g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Kyle Rittenhouse | Now crowdfunding LOLsuits against Whoopi Goldberg, LeBron James, and The Young Turks

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
This is where I disagree with you. A fully auto assault rifle is very destructive and not a minor gain.

For a mass shooting, I don't see that much of difference between an AR and a Glock 17 with some loaded magazines. At least not as much as an AR and a fully assault rifle.
You do realise the Las Vegas shooting (the deadliest in American history) was carried out with an AR-15?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
This is where I disagree with you. A fully auto assault rifle is very destructive and not a minor gain.

For a mass shooting, I don't see that much of difference between an AR and a Glock 17 with some loaded magazines. At least not as much as an AR and a fully assault rifle.
Rifles are much more accurate and targets far easier to acquire versus handguns.

Drainy

Rifles are much more accurate and targets far easier to acquire versus handguns.
A handgun is much better for personal protection, its more useable at close to intermediate range which is when you would be most threatened.

You're right that an AR-15 would be more useful if you are planning on firing from range.

However, handguns are much more useful for common armed crimes so are more restricted in law, from my understanding. That's why Rittenhouse was able to possess an AR-15 and not a pistol like he says he initially wanted.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
You do realise the Las Vegas shooting (the deadliest in American history) was carried out with an AR-15?
Right and if it was banned he would have used something else from the vast array of guns available.

Yes, but is the difference bigger than a fully auto gun? Also I've never used one but a glock with a micro roni kit could also cause some damage. Even sporting/hunting rifles with a good amount of ammo. I just feel the AR does not enable mass shootings that other guns which are currently legal do not. That said, I'm not against banning it. Just doubt it achieves much.

Halftrack

It's entirely circumstantial. There are situations were being able to go full-auto comes in handy, but assault rifles are primarily fired, and at their most effective, in semi-auto.

As for a Glock 17 vs an AR, the difference is huge. Range, power, target acquisition, ease of aiming, recoil, control. A Glock is easier to conceal and easier to use in tight areas, but that's about it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No? Your point about an AR being used had nothing to do with what I said between the advantage of an AR 15 and other guns.
I can’t be arsed even trying with you anymore, talk about bad faith arguments, it’s there for all to see.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
However, handguns are much more useful for common armed crimes so are more restricted in law, from my understanding. That's why Rittenhouse was able to possess an AR-15 and not a pistol like he says he initially wanted.
This isn't quite accurate. The judge retroactively interpreted a sloppily written law that was intended to allow 16 and 17-year-olds to use rifles when hunting to dismiss the illegal firearm charge.
First, there was no way untrained and under-experienced Rittenhouse could have known that that night and second, it was clearly against the intent and spirit of the law that does not allow a 17-year-old to walk around with nunchucks but supposedly does allow a 17-year-old to violate curfew and walk around the streets carrying an AR-15.

shamans

It's entirely circumstantial. There are situations were being able to go full-auto comes in handy, but assault rifles are primarily fired, and at their most effective, in semi-auto.

As for a Glock 17 vs an AR, the difference is huge. Range, power, target acquisition, ease of aiming, recoil, control. A Glock is easier to conceal and easier to use in tight areas, but that's about it.

skip to like 0:20 seconds and thats a glock with a kit on it. Even without this gimmick, a handgun with a bunch of magazines can absolutely result in mass shootings and deaths.

shamans

I can’t be arsed even trying with you anymore, talk about bad faith arguments, it’s there for all to see.
It's not my fault you are not following a logical discussion. I'm talking about an AR vs other guns. BTW the Orlando shooter that killed 50 people did not use an AR

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I honestly hope there is a hung jury and the new trial goes before a reasonable judge. It is almost criminal this judge used a provision for hunting to dismiss a charge that is related to carrying an AR15 at a protest that was known by the defendant to be a hostile event.

Halftrack

skip to like 0:20 seconds and thats a glock with a kit on it. Even without this gimmick, a handgun with a bunch of magazines can absolutely result in mass shootings and deaths.
I didn't say they couldn't, just that an AR-15 would do a much better job of it and gave the reasons why.
It's not my fault you are not following a logical discussion. I'm talking about an AR vs other guns. BTW the Orlando shooter that killed 50 people did not use an AR
You're right, he didn't use an AR. Instead, he used a Sig Sauer MCX, a different kind of 5.56 NATO rifle. It's essentially the same thing in this context, so not sure what point you were trying to make here.

Mike Smalling

Right and if it was banned he would have used something else from the vast array of guns available.
You were making a point about handguns being as deadly in mass shootings as rifles. In the Las Vegas shooting the killer shot from the 32nd floor to a festival on the ground floor - he would not have been able to hit a thing with a handgun from that distance.

Another example would be Aurora where the shooter used a 100-round drum magazine on his semi-automatic rifle, which he fired most of his shots from.

Dr. Dwayne

You are moving the goalposts here. Your initial reference was to a Glock 17 not a Glock 17 with an aftermarket accessory.

Dr. Dwayne

You're right, he didn't use an AR. Instead, he used a Sig Sauer MCX, a different kind of 5.56 NATO rifle. It's essentially the same thing in this context, so not sure what point you were trying to make here.
My gas operated semi-auto is different than your gas-operated semiauto :lol:

shamans

You are moving the goalposts here. Your initial reference was to a Glock 17 not a Glock 17 with an aftermarket accessory.
Well it was to show how destructive a Glock could get. But anyway,

My gas operated semi-auto is different than your gas-operated semiauto :lol:

The Virginia tech shooting -- 3rd deadliest in the nation used a semi automatic pistol. I think you both realize the point I'm making.

Dr. Dwayne

Well it was to show how destructive a Glock could get. But anyway,
Yes but that accessory fundamentally changes the Glock from a pistol to a short barrelled rifle. You;d be surprised at the difference in accuracy even a couple of inches of barrel provides.

The Virginia tech shooting -- 3rd deadliest in the nation used a semi automatic pistol. I think you both realize the point I'm making.
Sure but in that case the guy was at very close quarters. Pistols are very effective between 10 and 20 yards. After that their effectiveness drops off sharply for most users. While a 17 round Glock pistol magazine filled with 9mm certainly offers plenty of destructive firepower, a 30 round rifle magazine full of .223 or 5.56 carries much more destructive potential at close range or out to 200 yards (for average users).

Dr. StrangeHate

From what I understand Kyle didn't do anything wrong essentially because he did it in the US. Is there any other country in the world in which Kyle wouldn't be considered a murderer?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
If it is Hung, the judge can only ask them to deliberate more. The lead juror can say they are done. The judge is out if it. If it is a hung jury. The motion for mistrial by the defense is not a consideration with a hung jury. A mistrial due to Hung Jury is a different animal than a judge declaring mistrial.
The prosecution makes all decisions moving forward with a hung jury.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
When he's going to be eligible to run for presidency?

Wolverine

Feel for families of the dead, and also safety of left wing protestors from wannabe vigilante types now