g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Kobbie Mainoo image 37

Kobbie Mainoo England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

pascell

I don't think we'll see him this weekend, I think he's probably further behind in his recovery than people think, the fact we pulled him out of the behind closed doors friendly suggests this too.

Glorio

I don't think we'll see him this weekend, I think he's probably further behind in his recovery than people think, the fact we pulled him out of the behind closed doors friendly suggests this too.
That was 10 days ago though, and he's been in training since then

Ekeke

I think he's a top talent who has everything to play in midfield. What he needs is experience and to stay injury free when he returns so he can work on proving consistency at mens football level. We've seen he can do it already in preseason but thats just a couple of games and before his momentum was cut with the injury.

For me he's one of those players that you just want on the pitch at this point, because he may have a slightly worse game than a McTom or Amrabat etc, but if he has a decent game or a good game you come out way ahead because he's got so much more potential than those players. He could be as good as anyone we've had in our midfield. Its just about giving him the chances and time to come through the rough spells that might come along the way.

I think Elanga is a good example. When he first came into the first team he looked a threat, he got a few goals and goal involvments and had some end product that if he could keep it up or improve on it he could be a good player. However those involvements dried up and when theres little end product even when he was making a good run and being found it wasnt as much of a threat, in the end his product was poor in his final season here. But he got the time to show what he could do. He came in and he made an impact so we had some belief in him and then with that credit he got chances for a good amount of time before he was moved on. And now with a change of scenery maybe he kicks on and becomes a good player but he had his chances here and he simply wasnt ready to take them as a young player. Some players only come into their own at 25-27 so maybe years down the line he will be good enough. But it wasnt to be as a young player at United.

Thats what I want to see with Mainoo and at least some or half of it with Hannibal. Give them the chances to show over time, with runs of games and playing with the starting teammates that they arent going to be good enough as a young player to be competing or starting midfielders in their earliest 20s. If they dont do that well for 3 or 4 games then its not much different from our starting midfielders other than Casemiro and if you want to include him Bruno, but he is usually deployed in an attack role.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
When Bellingham can do so well at Real Madrid this season, I don’t see why Mainoo couldn’t do the same for us.
You think Mainoo is one of the best midfielders in the world?

YikesSchmeics

Just keep Casemiro away from him. Cannot believe how many games he missed because of a stupid push.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
People seem to be setting him up to fall. The lad has talent but let's actually let him play some football before comparing him to Bellingham or even comparing against our current Midfielders.

CallyRed

Fully expect at least an 8/10 performance rating from him in every start

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You think Mainoo is one of the best midfielders in the world?
From what I have seen, could be. There are signs he could become really top midfielder in the game, and I don’t say that often to other youngsters. But I mean it could also go different ways than I thought too, we will have to see.

But I am totally confident on him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe he won't. He probably won't.

What is your point in this?
It’s a matter of faith on the player. It’s ok if people want to down play him abit, it’s a safer option to do so, and putting less pressure on youngster and let him to have time develop, which is not a bad thing.

But I don’t think Mainoo would need that, he is that special. Just like Bellingham who was basically a nobody 3 years back, playing in Championship, now he is considered best in the game.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
A brace and MOTM from him this weekend and then we can see how he progresses from there.

Eric_the_Red99

Enough of these low performances, we need straight 10/10s, especially from the very young and inexperienced players
Is it too early to start talking about a potential Ballon d’Or this season? I don’t think it is…

DanClancy

From what I have seen, could be. There are signs he could become really top midfielder in the game, and I don’t say that often to other youngsters. But I mean it could also go different ways than I thought too, we will have to see.

But I am totally confident on him.
You're delusional, nothing you've seen can suggest that as he's only played one premier league game.

poleglass red

I don't think anyone expects him to be our saviour. Our defence right now is poor, you can cite injuries, poor keeper, lack of pace, all that, but they've no protection from midfield as well. No current mid we have tracks runners, we've seen the likes of McT, Eriksen and Casemiro casually stroll back time and time again while the opposition mids pour forward. At the very least Mainoo will try and put in some tackles, offer a physical presence. These days McT and Casemiro in particular think being physical is conceding free kicks in dangerous area, it isn't, being physical is winning back possession, sadly something neither does these days. Will he fix all our problems- no, but he can help alleviate some.

Remember the geese

You're delusional, nothing you've seen can suggest that as he's only played one premier league game.
Sometimes you can just see it with a young player though. Like when watching Pogba in the academy at 16 you knew he was special. The talent is there already, it's everything else that is unknown.

Borninthe80ts

Expecting a talent to come in and solve our problems is indicative of how far we have fallen as a club. Less than 8 years ago when Martial lit up Old Trafford on his Debut or when Rashford burst through, nobody saw them as "saviours" or even "missing pieces". They were just exceptional talents who we hoped were going to reach the very top.
Now every one of our highly rated youngsters is supposed to come in and immediately lift the collective level of the team. It's one of the reasons talent barely thrives at our club.
This is what I mean though, I don’t think nobody is expecting Mainoo to be a saviour, nor should giving a chance to a good player prove we are a poor club. When other gifted 16 to 18 year old got game time at top clubs, was this the case too? No one player can get us back on track, and I too see Kobe as Martial or Rashford coming through. Nobody was calling for Martial to be benched after scoring against the Poo.

I literally said in my post while I can see talent in a lot of youngsters in our academy there’s some I don’t think will make it. Or be saviours or world class or even professionals. I have no expectations merely hope.

We are a team associated with giving young players a chance and celebrating and getting excited over a player breaking through. To me its that rather than anything. The manager will know if his ready.

zaafi

The same Paul Pogba who made his PL debut one month before his 19th birthday? A year older than Mainoo is now?
Pogba should have been given his debut sooner, as it was clear to everyone he was a special talent. Unfortunately for us, his work rate and mindset wasn't exactly top level.

hobbers

Still think our best midfield pairing this season will end up being Amrabat and Mainoo.

Mickson

Just keep Casemiro away from him. Cannot believe how many games he missed because of a stupid push.
Yep, and that was the first evidence of his decline.

Pogba should have been given his debut sooner, as it was clear to everyone he was a special talent. Unfortunately for us, his work rate and mindset wasn't exactly top level.
Fergie made a huge error that game, playing Park and Rafael as CM. Also this resulted in Pogba leaving the club, so it was bad for several reasons.

Borninthe80ts

The people mocking and disparaging comparisons to Bellingham should go back to the Jude forum. It wasn’t but 6 months ago that it felt a good few people were doubting his talent. Saying they don’t see it. Now his the best in the world! How things change quickly…

Progression can be rapid. Apart from the saviour line, can people state genuine reasons why they wouldn’t want to play him when fit?