early.
Yeah, absolutely right.

OrcaFat

Just not realistic mate. United can't afford to have 4 defenders on the same level and wages. You'd never keep them all happy.
I’d settle for 3! But I’m not saying there won’t be some sort of pecking order just that the gap between the best and the rest should be small enough that the pecking order isn’t set in stone. When the best drop off a little, with fatigue or lack of motivation, it should be natural for the next guy to break into the team.

However, I agree we haven’t got money to burn and building the squad up will involve quite a bit of compromise.

RC89

When we have to replace Varane in 2 years time, and end up paying 80m+ for someone with lots of question marks because we are desperate, I'm expecting the same people saying we don't need him to criticize the club for not planning ahead.
They're saying that because we have budgetary constraints that requires us to focus on immediate need right now, not the need for two years down the line. If we had the budget to do both I doubt anyone would have a problem trying to sign KMJ now.

georgipep

For a deal to happen several conditions must be met:
1. There must be a willing seller.
2. There must be a price at which there is a willing buyer.
3. The player must agree to destination club, city, salary, package.
4. The player's management must agree with buying club.

It's not all FM squad planning.

Why would Kim join a United where he has to be 3rd choice, waiting for his time, while he is in his prime and Bayer want him?

Makes zero sense.

Care_de_Bobo

I meant De Bruyne sorry, Lindelöf win's that header but heads it into him and it happens to fall right to Gungoden's feet. That header could have gone anywhere and he won his duel, you can't ask for more than that from the position he was in.
Yeah, it's a bit of a reach to blame Lindelof for that goal, not sure what else he could have done there. I wonder whether Newcastle fans were blaming the defender who headed the ball to Rooney when he hit that volley against them in his first season at United.

Sometimes you just have to accept that a worldie will be scored against you every now and then and you don't need to find someone to blame. We have enough real examples of terrible defending at United from last season, we don't need to invent any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.