Squad Number: #73
Height: 175cm
Position: Midfield - Central Midfield
Foot: Right
Contract Expires: Jun 30, 2027
Contract option: Club Option 1 year
Date of last contract extension: Feb 9, 2023​

Trex

I think ETH likes him, I hope he gets the spot behind Bruno, Mount, Eriksen for that dual 8/10 role. We'll need to clear out Dvb and Fred.

AnotherLondonManc

Hopefully gets a good loan this season. Clearly has the technical ability/potential but needs to develop the physical side of his game.

I don't imagine he'll get much first team action with us, and I'd like to see him kick on this year

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Seemed like he barely played football last year, wasted year in his development.

Wonder what the comments are based off that he should develop the physical side of his game?

The main thing for me seems that we need to have him keep momentum, motivation and hunger in his game.

He can already come in and play the game very calm, cool and collected. He's a beast and very skillful, but that will never be enough. He will need to impact games with his quality and talent.

At whichever level that may be.

Crimson King

Seemed like he barely played football last year, wasted year in his development.

Wonder what the comments are based off that he should develop the physical side of his game?

The main thing for me seems that we need to have him keep momentum, motivation and hunger in his game.

He can already come in and play the game very calm, cool and collected. He's a beast and very skillful, but that will never be enough. He will need to impact games with his quality and talent.

At whichever level that may be.
He only turned 18 in April, he was way too young to go out on loan somewhere.

I actually think he'll be part of the squad this year and be slowly introduced. This season's Garnacho maybe. I'm not sure a loan would be the best thing for a talent like Mainoo, best to keep him in house and mould him into what the manager wants from a midfielder.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He only turned 18 in April, he was way too young to go out on loan somewhere.

I actually think he'll be part of the squad this year and be slowly introduced. This season's Garnacho maybe. I'm not sure a loan would be the best thing for a talent like Mainoo, best to keep him in house and mould him into what the manager wants from a midfielder.
Then have him play in the U23 for the season if not used in the first team.

He was kept in the middle of both, which I doubt helps. Little rhythm and no form. Keep him as a good option for the squad, for the U23 or send him on loan.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

He was kept in the middle of both, which I doubt helps. Little rhythm and no form. Keep him as a good option for the squad, for the U23 or send him on loan.
He did. He only missed about 5 u21s matches due to being with the first team, in which time he made 3 appearances. He wasn’t kept in the middle of both for any significant time.

Crimson King

At that age, training week in and week out and being part of match days was likely more beneficial than playing in the U23s. That whole thing is a bit of a mess anyway, might not be so bad after the new revamp though I guess.

Going out on loan might happen but I don't think the club would see it as beneficial, especially as he's still so young. It's more likely he'll stay with the squad this season.

I dunno, just have a feeling they have a plan for him and that doesn't involve putting his development in the hands of another club, who will have very little investment in his long term future at the end of the day.

GueRed

At the moment Mainoo has Casimero, Bruno and Mount who are starters, Eriksen, McTominay, Fred, van de Beek in front of him.

A loan deal might be best suited next.

It all depends how high up he is in ten Hag's midfield pecking order really and if he thinks he's ready.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He did. He only missed about 5 u21s matches due to being with the first team, in which time he made 3 appearances. He wasn’t kept in the middle of both for any significant time.
Don't think this is true. Even if he doesn't make our match day squad, he may miss out on the U23 game.

He played a total of 990 minutes in the PL2, worthy of about 11 full games.

He played 2 full matches from January for the reserve team, that is literally nothing. The reserves don't play as often as the first team does, but he missed many games and barely had a look in for the first team.

He played one game for the u18's at the start of the season.

Can't find any injury on Transfermarkt but he started the season playing in U23 it seems, was promoted to the first team and then barely played football from January going on. Was on the bench a few times, out of the squad more times, and got some single sub-ins during the FA Cup and Carabao Cup.

I don't think this approach has worked for one of our youth players in recent years.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
At that age, training week in and week out and being part of match days was likely more beneficial than playing in the U23s. That whole thing is a bit of a mess anyway, might not be so bad after the new revamp though I guess.

Going out on loan might happen but I don't think the club would see it as beneficial, especially as he's still so young. It's more likely he'll stay with the squad this season.

I dunno, just have a feeling they have a plan for him and that doesn't involve putting his development in the hands of another club, who will have very little investment in his long term future at the end of the day.
Not sure if it is, I have seen that kind of idea for our youth players often enough and they all just vanish after some times.

Loans do work, enough teams employ it succesfully. Last season we did that as well in general.

Alemar

I actually think he'll be part of the squad this year and be slowly introduced. This season's Garnacho maybe.
This season’s Garnacho was 36 appearances (13 starts) - it’s by no means “slow”. And these numbers were significantly limited by an injury - otherwise would be over 40 appearances for sure

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Don't think this is true.
Yes it is.

Even if he doesn't make our match day squad, he may miss out on the U23 game.
When did this supposedly happen?

He played 2 full matches from January for the reserve team, that is literally nothing.
He made 3 appearances for the u21s from January, the club can't magically stop him from getting injured and having to come off early in a match. He made 23 appearances at all levels with a further 6 on international duty despite being injured for over 2 months. He additionally appeared in behind closed door friendlies. That is literally plenty.

The reserves don't play as often as the first team does, but he missed many games and barely had a look in for the first team.
He didn't miss many matches though. PL2 has 26 matches. He was on international duty for 2, injured for 1 early in the season and 4 at the end. Missed 1 as he was dropped to the u18s. Made 13 appearances. That leaves 5 matches he missed due to being with the first team where he made 3 appearances, a more than fair trade off to play and train at a much higher level.

