Klopp post-match meltdown

Comet49

Just imagine if Alec Ferguson had ranted on like that on TV and had ran on the pitch like I think Klopp did last season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It`s also from a year ago or so.
Indeed it is. My point is that this interview and behaviour is worse than the one that prompted this "meltdown' thread. I don't think yesterday's was particularly bad as he at least had some valid points. He was just in a ratty mood with the journalist who (rightly) stood his ground.

Eriku

Interviewer comes across very unprofessional to me, harping on and on, talking over Klopp’s answers, getting loud and frustrated.

izzydiggler

I thought it was a good interview...a proper discussion, rather than soundbytes. Interesting to watch.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It’s certainly interesting that Liverpool has been hit so hard by injuries considering both United and City had a far worse preparation ahead of the season with almost no rest + pre-season.

Fully agree that the last years high intensity football with the same starting lineup and almost no injuries are finally taking it’s toll. I remember someone linking an article here during the summer stating it would be impossible for Liverpool to perform at the high intensity levels for yet another year. Quite interesting considering where they are now with all injuries.
They had an opportunity to spend, and given that they're champions, I'm sure payers would have been chomping at the bit to sign. I was really shocked at the lack of at least one marquee signing

Inigo Montoya

Interviewer comes across very unprofessional to me, harping on and on, talking over Klopp’s answers, getting loud and frustrated.
Interviewers these days don't pay lip service to managers and players. It's a different media world we live in now.

Besides to be fair to him, the sarcasm was unwarranted and undignified. I welcome a pop at broadcasters in general on a variety of topics but on this occasion, Klopp was an idiot and the interviewer was right to challenge that

Eriku

Interviewers these days don't pay lip service to managers and players. It's a different media world we live in now.

Besides to be fair to him, the sarcasm was unwarranted and undignified. I welcome a pop at broadcasters in general on a variety of topics but on this occasion, Klopp was an idiot and the interviewer was right to challenge that
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind people holding their feet to the fire and scrutinising their answers, I just thought the interviewer could have come across less combative and wound up.

You could say the same for Klopp, of course, but he’s not supposed to be a disinterested representative for the broadcasters.

Sara125

Not really seeing where the ‘meltdown’ is. If anything it was the interviewer who was more aggy.

DoomSlayer

I know we are supposed to hate everything about Liverpool, but I see nothing wrong with Klopp's reactions. We used to love it when Sir Alex was doing everything possible to defend our club's position and interests.

Inigo Montoya

Not really seeing where the ‘meltdown’ is. If anything it was the interviewer who was more aggy.
It's not a meltdown but an unnecessary response to a perfectly legit question. 'Milner, is it a hamstring?' ' Congratulations'....feck me, if someone spoke to you at work like that, you'd come back with an irritable response. He then blames broadcasters for the fixture times. BT/Sky and BBC don't dictate what times matches start. The beef from more measured responses (Ole and Frank) lay the blame at the PL, which is the truth. The interviewer had a right to take him to task over it

marf

We're not complaining too loudly at our injuries, they happen. We've had plenty before (Alisson, Salah, Matip, Hendo, Gomez, etc) but it went unnoticed because we were always winning.

This season it's the usual suspects again (Gomez, Matip, Shaq, Keita) but if in that one game Everton players behaved like human beings and not feral animals Thiago and VvD would have seen us confidently beating Brighton 3-0. Neither player had any problems with fatigue or soft muscle issues. Just outright thuggery set us back.

So this is where we are. I'm confident Klopp will a) sort it out as TAA, Thiago and Hendo look like returning and b) will make an astute signing again in January that will have Redcafe melting down as number 20 approaches. :)
Just the fact that you go in to this season with three first team CBs whereof two you mention as your most injury prone players is quite telling i guess. Either I can’t really accept that you think you have had injury problems previously or that squad planning is an absolute disaster.

Yes agreed. Injury problems or not it would really surprise me if you don’t win the league considering City didn’t get any rest this summer and no pre-season while Chelsea probably need some time to get all their new signings to fit together

Slevs

likes to play with penises
He's such a prick. Even before the 12:30 thing he's being a dick to the reporter.

RUCK4444

I think he’s sick of Klopp giving interviewers a hard time, especially when you consider they are the media darlings and get nothing but an easy ride and arse kissing from the press and broadcasters.

