2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Dazzmondo

Hate to burst anyone's bubble but some of the reactions in here are extremely OTT, as tends to be the case for our young players in preseason.
He's already got some appearances last season despite being younger than many of our other youngsters. He's definitely the Academy player ETH rates the highest at this point (not counting Garnacho)

zaafi

Big year ahead of him. surely he was too young last year. but he hardly impressed, too slow and without any energy for senior football. It either comes or not. needs to work extremely hard on the pitch, his technique is nothing special and will find it hard in much faster and powerful mens football where he doesnt posses the advantage of being well built and having tons of time like in youth footy.
I was looking for white text but when I failed to find it, my conclusion was that you're mistaking him for another player because that's the only logical reason after reading what you said of him.

Hardly impressed? Too slow? Without energy? I don't know how you've done it, but all of these are wrong. He impressed, which is why he was only one of two youth players who actually got a chance in some matches.
He is absolutely not slow and he has massive energy levels. Just because he is calm in possession does not mean he doesn't have energy levels in abundance.

As for your comment on his technique, it's nothing but laughable. It is really good and I suggest you look up some of his games.

Trex

Not sure who is closer to first team football, Mainoo or Hannibal.
Would love to see them both make it. Today was the first time Hannibal impressed me at first team level, he wasn't just hacking people down. He was aggressive but intelligent. Plus he showed his technical qualities. I always look at the technical and physical abilities as well as the application. They're both ahead of the other young midfielders in both category.
Would love to see our first team with a few youth graduate (Rashford, Garnacho, Kobe, Hannibal, Fernandez, You know who (if he redeems himself)) who are all united class.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Can see him being the next one to break through. He’s quality.

skc_18

Hate to burst anyone's bubble but some of the reactions in here are extremely OTT, as tends to be the case for our young players in preseason.
:) Yes, every one looks great in the pre-season especially post-fergie era. And most of them gets found out in the first competitive match.
If Mainoo can go to a decent club for loan, that it itself should be an achievement.

Trex

:) Yes, every one looks great in the pre-season especially post-fergie era. And most of them gets found out in the first competitive match.
If Mainoo can go to a decent club for loan, that it itself should be an achievement.
Except we know Kobe is class even before today, and clearly ETH rates him. He even name dropped him and Garnacho when speaking about united culture when it comes to producing it own players in an interview before the FA cup final.
He clearly sees him as a project, he won't be going anywhere on loan.

Robert

I like that he keeps it ticking and I think you can see he’s been working on his first touch in collecting the ball to build play.

I got a lot of confidence in this lad as he grows and matures in all aspects.

GregM40

Thought he was decent in that Charlton game and was hoping we’d see more of him after that. Looked good again today, let’s see if he can make the jump.

sepulturite

I was looking for white text but when I failed to find it, my conclusion was that you're mistaking him for another player because that's the only logical reason after reading what you said of him.

Hardly impressed? Too slow? Without energy? I don't know how you've done it, but all of these are wrong. He impressed, which is why he was only one of two youth players who actually got a chance in some matches.
He is absolutely not slow and he has massive energy levels. Just because he is calm in possession does not mean he doesn't have energy levels in abundance.

As for your comment on his technique, it's nothing but laughable. It is really good and I suggest you look up some of his games.
Some posters on here think they know it all about players and play style etc. when in reality they don't have a clue. There's a subreddit called r/confidentlyincorrect, posts like that belong there.

KjaAnd

Great game from him today. In his few first team appearances, he has been looking timid and playing it safe (which is understandable for someone so young trying to break through in the Prem). Today, we saw more of the real Mainoo IMO. He was adventurous, taking on opponents, dictating the game and getting stuck in. I really think we have a gem on our hands here. Hope EtH sees it too.

Faetheshire86

Thought he was the most impressive today. Has such a well rounded game, quick, strong, great feet, industrious. I don't know if #6 is his position, I feel like he would benefit from being a little further forward.

pascell

Some also severely underrate them too, the answer is halfway between the two which is to not expect too much, too soon and allow the young players to develop in their own time.

r1z3mu

Very nice, tidy, good control. I think we have a gem.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Definitely see him following on from Garnacho and making it in the first team.

Oranges038

Good first half, it's hard to judge how he'd perform against bigger and better teams.

But, his passing, control, awareness and all riund midfield play was what you want to see from a young midfielder getting a chance to show what he can do. Technically he's got all the skills, physically he's got all the tools.

Will be interesting to see how he develops over the next year or two. Getting game time with experienced players like Eriksen and Casemiro will be invaluable for him in the long term.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
A little more game time which allow the game to slow down for him and improve his co!posture -- plus learning more of the game and we have found ourself casemiro's replacement.

