Kylian Mbappe | Signs new PSG contract until 2025, La Liga says they intend to file a complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I am quite optimistic, despite his recent visit to Qatar , but from what I read his father is still in favor of renewing
I think it's 65/35 in favor of Madrid if I had to put numbers on it. I honestly would be happy if he goes at that point because he's done his time there and there's just too much work to be done to turn it around (not necessarily on the team itself but the overall culture of the club). The only factor is we all know he really would have liked to give his hometown its first CL, so he's susceptible to be convinced it can be done within the next two years then it might be enough. I don't think this will ever be just about the money for him, but for sure he'd rather win a CL for PSG right now than just add to Madrid's collection, it would mean more and that's what PSG is going to try to exploit to get him to stay.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I think it's 65/35 in favor of Madrid if I had to put numbers on it. I honestly would be happy if he goes at that point because he's done his time there and there's just too much work to be done to turn it around (not necessarily on the team itself but the overall culture of the club). The only factor is we all know he really would have liked to give his hometown its first CL, so he's susceptible to be convinced it can be done within the next two years then it might be enough. I don't think this will ever be about the money for him, but for sure he'd rather win a CL for PSG right now than just add to Madrid's collection, it would mean more and that's what PSG is going to try to exploit to get him to stay.
The flip side of that is that nothing PSG win means anything because it’s a state owned, financially doped club, and no one will take his achievements seriously while he still plays in a third tier league. Conversely, Madrid have won so many CLs with the most famous names in football history, that to put his name alongside them in the pantheon of legend, is a much greater lure to secure his footballing legacy.

I mean, some may say that.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
That's a fake account, there's no trace of this info on l'Equipe.

I always wonder how these BS messages end up on your twitter feed.
It's true, I didn't realize it, sorry. It seems that it's fashionable to make those fake accounts and they always catch me

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The flip side of that is that nothing PSG win means anything because it’s a state owned, financially doped club, and no one will take his achievements seriously while he still plays in a third tier league. Conversely, Madrid have won so many CLs with the most famous names in football history, that to put his name alongside them in the pantheon of legend, is a much greater lure to secure his footballing legacy.

I mean, some may say that.
I mean, some may say that, I would say I don't give a Frenchman's fkuc what you think of it and most people would feel the same.

It's true, I didn't realize it, sorry. It seems that it's fashionable to make those fake accounts and they always catch me
Dammit, so we're set for weeks of more speculation now, great.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I think it's 65/35 in favor of Madrid if I had to put numbers on it. I honestly would be happy if he goes at that point because he's done his time there and there's just too much work to be done to turn it around (not necessarily on the team itself but the overall culture of the club). The only factor is we all know he really would have liked to give his hometown its first CL, so he's susceptible to be convinced it can be done within the next two years then it might be enough. I don't think this will ever be just about the money for him, but for sure he'd rather win a CL for PSG right now than just add to Madrid's collection, it would mean more and that's what PSG is going to try to exploit to get him to stay.
But what exactly are they going to offer him? I read (I don't know if it's true or not) that they were going to offer him some influence in signings/next coach, which on the other hand is quite toxic in terms of club culture.
To make him captain is in my opinion a very overvalued concept.
The economic offer is brutal. It is one thing not to think about money and another to give up 75/100 net

MrEleson

CR7 won a Ballon d'Or at the same age, but despite that I think currently Mbappe is a better player than that CR7 in 2008, people can debate about it, but regardless he's absolutely in that neighborhood.

Can he stay as healthy as CR7 throughout his career is the bigger question for me. It's kind of mind-boggling with the sort of rough treatment CR7 went through just how much of an iron man he's been in his career. If Mbappe manages to replicate that kind of fitness, then he's got everything to match or surpass CR7, but that kind of luck with injuries is just rare and is a big part why he and Messi have also been able to break all of these records besides their ridiculous abilities.
:lol::lol:
There’s no way you believe this unless you weren’t old enough to watch Ronaldo throughout the 07/08 season. What exactly can Mbappe now do better than 08 Ronaldo? Inversely, I can name you plenty of things that version of Ronaldo can do that Mbappe can’t. He simply isn’t at that level yet.

Btw, 07/08 Ronaldo had the best xG overperformance of any player in history. He scored far more than his predicted outcome and was playing on the right of a 4-4-2. How would Mbappe have fared in that position and era if transported there today away from the poor french league and PSG super team?

Yeah, they’re not in the same ballpark.

Last edited:

dinostar77

I hope he re-signs with PSG for another season or two. Winning PSGs first ever CL title will mean alot more than madrid winning yet another CL title.

Besides would be hilarious when the summer window closes and madrid have neither mbappe or halaand signed.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
But what exactly are they going to offer him? I read (I don't know if it's true or not) that they were going to offer him some influence in signings/next coach, which on the other hand is quite toxic in terms of club culture.
The economic offer is brutal. It is one thing not to think about money and another to give up 75/100 net
The way I see it, Mbappe is already set for life, sure it's generational money, but he's pretty much already got enough money to be set for generations.

I am not buying this whole giving him influence on transfers, I actually don't think Mbappe has any interest in that, he considers himself just a footballer and contrary to reports he's clarified that he never once asked for a player.

