Kylian Mbappe | Merci.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
If he goes to Saudi, he ain’t coming out of Saudi, at least until he’s washed up. They’ll keep upping their hand, too much money to resist.
Yup, if he takes that offer now, he is not going to go back to Europe for a fraction of the money.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
How can you consider yourself one of the best players in the world, if not the best, and not want to try it out in the Premier League is beyond me. If you want to prove yourself against the best players in the world week in and week out there is only one league to go to, but if your looking for easy trophies and sunshine then I guess Real and Barca is the place to go.
Yeah he's won a world cup and scored a hattrick as a losing finalist, but he hasn't won away at Luton.

The prem is even more one-sided than la liga right now if he's looking for easy trophies.

Ronaldo's Love Child

This says more about players then the game as a whole.

It's one thing when players in the twilight of their careers may have their heads turned by a mega bucks deal playing in the desert but Ruben Neves' move was the first time my ears pricked up and I though WTF is he thinking?

Is the game facing an existential crisis? Are footballers sportsmen who yearn to compete, to test themselves against better teams and ultimately to win trophies or is it simply about earning as much money as possible?

We have seen it before with Chinese transfers and then that fell flat on it's face.

The Saudis and Gulf States are scrambling around trying to diversify from oil, a finite resource, and ambitions of creating their own domestic elite competition is fanciful. Older players aside, are we to believe that footballers would rather sacrifice the chance of winning the Champions League and simply bank coin instead?

If so, then it is GAME OVER

We need an rvn

Someone earlier created a thread about messi’s number one goal has always been about money and football second and being criticised for going to the mls at 36 etc.

mbappe has already taken this to a whole new ballgame with his contracts at psg, he takes this Saudi deal then he should definitely be saying this about Mbappe

cyberman

If he goes to Saudi, he ain’t coming out of Saudi, at least until he’s washed up. They’ll keep upping their hand, too much money to resist.
There’s nothing stopping him going there for 10 years then buy United as a retirement plan.
It’s absurd

Crimson King

I worry that if he does accept the Saudi offer then PSG will just drop €100m on Højlund, because they can, and then we're back to the drawing board. I know people are split on him anyway, but he's obviously who the manager has currently settled on.

However, it's probably much more likely that they'll try to sign Kane, although not sure he'd go there.

Anyway, the ripple effects of this deal could influence a lot of other moves.

TsuWave

And second thing is that i do not think Ten Hag would like a player wich could potentially bring that much attention with him to unsettle the squad and their focus.
I don't know where you guys get that from - each time we've been linked with a high profile player Ten Hag has been more than welcoming to the idea (Ronaldo, Neymar etc). Managers want to work with the best players and more often than not these are high profile players. This whole idea of a manager not wanting a player that brings too much attention and unsettles the squad is something that mostly exists on internet forums. I have a theory it's because posters think it makes the manager come off as more "serious" or something silly like that.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I kind of felt the resurgence in Kane stories was a warning to Atalanta more than anything. If you are going to quote us big money for Hojlund, we might as well move for Kane. The Mbappe story was obviously a non-starter, we don't have €300m to spend.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think the whole concept behind offering him 700m a year is that it's just going to last a year. Not even Saudis can afford to spunk 4 billion on one player if they were to keep him for 5-6 years.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
I think the whole concept behind offering him 700m a year is that it's just going to last a year. Not even Saudis can afford to spunk 4 billion on one player if they were to keep him for 5-6 years.
Sure they can. It will be a 1-way trip. They’ll just keep throwing money at him for ‘just 1 more year’. He’ll be effectively retiring from top level football if he accepts. Not to mention it will hinder his development and he’ll be wasting his prime years.

L1nk

“Is” refers to the present tense. No guarantee what is true today will be true tomorrow.
Right but.. What exactly is going to change? Even if the ownership happened tomorrow it still wouldn't be done in time for the transfer window. We aren't pulling out incredible sums of cash from our ass to make these deals happen.

You don't seriously believe we are in for Mbappe do you? Come on. Mbappe would be an extremely financially reckless aquisition from our stand point considering the sums involved and the the guy will eventually go to Real Madrid regardless of what we want.

