Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Genuinely, it’s him and Jonny Evans that have made this season any good

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That was a classy little display. England need a manager who wants to be the best, not someone who wants grafters with the odd talent.

VWW

Being from Stockport there’s actually a decent chance Mainoo grew up a City fan :lol:
i read in an recent Athletic article that his dad is a huge united fan. Didnt mention who Mainoo supported but they seemed to indicate that was one of the reasons for turning down city's advances (his dad).

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
i read in an recent Athletic article that his dad is a huge united fan. Didnt mention who Mainoo supported but they seemed to indicate that was one of the reasons for turning down city's advances (his dad).
Didn't Cole Palmer grow up a United fan and he is from around that area. The Keane brothers were from Stockport I think.

AndyMUFC

You saw what he can bring to England's midfield straight away. We don't have another player like him.

If it wasn't for his age, starting him in the Euros would be a no brainer.

jesperjaap

You saw what he can bring to England's midfield straight away. We don't have another player like him.

If it wasn't for his age, starting him in the Euros would be a no brainer.
I have said before he deserves a chance but doesnt start even disregarding his age....however, if expected we dont play Rice and Bellingham behind Foden, but Bellingham at 10.....then he actually already starts for me, Gallagher is a pressing machine....and an average player, that is all he has over Mainoo, Mainoo is twice the player already and what other options are there to start alongside Rice otherwise

Teja

Wouldn't over hype that performance because I thought he was mostly playing it safe. Composed, 2-3 decent passes to the man between the lines and one really nice turn.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Did he lose the ball once? He’s fantastic. Best youth talent since Scholes.
He passes through the lines so well, but more than anything he’s just a really intelligent, composed footballer. He’s the perfect foil for Rice and Bellingham.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Bellingham must have thought "thank feck we have a midfielder like that to play deep" tbh. The all energy but entirely average footballers like Gallagher really shouldn't be playing. Mainoo is the only one who can play a proper deep playmaker role for England, if Southgate was smart he'd fast track him into starting.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
That ball-carrying into looking lost and out of position schtick other players offer is not effective and very costly in terms of compromising their own team. Mainoo offers steady constructive build-up, high levels of ball retention and a more consummate way to play football for a nation that has struggled to do so since Gascoigne had the midfield reigns and basically forced the play along with his ability and presence.

It shouldn’t take another friendly to see how much he offers, and more importantly, the difference in what he does compared to everyone else. He’s the conduit linking defence and attack with the most casual ease - doesn’t need a hundred touches or some kind of exhausting run to achieve constructive, progressive things. England badly lack incision between the lines from deeper midfield, and he provides it in abundance.

A competent manager would see his utilisation as a no brainer.

OverratedOpinion

Wouldn't over hype that performance because I thought he was mostly playing it safe. Composed, 2-3 decent passes to the man between the lines and one really nice turn.
I think you need to look at that performance as a pretty clear microcosm of the lad. Will do the right sensible thing and give his team a basis to build then the moment they are in a position that the logical pass becomes impossible due to bad tactics or bad play from others he will produce moments of magic using his own talent to get them out of jail. He has been astoundingly consistent in these small pressure moments since he came through.

Came on as an 18 year old and instantly 2 of Chelsea and Arsenals players of the season looked at him to dictate the midfield.

OverratedOpinion

He is the player that Arsenal fans want to pretend Declan Rice is because he was a big signing and I will die on that hill.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He is the player that Arsenal fans want to pretend Declan Rice is because he was a big signing and I will die on that hill.
Rice and Mainoo are different players IMO.

I think Rice is wonderful as the anchor of a midfield, I don't think Mainoo can be that but Mainoo is a special special talent and is beyond Rice for sure I think Mainoo is one of those $120m+ talents that people fawn over in the transfer market.

OverratedOpinion

Rice and Mainoo are different players IMO.

I think Rice is wonderful as the anchor of a midfield, I don't think Mainoo can be that but Mainoo is a special special talent and is beyond Rice for sure I think Mainoo is one of those $120m+ talents that people fawn over in the transfer market.
They are different in that Mainoo is fairly significantly better. I think you personally would be surprised if you swapped the two that we would look even worse and Mainoo would do nearly all or the dirty work Rice does then would actually dictate the tempo from deep in the way people pretend Rice does because Mainoo is infinitely more intelligent as a footballer.

If Arsenal had Mainoo they would have brought another midfielder rather than Havertz cause they would have already had enough from deep.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
They are different in that Mainoo is fairly significantly better. I think you personally would be surprised if you swapped the two that we would look even worse and Mainoo would do nearly all or the dirty work Rice does then would actually dictate the tempo from deep in the way people pretend Rice does because Mainoo is infinitely more intelligent as a footballer.

If Arsenal had Mainoo they would have brought another midfielder rather than Havertz cause they would have already had enough from deep.
Think the main advantage Rice has is he can muscle people off the ball and has more aerial presence but that's about it.

From there its all Mainoo

OverratedOpinion

Think the main advantage Rice has is he can muscle people off the ball and has more aerial presence but that's about it.

I know you're agreeing with me for the most part but I must say, I am pretty sure of Mainoo and Rice competed in a shoulder challenge I'd back Mainoo despite Rice being a bit more lanky

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Has anyone ever likened them to each other? They literally have opposite strengths and weaknesses.
Pretty much that, I see Mainoo as a ball carrier that can pass a ball and retain possession, beat the press.

Swiss_Red89

I already love Kobbie but I feel we need to be a bit careful to not overhype him too much too early in here.

Declan Rice is a brilliant holding midfielder who has different attributes to Kobbie. They are different types of players.

OverratedOpinion

Has anyone ever likened them to each other? They literally have opposite strengths and weaknesses.
I've heard dozens and dozens of arsenal fans describe Rice as being a deep lying player who can dictate the tempo and has great technique and passing from deep yes. All of those things I believe Mainoo walks all over him even at the age of 18.

Also to say opposite skills I'd be hard pressed to name a skill Rice has that Mainoo hasn't shown outside of winning a few more headers.

RunTheTrap

Supports
Arsenal

We have to stop disrespecting established players with a long body of work. Rice has had at least seven years of top-flight football and is a starter for one of the best teams In the league. Mainoo is talented, but he is still young and developing. “More intelligent”, how so? Mainoo has a lot to learn when it comes to out-of-possession football. Let's not forget he got bullied by Newcastle's midfield. At least give Mainoo two seasons before comparing him to grown men.