Kings of Comebacks

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Just a small thread for the stat nerds out there. Today's win of course makes this our eighth straight away victory which is very encouraging on the travel front. However the manner of today's victory also makes this the eighth time in the Premier League era that Man Utd have come back from a 2-goal deficit to win 3-2. Incredibly, of those 8 wins, only one has occurred on home soil:

v Manchester City at Maine Road (7th of November 1993)
At the home of the old enemy, Niall Quinn puts City firmly in command after putting them in front on 21 minutes and completing a brace in the 32rd. However Cantona replies with a brace of his own, getting on the end of a mis-headed back pass on 52 minutes and finishing off of the left hand post before an assist from Giggs on 78 minutes is tucked into the left corner. The turn-around is completed three minutes from time when a nice bit of interplay sees Sharpe released down the left and his cross is missed by Hughes but Keane nips in behind to tuck it into the right hand corner to give United all three points.

v Blackpool at Bloomfield Road (25th of January 2011)
Blackpool come out of the traps as a Charlie Adam corner is headed in by United old-boy Craig Cathcart on 15 minutes and extend that lead two minutes before half time when another Adams corner is head in on the left post by DJ Campbell. 2-0 down at half time, United leave it late when on 72 minutes, a through ball from Nani feeds Fletcher in and his pass is slotted in by Berbatov. The equaliser is scored two minutes later when Giggs finds Chicarito through on goal who slots neatly past Kingson. Berbatov finishes the turn-around two minutes from time to maintain United's unbeaten run.

v Aston Villa at Villa Park (10th of November 2012)
Weimann puts Villa ahead one minute into injury time in the first half from the edge of the box and grabs a second five minutes into the second half, getting on the end of an Agbonlahor cross to slot into the right hand corner. A chipped through pass from Scholes sees Hernandez get one back before a deflection off Vlaar puts it past his own keeper to put United level again. Man Utd almost pull ahead when Van Persie's shot from the edge of the box cannons off the crossbar but Hernandez completes the comeback three minutes from time, getting his head to a Van Persie free kick to take all three points.

v Hull City at KC Stadium (26th of December 2013)
The Tigers start quickly when a 4th minute corner is hammered by James Chester and they follow it up 9 minutes later when a chaotic pinball in the box falls to the feet of Meyler who doubles Hull's lead. The visitors quickly show sparks of life though when a 19th minute free kick from Rooney sees Smalling head in on the back post. United pull level 7 minutes later when Rooney volleys it into the top left corner past McGregor from the edge of the box. The win is sealed on 66 minutes when a right-hand cross sees Chester head past his own keeper.

v Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park (5th March 2018)
Andros Townsend starts the proceedings by opening Palace's account after 11 minutes, getting on a Benteke pass and sending it looping into the top right hand corner. Van Aanholt piles on the misery, comfortably slotting it into De Gea's left hand corner. Things look a little brighter though on 55 minutes when Valencia finds the head of Smalling on the edge of the box who then finds the bottom corner. 76 minutes are on the clock when a Sanchez's attempt comes back off the crossbar and falls to the feet of Lukaku who, after some initial hesitancy, knocks it in to level things up. Victory is secured a minute into injury time when a Matic screamer from the outside the box eludes a despairing Hennessy.

v Man City at Etihad Stadium (7th April 2018)
This trip to the Etihad gets off to a decidedly dodgy start when with 25 minutes played, a five minute spell sees United 2-0 down. A Kompany header from a corner puts City ahead and Gundogan makes things worse, turning Smalling cleverly and slotting it into De Gea's right hand corner. However, a second half sterling performance by Pogba puts United right back into contention, getting onto a Herrera chested pass from a Sanchez cross and slotting calmly past Ederson before a heading a Sanchez cross into the bottom left corner. Smalling completes the comeback, volleying in from a free kick to give Man Utd all three points.

v Newcastle at Old Trafford (6th October 2018)
The Red Devils once again find themselves doing things the hard way as Newcastle take an early 7th minute lead as an Ayoze Perez through ball splits the defence and Kenedy turns Young inside out before slotting past De Gea. Muto piles on the misery three minutes later, chesting down a Shelvey cross and turning on it before blasting it past De Gea again. However, United are known for pulling victories out of the fire and Mata gets things going after 70 minutes, with a delicious free kick into the right hand corner. Martial equalises 6 minutes later, racing into the middle before slamming it past Dubravka. And on the cusp of injury time, Sanchez heads an Ashley Young cross into the left hand corner to give United an unlikely win.

v Southampton at St. Mary's (29th November 2020)
Well I don't think I need to give any summaries for what happened today.

