g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Kylian Mbappe | PSG

ZlatMan

Admittedly I don't watch La Liga, but what makes Griezmann so amazingly fantastic? He never really impresses me in the CL. Though I can't watch Atletico for more than 30 seconds at a time without my eyes bleeding out of my sockets, so that might be the problem.
You need to watch Atleti only for Griezmann. On his day, he is among the top 5 players in the world. Regularly scoring 25+ goals for a team who don't attack often, his skillsets and ball techniques make him one of the best players in the world. If he wasn't a total wankbag, I definitely want us to break the bank to sign him.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You need to watch Atleti only for Griezmann. On his day, he is among the top 5 players in the world. Regularly scoring 25+ goals for a team who don't attack often, his skillsets and ball techniques make him one of the best players in the world. If he wasn't a total wankbag, I definitely want us to break the bank to sign him.
That's my problem too, he looks like Justin Bieber and from what he whinges about in the media is a whiny little cnut.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Admittedly I don't watch La Liga, but what makes Griezmann so amazingly fantastic? He never really impresses me in the CL. Though I can't watch Atletico for more than 30 seconds at a time without my eyes bleeding out of my sockets, so that might be the problem.
Griezmann is great at everything, playing for a defensive team means his stats won't stand out but he's incredible.

He's superb on and off the ball, very mobile, scores every kind of goal (headers, from distance, etc.), he's great on the counter and he works his ass off for the team on top of it all. Neymar and Hazard will have the ball at their feet and wow you a lot more often but Griezmann is the complete package. He's performed at the highest level for years too, was incredible in 2015/16 Atletico's CL run to the final, best player in Euro 2016 and played a huge part in France's WC win.

Could play anywhere next to anyone and he'd shine. He's only 27 too. He makes himself look like a bit of an idiot sometimes and these days being disliked by a big amount of fans has a big effect on how that player is rated.

Stacks

I agree.

At the same age, Cristiano Ronaldo was much more pleasant to watch. My favorite player at the Euro 04 :drool:

People like talking about teenage Ronaldo as if he was a worse version of what Dembele currently is... at 18 he had every single top team in the world after him willing to pay big money, after barely turning 19 he was our best forward in Euro 2004 in a team with the likes of Figo, Rui Costa and Deco at his absolute best. Everyone was expecting him to become the best player in the world then.

Halfway through the 2005/06 season he had already become one of the best in the world, certainly as close to the top as Mbappe is now.
People didn't like him, in fact they hated him. He played for United and was.....well..Ronaldo i.e. a bit of a tit.

Ronaldo at that age would tear the French League a new arsehole.
In his debut season as an 18 year old he contributed 14 goals (goals + assists).
in his second season it was 19 goals
in his 3rd 21 goals
in his 4th it was 43.

All very respectable for a young talent in a foreign league who had gone up to a higher challenge. Even when he did not score or assist he was a constant threat

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m sure the French team would choose Mbappé over Griezmann. Griez is a top player, but he’s not in the same class as Mbappé.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Stop with the Messi/CR7 comparisons. The stats do prove Mbappe is better than these two at 20 but guess what? R9 and Michael Owen were better players at 19-20 but their careers didn't last as long as everyone else.

Let's hope for Mbappe's sake he doesn't suffer the same fate as those two.
While still impressive Mbappe is doing this in Ligue 1 but nonetheless being 17 and scoring 26 goals is incredible at professional level.

Righteous Steps

I’m sure the French team would choose Mbappé over Griezmann. Griez is a top player, but he’s not in the same class as Mbappé.
Why? It goes almost unnoticed but Mbappe last season scored 13 goals in 27 games, you can't compare that to what Salah Messi Ronaldo Griezmann did last season in terms of output, this season he has stepped it up and genuinely is amongst those players, but he isn't a different class to Griezmann, the only player who truly his at his peak is Messi.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
Why? It goes almost unnoticed but Mbappe last season scored 13 goals in 27 games, you can't compare that to what Salah Messi Ronaldo Griezmann did last season in terms of output, this season he has stepped it up and genuinely is amongst those players, but he isn't a different class to Griezmann, the only player who truly his at his peak is Messi.
mbappe is in the same mould as henry... probably even better. would he improive barca yes, would he improve city yes

el3mel

He's much younger than these players.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Maybe it appears ‘unnoticed’ because people don’t simply enter an algorithm that says ‘30 goals = great player, 13 goals = average’. Anyone who watches Mbappé knows 13 goals doesn’t even begin to summarise what we are dealing with.