The Irish Connection

Nice performance from him.
He has everything in his locker to be the next Caicedo, just a pity he’s not another year or two further forward in progress.
Would be class if him and Amad really made an impact in the coming season.

Demon Barber

I was very impressed with his performance today. He certainly is a talent and I would like to see him develop at United rather than a loan.

Like Mount, Mainoo was all over the pitch and clearly understands what ETH expects from his players. He was tenacious, bags of energy, pace, strength, vision and skill.

I get the point that we frequently big-up youth players in pre-season, but I think we have a real talent here.

skc_18

Except we know Kobe is class even before today, and clearly ETH rates him. He even name dropped him and Garnacho when speaking about united culture when it comes to producing it own players in an interview before the FA cup final.
He clearly sees him as a project, he won't be going anywhere on loan.
He looks class for sure , my comment was based on players performance in the pre seasons we had in the past.

OverratedOpinion

Everytime I watch him I see no reason why he can't get a good amount of game time this season. He's got the air of a far more experienced pro and all the talent in the world.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s already been fast tracked last season, what a vote of confidence. It’s just that he plays in the most difficult position on the pitch. He needs to almost have a perfect game in the PL to not get slaughtered by pundits and fans and kicked around by the opposition. He’s clearly going to get a few more appearances this season and if he keeps improving the sky is literally the limit. If he stalls he’ll go on loan. What a great talent this lad is! The best thing out of the academy since Greenwood, a similar level talent and I fancy him to start running games for us in the next 24 months which is crazy for a CM at this level.

Grande

He’s already been fast tracked last season, what a vote of confidence. It’s just that he plays in the most difficult position on the pitch. He needs to almost have a perfect game in the PL to not get slaughtered by pundits and fans and kicked around by the opposition. He’s clearly going to get a few more appearances this season and if he keeps improving the sky is literally the limit. If he stalls he’ll go on loan. What a great talent this lad is! The best thing out of the academy since Greenwood, a similar level talent and I fancy him to start running games for us in the next 24 months which is crazy for a CM at this level.
One small step for man, isn’t it?

criticalanalysis

It's only 45 mins so I will typically eulogise in classic redcafe fashion but he really does remind me of all the good things about Pogba and I'm not using that as a 'lazy' example because of his skin colour etc. I can even see the similarity in his movements, feints, drag backs and his posture.

Say it quietly but he looks like an elite talent. Not sure about his 'productivity' in terms of final balls, defensive and offensive contributions but technically with his ball shielding and ball carrying, he could have a very useful midfield skillset like tempo setting and possession retention. Once he gets more games and grow both mentally and physically, if he adds to that, we could have some player on our hands. Love to see it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really like him. Even in his first team appearance you could see that he has that extra time and quality on the ball, that you need at the highest level. Same was the case yesterday. Hope we give him chances in the coming season.

Sylar

He looked composed, and confident with the ball. Impressive stuff and think he has the best chance to break through. The one thing is though, its centre midfield which is probably the hardest place to break through into for us, even if we are light in those positions. Id love for him to be this seasons academy breakthrough into the first team squad. He looks to have a good passing range, but the most important thing is how composed he looks (mistake aside, although it was on the edge of their box)

flameinthesun

Pedri vibes
Some might say this is overreacting but I see this comparison.

Its still only a pre season game but he does seem to have the tools in terms of passing, dribbling, getting stuck in but most importantly for that role good spatial awareness. As always with these youngsters it is whether they can make the step up to trying to impact a competitive game which is hard to do. Garnacho, Rashford, Greenwood etc almost instantly were able to do that. Where as the majority of youngsters kind of just come in and don't really stand out.

This season will be pretty important for him. Definitely think he shouldn't be loaned out and should be given the Garnacho treatment and see if he can make that step up to challenge for a sub/first 11 spot. If he is able to do that at this young age then I think we potentially have a star on our hands. All ifs and buts at this point though.

Borninthe80ts

It’s weird when I see the mixed reactions to a young players good performance. Is it possible to be excited and yet level headed at the same time?

Mainoo clearly has a lot of attributes that could allow him to become a top player and the fact he is so young impresses even more. However I’m sure those that recognise this are also aware that talent doesn’t always equal performance. I for one won’t guarantee that that he will reach the top of the game but I’ll enjoy the journey.

I think he can contribute next season and showed the kind of composure and bravery he has in the youth teams. He has everything going for him bar experience.

lex talionis

I really like him. Even in his first team appearance you could see that he has that extra time and quality on the ball, that you need at the highest level. Same was the case yesterday. Hope we give him chances in the coming season.
My thoughts exactly.