I think the main issue Madrid has is the splitting of the image rights, that seems to be the big stumbling block in the negotiations, and it's also not easy to leave your hometown and family behind. As far as what PSG can offer, hopefully a more balanced team and some resilience in the difficult times. If they can get that then it's a better prospect than Madrid currently because they have a lot of young talents all around, however if Madrid get Tchouameni then I think they suddenly become a far more attractive and balanced side than what PSG offer because of the prestige of the club and their record in the one trophy he wants more than anything, but Madrid needs to figure out how to integrate Mbappe because he will not want to play on the right side of the forward line and it'd be silly to pay a player that much to be in a position he doesn't shine as much as where Vinicius plays. I don't think that's a big issue but it's another factor.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Yeah, they’re not in the same ballpark.
They're definitely in the same ballpark. As I said, I think Ronaldo was better but I can see exactly the same panicked behaviour in the opposing team that I saw with Ronaldo 15 years ago when Mbappé grabs the ball and runs toward the goal. And the goals he scored in Ligue 1, he scored the same against Neuer or Courtois in the CL, especially his new signature move when he shots between the legs of the defender at the near post.

The PL hubris is really strong on this forum.

I don't really know, he could be tempted by another shot at the very 1st CL with PSG if the transfer window is handled properly, plus breaking important records for PSG (like being the best scorer ever). On top of that he's really set on controlling the way his image is used and PSG might be more prone to give him that.

I have no idea how important becoming an absolute legend in Paris is to him so I can't speculate about the role it could play in an hypothetical extension though.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don't really know, he could be tempted by another shot at the very 1st CL with PSG if the transfer window is handled properly, plus breaking important records for PSG (like being the best scorer ever). On top of that he's really set on controlling the way his image is used and PSG might be more prone to give him that.

I have no idea how important becoming an absolute legend in Paris is to him so I can't speculate about the role it could play in an hypothetical extension though.
That's right, I forgot to mention Cavani's record, which he can definitely get by the end of next season. Whatever happens, if he renews at PSG, it won't be for more than a couple seasons at the most so he will be 24-25 by the time he leaves. The gift of precocity is you can take your time. I hear from Madrid fans that if he renews they won't go for Mbappe anymore because they'll consider it an insult but I'm not buying that for one second.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The way I see it, Mbappe is already set for life, sure it's generational money, but he's pretty much already got enough money to be set for generations.

I am not buying this whole giving him influence on transfers, I actually don't think Mbappe has any interest in that, he considers himself just a footballer and contrary to reports he's clarified that he never once asked for a player.

I think the main issue Madrid has is the splitting of the image rights, that seems to be the big stumbling block in the negotiations, and it's also not easy to leave your hometown and family behind. As far as what PSG can offer, hopefully a more balanced team and some resilience in the difficult times. If they can get that then it's a better prospect than Madrid currently because they have a lot of young talents all around, however if Madrid get Tchouameni then I think they suddenly become a far more attractive and balanced side than what PSG offer because of the prestige of the club and their record in the one trophy he wants more than anything, but Madrid needs to figure out how to integrate Mbappe because he will not want to play on the right side of the forward line and it'd be silly to pay a player that much to be in a position he doesn't shine as much as where Vinicius plays. I don't think that's a big issue but it's another factor.
Yes, it seems that image rights is a complicated issue, but if even Cristiano accepted 50%, they will surely end up reaching an agreement .
You are right about the balance, but do you think a player bases such a decision on a transfer? He has to see it as a new step, a different reality accepting whatever comes, like Cristiano did, who left a better team than Madrid.
Regarding the position, I would like to see him as a striker once Karim leaves.
I have always seen him as a Ronaldo Nazario.
I think that Vini has to continue on the left and Mbappe will have to adapt. No matter how good he is, he will be the new one in the squad, although they will surely be rotated.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yes, it seems that image rights is a complicated issue, but if even Cristiano accepted 50%, they will surely end up reaching an agreement .
You are right about the balance, but do you think a player bases such a decision on a transfer? He has to see it as a new step, a different reality accepting whatever comes, like Cristiano did, who left a better team than Madrid.
Regarding the position, I would like to see him as a striker once Karim leaves.
I have always seen him as a Ronaldo Nazario.
I think that Vini has to continue on the left and Mbappe will have to adapt. No matter how good he is, he will be the new one in the squad, although they will surely be rotated.
Yeah, if they can figure out the image rights thing, then it should be a smooth operation from there, but just because every other player accepted it in the past, it doesn't mean Mbappe necessarily will or this would already be done by now IMO. He's one of the strongest minded individuals I've ever seen in the sport, and if he's stuck on keeping all of his image rights, then I don't think anything will change with Madrid. He's inspired by the new age athletes like Lebron James who's a mentor of his, so he's all about ownership of his image, meticulous attention to who he associates with, and even went as far as turning down national team media engagements because he didn't agree with some of the brands sponsoring the national team.

I don't think CR7 was quite as involved or cared as much about those sorts of things, I could be wrong about that but seeing some of the stuff he attached his name to, that's just the impression I get. I agree that Mbappe will be the new guy on the team, and I think he will adapt a bit to the team, but by next season I expect him to establish himself right away and I think he will play on the left side again in one way or another, but he's a player that thrives best with a free role anyways so it's not as if he'll be stuck on that wing.

