g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Kylian Mbappe | PSG

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
This thread feels like a massive overreaction. How many players haven't had poor international tournaments in their career? He is incredible, a top 10 player and missing a few chances in a last 16 game won't change that.

Also, why are people saying he needs to get away from Neymar because he's become too selfish on the pitch? The guy's one of the best players in the world and totally a team player.
A lot of people have very short memories and like to be prisoners of the moment. And re your question about players that haven’t had poor international tournaments, the answer is zero. No matter how good they are. That’s football

crossy1686

career ending
He was talking about PSG and Mbappé's camp being in the middle of a contract negotiation and that things were going well. I get that people always want to make dubious comments when it comes to people from the gulf but come on.
Are they in negotiations? How long has that been going on for? I was referring to the comments he made the other week about Mbappe not being allowed to leave, I get that he probably means it in more of a "we'll do whatever we can to keep him" way and less of a "we own you, you're not leaving" kind of way but it doesn't sound great.

crossy1686

career ending
He was talking about PSG and Mbappé's camp being in the middle of a contract negotiation and that things were going well. I get that people always want to make dubious comments when it comes to people from the gulf but come on.
I mean, look at this:

PSG president Nasser Al Khelaifi: “I will be clear. Kylian Mbappé will continue here at Paris Saint-Germain, we will never sell him and he will never leave the club as a free agent. Impossible”
He doesn't get to decide any of that, it's all down to Mbappe.

Pep's Suit

At PSG he worked with some of the most successful managers of last 8-9 years but don't think he actually improved there. It's time to challenge himself in a better league but damn... He's so arrogant and egoistic, can't stand him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I mean, look at this:

He doesn't get to decide any of that, it's all down to Mbappe.
You see that's the problem and I don't blame you, your quote is what Romano posted on twitter but he conveniently didn't give the rest of the sentence where Nasser says that they are negotiating and it's going well. That's the context of the first part, he was expressing confidence in keeping Mbappé beyond 2022. It could be misplaced confidence or an attempt to maintain appearances but it's not about him deciding for Mbappé.

crossy1686

career ending
What are people basing the arrogant or egotistical take on? I haven't seen it myself but I haven't really seen him outside of CL games. Genuinely interested in why people have this take on him.

I get the impression he's trying to be the world class player everyone thinks he can be but he's young and making mistakes as he goes. Like when he steps up to take France's last penalty and misses it looks arrogant but the reality is he probably didn't have much of a say in the matter.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A 180m player is going to walk away for nothing at 23 years of age. That's going to be painful.

RoyH1

A 180m player is going to walk away for nothing at 23 years of age. That's going to be painful.
I don't think he's going to leave. Qatar will throw Messi money at him and his entire family. No way they can afford the loss of face of having their French superstar leaving them for what he sees as greener sporting pastures. That would undermine their entire plan of debunking Real and Barsa as every players dream destination.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think he's going to leave. Qatar will throw Messi money at him and his entire family. No way they can afford the loss of face of having their French superstar leaving them for what he sees as greener sporting pastures. That would undermine their entire plan of debunking Real and Barsa as every players dream destination.
I don't know if it's their plan, I don't think that they have any focus on Barcelona and Real Madrid, it's all about being the best themselves like every other club.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Sarcasm? Not often you see fans from different leagues actually maintain such opinions about their leagues
No sarcam, just intellectual honesty.

He is a fantastic player because he is somebody impatient and ambitious: he is always looking for new challenges and that is why he left Monaco because it was boring to play for them.

Henry, Platini, Zidane.. all become great players because they joined new clubs abroad.

JPRouve

Scout

He is a fantastic player because he is somebody impatient and ambitious: he is always looking for new challenges and that is why he left Monaco because it was boring to play for them.

Henry, Platini, Zidane.. all become great players because they joined new clubs abroad.
Platini was a great player before joining Juventus, in fact he joined Juventus at 27 years old because he was a great player. Zidane was also already a great player at 24 when he moves to Juventus of course as most 24 years old do he improved.
But here is why it's fallacy, your assumption would insinuate that a player in the Serie A would without a doubt develop at a better rate than a player in Ligue 1 which is clearly not true.