All in all, a pretty impressive array of comebacks. I also noticed that in the past decade, of our last 20 matches against Southampton, 25% of those have been 3-2 wins and all of those have been in our favour. Not much of a thread I realise, when compared to others but just thought I'd point this out. It'd be interesting to see if there's any comebacks like these in the future. Maybe I could add them to the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

SER19

Great work.

Anybody got any stats on our late goals since ole arrived? Feels like we're very much back in the late goals business

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Great work.

Anybody got any stats on our late goals since ole arrived? Feels like we're very much back in the late goals business
Thanks, it was more work than I expected it to be.:D It does seem like we're scoring a lot of late goals this season. I could look into it and post results here but it would require a bit more work.

el3mel

Coming back from 0-2 down seems like a tradition for United. I have seen it so many times and each time it's special.

Paul_Scholes18

I really remember that winter game vs Blackpool. So much injury time as well due to injuries I think.
Did keep us still unbeaten that season as well.

SinNombre

So 4 of those 8 times in the last 2 and half seasons.

This team gets a lot of abuse but in terms of resiliency, I think they are up there with the very best of Fergie's teams. We are still missing that one key player to transform this lot from inconsistent also-rans to winners (obviously Bruno has helped but remember, Carrick was the missing ingredient in 2006)

Red00012

Love that we can still do these comebacks it’s a trademark Utd thing and good that the group of players don’t give up.

DickDastardly

Great topic!

It was hilarious to see the 93' game vs City - subs - Giggs and Robson. Just the two of them ahahahaha.

Wonder what Klopp would say about that.

lysglimt

Scout
We had a lot more than those - we did it at least twice against Spurs. Once against Villa in the FA Cup

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Love that we can still do these comebacks it’s a trademark Utd thing and good that the group of players don’t give up.
I'm actually surprised there have been so few, as it's been mythologised so much. Obviously the Juve and Bayern matches and that whole season really (FA Cup against Liverpool) were the pinnacle of this, but I'd hardly call this a trademark now.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Great post. I think posts like these being made on here every once in a while is the reason we still wake up and log in to this site. Most of the time I'm not sure what I'm actually doing here.:lol:

Red00012

I'm actually surprised there have been so few, as it's been mythologised so much. Obviously the Juve and Bayern matches and that whole season really (FA Cup against Liverpool) were the pinnacle of this, but I'd hardly call this a trademark now.
So Few? They’re going back to Sheff Wed to our 1st league title in 93. I could name about 9-10 off the top of my head never mind others .

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Great work.

Thanks for all the replies folks. As far as this question is concerned, I decided to look into it to see how we stack up in terms of late goals in all competitions since Ole arrived. In order to determine how many "late" goals we have scored under Ole, we would probably need to determine what constitutes "late" i.e. how far in the match we are when the goal is scored. In my view, the established thought behind what constitutes as late is typically 80+ minutes so I will base my findings on all goals scored in the last ten minutes of a game. I must also note that I have omitted any goals scored in extra time of cup competitions as they can be seen as part of a new half of football.

We have scored a total of 167 goals in all competitions under Ole if I am correct (92 in the Premiership, 21 in the FA Cup, 14 in the EFL Cup, 15 in the Champions League and 25 in the Europa League.

Of the 92 goals scored in the Premiership, 17 goals have been scored in the last ten minutes or 18% of total Premiership goals scored.
Of the 21 goals scored in the FA Cup, 3 goals have been scored in the last ten minutes or 14% of total FA Cup goals scored.
Of the 14 goals scored in the EFL Cup, 3 goals have been scored in the last ten minutes or 21% of total EFL goals scored.
Of the 15 goals scored in the Champions League, 6 goals have been scored in the last ten minutes or 40% of total Champions League goals scored.
Of the 25 goals scored in the Europa League, 6 goals have been scored in the last ten minutes or 24% of total Europa League goals scored.