He has similarities to R9, but he's not the same. He's not as physically strong, he can get pushed around easier than R9 could, and you just take away from some of his game if you stick him up front. It's a shame him and Benzema won't get to play for years together, because a guy like Benzema helps get the most out of Mbappe and vice-versa.

Currently, I'd think he would be better as a left sided false 9, pushing Vinicius a bit deeper and further on the wings and Benzema up top. That way you don't take too much away from either Vini or Mbappe. It would require a change of formation, but I think this is where you get the most out of all the current forward players.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Oh I'm not disagreeing about the PL having a big year and being a better league, but you're talking top 4 teams and I'm saying CR7 didn't do much against those top 4 teams that season, and the quality of the sides immediately drops off from here on out, like any league, and my point is the difference in levels between the bottom half of the league (where CR7 scored most of his goals that season) aren't really any better than the bottom 10 teams of Ligue 1 or elsewhere. I watched the games, I see the levels, only English fans seem to think that somehow their crap teams don't stink in comparison to the rest of the leagues but they do just as bad. If CR7 was doing the business against the top teams that season, then I would fall back and say it's debatable, but CR7 was a flat-track bully back then, while Mbappe's consistently done the business against any team out there and has been doing so for a couple of years now. Really, the only black mark you can put on Mbappe so far in his 6 year career is the Euro 2020.

It's okay, I know I don't have the popular opinion, but I think people seriously underestimate just how special Mbappe is and to me there is little doubt he was better than what CR7 was doing at his age, the numbers back it up and the eye test back it up (but my memory could be failing me).
Am I biased for my countryman? Absolutely, but I'm factoring that into my opinion and I still think he is objectively a better player now than CR7 was then. I also think people don't realize how difficult it is to have those numbers on such a dysfunctional side, you can just look at Messi who everybody thought was going to absolutely wreck Ligue 1 and he's been very creative but he's consistently struggling to get past players or score goals, it's not a free-scoring league like that.

Trainwreck of a post, but not surprised.

If Mbappe was playing in CR7's time, in his team, are you actually doubting he would have won the Ballon d'Or by now? There weren't multiple players scoring 40-50 goals/season like we do now. He was pretty much the favorite along with Lewandowski and Benzema until PSG went out where he was the only one who looked like he could do something for them. There's a lot of people who already consider him the best player in the world, I read articles and hear commentators refer to him that way already, so he is basically right on track but the competitors you deal with and the times you play in are kind of a big factor as far as the individual awards go. Football was quite different back then as far as output of players.
I refute some some of your points here:
Trash teams exist in every league but I think it's fair to argue that trash teams in a higher level are better than the equivalent trash team in a lower level league, due to the law of averages and all that.
Also ronnie absolutely wasn't a flat track bully than , he scored in a lot of important games back then including the cl final. The reason he had lower level of goals against top opposition was them having great defending were teams like Chelsea were simply world class to the truest sense of the word and him generally being man marked , its also fair to remember that there wasn't that many goals scored back then compared to now and the game was a lot more defensive compared to now so what he did was even more impressive in my mind.
Also he was absolutely a force of nature who was so much more than a simple goal scorer . He added a lot to our game and we were better for it even when he himself didn't score and I simply don't see that in Mbappe where he is a lot more straightforward.
In the end one thing that i agree with you is with Mbappe playing in a dysfunctional team and doing do well , so he might have done even better had he played in a team like our 07/08 one so I'll give you that, it certainly says a lot about him performing in a team so in disarray.
In the end we have to agree to disagree but I see where you're coming from.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I refute some some of your points here:
Trash teams exist in every league but I think it's fair to argue that trash teams in a higher level are better than the equivalent trash team in a lower level league, due to the law of averages and all that.
Also ronnie absolutely wasn't a flat track bully than , he scored in a lot of important games back then including the cl final. The reason he had lower level of goals against top opposition was them having great defending were teams like Chelsea were simply world class to the truest sense of the word and him generally being man marked , its also fair to remember that there wasn't that many goals scored back then compared to now and the game was a lot more defensive compared to now so what he did was even more impressive in my mind.
Also he was absolutely a force of nature who was so much more than a simple goal scorer . He added a lot to our game and we were better for it even when he himself didn't score and I simply don't see that in Mbappe where he is a lot more straightforward.
In the end one thing that i agree with you is with Mbappe playing in a dysfunctional team and doing do well , so he might have done even better had he played in a team like our 07/08 one so I'll give you that, it certainly says a lot about him performing in a team so in disarray.
In the end we have to agree to disagree but I see where you're coming from.
And this is a big reason why these conversations are so impossible to begin with, there are so many factors that can impact how a player will perform. But it's definitely been impressive what he's managed to do out of this hot mess, one of the few players who can walk away from this season with no shame in his game.

And fair enough, we can disagree and I respect your opinion. I'm glad you're at least not so dismissive and can see where I'm coming from. :)

Red the Bear

Something less generic
And this is a big reason why these conversations are so impossible to begin with, there are so many factors that can impact how a player will perform. But it's definitely been impressive what he's managed to do out of this hot mess, one of the few players who can walk away from this season with no shame in his game.