Now when you take Mbappé and Monaco, moving makes sense because Monaco do not match Mbappé's ambition, they are a selling club, the same would apply to Tottenham, Dortmund or Roma but if Mbappé is at PSG, he is in the same situation than a player that is at Bayern or Juventus. Have players less chance to become great at Bayern or Juventus?

Spoony

The People's President

Do you think he'd do well at United?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
And hilarious, don't forget that also
Especially when the owner doesn't think Mbappe has the right walk away on a free. He's been saying that Mbappe won't be sold and he won't be leaving on a free. I think he's in for a rude awakening.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Have players less chance to become great at Bayern or Juventus?
With respect to their football ability, no. With respect to their legacy and becoming an all-time great - yes most probably. Zidane could've been exactly the same player quality wise throughout his career, he wouldn't have had the status or legacy that he has right now if he hadn't moved to Real.

NK86

With respect to their football ability, no. With respect to their legacy and becoming an all-time great - yes most probably. Zidane could've been exactly the same player quality wise throughout his career, he wouldn't have had the status or legacy that he has right now if he hadn't moved to Real.
You're joking, right? You're saying the top top players from Italy are not legends?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
You're joking, right? You're saying the top top players from Italy are not legends?
Depends on who you're talking about. Difficult to compare since the Serie A was the best (or amongst the best) league in the world in the past, so easier to become a legend in such circumstances. Of course the players of Milan some twenty years ago are legends and all that. But that's not comparable to Mbappé's situation imo - the French league is a step below the top leagues and not one where you'd expect the world's best player (if he ever aspires to be that) to play, let alone spend his entire career.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
What are people basing the arrogant or egotistical take on? I haven't seen it myself but I haven't really seen him outside of CL games. Genuinely interested in why people have this take on him.

I get the impression he's trying to be the world class player everyone thinks he can be but he's young and making mistakes as he goes. Like when he steps up to take France's last penalty and misses it looks arrogant but the reality is he probably didn't have much of a say in the matter.
Imho he's putting himself under too much pressure as if he's forced to win the Ballon d'Or this or next year hence he's trying way to hard -> making things simple but effective isn't enough anymore resulting in lots of unforced errors on the pitch, ergo being egoistical by putting himself over the team. His behaviour on the pitch can look arrogant and he rather often puts on a drama act if substituted (don't want to handshake with Tuchel for example), he got criticized by the French press for example when he looked totally pissed when he got subbed in the last friendly pre Euro while France was leading like 4:0..things like that.

Personally I think he's quite a nice bloke (don't know him personally of course tho) but his eagerness to become THE player of the world asap is rather hindering his development on and off the pitch. Being the only real superstar in the league next to Neymar isn't good for him as well I guess as a little less spotlight wouldn't be too bad for his own good.

JPRouve

Scout
That's a very interesting point and where I have an issue as a Football fan and someone that likes Football history. Narratives are taking more and more place instead of reality and that's a bit disappointing, I would expect that on twitter but not so much on a football forum filled with knowledgeable people. I put zero value in these hollow perceptions, Zidane didn't become a better player at 29 years old after joining Real Madrid, Serie A was as good as La Liga at the time, yet what you wrote is true, the perception would have been different.

NK86

Depends on who you're talking about. Difficult to compare since the Serie A was the best (or amongst the best) league in the world in the past, so easier to become a legend in such circumstances. Of course the players of Milan some twenty years ago are legends and all that. But that's not comparable to Mbappé's situation imo - the French league is a step below the top leagues and not one where you'd expect the world's best player (if he ever aspires to be that) to play, let alone spend his entire career.
I was talking about the likes of Bayern and Juve as they were the teams mentioned by JP. However, if it is PSG you're mentioning, then definitely he won't be remembered as a true legend playing for them.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
And you can still become a legend in your own domestic league of course (see recent Bayern players), but most of them won multiple CLs and a World Cup. They are legends, but e.g. Schweinsteiger, let's say he moved to United five years earlier in his prime, and also won some leagues and a CL with them. That would've elevated his status even further imo, from a legend to one of the game's all-time greats. Small margins at that level but it makes a difference.

