2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Conor

He has shown completely fine speed at some points in games, it's almost like he just never goes full pelt unless he 100% has to.

The only thing he needs to cut out are the dodgy passes, he seems to have a few in every game that lead to dangerous positions for the other team. I'm sure that will come with experience.

Okey

I don't get the pace talk. How much pace did Busquets have? If this kid becomes anything even close to Sergio, we'd have an absolute world class talent on our hands.

macheda14

I really feel when everyone is fit and you have at least Onana, Shaw, Martinez, Mainoo and Casemiro as 5/7 of our defensive/midfield unit we will be much much stronger in building up possession. We just have to hope Case's form hasn't actually dropped off a cliff. I think it was more he was left as the only defensive midfielder and that's something he can't do anymore. Because Case/Mainoo could be a great partnership.

simplyared

When that Wigan player broke through down the left. He waited to make the tackle and whipped the ball off the top of his boot in true Rio style. Class! SAF would've appreciated that!

youngrell

When that Wigan player broke through down the left. He waited to make the tackle and whipped the ball off the top of his boot in true Rio style. Class! SAF would've appreciated that!
Yep. He know the guy wanted to cut in on his right foot so just positioned himself perfectly for it and swept the ball away when he made his move. So very simple but effective, like the rest of his game.

RuudTom83

I hope Casemiro’s return doesn’t limit his minutes…I’m excited to see them both play together.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I hope Casemiro’s return doesn’t limit his minutes…I’m excited to see them both play together.
I think they'll play together, Casemiro - Mainoo - Fernandes. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Mainoo remain as the deepest of the 3 midfielders either.

Strats

Not worried about his pace at all.

As others mentioned; Players like Carrick, Scholes, Busquets and Pirlo did quite fine despite not being Olympic champions on 100m

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Stood out, but never felt there was anything Wigan had in the middle which could’ve caused him much bother.

Showed his range of defensive ability as well as playing the right pass almost every time.

Do not coach him, he’s already better than almost everyone.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I liked that he showed more to his game in this match. In previous matches the two things that really stood out was his press resistance and passing. Against Wigan he played a bit more offensively, both with his passing and his dribbling (something we've seen glimpses of before, but he stepped it up further). Now obviously he was facing a weaker team today so he probably had more time and space, but it's a good sign for the future as he establishes himself. Plus this was probably his most impressive match defensively as well, winning the ball back constantly.

ZupZup

I’m probably getting a bit carried away… but I’ve just placed a bet on him making England’s squad for the Euros. The only thing stopping him is Southgate’s rubbish selections.

Rossa

Agreed. I cannot wait to see how the midfield looks once Casemiro is in. Mainoo Casemiro can be quite dangerous, given Casemiro also has ability to play as an 8. We have been exposed in the past where Casemiro tries to win the ball back high and no one back, this was with Mainoo covering, we may turn the ball over alot more.
I think it can be quite brilliant. Perhaps not the most dynamic midfield in the league, but I'm not too concerned with that. City's midfield is hardly that dynamic, and Carrick-Scholes were hardly busting with energy either. We need the unit to work, not just a duo in midfield.

What I really like about Mainoo, that we haven't seen since Anderson, is a midfielder that can turn with the ball as graciously like a ballerina. That close control, low centre of gravity makes all the difference. It's not about carrying the ball fowards or dribbling, but those turns free up so much space - look at Silva at City for instance; he doesn't dribble or glide past players, but he creates space for himself. Mainoo has amazing close control and that low centre of gravity.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I’m probably getting a bit carried away… but I’ve just placed a bet on him making England’s squad for the Euros. The only thing stopping him is Southgate’s rubbish selections.
That's money down the drain mate, this is Southgate we're talking about.

Alemar

On merit, he shouldn’t just make the squad, he should start alongside Bellingham and Rice. That’s theoretically England’s strongest midfield trio

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Haha I try to keep in mind that he is still recovering from a significant injury that kept him out for a number of months, and being so young he can always mature physically as he kinda looks to be carrying a little bit of baby weight still, but I am not joking when I say that sometimes he looks like he is running in sand while carrying current day Wayne Rooney on his back.

I remember one instance in the first half today, against league 1 opposition, that someone was dribbling right down the heart of our midfield towards our goal, and I kept waiting for Mainoo to sprint and to try to catch up to the guy, and..... he just didn't. He stayed the same pace, and he got nowhere near the player.

I think it is acceptable to have a CM that "lacks a bit of pace" if they can compensate in other areas. But this looks like way more of an issue, as it is right now, than simply lacking a bit of pace. And yes, even thought he is a CM, I think it is an issue that quality players will exploit. Look at the liverpool game recently, where Ryan G. saw that he could dribble past Mainoo and started doing it at will. Thats a problem. If he can't track runners properly because he can't keep up with them? Thats a problem.

