View full 2023-24 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Zed is not dead

What an incredible first half!

If anything, second half showed he needs to work on his athleticism. He still looks out of pace when running off the ball

Dannn411

Hopefully his emergence has shown the club brass what they need to aim for in midfield going forward. Start prioritising Mainoo regens in the academy. Look for Mainoo-type midfielders in the transfer market and we will be in a rock solid position come the new season.

Ollie Derbyshire

Excellent player with great potential and definitely someone to build a midfield around BUT he needs legs around him as his one downside is his lack of pace.

Mike Smalling

If was his first great performance in a little while, I thought. He's been more anonymous in his last few outings, but this was terrific.

There is something Iniesta-like about how he glides past players with body feints and quick feet.

Gordon S

As soon as Casemiro is out, this kid gets his right place and he shines like the star he is again.
Just keep Case on the bench going forward please.

eire-red

He's definitely better as the deepest lying midfielder, it allows him to come onto the game a bit more and play with a full view of the pitch. It's much harder to play a bit more advanced and revieve the ball on the half turn all the time.

Think a mobile CM who can also get forward and is good defensively like Douglas Luiz would be a great option to put beside Mainoo.

Golden Nugget

Brilliant first half. Best game I’ve seen from him so far, his footwork is excellent.

now if he can improve his stamina and keep this up for both halves, it’ll be great

Oldyella

Should be looking at players who can compliment him in midfield. He's that good.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He just looks slow when tracking back if he had an extra yard of pace his potential would be incredible.
I remember as an amateur I increased pace between 18 and 20, so hopefully he can do the same.

But i'd not worry about him. He needs to get a bit more strength and improved stamina, but again, it's his first half season in the set up really.

Ollie Derbyshire

I remember as an amateur I increased pace between 18 and 20, so hopefully he can do the same.

But i'd not worry about him. He needs to get a bit more strength and improved stamina, but again, it's his first half season in the set up really.
Absolutely, I’d 100% build the midfield around him, we are screaming out for more pace in there anyway.

The_Midfielder

He's definitely better as the deepest lying midfielder, it allows him to come onto the game a bit more and play with a full view of the pitch. It's much harder to play a bit more advanced and revieve the ball on the half turn all the time.

Think a mobile CM who can also get forward and is good defensively like Douglas Luiz would be a great option to put beside Mainoo.
Him, the Benefica kid and somebody physical like Onana( everton)

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Will Southgate take a risk for once in his life and bring him to the Euros? He surely worth a look for England in some of the summer tune-up games anyway. Incredible what he’s doing in his position for his age.

adamwest

There were a couple of jaw dropping moments from him today. That coupled with just how cool he is on the ball. My word this lad is special. Yes.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Will Southgate take a risk for once in his life and bring him to the Euros? He surely worth a look for England in some of the summer tune-up games anyway. Incredible what he’s doing in his position for his age.
I was just thinking he looks like the type of midfielder that will be overlooked by the national team. England loves its all-action box to box brutes in midfield, running around doing a whole lot of nothing. All that poise and technique he has will probably end up with him opting to play for Ghana whilst Southgate trots out Jordan Henderson and Kalvin Phillips. He'll probably pick James Milner before he picks a player like Mainoo.

Stadjer

Yes. Agree with all of that... but Jordan Henderson got an assist for Ajax in their 2-2 draw today (Akpom even a goal + assist!). So who do you think Southgate will bring to the Euros? :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That footwork in the first half :eek:

This kid is so special.
Been crying out for a player like this in our central midfield for years. Enviously looking at guys like D. Silva, B.Silva, Thiago, Pedri, Frenkie, Verratti etc. and wondering if/when we’d finally get one. And the one we finally do is one of our own :drool:

lex talionis

Unbelievable for a boy who hasn’t even had his first shave yet. There are only at most a half dozen clubs on the planet who would take a pass on him in their starting XI today.

RORY65

He's one of very few players in our squad who seems comfortable taking the ball in deep areas and his footwork at times was exceptional, I would hope that if we fix our midfield and close the gap between the defence and the attack over time so we have to spend less time in future years watching him chase opposing players back towards our own goal and more time watching how special he is on the ball.

Paddymcc

That phase of play in the first couple of minutes where he outmuscled a couple of Liverpool midfield players and burst forward I knew it was our day! What a player this lad already is!

Ballache

Supports
Martial
It's not even a risk tbh...He has been one of the best English cm's in the league this season.
Rice-Mainoo-Bellingham is as balanced a midfield you can get...literally has everything.

HJ12

The way he beats the press is a thing of beauty. Amazing composure and ability to create space from completely suffocated areas. I absolutely love watching him play.

Varun1

I don't understand why a United fan would want Southgate to take Mainoo to the Euros. A fresh Mainoo is better for us, besides, one shit game and the press will be all over him.
Unless you value England over United, which is fair.

Last edited:

Dannn411

I don't even want him to pick Mainoo. Let Mainoo continue his development out of the eyes of the national press.

luke511

I don't understand why a United fan would want Southgate to take Mainoo to the Euros. A fresh Mainoo is better for us, besides. one shit game and the press will be all over him.
Unless you value England over United, which is fair.
English utd fans exist.. A Rice, Mainoo, Bellingham midfield will be a sight to behold.

Pickle85

What's amazed me is how good his dribbling and close control are. Also a great short passer. Should be in the England squad tbh. My only concern is that he gets overplayed...he's so young and he's already quite an important player for us.