And fair enough, we can disagree and I respect your opinion. I'm glad you're at least not so dismissive and can see where I'm coming from. :)
Absolutely, this season made me respect him a lot more than before. I felt he was a bit of primadonna with the wrong attitude and spoiled (maybe my impression due to him well hanging out with neymar and co) but him performing in this season after all the drama and with such professionalism, is absolutely impressive.
The lad has a bright future if he keeps it up, definitely to look out for.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Teams craft anti-Mbappé plans as well.

Also, total number of goals scored in the 2007-2008 season : 1002
In 2020/2021 : 1024

I think it's pretty safe to say the difference is negligeable over 380 games.

Last edited:

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
If I was PSG fan would I even want to renew with Mbappe? They have offerede him like 100 contract offers and he has rejected them all. Why not let a guy go when he clearly do not want to stay. This is one thing I hate about PSG. They seems to have difficulties accepting that players want to move on. They should have sold him to Madrid last summer for 200 million euros.

I am getting tired of Mbappe saga. This need to end soon. Has been going on for too long.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Honestly I wonder if it would be even in Real's best interest to get him. Sure generational talent and whatnot. But Vini is already doing great on the LW and Rodrygo can as well. And Mbappe seemingly wants to play on the left. Wouldn't it be a wiser investment to get a world class RW in? Rodrygo isn't really a RW and Asensio is done, no real option there. Would finally have a threat from the righthand side.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
Honestly I wonder if it would be even in Real's best interest to get him. Sure generational talent and whatnot. But Vini is already doing great on the LW and Rodrygo can as well. And Mbappe seemingly wants to play on the left. Wouldn't it be a wiser investment to get a world class RW in? Rodrygo isn't really a RW and Asensio is done, no real option there. Would finally have a threat from the righthand side.
Mbappe will play on the right side and eventually replace Benzema as CF if he comes to Madrid.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Mbappe will play on the right side and eventually replace Benzema as CF if he comes to Madrid.
That's not how it's going to go, no way Mbappé plays as a regular right winger, he'll either claim Vinicius' left side or will constanly leave his wing to be in a more central position.
Oh boy poor Vini once Benzema is gone, Mbappé and KB9 are like polar opposits.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If I was PSG fan would I even want to renew with Mbappe? They have offerede him like 100 contract offers and he has rejected them all. Why not let a guy go when he clearly do not want to stay. This is one thing I hate about PSG. They seems to have difficulties accepting that players want to move on. They should have sold him to Madrid last summer for 200 million euros.

I am getting tired of Mbappe saga. This need to end soon. Has been going on for too long.
Obviously PSG fans would want to keep Mbappe. Between him and Dembele, it's been an extraordinary turn around with the fanbase of their clubs. Mbappe is the hometown kid, you cannot blame a club for trying everything to hold on to a player who is a hometown kid and is probably (one of/) the best player in the world at this point. The problem is that tonight highlighted why it sucks to play at PSG, you win the league and it's expected so no big deal, you lose it it's an embarrassment, and everything is based on a competition that is so difficult to win for the first time. No club should operate with those CL-or-bust philosophy, but that's how it is over there, without necessarily having the proper sporting project to make it happen, more of a Football manager-style which sounds great in forums but we all know (and have seen) doesn't work.

Personally, I think he should leave soon, but I would like him to stay an extra season depending on what moves PSG make. He can break Cavani's record and leave as the all-time scoring leader for his hometown club at 24 years old and go dominate some other league after that, there's worse scenarios for a footballer.

That's not how it's going to go, no way Mbappé plays as a regular right winger, he'll either claim Vinicius' left side or will constanly leave his wing to be in a more central position.
Oh boy poor Vini once Benzema is gone, Mbappé and KB9 are like polar opposits.
That's the thing I keep getting into with RM fans, I just don't see Mbappe accepting to come and play on the right wing, even if he'll have a free role. You're getting the best left-sided forward in the game, he's not moving clubs to play in a position he had to play once when he was 18 years old and never touched again. Best way they make it work as presently constructed IMO is with Vini dropping deeper and Mbappe being a false 9 coming from the left side and working with Benzema and they put whoever they want on the right wing. It's a change of formation for sure if he comes in. With all the hoopla they've made about getting him to their club, it'd be ridiculous to stick him to that RW.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
You see I doubt he will actually play RW. And I honestly don't see him as a good replacement for Benzema, as in Benzema has so many qualities when it comes to playing with his back facing the goal, hold up and link up play, dropping deep and orchestrating attacks. He makes others around him play better. Mbappe has his own qualities but I wonder if it is wise for Madrid to see him as a Benzema replacement.

It reminds me of the Bale transfer, there was no real reason to get him because Ronaldo was already playing on that LW position. Just got lucky Bale was good enough (and left footed) to make it work on the RW. Getting a good RW and taking time to look for a good Benzema replacement would be better I think.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You see I doubt he will actually play RW. And I honestly don't see him as a good replacement for Benzema, as in Benzema has so many qualities when it comes to playing with his back facing the goal, hold up and link up play, dropping deep and orchestrating attacks. He makes others around him play better. Mbappe has his own qualities but I wonder if it is wise for Madrid to see him as a Benzema replacement.

