La Liga 2018/19

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
2 minutes added on, see what I mean.:lol: Premier league would've had 4-5 minutes no problem.

Tibs

What can you sy about Messi?

Cleaner than Neutragina, from the man from Argentina

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Great game where Barca showed once again they are hit and miss this season. Messi's goal was just sublime. I do wonder how he can score them every time.

izec

Barca still wont win the CL, they are just too easy to carve open and all over the place defensively at times. They will get a thrashing as usual in the quarter or semi finals, happened every year for a few years now where they just get completely picked apart away from home. They are a good league side, but to win the CL you cant just have a complete off game, when your opponent is burning. Dont know if it is the manager or the arrogance and leniency in the squad, but i dont rate Valverde highly either way. They are just missing a touch of stability and invincibility.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Honestly, La Liga is just boring this season. I don't even follow it anymore, I have no idea what Real's league position is, I don't know how big Barca's lead is on Atletico/Real. I don't know who is 4th, who is 5th. I don't know who the standout players are. I don't know who is punching above their weight, or who is heavily underperforming.

I can see why Real Madrid has won so few league titles in the past decade compared to their CL titles. La Liga's prestige is just not that big.

DavidDeSchmikes

Honestly, La Liga is just boring this season. I don't even follow it anymore, I have no idea what Real's league position is, I don't know how big Barca's lead is on Atletico/Real. I don't know who is 4th, who is 5th. I don't know who the standout players are. I don't know who is punching above their weight, or who is heavily underperforming.

I can see why Real Madrid has won so few league titles in the past decade compared to their CL titles. La Liga's prestige is just not that big.
Real Madrid is 3rd, Barca are atm 6 points clear. Sevila is 4th, Getafe is 5th. Alaves are punching above their weight

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Real Madrid is 3rd, Barca are atm 6 points clear. Sevila is 4th, Getafe is 5th. Alaves are punching above their weight
We also have a brilliant relegation battle, two big names could easily drop. Surprised at the above comment as this is most interesting La Liga has been for last decade.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Conversely, the league would be more prestigious/contested...if Real played better. A title race like most of those between Mourinho's arrival and last season (from 10/11 to 16/17) would be much more interesting. Except 12/13 (Jose's traditional 3rd season) the gap wasn't big at all, between 1 and 5 points.
Real have just completely fallen off a cliff in league form in the last 2 seasons.

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
Thought Alena was pretty decent tonight. Looks miles better than the slow and «safety first» Rakitic and Vidal. De Jong should go straight into the lineup next season. As of now, Barca’s best midfielder by a mile is Arthur.

Charlie Foley

Says more about you than the league. How can you know it’s boring if you don’t follow it?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Villarreal and?
Bilbao, never been relegated before so that would be one of the most momumental stories of the whole football season if they dropped (yes bigger than Liverpool winning the league).

Celta Vigo...not as historically a big club but they did play europa league semi final just two years ago so would be similar to Depor dropping.

Those two hugely in the mix. Even Valencia were only 4-5 points above bottom 3 a month ago before picking up.

Nick7

Bilbao, never been relegated before so that would be one of the most momumental stories of the whole football season if they dropped (yes bigger than Liverpool winning the league).

Celta Vigo...not as historically a big club but they did play europa league semi final just two years ago so would be similar to Depor dropping.

Those two hugely in the mix. Even Valencia were only 4-5 points above bottom 3 a month ago before picking up.
Ah I thought you were talking about Athletic but they seem to be in a better place now. But yeah really really tight from 6th down to 18th

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Espanyol are going to sack Rubi soon surely, losing to Villareal now 2-0 and they are on massive downward slide.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'd say Espanyol are in serious trouble. Losing to Villareal at the moment.
Rayo, Huesca and Valladolid the next three home games so chance to pick up two wins if they dismiss Rubi soon enough.

That's the thing about La Liga this season, you think a team's gone and then see they're playing likes of Valladolid and Huesca in next four games. You have Sevilla losing away to relegation candidates every other week now.

No relegation struggler would have sleepless night before facing Alaves and Getafe and these teams are 5th and 6th in La Liga!

What seems logical to me, you don't get 40 points this season you're probably getting relegated.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Rayo, Huesca and Valladolid the next three home games so chance to pick up two wins if they dismiss Rubi soon enough.

That's the thing about La Liga this season, you think a team's gone and then see they're playing likes of Valladolid and Huesca in next four games. You have Sevilla losing away to relegation candidates every other week now.

No relegation struggler would have sleepless night before facing Alaves and Getafe and these teams are 5th and 6th in La Liga!

