2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

pacifictheme

I would be genuinely surprised if he didn't wait for England.

Born and raised here and a much better footballing nation.

Captmfla

What an incredible player! He's a great dribbler and passer of the ball. And he's a awesome press resistant player! Wow this is too surreal!

Yagami

Good post resistant
@Yagami must be in tears of joy at the moment.
It is nice, yeah :lol: but I've been a fan of Mainoo's for many years now so being exposed to his game is nothing new. It's just nice to see him doing it in the first team.

I, understandably, get the Mick taken out of me with the whole press resistant thing, but, and I've said this before, when you see one finally playing for us and you see the reaction of the fan base as a whole, I'm like "see!". This is also a kid playing his first senior level games ever. Now imagine the impact - and reaction of the fan base - to us integrating multiple press resistant players into the team who are closer to their prime. We'd naturally play more entertaining football because players like these can excel even when the tactics are lacking.

It's like the latter years of Wenger's time at Arsenal. Tactically, they were lacking, but they still played entertaining stuff because of the type of players Wenger liked to stockpile. Obviously, for us, the dream is to have these players alongside a manager with the right tactics, but just having some entertainment now after a decade plus of mainly boredom is more than welcome.

Hester_manc

I will not be surprised if he chooses to represent Ghana. Both his parents come from there and they will surely be proud if he plays for their home country.

redcucumber

I will not be surprised if he chooses to represent Ghana. Both his parents come from there and they will surely be proud if he plays for their home country.
He's born and raised here, so they've been at home in the UK for a hell of a long time. Imagine they'd be pretty chuffed watching their lad playing midfield for England.

Hester_manc

He's born and raised here, so they've been at home in the UK for a hell of a long time. Imagine they'd be pretty chuffed watching their lad playing midfield for England.
I also think that Mainoo will choose England when he has lived there forever. But I will not be surprised if he chooses Ghana. They will probably be able to use him earlier and are obviously trying to lure him.

Mainoo will surely feel attached to both countries.

FC Copenhagen, for example, has a similar situation with a young talent who was born and raised in Denmark, yet openly says that he is considering playing for the Algerian national team.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd be staggered if Mainoo opted to play for Ghana, he's born and raised in Stockport and has spent his entire career at an English club.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Agree. These kind of decisions are heavy influenced by parents.

That said, a lot will depend on how soon Southgate calls him up. England is a big team on international stage and if called up saying no is a hard decision, professionally

It will be much easier for Mainoo to play for Ghana, if Southgate continues to be "my boys" biased prat and doesn't call Mainoo up in the near future

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd be staggered if Mainoo opted to play for Ghana, he's born and raised in Stockport and has spent his entire career at an English club.
I’m born and raised in London but definitely identify as Nigerian and would represent them if given the choice.

We’ve seen similar decisions with players like Mejbri, Pereira, Garnacho and even Januzaj had this conflict. People can be born anywhere, but this doesn’t dictate where they identify as from. Especially when they are raised as a minority in that country.

AltiUn

I’m born and raised in London but definitely identify as Nigerian and would represent them if given the choice.

We’ve seen similar decisions with players like Mejbri, Pereira, Garnacho and even Januzaj had this conflict. People can be born anywhere, but this doesn’t dictate where they identify as from. Especially when they are raised as a minority in that country.
That’s true but again, I’d be very surprised.

Alemar

It’s a plain vanilla decision to play him alongside Rice and Bellingham at the Euros, he slots right into the starting XI, and fully on merit.

AltiUn

It’s a plain vanilla decision to play him alongside Rice and Bellingham at the Euros, he slots right into the starting XI, and fully on merit.
Not sure I’d count on Southgate doing that, I’m almost certain he’ll be taking Philips and fecking Henderson again instead of taking a risk.

Alemar

Not sure I’d count on Southgate doing that, I’m almost certain he’ll be taking Philips and fecking Henderson again instead of taking a risk.
What risk are you talking about? Mainoo plays in the starting XI for Manchester United on a regular basis.

lex talionis

Since Mainoo has become a regular starter, has anyone else been as consistently as impressive as him?