It reminds me of the Bale transfer, there was no real reason to get him because Ronaldo was already playing on that LW position. Just got lucky Bale was good enough (and left footed) to make it work on the RW. Getting a good RW and taking time to look for a good Benzema replacement would be better I think.
Regarding your second paragraph, it's not exactly tit-for-tat. I like Vinicius, he's going to develop into a world-class player I think, he was on his way this season then dropped off quite a bit, but it's normal at his age but a CR7 he isn't, and honestly I wouldn't hesitate for one second to replace him with Mbappe if it had to come to that, but I think it would be a waste and the two can play together in a different formation without taking too much from one another.

And while I agree somewhat with @Oly Francis that it would be very different for Vini to play with Mbappe as CF as opposed to Benzema, I just don't think Mbappe should ever be a CF to begin with. He is a LF who needs to have a free role from there and would actually work best with a guy like Benzema (which unfortunately don't grow on trees), but he's much more 'generous' than he was. He's someone who creates for others as well, especially this season. I think they'll enjoy playing with one another more than he gives them credit for, but sure...it wouldn't be Benzema, there's no one really like him.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
Obviously PSG fans would want to keep Mbappe. Between him and Dembele, it's been an extraordinary turn around with the fanbase of their clubs. Mbappe is the hometown kid, you cannot blame a club for trying everything to hold on to a player who is a hometown kid and is probably (one of/) the best player in the world at this point. The problem is that tonight highlighted why it sucks to play at PSG, you win the league and it's expected so no big deal, you lose it it's an embarrassment, and everything is based on a competition that is so difficult to win for the first time. No club should operate with those CL-or-bust philosophy, but that's how it is over there, without necessarily having the proper sporting project to make it happen, more of a Football manager-style which sounds great in forums but we all know (and have seen) doesn't work.
Mbappe is not PSG product. I can obviously understand PSG want to keep him. However to me it seems like more of an ego thing for PSG. They seem to be hurt by Mbappe chosing another club over them. I feel if they accepted the 180-200 million euro bid from RM they could have used that money to buy 2-3 world class players.

If you want to win CL you need luck and all 11 players working hard both ways. PSG this season was very good, but the front 3 did not contribute with anything defensivly. As you said the Galactico/FM style has not worked. Why not try signing som hard working players instead of players who are mostly there for the $$$.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Mbappe is not PSG product. I can obviously understand PSG want to keep him. However to me it seems like more of an ego thing for PSG. They seem to be hurt by Mbappe chosing another club over them. I feel if they accepted the 180-200 million euro bid from RM they could have used that money to buy 2-3 world class players.

If you want to win CL you need luck and all 11 players working hard both ways. PSG this season was very good, but the front 3 did not contribute with anything defensivly. As you said the Galactico/FM style has not worked. Why not try signing som hard working players instead of players who are mostly there for the $$$.
Well, first of all, let's analyze how PSG operates. It's not a normal club by any means, so in their unique situation, it was the right move to turn down the money from Madrid because Mbappe was pretty much the only positive thing for this team. You could argue they would have been able to get players that would fit more with the front line, but I'll remind you Madrid put a bid towards the end of August, it's just not enough time to turn around and identify the exact recruits to make, negotiate with them, get them in and prepared for the season. It's just not realistic. Madrid wasn't serious about getting Mbappe, it was an ego move on their part, and it was an ego move on PSG's part to turn it down. Just a couple of dick-measuring contest between clubs and nothing more IMO.

Now Mbappe is not a PSG product, but he's Parisian and believe me, that matters a lot to them. Even though Mbappe has been kind of a superstar for a few years, the fact that he's at PSG being Parisian is huge for them but it also means he's going to be constantly linked to Madrid. I don't know about being hurt by it, it's kind of irrelevant, it's just good business to do everything you can to keep a player. Now if the player is forcing his way out, that's a different situation, but that's never happened with Mbappe. He told them he wanted to leave a month before the transfer window closed because he thought (naively IMO) that it would be enough time for them to turn it around, and that they'd get a big fee so everybody was happy. Good intentions, but naive. Madrid was never a good-faith partner in the transaction IMO, they can pretend they needed to wait for the funds to make the bid, but that's nonsense because they knew the sales would eventually come, and they can easily finance a deal for Mbappe given the massive windfall it will give on the marketing side (assuming they'd get him to accept giving up 50% of his image rights).

