Kylian Mbappe | PSG

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I'm sure Klopp wouldn't say no to such a player, but he would have to adjust his playstyle, Mbappe is the laziest attacker around, he works less off the ball than 35 year old Messi.
One less player to be part of his pressing style, but i'm sure it would be worth it overall for his contributions in attack though.
I agree with you, but that first part is key. Klopp isn't saying no to Mbappe for 12 months.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I reckon he stays at PSG and makes them pay, both figuratively and literally.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I dunno if I'm missing another thread but I'm surprised at how little Mbappé's performances are discussed on here - maybe it's being addressed in the Ligue 1 thread or in transfer ones though.

I'm curious to see how he plays tonight after the recent events with PSG.

RoyH1

I dunno if I'm missing another thread but I'm surprised at how little Mbappé's performances are discussed on here - maybe it's being addressed in the Ligue 1 thread or in transfer ones though.

Very few people outside of France watch Ligue 1. It's only when he's playing in the CL or the national team that his thread blows up

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

I think with both Neymar and Messi gone, PSG feels more irrelevant than they have been in a long time. Its limited how much people outside france want to pay to watch ligue 1.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I think with both Neymar and Messi gone, PSG feels more irrelevant than they have been in a long time. Its limited how much people outside france want to pay to watch ligue 1.
Oh I barely watch Ligue 1 myself but I'm genuinely interested at how little is talked about a player that is usually considered by most in the top 3 in the world when apparently no one actually watches him. He's been poor since his decision to end things with PSG was announced, by the way.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid

I get hit over the head with stats every time I bring it up but I feel he isn’t as good as he was a season or two ago. Seems to have stagnated in his development. Fearing we’re in for another Kaka/Hazard scenario…

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Ligue One has ceased to be a genuine challenge for him. He seem to only be truly up for UCL games. Domestically he seems to hardly break a sweat to slay oppenents resulting in PSG getting a bit too addicted to him winning games for them. That is why Enrique's recent approach has been novel. I also believe after talks Mbappe has seen the sense in it.

tomaldinho1

How many on here genuinely watch Ligue1/PSG regularly?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ligue One has ceased to be a genuine challenge for him. He seem to only be truly up for UCL games. Domestically he seems to hardly break a sweat to slay oppenents resulting in PSG getting a bit too addicted to him winning games for them. That is why Enrique's recent approach has been novel. I also believe after talks Mbappe has seen the sense in it.
It does feel that way at times. Like if you dropped him on Lorient, they'd beat PSG to the title

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Btw it’s called the McDonald’s League 1 going forward. And no I’m not making that up.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Btw it’s called the McDonald’s League 1 going forward. And no I’m not making that up.
Domino's (Ligue 2), Uber Eats and now McDonald's. KFC next !

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Exaggeration.
I said "felt like", not that it could happen. Of course Lorient wouldn't win the league with Mbappé. Though tbf, I'm not sure PSG would win it without him either

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I said "felt like", not that it could happen. Of course Lorient wouldn't win the league with Mbappé. Though tbf, I'm not sure PSG would win it without him either
They are a massive superpower vs all the rest of the league. They'd replace him with another top 15 player in the world and yeah they'd still smash most of the league.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They are a massive superpower vs all the rest of the league. They'd replace him with another top 15 player in the world and yeah they'd still smash most of the league.
True enough. They spent the last 3-4 years aggressively trying to build around him so it stands to reason they might look incomplete without him right now

Kinda like Zidane's Madrid with Cristiano in 17/18(until Bale woke up)

MiceOnMeth

Mbappe is now 5 goals behind Henry in all time champions league goals and has played 40 games less :eek:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
True enough. They spent the last 3-4 years aggressively trying to build around him so it stands to reason they might look incomplete without him right now

Kinda like Zidane's Madrid with Cristiano in 17/18(until Bale woke up)
The team isn't built around Mbappé at all, otherwise we'd have far better passers that can accurately target him deep in transition. Instead, we have bang average midfielders with very little technical abilities that wouldn't start in any other top club.

The team will look incomplete without him because its just not very good and it'll be more obvious when he's gone unless we recruit adequate players.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
The team isn't built around Mbappé at all, otherwise we'd have far better passers that can accurately target him deep in transition. Instead, we have bang average midfielders with very little technical abilities that wouldn't start in any other top club.

The team will look incomplete without him because its just not very good and it'll be more obvious when he's gone unless we recruit adequate players.
And a better manager.

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
In terms of optics, McDonalds is a much funnier sponsor than Barclays for a sports league. It's actually a pretty solid Always Sunny gag.
Can I offer you a nice Big MAC in this trying time?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
And a better manager.
At least Enrique has some kind of authority (unlike Galtier). While I do agree we need a better manager, I'll take Enrique for a couple of years to break stubborn players a bit before someone with a more modern approach of the game takes over. Then we'll see who's on the market.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The team isn't built around Mbappé at all, otherwise we'd have far better passers that can accurately target him deep in transition.
I didn't say it was built well ;)

It's a very deliberate choice to have a team made up mostly of pacey ball carriers and playmakers, built for transition, with Mbappé acting as the sole outlet for goals. This isn't a team meant to play collective football. It's 10 dudes who are there to allow the 11th to do his thing, score goals and win games

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Christ he's good. Sublime goals both of them.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I didn't say it was built well ;)

It's a very deliberate choice to have a team made up mostly of pacey ball carriers and playmakers, built for transition, with Mbappé acting as the sole outlet for goals. This isn't a team meant to play collective football. It's 10 dudes who are there to allow the 11th to do his thing, score goals and win games
Playmakers? We have absolutely no playmaker in this team, that's our biggest issue ! There's no creativity since Neymar/Verratti/Messi are gone.

And we didn't recruit only pacey players, Gonzalo Ramos is pretty slow, so is Kang In Lee, but they're just not very good (even if I have hopes for Ramos).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Playmakers? We have absolutely no playmaker in this team, that's our biggest issue ! There's no creativity since Neymar/Verratti/Messi are gone.

And we didn't recruit only pacey players, Gonzalo Ramos is pretty slow, so is Kang In Lee, but they're just not very good (even if I have hopes for Ramos).
Ramos I figure was supposed to be the alternative to Mbappé(as in, the guy offering a different way of playing), though I'm genuinely baffled by the signing. Kang In Lee is business(make money in Asia), and Kolo Muani a desperate plee to convince Mbappé to stay.

And it's not true you have no playmakers. Dembele, Vitinha, Zaire-Emery, Fabian, Hakimi, Nuno Mendes, Barcola are all playmakers. Just of a different sort from Neymar/Verratti(and also aside from the erratic Dembele, not even in the same galaxy in ability)

But the point here is Mbappé is the *only* guy you have who can consistently score goals. He's even the only real goal threat on the team, and it's deliberate. The others are there to help him score the goals, and then defend well enough to make them count

antk

I hope once he is scoring against La Liga teams weekly rather than only each and every time he meets them in the CL, we'll stop having posts wondering if he somehow regressed these last two years. The guy has more G+A than games played in the competition.