Inigo Montoya

I know we are supposed to hate everything about Liverpool, but I see nothing wrong with Klopp's reactions. We used to love it when Sir Alex was doing everything possible to defend our club's position and interests.
The difference was, he vetted the questions prior to the interview. He'd tell them which one he was answering and which one he wasn't, far more clever.
He once launched into Gary Newbon who asked him a question which wasn't on the list. Called him a cnut and lots more :lol:

Don't think Newbon ever did that again

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Did you miss the amount of times that Klopp was sarcastic towards the interviewer? He was being a sarcy smart arse.

big rons sovereign

@Dumbstar this is the article I was referring to earlier. Not sure about the validity but nevertheless interesting!
There's an interview with howson on YouTube which is probably more accessible. Makes a lot of sense, especially when you see how Dortmund dropped off so dramatically under klopp.

Eriku

Did you miss the amount of times that Klopp was sarcastic towards the interviewer? He was being a sarcy smart arse.
Did you miss me saying that Klopp didn’t handle it well either? But he’s biased and invested in his team, the interviewer is supposed to be a neutral party.

black country red

Don’t need to be an English teacher to wince at the lack of punctuation and what have you in that paragraph, to be fair :lol:
To be fair an afternoon and early evening on the Stella and jack is my excuse what’s yours because I can’t make head nor tit of that reply up the reds

Eriku

To be fair an afternoon and early evening on the Stella and jack is my excuse what’s yours because I can’t make head nor tit of that reply up the reds
Really? I’d take that up with whoever taught you English.

Baffling that you couldn’t understand what I wrote and yet responded appropriately to what I said... well, sort of, at least.

DavidDeSchmikes

They’re all at it including the club captain. The BBC has picked up on it too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55116311

The victim mentality never ceases to amaze me. Even though the article states Everton have been worse done by than them.

He’d have a valid point if it was only Liverpool being screwed over but it’s not the case. He needs to pipe down and get on with the season which is being played in unique circumstances.
Klopp in his interview said all the decisions were correct.

No doubt Milner will fall back in love with football once a VAR decision benefits Liverpool

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
There's an interview with howson on YouTube which is probably more accessible. Makes a lot of sense, especially when you see how Dortmund dropped off so dramatically under klopp.
Which is fair but I've heard at least four German fans on here that have said that's mostly crap. And most of them are Bayern fans (rivals). As for the caffeine article, that's just ramblings from OANN or Newsmax right?

big rons sovereign

Which is fair but I've heard at least four German fans on here that have said that's mostly crap. And most of them are Bayern fans (rivals). As for the caffeine article, that's just ramblings from OANN or Newsmax right?
No idea, I've not looked that deeply into it. Just thought it was an interesting article.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Yeah he had that insufferable narky wronged tone throughout. Klopp gave him the benefit of a long response, albeit a sputtering one. Personally can't stand it when journalists get defensive on behalf of their profession if they feel it's been slighted. Smacks of paranoia and retroactive justification, as well as projecting self importance for their inessential nosey prissy job, which involves getting up, going to ths match, and sticking a microphone up a manager's nose. Kelly will be dining out on back slaps from his tabloid chums. On the other hand Klopp has had a bit of a mare, that won't cost me sleep.
Wonderfully put post, I enjoyed reading it very much, thanks for that.
And on point, I can't stand it either. Acting as if they're some Mexican drug war jounalist with a target on their back, sacrificing themselves for the ideal of speaking truth to power, when they're trying provoke exhausted athletes or coaches after a game of sports.

Judas

Open to offers
There's no such thing as rival German fans on here, they all stick together, no matter who they support, they seemingly just want to put everything about German football in a positive light.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
For the last 2 years Klopp has been playing the same front 3 and same back 4 every week in the EPL and Europe. He only rotates his midfield and he's been very fortunate (until now) to not have to deal with injuries. Now all of a sudden injuries are catching up with him and he's trying to blame too many games for the injuries? I've got news for you Mr Klopp. The schedule is no different from last year. In fact, it's one game less

-----------------2018-------------------2020
Sept---------5 games-------------5 games
Oct----------6 games-------------7 games
Nov---------6 games-------------5 games
Dec--------9 games--------------8 games
Total-------26 games-----------25 games

With that being said, seeing as Klopp is so concerned about getting 5 subs per game to help keep players fit, that would mean that he is using all of his subs in every game right? Well....No. Against City he only used 2 of 3 subs and against Ajax he only used 3 of 5 subs. So if in these games he didn't use all his subs, then why is he complaining? So what are the games that he did use all his subs? Liverpool made it 5-0 against Atalatna in the 54th minute yet he still waited until the 65th minute to make 3 subs, and then the 82nd minute to make 2 more. You would think that if he is so concerned about all the games he would make his 5 subs earlier. Also, in that game at 5-0 up he brought on Firmino and Keita. Meanwhile Origi, Shaquiri and Minamino stayed on the bench. Again, if he is so worried about his first team players being injured, then why is he bringing them on in a 5-0 game? Perhaps I would have a little more sympathy for him if he showed he knows how to rotate his squad and if he used all the subs he has available to him. Funny thing is, I actually support the 5 subs. I just don't support Klopp's whinging...