Can't find any injury on Transfermarkt but he started the season playing in U23 it seems, was promoted to the first team and then barely played football from January going on. Was on the bench a few times, out of the squad more times, and got some single sub-ins during the FA Cup and Carabao Cup.
Find a better source then, he was injured all of April and May. It is also u21s not u23s. He was promoted to the first team, made 3 appearances, dropped back to the u21s made 2 appearances, went on international duty making 3 appearances and then got injured until the end of the season.

I don't think this approach has worked for one of our youth players in recent years.
Playing regularly and getting introduced to senior football early has worked for all of our best youth players that have made it.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Yes it is.

When did this supposedly happen?

He made 3 appearances for the u21s from January, the club can't magically stop him from getting injured and having to come off early in a match. He made 23 appearances at all levels with a further 6 on international duty despite being injured for over 2 months. He additionally appeared in behind closed door friendlies. That is literally plenty.

He didn't miss many matches though. PL2 has 26 matches. He was on international duty for 2, injured for 1 early in the season and 4 at the end. Missed 1 as he was dropped to the u18s. Made 13 appearances. That leaves 5 matches he missed due to being with the first team where he made 3 appearances, a more than fair trade off to play and train at a much higher level.

Find a better source then, he was injured all of April and May. It is also u21s not u23s. He was promoted to the first team, made 3 appearances, dropped back to the u21s made 2 appearances, went on international duty making 3 appearances and then got injured until the end of the season.

Playing regularly and getting introduced to senior football early has worked for all of our best youth players that have made it.
Seems like he was injured for May and April indeed, reason why he has missed a lot of the matches. That makes it far better, cheers.

However from around 14th of January to around 14th of March, in two months, he played 2 full matches for the reserves out of a possible 7. After he went on the international break, it seems like he got injured and that was the end to his season.

In that period prior though for the first team, he started one match in the Carabao Cup for 60 minutes, had one cameo in the FA cup for 17 minutes, one cameo in the PL for 10 minutes against Leicester.

That is less than a full match of football to miss 5 in the U21's which he only started really consistently playing in from this season. Wouldn't necessarily call that a good trade-off considering that it is actually his first season where he was consistently playing at that level.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
30 odd mins in and he's done nothing against a mid Leeds side. Garnacho was ripping rayo a new one at this point.

We just love over hyping our players.
Someone bite

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
30 odd mins in and he's done nothing against a mid Leeds side. Garnacho was ripping rayo a new one at this point.

We just love over hyping our players.
Someone bite
Lame.

White text doesn’t save a shit post

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
You know what else is lame? Using lame in 2023 unironically.
You’ve just used it…

Anyway, he looks like he’s getting better and better. More than happy to be given game time in the first team this season to aid his development.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Big year ahead of him. surely he was too young last year. but he hardly impressed, too slow and without any energy for senior football. It either comes or not. needs to work extremely hard on the pitch, his technique is nothing special and will find it hard in much faster and powerful mens football where he doesnt posses the advantage of being well built and having tons of time like in youth footy.

luke511

Big year ahead of him. surely he was too young last year. but he hardly impressed, too slow and without any energy for senior football. It either comes or not. needs to work extremely hard on the pitch, his technique is nothing special and will find it hard in much faster and powerful mens football where he doesnt posses the advantage of being well built and having tons of time like in youth footy.
:confused: he played really well? Leeds players bounced off him at times, he looks ready physically.

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

He looked really good imo, but also some mistakes in possession also. Needs to keep working, maybe Mowbray would like to take him on loan at Sunderland this year.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is incredibly impressive in midfield. Might be one of the best talents in a while. Composed on the ball beyond his years, perfect weight of pass, good vision, good tackling, good dribling. Physical with ball winning abilities but also a Paul Scholes regen.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He looked really good imo, but also some mistakes in possession also. Needs to keep working, maybe Mowbray would like to take him on loan at Sunderland this year.
Would definitely like to see him go to the Championship and I'd imagine they'd bite our hands off for another talent.

Ekeke

Looked like he belonged playing next to Mason Mount. Good balance and strength on the ball, some good passes forward

Trex

Would definitely like to see him go to the Championship and I'd imagine they'd bite our hands off for another talent.
We should clear out some of our not so good midfielders and give him a shot. At united if you're good enough you're old enough. I think his talent merit it.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Good potential i feel but needs a loan. Even if it doesnt work out we would still get a good fee for him.

Abraxas

I like his availability for a pass and his technical level. Very young and a long way to go. Really hard to predict with players like this but I think he's doing everything right in his appearences.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is strong, hard to push him off the ball and also technically good. He might get chances this season.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
There's no huge luxury of choice on Casemiro's position, so he has to play and be prepared for the season.

Dazzmondo

He'll be the Garnacho of this season (if there is to be one). Interesting to see if he plays as a 6 against any of the better teams in pre-season how he gets on. His ability to make himself available to receive the ball is ahead of the other youngsters. Whether he can be defensively responsible enough against better midfielders is the bit I'm looking to see from him in the rest of pre-season. He's technically excellent.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Technically excellent midfielder. We are allergic to those. Prayers have been answered.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Hate to burst anyone's bubble but some of the reactions in here are extremely OTT, as tends to be the case for our young players in preseason.

jesperjaap

He'll be the Garnacho of this season (if there is to be one). Interesting to see if he plays as a 6 against any of the better teams in pre-season how he gets on. His ability to make himself available to receive the ball is ahead of the other youngsters. Whether he can be defensively responsible enough against better midfielders is the bit I'm looking to see from him in the rest of pre-season. He's technically excellent.
Agree, I thik he could break through this seasosn if we move on Fred/<cTominay/VDB even if we sign a second midfielder like Arambat for example