And a lot has happened since last season anyway, like a World Cup and half a season. Again, Griezmann has not been better than Mbappé. He’s never been seen as a player who could challenge Messi and Ronaldo. As far as the Balon D’or is concerned, Mbappé is challenging them from this year, let alone in the future.

They are different levels for me. Griezmann is a good player. In a group below Messi and Ronaldo, but also quite possibly in a group below the group below. He’s not as good as Bale, Neymar and Hazard for me. Mbappé will very likely end his career better than all of them, and as of right now, I think he’s better than Bale and Hazard too.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Maybe it appears ‘unnoticed’ because people don’t simply enter an algorithm that says ‘30 goals = great player, 13 goals = average’. Anyone who watches Mbappé knows 13 goals doesn’t even begin to summarise what we are dealing with.

And a lot has happened since last season anyway, like a World Cup and half a season. Again, Griezmann has not been better than Mbappé. He’s never been seen as a player who could challenge Messi and Ronaldo. As far as the Balon D’or is concerned, Mbappé is challenging them from this year, let alone in the future.

They are different levels for me. Griezmann is a good player. In a group below Messi and Ronaldo, but also quite possibly in a group below the group below. He’s not as good as Bale, Neymar and Hazard for me. Mbappé will very likely end his career better than all of them, and as of right now, I think he’s better than Bale and Hazard too.
Are we talking about the same Griezmann who was quite possibly the best player in the world in 2016?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
In all seriousness, I prefer Diaby to Cavani in that front three, he has a better relationship with Mbappé and Neymar, they are on the same wavelength. Do you think that it's a long term thing or just a novelty?
Tuchel is a coach who genuinely trusts the academy.

It's clear Neymar always tries to combine with Mbappé instead of Cavani whose technical skills is generally a burden.

The feeling is Cavani is more more isolated and is less inclined to make a hard pressing.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Tuchel is a coach who genuinely trusts the academy.

It's clear Neymar always tries to combine with Mbappé instead of Cavani whose technical skills is generally a burden.

The feeling is Cavani is more more isolated and is less inclined to make a hard pressing.
Sell him to us in January for Mariano

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Modric needs a new challenge IMO

I think we can find a deal
Mbappé for Modric. I'm in. Let me write down the contracts then we can bring them to Flo and Nasser and make it effective

I'll throw in Benzema for Neymar to balance it out too

:wenger:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Mbappé for Modric. I'm in. Let me write down the contracts then we can bring them to Flo and Nasser and make it effective

I'll throw in Benzema for Neymar to balance it out too

:wenger:
Modric for both Mbappe and Neymar sounds already fair enough considering the Ballon Dor result.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Precocity and ceiling are two very different things and if Mbappe is probably only second to Ronaldo Fenomeno in the modern era in the first critera I don't believe for an instant that his ceiling comes anywhere near Messi's.
He is too limited for that, watching him weekly already shows flaws in his games that are impossible to correct as they're not related to lack of maturity or experience.

My bold prediction is that a player who is better than Mbappe will emerge, someone younger than him, in the next 5 years.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Modric for both Mbappe and Neymar sounds already fair enough considering the Ballon Dor result.
Nah, Mbappé is a WC champions. That's why the need to include Neymar and Benzema. It's not at all that i just want Benzema gone :nervous:. :lol: (i don't really, love you Karim)

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Is it gonna be Vinicius, or Rodrygo? What do you think? :D
Neither of these guys have the ceiling for it imo. I think you need to look at even younger players.
Right now the only player I could see being better is a 15 year old from Lyon who just became the youngest Youth League goalscorer ever and is the best young player the academy has ever seen.
Then again I don't follow the South American youth football at all so I don't know anyone other than the 17/18 year olds who have made their pro debut.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
People like talking about teenage Ronaldo as if he was a worse version of what Dembele currently is... at 18 he had every single top team in the world after him willing to pay big money, after barely turning 19 he was our best forward in Euro 2004 in a team with the likes of Figo, Rui Costa and Deco at his absolute best. Everyone was expecting him to become the best player in the world then.