And I get slightly annoyed at the retorts bringing up Scholes and Carrick. Is it possible that their lack of pace was adequately covered by being surrounded by world class players at every position? Carrick had Darren Fletcher to cover every blade of grass, and Mainoo has Scott McT. Scholes had freakin Roy Keane or Nicky Butt as possible midfield partners, and Mainoo has Scott McT or Bruno. Is it possible that Scholes and Carrick's lack of pace might have been more noticeable and more of a problem if they were on a midtable team, surrounded by midtable players, as Mainoo currently is?
Your post shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how football works, and principally how tactics are important when setting up a team. If you take any top DM from the last 15 years and leave them alone in midfield, they are going to get dribbled past plenty. That’s why teams don’t set up with one in midfield like we seem to do. We haven’t been playing a midfield two or a midfield 3, we’ve been playing a midfield 1. That exposes the shit out of whoever is at DM, because they can’t cover all that space. It doesn’t work.

Both Carrick and Scholes could get dribbled past when isolated alone, but they operated in tandem with tactical discipline and maturity. Meanwhile we have currently set up the team to not have any. Mainoo’s lack of pace is not even remotely close to any sort of an impediment to him being a top midfielder. The only thing that will hinder his performance or expose his lack of pace is playing suicidal tactics.

ETH seems to be attempting to play a City-esque 4-1-4-1 without understanding that (a) city have the ball 70-80% of the time, so throttle opponents through possession, and (b) the two Mezzala type players in front of Rodri, De Bruyne and Silva, both get through a phenomenal amount of work. Silva plays a lot, lot deeper than most people realise, and often comes as deep as Rodri to get the ball. We on the other hand leave Bruno and McT high up the field with a massive gaping hole through the middle, which is about the most naive interpretation of 4-1-4-1 I’ve ever seen.

Casemiro plus Mainoo will be our best midfield pairing when both are fit. I think I can see that a country mile off. Failing that, Mainoo plus Eriksen, primarily because Eriksen sits deep nowadays and gives Mainoo an actual midfield partner. If you transplant Carrick, Busquets or nearly any other technical DM you can think of into this team, they will look exposed and be constantly run at and beaten, because that’s not their game - to be physical beasts over a foot race. Their game, like with Mainoo, is to be positionally intelligent, read the game well, recycle possession safely and intelligently and break the lines with their passing. All things he does very well already. It should also be noted that in physical duels he uses his body very well.

There are probably only two players in the PL era that I can think of that would be able to handle, with any consistency, the demands of playing as a midfield one in Ten Hag’s system, with the physicality, speed and technical ability to excel, and those are Keane and Vieira. Generational midfielders.

There are only two things that can happen in Ten Hag’s system, for it to work. One is to find a Keane clone, the other is to pair a sole Mainoo with two other number 10’s, who are so technically skilled at keeping the ball, that we rarely turn it over. But our two 10s are bull in a china shop McTominay, and Fernandes, who is the king of the high risk, low percentage pass - meaning more often than not we turn possession over frequently, exposing us to counter attacks where we have just one player in the middle of the park.

So yes, under such circumstances, his lack of pace is a problem, because he’s being asked to play in a system that requires him to be both a physical beast and a technical genius.

Or, you know, we could just look at this through the lens of a functional footballing unit - where we play an actually recognised midfield structure - and realise that we have a prodigious talent on our hands.

There are really two fundamental interpretations of the midfield three. A regular triangle, with two players at the base and one sitting in front. Typically two 6/8’s and a 10, or an inverted triangle with a fixed pivot (6), and two 8.5’s. An 8.5 being a player that operates between a traditional 8 and a 10. City do that perfectly. Pep’s Barca did that perfectly. There’s no real variation of it that works, where it’s a 6 plus two 10s. Because you miss the fundamental links in the triangle. The inverted triangle gives the 6 two close outlets in the 8.5s, but you look at our system and the 6 is often isolated because Fernandes and McTominay are walkabouts.

Eriksen isn’t the answer to a top class midfield, but his game is now naturally suited to playing deeper. He doesn’t have the legs to get back from a 10 position, so when he plays he naturally sits deeper. Which gives Mainoo a link. It works better by accident of attributes and limitations in the player, rather than by design. McTominay on the other hand has the engine to get back, so is constantly told to push up front, but it kills our build up play as there is no triangle in midfield, and inevitably there are occasions where he just doesn’t get back in time. It’s simply not possible to do.