Last paragraph, I'm with you. But PSG, and myself, would rather do that with Mbappe as the center of that project than without him. On the flip side, I'm more of a fan of the national team than any club football, and I would like to see Mbappe play in Spain or England, but if he sticks around for a season to break the big records at the club, more power to him. He deserves to make whatever decision he wants, and right now there's nothing PSG can do about it. I just wish this would get wrapped up because the nonsense rumors and articles are just exhausting to be exposed to.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid

I wrote to the right side, but as some users already suggested that might not turn out to be the case. I am probably wrong.
It's a difficult job for the manager as Vinicious has been very good this season and he is only 21 and could become proper WC. I have seen Vinicious play on the right side and he was terrible.
Mbappe however is such a great player that RM will build the future team around him.
Our right side has been crap for years now. Rodrygo has been good last 3-4 games. Like really good. If he could get a break through like Vinicious we could have our RW we tried to find for such a long time now. I don't see any RW world class available on the market.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I wrote to the right side, but as some users already suggested that might not turn out to be the case. I am probably wrong.
It's a difficult job for the manager as Vinicious has been very good this season and he is only 21 and could become proper WC. I have seen Vinicious play on the right side and he was terrible.
Mbappe however is such a great player that RM will build the future team around him.
Our right side has been crap for years now. Rodrygo has been good last 3-4 games. Like really good. If he could get a break through like Vinicious we could have our RW we tried to find for such a long time now. I don't see any RW world class available on the market.
It's kind of crazy this issue with finding top RW's for clubs. United getting Sancho who everybody thought was going to the RW and he ended up going left along with Rashford, Martial, etc. Same with Madrid, I don't see Vini switching to the RW and he honestly doesn't deserve that. Can you see a change of formation with Mbappe as a left-sided false 9 with Benzema and Vini dropping a bit deeper and closer to the wing or does that take too much away from him? It would obviously be a change of formation but I'd like to hear what a Madridista thinks of it?

If Rodrygo can make the RW his, then that's your front 4 right there, I don't know if that works for Madrid, but one thing is they will need to make up for Mbappe's lack of defending unless he can get a coach to get him to improve that but it's been a few years already he's heard the criticism and it's not really changing, which is a shame because he's so quick that he can take the ball back from almost anybody when he's bothered.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Regarding your second paragraph, it's not exactly tit-for-tat. I like Vinicius, he's going to develop into a world-class player I think, he was on his way this season then dropped off quite a bit, but it's normal at his age but a CR7 he isn't, and honestly I wouldn't hesitate for one second to replace him with Mbappe if it had to come to that, but I think it would be a waste and the two can play together in a different formation without taking too much from one another.

And while I agree somewhat with @Oly Francis that it would be very different for Vini to play with Mbappe as CF as opposed to Benzema, I just don't think Mbappe should ever be a CF to begin with. He is a LF who needs to have a free role from there and would actually work best with a guy like Benzema (which unfortunately don't grow on trees), but he's much more 'generous' than he was. He's someone who creates for others as well, especially this season. I think they'll enjoy playing with one another more than he gives them credit for, but sure...it wouldn't be Benzema, there's no one really like him.
I'm curious how the two can play together though and whether it wouldn't mess with the team dynamic changing the entire formation just to fit the two of them together. Sure Vini is no CR7 (who is?) but if he keeps this up he doesn't need to be. Scores his fair share of goals, gives assists and is pretty clutch in big games. On top of that his work ethic is great to have, tracks back to help out the defence and is no ego (could do without all the flopping around though). And like mentioned: Rodrygo is a good sub to have. So the LW is fine for the foreseeable feature imo and I wouldn't bother with Mbappe (I know I am in the minority on this one).

A player like Benzema and what he offers (especially outside of the box) is indeed extremely rare, so I also wonder what role Mbappe sees for himself in Madrid. Surely he should have insight on where he would fit and I wonder if that may actually be a reason for him to not being sure of moving yet (to Real at least).

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Yeah, if they can figure out the image rights thing, then it should be a smooth operation from there, but just because every other player accepted it in the past, it doesn't mean Mbappe necessarily will or this would already be done by now IMO. He's one of the strongest minded individuals I've ever seen in the sport, and if he's stuck on keeping all of his image rights, then I don't think anything will change with Madrid. He's inspired by the new age athletes like Lebron James who's a mentor of his, so he's all about ownership of his image, meticulous attention to who he associates with, and even went as far as turning down national team media engagements because he didn't agree with some of the brands sponsoring the national team.

I don't think CR7 was quite as involved or cared as much about those sorts of things, I could be wrong about that but seeing some of the stuff he attached his name to, that's just the impression I get. I agree that Mbappe will be the new guy on the team, and I think he will adapt a bit to the team, but by next season I expect him to establish himself right away and I think he will play on the left side again in one way or another, but he's a player that thrives best with a free role anyways so it's not as if he'll be stuck on that wing.

He has similarities to R9, but he's not the same. He's not as physically strong, he can get pushed around easier than R9 could, and you just take away from some of his game if you stick him up front. It's a shame him and Benzema won't get to play for years together, because a guy like Benzema helps get the most out of Mbappe and vice-versa.

Currently, I'd think he would be better as a left sided false 9, pushing Vinicius a bit deeper and further on the wings and Benzema up top. That way you don't take too much away from either Vini or Mbappe. It would require a change of formation, but I think this is where you get the most out of all the current forward players.
And het he happily represents a club backed by Qatar - just another self righteous footballer who just happens to be a hypocrite.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
A player like Benzema and what he offers (especially outside of the box) is indeed extremely rare, so I also wonder what role Mbappe sees for himself in Madrid. Surely he should have insight on where he would fit and I wonder if that may actually be a reason for him to not being sure of moving yet (to Real at least).
Well you can already see it with France, even though it's international football, that they play very well together already. They're two great players, who know football in and out, so they quickly found an understanding even though Mbappe is a bit more selfish than Benzema in all facets of the game offensively and defensively, he's still a dual-threat with the scoring or passing at a world-class level.