Halfway through the 2005/06 season he had already become one of the best in the world, certainly as close to the top as Mbappe is now.
Simply not true. If anything, Rooney had made a much bigger impression and was talked about potentially being the future best player in the world. Mbappe is miles ahead of what CR7 was doing at the same age. It’s not even the same stratosphere, whether you want to talk league form, international, or CL. Only Messi and R9 have had better starts of their career. I mean the way people downplay him is funny because it only stems from one simple thing, he’s not playing in their league therefore he’s not all that. Mbappe would tear up any league and he will soon enough.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Karim Benzema had more goals before turning 20 than either Messi or Ronaldo did.
Let's throw the revisionism out of the window please, neither of them were close to R9 or Mbappe as far as productivity goes.

And It's fine because precocity =/= talent.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Simply not true. If anything, Rooney had made a much bigger impression and was talked about potentially being the future best player in the world. Mbappe is miles ahead of what CR7 was doing at the same age. It’s not even the same stratosphere, whether you want to talk league form, international, or CL. Only Messi and R9 have had better starts of their career. I mean the way people downplay him is funny because it only stems from one simple thing, he’s not playing in their league therefore he’s not all that. Mbappe would tear up any league and he will soon enough.
Rooney didn't make a bigger impression anywhere outside of England, Ronaldo was far from being the complete package but him becoming the best player in the world wasn't a surprise to anyone who was paying attention. Rooney was the better player as a teenager but it was beyond obvious who was the player with more potential then too.

I didn't say he was a better player than Mbappe as a teenager, not a chance he was. Mbappe is the best teenage footballer since R9.

Ronaldo started making it all work as soon as December of 2005/January of 2006 as a 20 year old though, by then he was as good as Mbappe is now.

In Rainbows

I didn't say he was a better player than Mbappe as a teenager, not a chance he was. Mbappe is the best teenage footballer since R9.
Isn't that all what people are saying in regards to Mbappe though? Why are we even having this discussion if we're all in agreement?

Aloysius's Back 3

Precocity and ceiling are two very different things and if Mbappe is probably only second to Ronaldo Fenomeno in the modern era in the first critera I don't believe for an instant that his ceiling comes anywhere near Messi's.
He is too limited for that, watching him weekly already shows flaws in his games that are impossible to correct as they're not related to lack of maturity or experience.

My bold prediction is that a player who is better than Mbappe will emerge, someone younger than him, in the next 5 years.
It's his overly directness isn't it?

Righteous Steps

But Messi Salah and Neymar score more while being better playmakers, so it’s not as simple as 13 goals in 27 make him a lesser player, but it means in this calendar year the very best players have outscored him and also can boast to being more creative as well.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Rooney didn't make a bigger impression anywhere outside of England, Ronaldo was far from being the complete package but him becoming the best player in the world wasn't a surprise to anyone who was paying attention. Rooney was the better player as a teenager but it was beyond obvious who was the player with more potential then too.

Ronaldo started making it all work as soon as December of 2005/January of 2006 as a 20 year old though, by then he was as good as Mbappe is now.
Well I remember my version of the Euro 2004 very well. Rooney came out being a better prospect than CR7, beyond just the English press. He then confirmed it with his start at Manchester United. It wasn't until later on that CR7 clearly started becoming one of the best players in the world. He still wasn't the player Mbappe is now in early 2006 when he was 21. It was after the England episode with Rooney and the wink that he came back to England and started turning into a player that eventually I would put above Mbappe which is CR7 in the 2007-08 season when he won his Ballon d'Or, every other version before that I'm taking Mbappe, but that was a huge jump that not everybody is capable of, it remains to be seen if Mbappe can reach those heights but he has such a head-start I wouldn't be surprised.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Well I remember my version of the Euro 2004 very well. Rooney came out being a better prospect than CR7, beyond just the English press. He then confirmed it with his start at Manchester United. It wasn't until later on that CR7 clearly started becoming one of the best players in the world. He still wasn't the player Mbappe is now in early 2006 when he was 21. It was after the England episode with Rooney and the wink that he came back to England and started turning into a player that eventually I would put above Mbappe which is CR7 in the 2007-08 season when he won his Ballon d'Or, every other version before that I'm taking Mbappe, but that was a huge jump that not everybody is capable of, it remains to be seen if Mbappe can reach those heights but he has such a head-start I wouldn't be surprised.
It wasn't a huge jump though, not for anyone who was paying attention. It was his natural progression as a player and it was a big process, it didn't happen overnight. Ronaldo was every bit as good as Rooney in the 2004 Euros, Rooney only got to show it in the group stages. Rooney had a better 2004/05 season that's true. He was better in the first half of the 2005/06 too but then halfway through it Ronaldo had become unplayable. It's not true that he came back from the World Cup, was the most hated man in the country and then became the best player in the world shutting everybody up and United won the league. He was showing that form for a while before that.