What seems logical to me, you don't get 40 points this season you're probably getting relegated.
It's a weird league. We play Barcelona at home next week and got a draw at their place. Really disappointed with the result yesterday, but what does us sometimes is the teams around us picking up results they really aren't expected to get. I thought Sevilla would win last night, but really should have known better knowing their away form. If Barcelona left Messi at home we might just have a chance.
I have only seen the first goal from yesterdays game. Where were the defenders?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's a weird league. We play Barcelona at home next week and got a draw at their place. Really disappointed with the result yesterday, but what does us sometimes is the teams around us picking up results they really aren't expected to get. I thought Sevilla would win last night, but really should have known better knowing their away form. If Barcelona left Messi at home we might just have a chance.
I have only seen the first goal from yesterdays game. Where were the defenders?
Only saw the game from 1-0, Willian Jose scored a great goal which clinched things. Inaki Williams had no space to run into so he was pretty ineffective.

La Liga's issue is so many of the bigger clubs have underachieved. If yoou look beyond top 3 you'd say Sevilla, Villareal, Valencia, Real Sociedad and yes Bilbao would all be 6th-10th (or higher) due to history, tradition and actually the squads they have. All of them bar Sevilla have spent majority of the season in the bottom half! Even Betis have really struggled to get going, some good results and then they lose at Huesca.

So that creates space for upstarts like Getafe and Alaves to massively overachieve but very difficult for them to sustain form all season. Probably got the scenario now where playing 5th place team is easier fixture than the 10th.

Still rather have that than a top 6 miles clear of everyone as we get in the prem.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
:lol:

That's why Villareal is going sadly. Their back 4 options are horrible.

Bonera is 50 years old or whatever he is (remember him playing for Parma in early 00s in Serie A) and you also have Funes Mori who was complete trash at Everton. That's their CB pairing today.

If you can't beat Espanyol when 2-0 up at home you're not staying up.

DomesticTadpole

Only saw the game from 1-0, Willian Jose scored a great goal which clinched things. Inaki Williams had no space to run into so he was pretty ineffective.

La Liga's issue is so many of the bigger clubs have underachieved. If yoou look beyond top 3 you'd say Sevilla, Villareal, Valencia, Real Sociedad and yes Bilbao would all be 6th-10th (or higher) due to history, tradition and actually the squads they have. All of them bar Sevilla have spent majority of the season in the bottom half! Even Betis have really struggled to get going, some good results and then they lose at Huesca.

So that creates space for upstarts like Getafe and Alaves to massively overachieve but very difficult for them to sustain form all season. Probably got the scenario now where playing 5th place team is easier fixture than the 10th.

Still rather have that than a top 6 miles clear of everyone as we get in the prem.
I can't understand why anyone says it isn't interesting. You just don't know what you are going to get.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

This. Even Barcelona don't seem that bothered to win it this season after Madrid's 3 CLs in a row and Atletico have their eyes focused on the CL final that's in their stadium :lol:

It's a very weird year for the top teams in La Liga.

DomesticTadpole

:lol:

That's why Villareal is going sadly. Their back 4 options are horrible.

Bonera is 50 years old or whatever he is (remember him playing for Parma in early 00s in Serie A) and you also have Funes Mori who was complete trash at Everton. That's their CB pairing today.

If you can't beat Espanyol when 2-0 up at home you're not staying up.
I kept wondering where I knew that name from. Yes he is awful, so him and a pensioner is not wise.

Aduriz injury is a problem. Williams has been doing better lately, but as you say if he gets no space to work in he cannot do much. Aduriz has been such a focal point for them.

DomesticTadpole

This. Even Barcelona don't seem that bothered to win it this season after Madrid's 3 CLs in a row and Atletico have their eyes focused on the CL final that's in their stadium :lol:

If Atletico get to the CL final it should be riveting.

DomesticTadpole

Ended 2-2. Two points dropped for Villarreal. They go to Valladolid next Friday. Every week there seems to be a bunch of six pointers.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

La Liga just gives me the 'oh okay it's Barca's or Real's turn to win the league now' kind of vibe. No real 'prestige' attached to it, and little hype. In fact, both on the Caf and Reddit, Real's CL wins have been praised and mentioned far more often than Barca's league titles of the past decade.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
La Liga just gives me the 'oh okay it's Barca's or Real's turn to win the league now' kind of vibe. No real 'prestige' attached to it, and little hype. In fact, both on the Caf and Reddit, Real's CL wins have been praised and mentioned far more often than Barca's league titles of the past decade.
That's because Barca have been sleepwalking to the title in the majority of the last few years and Atletico has done a horrible job at challenging. Their ultra defensive style of play makes them drop points against minnows constantly, and they are extremely reliant on Griezmann to score the 1-0 every week for them.