Last edited:

Righteous Steps

On merit, he shouldn’t just make the squad, he should start alongside Bellingham and Rice. That’s theoretically England’s strongest midfield trio
Good thing you're not the manager, on merit he shouldn't be starting. Both Jones and Gallagher have had better seasons so far and have far more experience, people are saying he should start because they like the idea of the player he will eventually be if everything all goes well, not the level he is at now.

As of now he is a promising young midfielder, Uniteds best midfielder with Casemeiro out but there are still a number of midfielders in the league better than him, he hasn't proven or put together a number of top class performances, the stats doesn't paint him to be any better than the players he is competing against and in his best performances he has had less than 30 passes in the game.

I think he is a precocious talent but there isn't any need to rush him, he hasn't had the impact where he skips u21 football and goes straight to the first team, in recent years only Rooney i can think of who was deserving of that, even Jack Wilshere played 7 games with the u21.

saivet

I think there's a place for him in the squad, even if he understandably won't start. Getting him involved in the set up now or at the Euros would be a positive step.

In theory a midfield trio of Rice, Bellingham and Mainoo is very balanced. There aren't many options for England in the deeper midfield role and so his competition are Phillips and Henderson who are getting in the squad somewhat by default due to lack of options.

Alemar

Both Jones and Gallagher have had better seasons so far and have far more experience,
Neither of those has had a better season. They had longer season, sure, due to Mainoo’s long injury, but after his return he’s playing better

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't get the pace talk. How much pace did Busquets have? If this kid becomes anything even close to Sergio, we'd have an absolute world class talent on our hands.
Depends on style of football. Sergio played in a team which had most of possession during the games and played with slow tempo.
In a transition type of play (which ETH wants to play), speed of midfielders is important. Because when you play direct football then your defence with be more open.

But i don't think that he is slow. He has average pace. Not slow, not fast. Which is ok for me for mc.

Righteous Steps

Neither of those has had a better season. They had longer season, sure, due to Mainoo’s long injury, but after his return he’s playing better
Don't think so Jones performance against Arsenal and West Ham is above anything Mainoo has done so far this season...

Gallagher has actually been the most consistent or stable out of the three, literally benching the likes of Enzo and Caicedo at times and leading Chelsea in nearly every metric a midfielder could be judged on.

Mainoo actually hasn't put a MOTM worthy performance against a top 8 team as of yet, the other two have at some point in their career. England i think in recent years have got it right in promoting players at the right time, while someone like Spain have gone the complete opposite way to the detriment of their team and players.

Mainoo next call up should be for the u21s, like i said i think in the last 10 years the only players who were good or proven enough to skip the England youth set up and go straight to the first team at 18 have been Rooney and Bellingham, both were on the cusp of being world class players at that age, and even then Bellingham played 4 games for the u21, Rooney played zero but he was a unicorn.

pacifictheme

Will Wayne Rooney ever be described as a beast as majestic and elegant as a unicorn ever again?

NoPace

Can't say for sure you'll win it, but I think it makes sense in that Mainoo provides something the other England midfielders don't as a 3rd man with the nailed on starters in Bellingham and Rice, which is being comfortable on the ball and also does his bit defensively.

I think I'd see it as 2 spots for Mainoo, Henderson, Curtis Jones and Phillips

if you assume 6 attackers, 6 midfielders, 8 defenders and 3 keepers (and Trent is a 9th defender, maybe it also helps Palmer or Eze as an extra wide option unlike Maddison, Mount or Gallagher).

1) Rice
2) Bellingham

3) Alexander-Arnold or Ward-Prowse - Passing, set pieces/shooting
4) Gallagher, Maddison, Palmer, Eze or Mount - Backup for Bellingham and an option next to him when you're chasing a game or want a pure 4-1-2-3 type setup
5) Henderson, Curtis Jones or Mainoo - Composure
6) Phillips or Mainoo - Need a proper backup for Rice

So might come down to if Henderson can escape Saudi Arabia and if Phillips is seen as healthy enough.

Bobski

That was his best performance for Utd, made the early mistake which could have led to them taking the lead but he was highly impressive after that, great composure and balance on the ball, body control in shielding the ball and was moving the ball quickly. Also showed the dog in him with plenty of tackles and quality defensive work. In the PL it has been more flashes, that was a preview of what he can be in a couple of years if Utd develop him correctly.

Righteous Steps

Away from England though, he has the same gait and running style as Seedorf and Tielemans, very sturdy in terms of his lower half, legs like tree trunks yet still remains graceful when running with the ball.

I think eventually he will have too much in his game to be a 6, a playmaking 8 is the type of profile he'll end up.