2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Dan_F

Because Ten Hag's football is built on first strike hoof the ball over the top to runners long ball shit. Mainoo has not shown to have that pass as yet.
It wasn’t in his previous teams. I understand why Casemiro chooses to play that ball, he’s never been one to turn with the ball and take a risk, but de Jong certainly didn’t play like that for Ajax.

lex talionis

The boy turns 19 in a few weeks. Outstanding stuff from again considering his age. That he’s even on same side as Casemiro and performing at a higher level than Casemiro consistently now is mind-boggling.

mancsarered

He's 18 and being hung out to dry due his manager's tactical ineptitude and inability of his teammates to keep possession under any type of pressure.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Would be better if ETH wasn't here tbh. If he is, then transfers certainly have to left to other people.
Yeah, I'm leaning the same way. Today he had 3 of his "own" central midfielders + Mainoo who he promoted + Evans, Onana (and the experience of Varane). And still we can't string two passes together. That's honestly on him. Martinez and Shaw can't be THAT crucial.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's no surprise that he is weaker every game after his debut. During his first few games he played the style of football he was coached at younger level, but with every passing game he is instructed by Ten Hag what to do and of course he is not that Bruno type of player Ten Hag likes so it will not suit him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Play him too long with this lot, he’ll turn to shit too…..
It will rub off on him, definitely. He’s at the most impressionable point in his footballing career and all around him are midfielders who want to bypass buildup play. Factor in the manager who doesn’t want to bother controlling central areas of the pitch too, and well…

djembatheking

Looks a real talent, if we keep giving him plenty of game time he could progress to be really shite within a year or so.

LDUred

He's a technical possesion-based player in a hideous footballing side that cannot keep the ball and lacks ball carriers in midfield. McTominay and Casemiro just do not complement him, partly because of the tactics, and also because of their clear limitations. He needs quicker and more dynamic players around him.

The midfield needs to be rebuilt around Mainoo with players that will enhance his strengths. We have to stay patient and see what we come up with in the summer, but the likes of McTom and Casemiro are holding Mainoo and us back.

Last edited:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's no surprise that he is weaker every game after his debut. During his first few games he played the style of football he was coached at younger level, but with every passing game he is instructed by Ten Hag what to do and of course he is not that Bruno type of player Ten Hag likes so it will not suit him.
Yeah this worries me. The team is not set up for him to play his game, which I want to see more of, rather than the helter skelter chaotic football of Bruno Fernandes.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

We've seen enough to know he's going to be class. He could drop a few poor performances from now until the end of the season and I wouldn't be remotely worried, considering the players he has around him. Sell Casemiro and Mctominay for a combined 70m this summer and use the funds to buy a cool head to play next to Mainoo.

dutchred

Hopefully well have a proper number 6 next season, which will release Mainoo to do what he's best at. Casemiro is not up to it.

G-manc

He’s massively exceeded my expectations so far.

My major concern is that he looks very slow.

Ekeke

As I've said before he needs to learn how to move into the spaces where he becomes the right pass. This is what Casemiro does in order to get lots of touches. And perhaps he shouldnt do the exact same thing if Casemiro is doing it - usually offering himself deep to the backline, but he needs to learn to do something similar instead of waiting for the ball to come to him because often it wont and it will lead to having 34 touches like today. When Casemiro is playing and getting on the ball that much and doing the majority of the ball winning Mainoo's job tends to end up just running around doing the extra bits and we know he can do more than that which is why we ask to see it.

You can blame the tactics but for all their faults and weaker areas Casemiro and Fernandes know how to get on the ball and make lots of passes and get lots of touches. Those 2 and Lisandro average the most for us this season in those categories per 90 mins. And other than Fernandes the other 2 have been out with injury where even then our other players dont do the same. So they just arent as good with it or dont work as hard to get on the ball

Stig

Kobbie was outstanding. Not prime Schweinsteiger outstanding, but outstanding for where he is in his development.

The floggers out there need to have a word with themselves.
Exactly. He is a schoolboy. People his age are in their final year of school before going to university.

He's a dead cert starter in the best league In the world.

CasaStreets

No idea why we’re making Casemiro the deepest midfielder when playing out from the back. Mainoo is far more suited to playing that De Jong role for Ten Hag. The midfield set up is a mess.
Mainoo not strong aerially and doesn’t make himself available enough to pick the ball up - both problems for playing deepest of the 3.

Casemiro has to win a lot of headers in front of defense and has been able to free himself up to receive more off the defense - even if his quality upon reception is lower

On that note, Mainoo will need to work on finding spaces and demanding the ball from the back line. Without that, I think we’re putting too much on Casemiro to be the sole outlet for the defense when playing out

CasaStreets

As I've said before he needs to learn how to move into the spaces where he becomes the right pass. This is what Casemiro does in order to get lots of touches. And perhaps he shouldnt do the exact same thing if Casemiro is doing it - usually offering himself deep to the backline, but he needs to learn to do something similar instead of waiting for the ball to come to him because often it wont and it will lead to having 34 touches like today. When Casemiro is playing and getting on the ball that much and doing the majority of the ball winning Mainoo's job tends to end up just running around doing the extra bits and we know he can do more than that which is why we ask to see it.

You can blame the tactics but for all their faults and weaker areas Casemiro and Fernandes know how to get on the ball and make lots of passes and get lots of touches. Those 2 and Lisandro average the most for us this season in those categories per 90 mins. And other than Fernandes the other 2 have been out with injury where even then our other players dont do the same. So they just arent as good with it or dont work as hard to get on the ball
Wow, hadn’t seen your post when I posted but yep, we had the exact same thought. Needs to find spaces and be the spare man more often - will have to add that to his toolkit over time.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Calm after the storm, he's a great player, no need to catastrophise, this season is a free hit for him. Should only be playing 1 in 3 or 2 max, so is being pushed beyond that due to our squad issues.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Should be eased in gradually but we're such a shambles that this talented kid has been thrown in at the deep end.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I can see him playing for England in the summer. He's exactly what that midfield needs.You play Foden and Bellingham together you leave too much for Rice to do on his own.

Strats

He's fecking 18.

Back in that day i was shoveling unreasonable amounts of snus under my lip.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He's 18 and being hung out to dry due his manager's tactical ineptitude and inability of his teammates to keep possession under any type of pressure.
He’s not. We definitely aren't great but he’s getting priceless experience. It’ll stand him in good stead next season when he has a regular partner with the legs to really help him out

lex talionis

The boy, perhaps already a man, should definitely be in the England squad. It's probably a year lor even two too early in his development to be a nailed on starter, but he should at least be on the bench in the event England need something in midfield to solidify things.

pascell

He hasn't played well in the last number of games. Concerning considering he started off so bright when he got his chance in the team.
He's clearly tiring, it's been a lot to expect of him and its his only season, in which he didn't get a full pre season due to injury. I think we can cut him a little slack given he's one of the only positives to come from this season, can't we.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He's the most press resistant player I've seen. That's gold dust in modern football.

led_scholes

I am sure even Scholes would look lost at some points with Bruno and McT next to him.

We need to find a cm to accomplish him.

Chip

How did you join in 2010 and not watch Cleverley?
Sorry, I forgot the white text.

But on a serious not it wouldn't surprise me if he somehow ends up on a similar career path to Cleverley. Or even worse - like Januzaj or Anderson.

He's clearly very talented, but lately we've had a knack of getting the worst out of young talents. He's been very impressive for his age for spells during the season, but I think it's too early to know if he's the real, real deal.