JPRouve

Scout
I think that he has a point about the perception, there is no logic from a Football standpoint but playing for Real Madrid elevates your status and leaving it diminishes it. An example is Seedorf, if Seedorf remained at Real Madrid, he would have been remembered way more than he currently is.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
His Euro was correct: he played a key role in most of the goals goals scored by France.
Because they are parrots or don't like people who are self confident.
I watch PSG quite regularly, and whilst I think he's talented, I'm also sceptical about the pedestal people have quickly put him on. He has a long way to go before he's 'heir apparent' to Ronaldo or Messi. Heck, I'd have Ronaldo from 2006/07 over any Mbappe that I've seen so far. So comparing him to Henry, both Ronaldos, Messy et al is just mental. Let see where he is when he joins Madrid and what he does in La Liga where level is higher and the pressure to win is through the roof.
There are some debates and discussions because of his stats

The Top Ten Highest Goalscorers At 21 For Club And Country

1.) Ronaldo Nazario - 167 goals in 185 appearances
2.) Neymar - 140 goals in 227 appearances
3.) Kylian Mbappe - 116 goals in 199 appearances
4.) Sergio Aguero - 84 goals in 213 appearances
5.) Michael Owen - 76 goals in 156 appearances
6.) Wayne Rooney - 66 goals in 212 appearances
7.) Karim Benzema - 62 goals in 143 appearances
8.) Lionel Messi - 51 goals in 140 appearances
9.) Cristiano Ronaldo - 36 goals in 182 appearances
10.) Thierry Henry - 31 goals in 134 appearances

This maybe is the best thing that could have happened to him. I don’t think he’s comfortable on his pedestal, the guy has constantly outdone himself season after season and is clearly the best young player in the world, but this is the first major disappointment of his career on a global scale, where people are going to mock him and knowing the kind of mentality he has, I think he’s going to come out even better than if he had found success with France at the Euro. You tend to learn a lot more from your failures than successes anyways.
Spot on as always
Name a top French player of the past 20 years that didn’t improve in Spain, Italy or England.
Henry, Vieira, Pires, Zidane and about a hundred more all massively improved their games outside of France. Kante, Benzema, every French player worth their salt has moved abroad and seriously improved their game.
Yes, you're right
I think Mbappe is superior to Henry at the same age, will become a better player and usually defend his CL and international records when others piss on him here. But Henry had a very good Euro 2000 and tore that great Italian defence - Cannavaro, Nesta, Maldini - a new hole in the final. And his 2005/06 Champions League campaign was outstanding, almost single handedly knocking out Real Madrid and Juventus to drag a past-its-best Arsenal side to the final.
Yes!
Has he always been this lazy off the ball?
Doesn't seem interested in pressing for club or country.
This a fair concern in the big games.
Yes and that's the reason why France played a 4231/433 hybrid in 2018. His fullback his done, if Mbappé is supposed to help him. And when people compare Neymar and Mbappé workrate, it's night and day.
Neymar does more but these two players don't like to defend while a player like Henry was more aggressive off the ball
Worth pointing out that at Euro84 Platini scored 9 goals in 5 games and he wasn't even a centre forward.

Mbappe is overhyped and has done feck all really to justify the hype machine. Though he has plenty of time to improve.

I dont think he will reach Ronaldo/Messi level. Maybe a level below that or two.
Please look at the stats above
He doesn't need to leave the French league to improve. That's my simple take.
He needs a new challenge to improve, which is a different narrative
He's obviously a massive talent and already a brilliant player. Most exciting young player I have seen come through since Messi/Ronaldo. That's not to say he's their level....he isn't, but he generates that level of excitement in his promise.

I do feel he is developing an obvious attitude problem though, and I think that will be a big problem for him down the road. He is in a small closed environment where domestic dominance is all but guaranteed and there is little to challenge him year on year to go to the next level. He absolutely needs to move. If he goes to Spain or England he will go up a level. I feel in the last couple of years he has stopped doing the things that made him good in the first place, and the things he's added to his game aren't universally positive. But the qualities that make him great are still there. He just needs a more challenging environment and an attitude check.