I think, outside of the contract negotiation, Benzema being 34 is one of the other...maybe not obstacle, but hesitation because it will be such a massive shift in Mbappe's role IMO when he's gone that if it's not handled correctly, could make for an awkward transition. He'd definitely be the main man at that point unless Vinicius suddenly goes nuclear and becomes the best player in the world but that's a long shot IMO, so maybe it'll be easier to digest Benzema's departure or retirement, but the team suddenly becomes a completely different nut to crack.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Rodrygo is a good impact player but don't think he has that bit extra to make a push for a starting spot. He is better on the LW as well but is good enough to make it work on the RW. Funnily enough if you could combine the best of him and Vini you would get pretty much the ultimate footballer. Rodrygo is missing the speed/acceleration of Vini and also the adventurousness of the latter. But is much calmer in front of goal and really mature in his game.

And yeah RW are sadly a rare breed, maybe go all out for like Reece James as a RB and change up to like a 442 with Valverde and Reece bombarding that righthand side.

It's kind of crazy this issue with finding top RW's for clubs. United getting Sancho who everybody thought was going to the RW and he ended up going left along with Rashford, Martial, etc. Same with Madrid, I don't see Vini switching to the RW and he honestly doesn't deserve that. Can you see a change of formation with Mbappe as a left-sided false 9 with Benzema and Vini dropping a bit deeper and closer to the wing or does that take too much away from him? It would obviously be a change of formation but I'd like to hear what a Madridista thinks of it?

If Rodrygo can make the RW his, then that's your front 4 right there, I don't know if that works for Madrid, but one thing is they will need to make up for Mbappe's lack of defending unless he can get a coach to get him to improve that but it's been a few years already he's heard the criticism and it's not really changing, which is a shame because he's so quick that he can take the ball back from almost anybody when he's bothered.
That is one thing Vini has over Mbappe, he does the dirty work and tracks back.

I really think Vini and Mbappe will occupy the same space (regardless of formation) and as a result you won't get the best out of either one. Vini on RW is a no-go. Benzema during the Ronaldo era would often get out of the #9 spot as Ronaldo would occupy that space, very selfless and knowing what is best for the team. I don't see either Vini or Mbappe really having the same insight and awareness off the ball.

Well you can already see it with France, even though it's international football, that they play very well together already. They're two great players, who know football in and out, so they quickly found an understanding even though Mbappe is a bit more selfish than Benzema in all facets of the game offensively and defensively, he's still a dual-threat with the scoring or passing at a world-class level.

I think, outside of the contract negotiation, Benzema being 34 is one of the other...maybe not obstacle, but hesitation because it will be such a massive shift in Mbappe's role IMO when he's gone that if it's not handled correctly, could make for an awkward transition. He'd definitely be the main man at that point unless Vinicius suddenly goes nuclear and becomes the best player in the world but that's a long shot IMO, so maybe it'll be easier to digest Benzema's departure or retirement, but the team suddenly becomes a completely different nut to crack.
Owh no I don't doubt Benzema and Mbappe together, that demonstrably is going fantastic. It is the Vini-Mbappe combo I am having doubts over and looking at it long term. Then again who knows if all of this will matter, lets see what Mbappe does first.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
And het he happily represents a club backed by Qatar - just another self righteous footballer who just happens to be a hypocrite.
It's an idiotic point because Mbappe is an employee of the club, which happens to be in his hometown and a club is bigger than its owners in case you weren't aware, he's not actively seeking those partnerships. He also happens to donate his entire bonuses from the national team and part of his salary to charitable causes, what do you do?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
It's an idiotic point because Mbappe is an employee of the club, he's not actively seeking those partnerships. He also happens to donate his entire bonuses from the national team and part of his salary to charitable causes, what do you do?
:lol: What do I do...Great whataboutism, but I'll address it regardless - you have no idea what I do or give to charity, and I'd rather not publicise anything I do or give to charity to win brownie points from an idiot on a football forum (anyone who actively publicises what they do for charity have always made me question their motives).

With regards to Mbappe, he actively chose to represent a club sponsored by the Qatari government when he left Monaco when I'm sure he could have picked any club, which means he's fully in control of what that does to his image.

Don't get me wrong, Mbappe is an amazing player, and I've said for a while that he'll be taking over from Messi/Ronaldo (this was when Neymar was being lauded as the heir) - it just made me a little sick to read that he's conscious of his image being used for things he doesn't approve of, which as I said initially, reeks of being self righteous, which I hate most modern footballers of being.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid

You can play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 but those formation looks good on paper. In reality RM has struggled every time we played anything else than 4-3-3.