Darth Revan

For the last 2 years Klopp has been playing the same front 3 and same back 4 every week in the EPL and Europe. He only rotates his midfield and he's been very fortunate (until now) to not have to deal with injuries. Now all of a sudden injuries are catching up with him and he's trying to blame too many games for the injuries? I've got news for you Mr Klopp. The schedule is no different from last year. In fact, it's one game less

With that being said, seeing as Klopp is so concerned about getting 5 subs per game to help keep players fit, that would mean that he is using all of his subs in every game right? Well....No. Against City he only used 2 of 3 subs and against Ajax he only used 3 of 5 subs. So if in these games he didn't use all his subs, then why is he complaining? So what are the games that he did use all his subs? Liverpool made it 5-0 against Atalatna in the 54th minute yet he still waited until the 65th minute to make 3 subs, and then the 82nd minute to make 2 more. You would think that if he is so concerned about all the games he would make his 5 subs earlier. Also, in that game at 5-0 up he brought on Firmino and Keita. Meanwhile Origi, Shaquiri and Minamino stayed on the bench. Again, if he is so worried about his first team players being injured, then why is he bringing them on in a 5-0 game? Perhaps I would have a little more sympathy for him if he showed he knows how to rotate his squad and if he used all the subs he has available to him. Funny thing is, I actually support the 5 subs. I just don't support Klopp's whinging...
So klopp uses all the subs, like you said he should, and someone gets injured afterwards what then, risk playing with 10 man?

izec

Top managers whinge, Fergie did it all the time. It doesn't necessarily mean it is correct what he is saying, but he still does it. The injuries are piling up and he is looking for Liverpool getting a more competitive advantage by having less early fixtures and more subs if needed. He brings it out there, that Liverpool have a disadvantage and are struggling etc, that is the point. If it is true or not doesn't matter, but if it can help, he will whinge every week if he has to. Jose and Pep are not that much different, the delivery may be different and maybe less excessive, but the moaning and whinging is strong as well about pretty much anything they can find.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Top managers whinge, Fergie did it all the time. It doesn't necessarily mean it is correct what he is saying, but he still does it. The injuries are piling up and he is looking for Liverpool getting a more competitive advantage by having less early fixtures and more subs if needed. He brings it out there, that Liverpool have a disadvantage and are struggling etc, that is the point. If it is true or not doesn't matter, but if it can help, he will whinge every week if he has to. Jose and Pep are not that much different, the delivery may be different and maybe less excessive, but the moaning and whinging is strong as well about pretty much anything they can find.
No doubt they all whine. The thing is, I actually support the idea of 5 subs. I just think that if he wants people to take him seriously then perhaps he should use all his subs that he currently has. Saying he needs 5 subs to keep his squad healthy but then using less subs than are currently available to him makes his argument null and void. If he had been using all his subs available then his argument would hold more weight...

Ludens the Red

So all this ranting about fixtures and subs and Klopp in literally the most pointless game of the season sends out a team tonight including Fabinho, Salah and Jota. the Fabinho inclusion in particular is batshit.

I don’t really understand Klopp and Pep.
They bitch and complain about five subs/fixtures but do things like make zero or no subs in games. Play overly strong teams in the CL even though they’ve already won their group.

This is why people won’t take their whining seriously. Seems to only be an issue after a game in which they don’t win.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
So all this ranting about fixtures and subs and Klopp in literally the most pointless game of the season sends out a team tonight including Fabinho, Salah and Jota. the Fabinho inclusion in particular is batshit.

I don’t really understand Klopp and Pep.
They bitch and complain about five subs/fixtures but do things like make zero or no subs in games. Play overly strong teams in the CL even though they’ve already won their group.

This is why people won’t take their whining seriously. Seems to only be an issue after a game in which they don’t win.
You've not been paying attention if you believe that, Klopp has been banging the same drum after every game, win or lose. If he only mentioned it after a non-winning game it wouldn't even have come up that much ;)

Maybe tonight's choices are to keep the "integrity of the game" or something, I dunno. I do agree that it's strange. Nat Philips isn't available in the CL so I wouldn't even know who we'd play at CB instead of Fabinho to begin with.