Ironically, the personal failure of his Euros might be the best thing that's happened to him.
The only weakness is he tends to be overly confident and, as a result, do less that he can do or lose his focus or appetite.
Why did Juve let a world class talent go then?

If Wenger didn't buy him and change his position, give him belief and the style of play to suit, he probably wouldn't have been the same player.

He scored 17 goals first season because of Wenger surely?
Juventus made a profit of +50% in 6 months and I read he had an argument with Agnelli iirc
I don't understand the talk about him having a bad tournament. Two of Frances three goals against Switzerland were Mbappe assists or hockey assists. If the french hadn't gotten arrogant they would be in the quarters now having won 3-1, hardly a fault of Mbappe. But I do agree he felt the pressure, I knew as soon as he picked up the ball he would miss his penalty. It was obvious beforehand he was desperate to break his duck. But he was in no way shape or form bad, the opposing team had to always stay honest when defending against him.

It's just that we expect a 22 year old to carry PSG, France and the mantle of best in the world post Messi & Ronaldo but it's a much to heavy burden for some one that young (who wrongly feels he needs to be the savior).

Brazilian Ronaldo collapsed at 21 in the 1998 final, Maradona at 22 saw red as his Argentina crashed out of the tournament in 1982, Cristiano Ronaldo at 23 missed a decisive penalty in the Champions League final in 2008, Messi at 23 scored 0 goals in the 2010 World Cup as Argentina were trashed 4-0 by Germany.

If Mbappe is anything like the rest of the lot he will find new resolve and perhaps learn to calm down before it's his turn in Euro 2024 and WC 2026 when he is 26-28 and able to carry the burden. The pressure in this tournament (and the WC 2022) should have been on Pogba, Griezmann, Benzema, Kante, Varane - experienced players.
Good post
A lot of people have very short memories and like to be prisoners of the moment. And re your question about players that haven’t had poor international tournaments, the answer is zero. No matter how good they are. That’s football
Yes

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Platini was a great player before joining Juventus, in fact he joined Juventus at 27 years old because he was a great player. Zidane was also already a great player at 24 when he moves to Juventus of course as most 24 years old do he improved.
But here is why it's fallacy, your assumption would insinuate that a player in the Serie A would without a doubt develop at a better rate than a player in Ligue 1 which is clearly not true.

Now when you take Mbappé and Monaco, moving makes sense because Monaco do not match Mbappé's ambition, they are a selling club, the same would apply to Tottenham, Dortmund or Roma but if Mbappé is at PSG, he is in the same situation than a player that is at Bayern or Juventus. Have players less chance to become great at Bayern or Juventus?
Platini was a great player in France but became a legend in Italy.

Zidane: If you compare his Euro 96 when he was a Bordeaux player with his WC98 or Euro 2000, it's obvious he improved.

Kylian needs to change of scene and will be more inclined to do more on and be more ambitious if he leaves France. He has nothing to prove in France. He is the best scorer by a mile.

You know the French players: they are more inclined to complain in France about everything (trainings, efforts) than when they play abroad.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
That's a very interesting point and where I have an issue as a Football fan and someone that likes Football history. Narratives are taking more and more place instead of reality and that's a bit disappointing, I would expect that on twitter but not so much on a football forum filled with knowledgeable people. I put zero value in these hollow perceptions, Zidane didn't become a better player at 29 years old after joining Real Madrid, Serie A was as good as La Liga at the time, yet what you wrote is true, the perception would have been different.
Zidane became a better player by joining the Juve :)

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Do you think he'd do well at United?
Even if I believe he won't escape Madrid, I would love to see him in Manchester, I would love him in Manchester in order to rebalance the premier League

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
At PSG he worked with some of the most successful managers of last 8-9 years but don't think he actually improved there. It's time to challenge himself in a better league but damn... He's so arrogant and egoistic, can't stand him.
I watched a video of foreign footballers speaking English, he said '"I joined PSG to win lots of titles, I came here at 18 and I was talented but not a superstar, and now I am a superstar".