With 4-4-2 Vinicious could play in the midfield to the left and in 3-5-2 he could play as wingback. None of those formations are ideal. The most realistic is probably Vinicious moving to the right or 3-5-2. It looks like RM will sign Rüdiger and he is used to playing in a formation with 3 CB. Our backs (Mendy, Carvajal, Vasquez) are poor compared to other big teams (City, Liverpool) so would not mind 3-5-2 with Vinicious and Rodrygo as wingbacks. It could work in FM, idk about real life :-)

The good thing about Vini and Rodrygo is they defend as well. If Mbappe does not like defending that will be a problem. He would have to perform like Ronaldo or carry the team like Benzema to make up for lack of defending.

It's weird how all the right footed wingers/forwards cannot play on the right side anymore. I think Ronaldo changed that role. Earlier those type of players would love to play on the right side and make delicious crosses for the CF to score the goals, but now they want to score themselves. I wonder if Figo and Beckham would play on the rightside in todays football?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Don't get me wrong, Mbappe is an amazing player, and I've said for a while that he'll be taking over from Messi/Ronaldo (this was when Neymar was being lauded as the heir) - it just made me a little sick to read that he's conscious of his image being used for things he doesn't approve of, which as I said initially, reeks of being self righteous, which I hate most modern footballers of being.
You chose to hear what you wanted to hear because you obviously decided he was self righteous in the first place. What Mbappé puts his veto is are commercials or partnerships that could be harmful to the youth like betting sites or junk food. It's not about the money, it's an ethical issue.
PSG being owned by Qatar has no impact on young french/PSG supporters, it's a totally different issue.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
:lol: What do I do...Great whataboutism, but I'll address it regardless - you have no idea what I do or give to charity, and I'd rather not publicise anything I do or give to charity to win brownie points from an idiot on a football forum (anyone who actively publicises what they do for charity have always made me question their motives).

With regards to Mbappe, he actively chose to represent a club sponsored by the Qatari government when he left Monaco when I'm sure he could have picked any club, which means he's fully in control of what that does to his image.

This was a rhetorical question, I don't expect you to actually answer it honestly. But I think it's nonsense to judge a player for choosing to go to his hometown club. Should all Newcastle fans stop being fans of the club now that it's been bought by the Saudis? Should a Newcastle kid no longer dream of playing for the club? Should City's seven fans have stopped following the club when they got taken over?

A club may have all kinds of owners, but it belongs to the fans in the first place, and same thing for the players. There's nothing hypocritical about that, it was just a poorly thought out criticism to judge a kid who wanted to join his hometown club at 18 years old, regardless of the owners. As @Oly Francis detailed, his reasoning are sound, not self-righteous. You're just seeing what you want to see.

You can play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 but those formation looks good on paper. In reality RM has struggled every time we played anything else than 4-3-3.

With 4-4-2 Vinicious could play in the midfield to the left and in 3-5-2 he could play as wingback. None of those formations are ideal. The most realistic is probably Vinicious moving to the right or 3-5-2. It looks like RM will sign Rüdiger and he is used to playing in a formation with 3 CB. Our backs (Mendy, Carvajal, Vasquez) are poor compared to other big teams (City, Liverpool) so would not mind 3-5-2 with Vinicious and Rodrygo as wingbacks. It could work in FM, idk about real life :-)

The good thing about Vini and Rodrygo is they defend as well. If Mbappe does not like defending that will be a problem. He would have to perform like Ronaldo or carry the team like Benzema to make up for lack of defending.

It's weird how all the right footed wingers/forwards cannot play on the right side anymore. I think Ronaldo changed that role. Earlier those type of players would love to play on the right side and make delicious crosses for the CF to score the goals, but now they want to score themselves. I wonder if Figo and Beckham would play on the rightside in todays football?
I don't doubt that Mbappe can make up for his lack of defense on the offense, he is a monster in production and I don't expect La Liga to change much of that once he's settled in, which I think will be very quick with a Benzema by his side. You can carry Mbappe because all the other forwards you mentioned will make up for his lack of pressing, and if anything, maybe by peer-pressure he will do more because as I said, he can actually be a pretty decent defender when he sets his mind to it due to his speed.

Last edited:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
This was a rhetorical question, I don't expect you to actually answer it honestly. But I think it's nonsense to judge a player for choosing to go to his hometown club. Should all Newcastle fans stop being fans of the club now that it's been bought by the Saudis? Should a Newcastle kid no longer dream of playing for the club? Should City's seven fans have stopped following the club when they got taken over?

A club may have all kinds of owners, but it belongs to the fans in the first place, and same thing for the players. There's nothing hypocritical about that, it was just a poorly thought out criticism to judge a kid who wanted to join his hometown club at 18 years old, regardless of the owners. As @Oly Francis detailed, his reasoning are sound, not self-righteous. You're just seeing what you want to see.
Sire it was, you just want yo shift the narrative from your boy Mbappe.

And yes, I quite frankly despise everything the likes of City, Newcastle, PSG and Chelsea represent, I obviously can't tell other fans how to support their club, but if United got purchased by the Saudis instead of Newcastle you can bet I wouldn't be supporting them anymore.

And no, I'm not seeing what I want to see, I literally had no idea about his image rights issue until I read your post, and anyone who claims to be meticulous about their image wouldn't choose to work for an oppressive regime - the problem with going public about what and who you want to represent opens you up to a load of instances where you can be labelled a hypocrite.

Status
Not open for further replies.