So in total, of the 167 goals scored under Ole, 32 goals have been scored in the last ten minutes or 19% of total goals scored under Ole.

Okey

Apparently it's the first time in Premier league history that a team have come back from conceding first to win 4 consecutive away games. Awesome stat. There was a point last season where once we conceded first, we were basically fecked. Some turnaround, that!

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
We had a lot more than those - we did it at least twice against Spurs. Once against Villa in the FA Cup
As another user has said, these one's specifically deal with Premier League matches, which in fairness I should have specified, but they are also matches whereby we were 2-0 down and came back to win 3-2.

Tarrou

I really remember that winter game vs Blackpool. So much injury time as well due to injuries I think.
I don't recall a team ever looking as fecked as Blackpool did in the last 20 minutes of that match

matsdf

All four away league games this seasons we've fallen behind, and and we have still won all of them.

croadyman

Just a small thread for the stat nerds out there. Today's win of course makes this our eighth straight away victory which is very encouraging on the travel front. However the manner of today's victory also makes this the eighth time in the Premier League era that Man Utd have come back from a 2-goal deficit to win 3-2. Incredibly, of those 8 wins, only one has occurred on home soil:

At the home of the old enemy, Niall Quinn puts City firmly in command after putting them in front on 21 minutes and completing a brace in the 32rd. However Cantona replies with a brace of his own, getting on the end of a mis-headed back pass on 52 minutes and finishing off of the left hand post before an assist from Giggs on 78 minutes is tucked into the left corner. The turn-around is completed three minutes from time when a nice bit of interplay sees Sharpe released down the left and his cross is missed by Hughes but Keane nips in behind to tuck it into the right hand corner to give United all three points.

Blackpool come out of the traps as a Charlie Adam corner is headed in by United old-boy Craig Cathcart on 15 minutes and extend that lead two minutes before half time when another Adams corner is head in on the left post by DJ Campbell. 2-0 down at half time, United leave it late when on 72 minutes, a through ball from Nani feeds Fletcher in and his pass is slotted in by Berbatov. The equaliser is scored two minutes later when Giggs finds Chicarito through on goal who slots neatly past Kingson. Berbatov finishes the turn-around two minutes from time to maintain United's unbeaten run.

v Aston Villa at Villa Park (10th of November 2011)
Weimann puts Villa ahead one minute into injury time in the first half from the edge of the box and grabs a second five minutes into the second half, getting on the end of an Agbonlahor cross to slot into the right hand corner. A chipped through pass from Scholes sees Hernandez get one back before a deflection off Vlaar puts it past his own keeper to put United level again. Man Utd almost pull ahead when Van Persie's shot from the edge of the box cannons off the crossbar but Hernandez completes the comeback three minutes from time, getting his head to a Van Persie free kick to take all three points.

The Tigers start quickly when a 4th minute corner is hammered by James Chester and they follow it up 9 minutes later when a chaotic pinball in the box falls to the feet of Meyler who doubles Hull's lead. The visitors quickly show sparks of life though when a 19th minute free kick from Rooney sees Smalling head in on the back post. United pull level 7 minutes later when Rooney volleys it into the top left corner past McGregor from the edge of the box. The win is sealed on 66 minutes when a right-hand cross sees Chester head past his own keeper.

Andros Townsend starts the proceedings by opening Palace's account after 11 minutes, getting on a Benteke pass and sending it looping into the top right hand corner. Van Aanholt piles on the misery, comfortably slotting it into De Gea's left hand corner. Things look a little brighter though on 55 minutes when Valencia finds the head of Smalling on the edge of the box who then finds the bottom corner. 76 minutes are on the clock when a Sanchez's attempt comes back off the crossbar and falls to the feet of Lukaku who, after some initial hesitancy, knocks it in to level things up. Victory is secured a minute into injury time when a Matic screamer from the outside the box eludes a despairing Hennessy.