Andersons Dietician

Watching him on Thursday I was thinking he’s not really done anything spectacular but he has been incredible and all he was doing were the simple things. Receiving the ball, giving the ball, breaking up play moving it on. All the basics you want from a midfielder and he did it all very well. In my mind I was thinking Carrick.

Then he goes and scores that goal and I don’t know how many times I’ve watched it now but it just gets better and better.

MJay

Agree. These kind of decisions are heavy influenced by parents.

That said, a lot will depend on how soon Southgate calls him up. England is a big team on international stage and if called up saying no is a hard decision, professionally

It will be much easier for Mainoo to play for Ghana, if Southgate continues to be "my boys" biased prat and doesn't call Mainoo up in the near future
But he played for all the Under 21, under 18 and so on for England. It would be consistent with the England national teams recent, successful model of the players, and the coach, moving up the Unders together. Regarding Southgate specifically, I do not think he'll be there after the Euros, so there will be a refresh, or a facelift, for the national team

jesperjaap

Stories today in the press that Ghana are tapping him up for international football. Southgate really needs to have a word. Rice, Mainoo and Bellingham as a midfield in three or four years time, anybody?
He is good enough to make the world cup squad even at his tender age, this is an England side that despite great startes, lets not forget has had Gallagher, Henderson, Calvin Phillips and Ward Prowse make lots of appearances over the last couple of years. They are all decent players, but none of them are anything special. Beyond our starters for ENgland which for me should 100% be Rice and Bellingham with Foden as the number 10, we are pretty average, Mainoo is definately a viable alternative to come on from the bench there.

jesperjaap

Heard Ferdinand say it the other day and a few on here comment, never even thought of it but can see the comparisons to Seedorf.

Seedorf was already near world class at a similar age to Mainoo in the great Ajax side and obviously a fabulour player. I dont think Mainoo has the same level of technique but the way he glides with the ball and his football brain, the comparisons arent total folly.

Shaw, Martinez and Mainoo are all proper players we should be building the side around....the rest, including some big names, none of them for various reasons would I be even dssapointed if they lelft personally

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Heard Ferdinand say it the other day and a few on here comment, never even thought of it but can see the comparisons to Seedorf.

Seedorf was already near world class at a similar age to Mainoo in the great Ajax side and obviously a fabulour player. I dont think Mainoo has the same level of technique but the way he glides with the ball and his football brain, the comparisons arent total folly.

Shaw, Martinez and Mainoo are all proper players we should be building the side around....the rest, including some big names, none of them for various reasons would I be even dssapointed if they lelft personally
I'm guessing you've missed out Garnacho by accident there

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
It is nice, yeah :lol: but I've been a fan of Mainoo's for many years now so being exposed to his game is nothing new. It's just nice to see him doing it in the first team.

I, understandably, get the Mick taken out of me with the whole press resistant thing, but, and I've said this before, when you see one finally playing for us and you see the reaction of the fan base as a whole, I'm like "see!". This is also a kid playing his first senior level games ever. Now imagine the impact - and reaction of the fan base - to us integrating multiple press resistant players into the team who are closer to their prime. We'd naturally play more entertaining football because players like these can excel even when the tactics are lacking.

It's like the latter years of Wenger's time at Arsenal. Tactically, they were lacking, but they still played entertaining stuff because of the type of players Wenger liked to stockpile. Obviously, for us, the dream is to have these players alongside a manager with the right tactics, but just having some entertainment now after a decade plus of mainly boredom is more than welcome.
Guess the trick is to make sure to hype up the greatest talents as press ressistant! :)

Woziak

I remember watching him against Lyon in the preseason friendly and thinking he didn’t look that impressive. I have never been so glad to be so wrong
I remember watching against Arsenal in pre season dominate the game and Rice and thought ; “what do we have here?”