Ronaldo in 2006 was better than what Mbappe has shown so far. I'm a huge fan of Mbappe but it's obvious he doesn't have anywhere near the same margin of progression as most great young talents have. He's at his physical peak already and decision making wise there's not much to be improved, as of now Griezmann, Hazard, De Bruyne, Salah and Neymar are a level above him and Messi and Ronaldo are two levels above him and the most likely scenario for him imo is that he doesn't improve much moving forward, especiallly if he remains at PSG for a while.

FujiVice

I'd go with that. The second half of that 2005-06 was basically the start of our 2006-2011 dominace. We were as good as Chelsea were in that second half of the season and Ronaldo was looking fantastic.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But Messi Salah and Neymar score more while being better playmakers, so it’s not as simple as 13 goals in 27 make him a lesser player, but it means in this calendar year the very best players have outscored him and also can boast to being more creative as well.
I don’t agree that Salah is a better creator than Mbappé. He’s also not as good a dribbler. He is closer to a Vardy type than a R9 type. He’s fast and strong, and a great finisher, but is not as menacing as far away from the goal as Mbappé is. These are the differences that stats don’t always show. Mbappé is a threat from anywhere on the pitch, where he can turn defence into attack instantly, and consistently.

Not sure if there’s a stat for that, perhaps ask @Ekeke . And again, the line of assessment didn’t stop at the end of last season. Why would it? Football has continued since then, and Mbappé has gone on to star in and win the World Cup, and maintain top form this season.

HDRubens

Supports
PSG
His main attributes are a lightning pace and the ability to play in the right spaces, his end product is also not bad, we feel that he still lacks many other attributes to his overall game, dribbling ability is good but not as amazing as what other genius of the game had (the brazilian Ronaldo, CR7, messi)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'd go with that. The second half of that 2005-06 was basically the start of our 2006-2011 dominace. We were as good as Chelsea were in that second half of the season and Ronaldo was looking fantastic.
Didn't they clinch the title by humiliating you at SB?

Agree Cristiano's explosion began in the first half of 2006. He did go up a couple levels from 2005 though, and then went up another level or two in 2007. His progression definitely wasn't linear

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This comparison makes me realize that Messi has always been extremely clinical from a technical and decision making standpoint. It seems that he only improved physically, right?

At 20 years old Mbappé and Ronaldo are/were still doing silly things and taking unnecessary risks while it's not a massive issue because you can see that they have a productive idea in mind, Messi would simply spot the issue and reset.

Righteous Steps

I don’t agree that Salah is a better creator than Mbappé. He’s also not as good a dribbler. He is closer to a Vardy type than a R9 type. He’s fast and strong, and a great finisher, but is not as menacing as far away from the goal as Mbappé is. These are the differences that stats don’t always show. Mbappé is a threat from anywhere on the pitch, where he can turn defence into attack instantly, and consistently.

Not sure if there’s a stat for that, perhaps ask @Ekeke . And again, the line of assessment didn’t stop at the end of last season. Why would it? Football has continued since then, and Mbappé has gone on to star in and win the World Cup, and maintain top form this season.

Chances created assists, through balls etc can be used. Mbappe isn’t a playmaker, Salah is better in that field despite him not being the Hazard Neymar Messi type himself, I would put that simply due to experience, but Vardy for example never registers as a top assist maker in the league which Salah does.