This trip to the Etihad gets off to a decidedly dodgy start when with 25 minutes played, a five minute spell sees United 2-0 down. A Kompany header from a corner puts City ahead and Gundogan makes things worse, turning Smalling cleverly and slotting it into De Gea's right hand corner. However, a second half sterling performance by Pogba puts United right back into contention, getting onto a Herrera chested pass from a Sanchez cross and slotting calmly past Ederson before a heading a Sanchez cross into the bottom left corner. Smalling completes the comeback, volleying in from a free kick to give Man Utd all three points.

The Red Devils once again find themselves doing things the hard way as Newcastle take an early 7th minute lead as an Ayoze Perez through ball splits the defence and Kenedy turns Young inside out before slotting past De Gea. Muto piles on the misery three minutes later, chesting down a Shelvey cross and turning on it before blasting it past De Gea again. However, United are known for pulling victories out of the fire and Mata gets things going after 70 minutes, with a delicious free kick into the right hand corner. Martial equalises 6 minutes later, racing into the middle before slamming it past Dubravka. And on the cusp of injury time, Sanchez heads an Ashley Young cross into the left hand corner to give United an unlikely win.

All in all, a pretty impressive array of comebacks. I also noticed that in the past decade, of our last 20 matches against Southampton, 25% of those have been 3-2 wins and all of those have been in our favour. Not much of a thread I realise, when compared to others but just thought I'd point this out. It'd be interesting to see if there's any comebacks like these in the future. Maybe I could add them to the list.
Sorry to probably come across as a pedantic prat but that Villa comeback was in 2012. Always remember it as everyone went mental in the Utd end when Chich scored the third.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Sorry to probably come across as a pedantic prat but that Villa comeback was in 2012. Always remember it as everyone went mental in the Utd end when Chich scored the third.
You're absolutely right, it was November 2012 not November 2011. Thanks for pointing that out and it will be corrected accordingly.

Nickelodeon

Slightly off topic but haven’t all our away wins this season been comebacks? Brighton, Newcastle, Everton and now Southampton. There is a weird resilience in the team. It’s like they just want to prove everyone wrong. When people expect us to win comfortably, we roll over. But when the stakes are against us, somehow a way is found.

Still would put it down to Bruno though.

T_Model101

Great post, I really enjoyed reliving some of these
Such a contrast to the LVG days where we'd go 1-0 down and that would be that :lol:
I genuinely think those Mourinho comebacks were in spite of him though

lysglimt

Scout
In the spirit of comebacks - I need to mention the late Dean Richards who passed away in 2011. On february 20th 2001 he was playing for Southampton in an FA Cup Game against Tranmere. Southampton went 3-0 up at half-time with Richards scoring 1 goal. In the second half Tranmere scored 4 times including a hattrick from Paul Rideout.

Southampton-manager Hoddle is poached by Tottenham less than 2 months later and in September he goes back to his former club and signs Dean Richards. Richards makes his debut a few days later at White Hart Lane against Manchester United and scored the first goal after 16 minutes. Spurs add 2 more to go 3-0 up at half-time.

And as probably the only professional player in the world, Dean Richards twice experienced being 3-0 up at half-time to end up losing the game. And he did it in the space of 8 months while scoring in both games.

Should also give credit to Hoddle for experiencing it twice as manager

Web of Bissaka

Always love this kind of games, I think it defines "Manchester United".

Just comeback wins?
:drool: We also did a lot of comebacks draws and in the race to win the league, those 1 pts and subsequent GDs are truly high values!

Web of Bissaka

v Aston Villa at Villa Park (10th of November 2012)

Sorry, can't check on my own. Are all eight games resulted in 3-2?

Were there any other comeback win games were we are down by 2 or more goals, then we hit back with more than 3 goals?

Incredibly, of those 8 wins, only one has occurred on home soil:
Very interesting, it's like when the going gets tough in a more "hostile" atmosphere, we are more likely to stepped up!

Not sure we can include the recent one since... no fans.

Red_toad

Feckin loved that 93 team, no one bullied them and they were relentless. Leaders all over the pitch.

NFM

Thanks for all the replies folks. As far as this question is concerned, I decided to look into it to see how we stack up in terms of late goals in all competitions since Ole arrived. In order to determine how many "late" goals we have scored under Ole, we would probably need to determine what constitutes "late" i.e. how far in the match we are when the goal is scored. In my view, the established thought behind what constitutes as late is typically 80+ minutes so I will base my findings on all goals scored in the last ten minutes of a game. I must also note that I have omitted any goals scored in extra time of cup competitions as they can be seen as part of a new half of football.