Basically he has let all the hype go to his head and he is now egotistical and arrogant. Most top players don't say that they are a superstar. For me that attitude is why I think Haaland and others will be better than him in a few years. Mbappe has not improved as much as he should have either since joining PSG.

JPRouve

Scout
Platini was a great player in France but became a legend in Italy.

Zidane: If you compare his Euro 96 when he was a Bordeaux player with his WC98 or Euro 2000, it's obvious he improved.

Kylian needs to change of scene and will be more inclined to do more on and be more ambitious if he leaves France. He has nothing to prove in France. He is the best scorer by a mile.

You know the French players: they are more inclined to complain in France about everything (trainings, efforts) than when they play abroad.
Platini being perceived as a legend has nothing to do with improving as a player which is the only thing I care about. And Zidane was 24 in 1996, he was going to improve wherever he was, it had nothing to do with leaving Bordeaux.
Zidane became a better player by joining the Juve :)
That's more reasonable, if you consider that joining Lippi and Juventus in particular was a good developmental move. That's a totally different thing than make the ridiculous point that leaving a particular league will see you develop as if all Serie A players had a better chance to fulfill their potential whoever they are and wherever they play.
Now if we apply that to Mbappé there is a question about PSG being the ideal environment, similarly there was a question about Juventus being the ideal environment for Henry or Milan for Vieira.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Needs out of PSG ASAP. Complete waste and pointless club. If he goes to Real he'd elevate his level and really test himself.

dinostar77

Hes already been house hunting in Madrid so his mind is made up. Either PSG get a fee this summer or nothing next summer. Hes going to madrid regardless.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think that he has a point about the perception, there is no logic from a Football standpoint but playing for Real Madrid elevates your status and leaving it diminishes it. An example is Seedorf, if Seedorf remained at Real Madrid, he would have been remembered way more than he currently is.
I was having a discussion with another poster regarding Neymar, and how he was perceived by the general footballing world. I think by playing in the French league, to a segment of the footballing world his legacy will be slightly diminished, compared to him having stayed at Barcelona, or moved to Madrid, while still keeping up the performances he has given for PSG.

This is to say nothing about ability or development though. I think it’s perfectly plausible that he can stay at PSG and progress as much as he can. This season he had some stunning performances in Europe, and is playing for an ambitious team. That does bring us back to the perception of some slightly, as despite those brilliant performances, after a mild euros the knives are out already.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Platini being perceived as a legend has nothing to do with improving as a player which is the only thing I care about. And Zidane was 24 in 1996, he was going to improve wherever he was, it had nothing to do with leaving Bordeaux.

That's more reasonable, if you consider that joining Lippi and Juventus in particular was a good developmental move. That's a totally different thing than make the ridiculous point that leaving a particular league will see you develop as if all Serie A players had a better chance to fulfill their potential whoever they are and wherever they play.
Now if we apply that to Mbappé there is a question about PSG being the ideal environment, similarly there was a question about Juventus being the ideal environment for Henry or Milan for Vieira.
Platini joined Italy in 1982 and his best performances with France were in 1984 with 13 goals in 10 games. You may argue that Platini in 1982 was better in terms of overall game than in 1984: obviously I don't know the answer

However, it's difficult to believe he didn't improve his game when he joined players like , Scirea, Gentile, Boniek etc.... Winning the European cup with them... playing each week against players like Maradona, Maldini, Baresi, Rummenige etc

Kylian is 22 years old, an automatic starter since the age of 17 or 18.

Vieira joined Milan at the age of 18 or 19 from Cannes and wasn't ready. The competition was tough in a team that played a 442 system. In other words he had to compete with Desailly (who was a central midfielder at this time) and Albertini an established Italian guy since a long time. Vieira came too early.

Henry was sometimes deployed as a left Wing back in a 3-5-2 tactical system...

Henry and Vieira struggled in Italy and were made to play in England! Kylian never struggled.

As a psg fan, I would like him to stay one year and win the champions League next year before he leaves the country as the ultimate national champion.

As a football fan, I am curious to know how he will evolve in Spain or England.