AlexUTD

I don't know where you guys get that from - each time we've been linked with a high profile player Ten Hag has been more than welcoming to the idea (Ronaldo, Neymar etc). Managers want to work with the best players and more often than not these are high profile players. This whole idea of a manager not wanting a player that brings too much attention and unsettles the squad is something that mostly exists on internet forums. I have a theory it's because posters think it makes the manager come off as more "serious" or something silly like that.
Its called giving diplomatic answers. Ten Hag praised De Gea many times last year, did he keep him?

Not everything managers say is what they really think when getting asked questions.

chamartin

Mbappe's PR team is top-notch. He will arrive in Madrid as a hero who rejected immoral amount of money from Arabia. At the same time , in the eyes of PSG supporters he will look as a boy who was pushed out from the club, even though he wanted to stay. I must say it's a great strategy.

windycityfan

Saudis have stupid money. I don’t know if they can afford to sustain or exceed that over the course of 3, 4, or 5 years, but I can guarantee you they aren’t throwing these Monopoly figures around just for a 1-year binge. Stay tuned.

lex talionis

Right but.. What exactly is going to change? Even if the ownership happened tomorrow it still wouldn't be done in time for the transfer window. We aren't pulling out incredible sums of cash from our ass to make these deals happen.

You don't seriously believe we are in for Mbappe do you? Come on. Mbappe would be an extremely financially reckless aquisition from our stand point considering the sums involved and the the guy will eventually go to Real Madrid regardless of what we want.
I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. Ronaldo and Casemiro came out of nowhere. There will be more “out of nowhere” players who will sign for United.

That said, I’m not interested in Mbappe. Brilliant though he is, he’s a headcase that would undermine what ETH is building.

SoCross

Crazy if this goes through. Surely someone has to intervene?
This move if it happens at that fee will break football.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It's one thing when players in the twilight of their careers may have their heads turned by a mega bucks deal playing in the desert but Ruben Neves' move was the first time my ears pricked up and I though WTF is he thinking?

Is the game facing an existential crisis? Are footballers sportsmen who yearn to compete, to test themselves against better teams and ultimately to win trophies or is it simply about earning as much money as possible?
These things have happened before. Oscar moved from Chelsea to China. Hulk played in Russia and China for most of his prime. Sebastian Giovinco left Juventus to become the highest-paid Italian footballer at Toronto FC.

Beyond them, there's been lots and lots of "unknown" South American players who don't play much in Europe and instead make brief moves to the Middle East to make their money.

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
The biggest problem for European clubs trying to sign Mbappé is that you will have the whole "is he going to Madrid"-saga every single transfer window he's at the club.

redIndianDevil

IMO Mbappe is too greedy. Fair play to him for making PSG bend over backwards and brought them to this situation. He is young enough to not play this year and get loads of money in signing on fee and score goals for Madrid next season. PSG should not have offered such a weak contract to him.

Red00012

As much as i would like to see Mbappe in a red United shirt, i would not hold my breath cause Castles have not been right about anything United related since Mourinho was the manager.

And second thing is that i do not think Ten Hag would like a player whic could potentially bring that much attention with him to unsettle the squad and their focus.
He’s more or less said he’ll welcome back MG if the situation happened?

Appletonred

We are not in for elite players (we should be) such as Mbappe and Kane because of the owners not surprisingly, wages probably not an issue but the transfer fees are simply not going to be endorsed by owners who prefer to take money out of the club for themselves, its frustrating, and makes a mockery of this mythical label of us being the biggest club in the world, if we were then we would be pulling up trees for such signings, cheers Joel/Avram.

antk

why would they when he could join them for free next season?
They paid a similar fee for Hazard a few years ago when he had a year left of contract. Mbappé is a way better player than he was at this point. If anything, 100M€ looks like a bargain market-wise (see Kane's reported pricetag for example).

cyberman

They paid a similar fee for Hazard a few years ago when he had a year left of contract. Mbappé is a way better player than he was at this point. If anything, 100M€ looks like a bargain market-wise (see Kane's reported pricetag for example).
Hazard told them either bid or he’d sign the extension with a Chelsea so it wasn’t really one year left

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
IMO Mbappe is too greedy. Fair play to him for making PSG bend over backwards and brought them to this situation. He is young enough to not play this year and get loads of money in signing on fee and score goals for Madrid next season. PSG should not have offered such a weak contract to him.
Yeah, everyone keeps saying that, year after year.