We have scored a total of 167 goals in all competitions under Ole if I am correct (92 in the Premiership, 21 in the FA Cup, 14 in the EFL Cup, 15 in the Champions League and 25 in the Europa League.

Of the 92 goals scored in the Premiership, 17 goals have been scored in the last ten minutes or 18% of total Premiership goals scored.
Of the 21 goals scored in the FA Cup, 3 goals have been scored in the last ten minutes or 14% of total FA Cup goals scored.
Of the 14 goals scored in the EFL Cup, 3 goals have been scored in the last ten minutes or 21% of total EFL goals scored.
Of the 15 goals scored in the Champions League, 6 goals have been scored in the last ten minutes or 40% of total Champions League goals scored.
Of the 25 goals scored in the Europa League, 6 goals have been scored in the last ten minutes or 24% of total Europa League goals scored.

So in total, of the 167 goals scored under Ole, 32 goals have been scored in the last ten minutes or 19% of total goals scored under Ole.
So that is getting on for twice as many as you would expect if they were spread evenly across the 90 mins. That is significant statistically. Ole is getting back the 'fergie time'.

Riz

Dunno if already mentioned but what stands out for me in those recaps is the involvement of a certain Chris Smalling. :lol:

Scored the first vs Blackpool, Hull and Palace and then the winner vs City. Pretty incredible contribution from a centre back.

Edit: I also remember him coming on as a first half sub vs Burnley a few years ago when we were 1-0 down and scoring 2. Think at the time he was the first player in PL history to score 2 goals in the first half as a substitute, record might still stand.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So Few? They’re going back to Sheff Wed to our 1st league title in 93. I could name about 9-10 off the top of my head never mind others .
I misread the thread - didn't know it was exclusively 3-2 results in the league.

Thaila-X

Comebacks and late goals are and always will be my absolute favourite. That game against City in 2018 was one of the best I've seen in person, as soon as we got a goal back I just got a sense that we would win it. Always feels good beating them but doing it from 2 goals down and in game where they could have sealed the title felt even better. As for yesterday, I don't know why as I hardly ever bet on football, especially not United, but I backed us to win at half time, 11/1 with bet365. That's Christmas paid for!

Web of Bissaka

Dunno if already mentioned but what stands out for me in those recaps is the involvement of a certain Chris Smalling. :lol:

Scored the first vs Blackpool, Hull and Palace and then the winner vs City. Pretty incredible contribution from a centre back.

Edit: I also remember him coming on as a first half sub vs Burnley a few years ago when we were 1-0 down and scoring 2. Think at the time he was the first player in PL history to score 2 goals in the first half as a substitute, record might still stand.
Yeap.
Part of the reason why I prefer if we keep him. He can be a very good squad player and impact sub. Especially if we decide to close up games to defend lead by parking the bus/improve our defenses and to get comebacks.

I remember I did a thread or posts in a thread before (but can't remember where) in counting how many of our players scored and assisted in comeback games (wins and draws). :eek:Unexpectedly Smalling is among the highest on the list.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Coming back from 0-2 down seems like a tradition for United. I have seen it so many times and each time it's special.
Every bit as much of a tradition as winning trophies I guess. That's part of what made us feared in the past in that even if you were beating us, there was that voice in the back of your head telling you that we were going to turn things around eventually anyway. It must be pretty disheartening facing a side you almost know is going to beat you regardless of how quick off the blocks you are.

Unfortunately our luck with remaining unbeaten did run out in the end though I can't remember to who. I do remember thinking though that it was a strange run where many times we didn't exactly look imperious and struggled to get results. Wasn't also when we had a whole load of draws as well?

Ah it’s always a joy, but a feckin rollercoaster too.
It's a rollercoaster and a blaring heart attack too that's steadily shortening my life span by decades.

So 4 of those 8 times in the last 2 and half seasons.