This boy is a serious talent who won’t finish growing probably until his 19th birthday, which is in 3 months on the 19th April, for the record he shares the same birthday as me which I only just found out and this explains so much!

If you believe in Astrology then he’s born as an Aries/Tarus cusp star sign.

Natural born leader who shares very humble traits but has a touch of arrogance in their make up. I definitely see these characteristics in our young prodigy.

90 + 5min

Club needs to take care of him. He is diamond and one of best young players I've seen when it comes to reading game since Fabregas. He is constantly one step ahead of his opponents and that gives him valuable time to control the game. His positioning, his awareness and composure is already at high level. This just doesn't feel like other talents that are good one year just to end up loaned out and forgotten two years after.

The most important is to give him time to grow and at the same time keeping his feet on the ground. He is still a kid.

flameinthesun

Shaw is absolutely press resistant and so is Antony as well.
Yeah I agree. Shaw has easily always had the best first touch in the squad under any circumstances. Last year Antony was the only attacker that you could confidently pass the ball to under pressure and he wouldn't lose it.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I remember watching against Arsenal in pre season dominate the game and Rice and thought ; “what do we have here?”

This boy is a serious talent who won’t finish growing probably until his 19th birthday, which is in 3 months on the 19th April, for the record he shares the same birthday as me which I only just found out and this explains so much!

If you believe in Astrology then he’s born as an Aries/Tarus cusp star sign.

Natural born leader who shares very humble traits but has a touch of arrogance in their make up. I definitely see these characteristics in our young prodigy.
Why does he stop growing at his 19th birthday?

cpresc

Yeah I agree. Shaw has easily always had the best first touch in the squad under any circumstances. Last year Antony was the only attacker that you could confidently pass the ball to under pressure and he wouldn't lose it.
..until he starts running

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

True but I’ve notice a lot of players avoid nations that have more competition for there place in the team

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
True but I’ve notice a lot of players avoid nations that have more competition for there place in the team
Players only do that at a much later stage of their career when it looks increasingly unlikely that they will ever have a place in their preferred/stronger team, see Zaha or Cash. Not when they are young and potentially on their way to have a role in the national team.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Players only do that at a much later stage of their career when it looks increasingly unlikely that they will ever have a place in their preferred/stronger team, see Zaha or Cash. Not when they are young and potentially on their way to have a role in the national team.
If he sticks with England then we’d have a midfield for years with him, Bellingham and Foden. Just need the right manager to unlock the potential.

crossy1686

career ending
Stories today in the press that Ghana are tapping him up for international football. Southgate really needs to have a word. Rice, Mainoo and Bellingham as a midfield in three or four years time, anybody?
I said before Arsenal signed Rice that he would be replaced in the England team by a more technical/better player as soon as one came along, and got the usual “who!?” as a response. That player is probably Mainoo. I’m sure Rice will continue to play a part in some way but he isn’t as good as people like to make him out to be. He’s the Maguire of midfielders.

The future looks really bright for the England midfield though. Fix the defence and they could finally be on to something.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I said before Arsenal signed Rice that he would be replaced in the England team by a more technical/better player as soon as one came along, and got the usual “who!?” as a response. That player is probably Mainoo. I’m sure Rice will continue to play a part in some way but he isn’t as good as people like to make him out to be. He’s the Maguire of midfielders.

The future looks really bright for the England midfield though. Fix the defence and they could finally be on to something.
Mainoo will potentially play with Rice as their skills might compliment each other.

MJay

Rice at CB?

Stadjer

Had a few good passes today, but was otherwise pretty much invisible. 36 touches total as a midfielder.
I dont think he was invisible at all. He might not have made a lot of touches or passes but i did see him receive the ball and get it out of trouble with ease a few times. Those moments were important and noticeable.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I dont think he was invisible at all. He might not have made a lot of touches or passes but i did see him receive the ball and get it out of trouble with ease a few times. Those moments were important and noticeable.
Thought he looked a bit flat footed today which is quite uncomfortable. Not that he did anything wrong. Just didn't seem to have much zip.