This team gets a lot of abuse but in terms of resiliency, I think they are up there with the very best of Fergie's teams. We are still missing that one key player to transform this lot from inconsistent also-rans to winners (obviously Bruno has helped but remember, Carrick was the missing ingredient in 2006)
I do feel uneasy with the consistency of this team and feel that more dropped points are going to cost us later on this season but we have shown a massive resiliency that seemed to be missing under previous managers. Of course I'd feel more comfortable if we were properly taking charge of games but it's good to know that we also have game-changers for these particular situations.

Definitely a trademark of this club that seems to be returning in the last few years but hopefully we won't need as many comebacks as routine wins. Exciting yes but by God does it give me stress.

Great topic!

It was hilarious to see the 93' game vs City - subs - Giggs and Robson. Just the two of them ahahahaha.

Wonder what Klopp would say about that.
Thanks, it was weird too watching how slower the pace of the game seemed too and how much more space players had. Man can Giggs whip a ball in.

Maybe comebacks from two down aren't as trademark but we still make a good habit of retrieving results when chasing games. I like that we now have players who can actually a difference from the bench,

Great post. I think posts like these being made on here every once in a while is the reason we still wake up and log in to this site. Most of the time I'm not sure what I'm actually doing here.:lol:
I know that things can seem a bit gloomy here, especially with the constant ups and downs we've been having and people are still having tentative about how much this team can achieve under this current administration but it's good to look at other particular facets of our game that provide interesting insight. I came up with this initially after wondering to myself how often we came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2. I was actually kind of surprised that there wasn't more as I thought there was a few more of those results for whatever reason.

Thanks for posting this pal, very cool
Thanks, just thought it was an interesting tidbit that others may have missed.

United 5-2 Tottenham

Tevez coming off the bench at half time to inspire a fight back. What a game that was.
Was that the one where Nani was roundly condemned for taking the ball off Gomez who thought he had a free kick and putting it into the net after the ref told him to play away? That was a gas game.

All four away league games this seasons we've fallen behind, and and we have still won all of them.
That's great in one sense in that it shows a will to win despite the odds but it's also concerning that we've gone behind in those games in the first place. Hopefully something we improve as the season goes on.

The Olympiakos, PSG game if they count too.
Well those were more games that were won in that regard over two legs whereas this thread deals with 3-2 wins in one game where we went behind.

Slightly off topic but haven’t all our away wins this season been comebacks? Brighton, Newcastle, Everton and now Southampton. There is a weird resilience in the team. It’s like they just want to prove everyone wrong. When people expect us to win comfortably, we roll over. But when the stakes are against us, somehow a way is found.

Still would put it down to Bruno though.
Yes, I have come to notice people saying that and it's great that the team has the ability to turn potential defeats into victories. Having a much stronger bench also helps loads as does having a confident squad with a renewed belief in its own abilities. But of course I'd like to see less comebacks and more straight forward victories. Bruno has been a big factor in our vast improvement to be sure but it would nice to see other midfielders with similar abilities to share the workload sothat Bruno doesn't have to do it all himself and that we aren't fecked if he's injured. Good signs though.

Great post, I really enjoyed reliving some of these
Such a contrast to the LVG days where we'd go 1-0 down and that would be that :lol:
I genuinely think those Mourinho comebacks were in spite of him though
Thanks, glad you enjoyed reading it. You know, I was just thinking how going behind with LVG seemed to put a rubber stamp on the result as the style of football we played just wasn't conducive to comebacks when teams knew they could sit and pick us off with ease when we had no clue what to do. Jose was less like I reckon but it was still and issue. Though I am surprised to see that three of those matches in that list came under his reign.

I need to say: what a wonderful piece of pass did Giggs for the assist to Cantona for the equalizer in the first vid
Yeah, there's lots of things that you can miss to the ravages of time so it was to see that again.

In the spirit of comebacks - I need to mention the late Dean Richards who passed away in 2011. On february 20th 2001 he was playing for Southampton in an FA Cup Game against Tranmere. Southampton went 3-0 up at half-time with Richards scoring 1 goal. In the second half Tranmere scored 4 times including a hattrick from Paul Rideout.

Southampton-manager Hoddle is poached by Tottenham less than 2 months later and in September he goes back to his former club and signs Dean Richards. Richards makes his debut a few days later at White Hart Lane against Manchester United and scored the first goal after 16 minutes. Spurs add 2 more to go 3-0 up at half-time.

And as probably the only professional player in the world, Dean Richards twice experienced being 3-0 up at half-time to end up losing the game. And he did it in the space of 8 months while scoring in both games.

Should also give credit to Hoddle for experiencing it twice as manager
You know, reading reminds me of that unfortunate I saw yesterday for Jan Bednarek where each time he has scored when Southampton led 2-0, they then went on to lose 3-2. Three times it happened. Absolutely cursed.:lol:

Always love this kind of games, I think it defines "Manchester United".

Just comeback wins?
:drool: We also did a lot of comebacks draws and in the race to win the league, those 1 pts and subsequent GDs are truly high values!

Sorry, can't check on my own. Are all eight games resulted in 3-2?

Were there any other comeback win games were we are down by 2 or more goals, then we hit back with more than 3 goals?

Very interesting, it's like when the going gets tough in a more "hostile" atmosphere, we are more likely to stepped up!

Not sure we can include the recent one since... no fans.
We did have a lot of comebacks that resulted in vital draws but my goodness the work that would have to go into highlighting every one of them.:lol:

But yes, each of the games I highlighted were ones where, like yesterday, we initially went 2-0 down before coming back to win 3-2. My guess with the away games v home games is that we were always more ruthless at home and never really found ourselves in a situation where we had to pull back a two-goal deficit. Of course over the past few years that seems to have changed somewhat so hopefully we can rectify that and turn Old Trafford into a fortress again.

Feckin loved that 93 team, no one bullied them and they were relentless. Leaders all over the pitch.
I know what you mean man, players like Keane, Robson, Cantona, Pallister, Bruce to name but a few. The great thing was they were talented players but were also hard bastards who were up for a scrap if it came to it and so never backed down when thing got rough. Of course it probably helped that refs weren't as strict back then so players could get away with a lot more physicality.

Yeah it's strange but it could be to do with the fact that if you're chasing a result and you get a set piece, you'll push your center backs up further and Smalling is as tall as anyone so he's probably more likely to score in those do-or-die situations.

Strange to limit it only to games we won 3-2. I wonder how many more games come in if it's all wins from a 2 goal deficit? Obviously the two Spurs games most famously (if both happened in the league) but there may be others.
I limited it to those games in light of yesterday's result. I took yesterdays result and just wanted to highlight other matches where the same situation played out with the same result.

Comebacks and late goals are and always will be my absolute favourite. That game against City in 2018 was one of the best I've seen in person, as soon as we got a goal back I just got a sense that we would win it. Always feels good beating them but doing it from 2 goals down and in game where they could have sealed the title felt even better. As for yesterday, I don't know why as I hardly ever bet on football, especially not United, but I backed us to win at half time, 11/1 with bet365. That's Christmas paid for!
That City game was especially great because we weren't expected to win and it was supposed to be the coronation of their title victory, in their own ground against their big rivals. It was so perfectly setup, even going in 2-0 up at half time. So for us to go and actually spoil the party the way we did was delicious. I was positively beaming that day. As for your bet, congrats! Let's face it, if you have excess money that you're doing nothing with and you've got big odds, might as well piss it away for a laugh.

Yeap.
Part of the reason why I prefer if we keep him. He can be a very good squad player and impact sub. Especially if we decide to close up games to defend lead by parking the bus/improve our defenses and to get comebacks.

I remember I did a thread or posts in a thread before (but can't remember where) in counting how many of our players scored and assisted in comeback games (wins and draws). :eek:Unexpectedly Smalling is among the highest on the list.
I would be in favour of keeping him as a squad player alright but we really need to trim the backline and I would bring in another CB anyway. Having a sizeable defence is at least useful.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Well since I last made this thread (quite a while ago I might add) we have now had two victories that have been snatched from the jaws of defeat. Earlier we had us turning a 2-0 deficit at Old Trafford into a 3-2 victory against Forest and tonight has added another comeback victory. It's astounding that even in the midst of what has arguably been an abysmal campaign so far, we have still managed to pull out extraordinary comebacks from nowhere. This result tonight makes it an even 10 matches that have seen us turn a 2-0 defeat into an incredible 3-2 win.

Last edited: