La Liga 2020/21

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Nobody gets paid anywhere close to that, and nobody else could have offered him that much either at the time, i don't think. Barcelona on the other hand *had* to. Can you imagine the reaction if he left in 2017 or 18?
And you know that how?

Untill today you didnt know how much money Messi makes, but you know how much money the rest if the players do? How?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I understand that at that time he got such a good contract. Like the one that Madrid had to do with Bale (on a smaller level), and I also think Neymar had just left. In fact, it was already known that he earned over 50 net, that is, about one hundred million.
He does not have to say the "I would play for free" like Ramos, but 193 million for the renewal and loyalty ... I think it is excessive. I wonder if Madrid had to pay that to Cristiano for being loyal, hehe
isnt Ramos right now a contract
Issue as well for you guys? And he’s an all time legend

Pocho

Nobody gets paid anywhere close to that, and nobody else could have offered him that much either at the time, i don't think. Barcelona on the other hand *had* to. Can you imagine the reaction if he left in 2017 or 18?
I believe no one gives what Messi gives in terms of football production, wins, trophies, goals, assists, tshirts sales and sponsors contracts.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Then, Barcelona authorities are idiots that dont’t know how to negotiate a contract with a player

Not Messi’s fault

But i bet that they paid him that much money because there were teams willing to lay him a similar sum

And btw, if the contract is that bad for barcelona, why didn’t they let him go?

And afterwards, when they said “no” why didnt they sell him?

And why any if this is Messi’s fault?
Messi has no fault at all. I'm just saying it's excessive. Because he deserved it after a lifetime at the club, because of his successes or because after Neymar's departure they were in a position of strength. Surely this would not be known if they did not have to look for a scapegoat and cause his departure.
In his day they could not and did not want to let him go. Although there are picturesque clauses in Messi's contract, surely the problem are other contracts. Today I read that the biggest earner at Madrid earns like the seventh at Barcelona. I'm not sure if it's true.

I think that the leakers are trying to bring the idea that being aware in the first person, of the economic situation of the club he forced them to the maximum, while at the same time taking a slice of the supposed loyalty.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Messi has no fault at all. I'm just saying it's excessive. Because he deserved it after a lifetime at the club, because of his successes or because after Neymar's departure they were in a position of strength. Surely this would not be known if they did not have to look for a scapegoat and cause his departure.
In his day they could not and did not want to let him go. Although there are picturesque clauses in Messi's contract, surely the problem are other contracts. Today I read that the biggest earner at Madrid earns like the seventh at Barcelona. I'm not sure if it's true.

I think that the leakers are trying to bring the idea that being aware in the first person, of the economic situation of the club he forced them to the maximum, while at the same time taking a slice of the supposed loyalty.
it might be excessive if what messi gets is more that what messi makes

today i read a piece in sport.es that says that after paying messi, the club makes 100 million euros a year because of him

messi-genera-cuesta-11489183

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
isnt Ramos right now a contract
Issue as well for you guys? And he’s an all time legend
Yes, and seeing the latest news it seems that the outcome will come soon. Alaba, Pau Torres, Koundé, a super offer from PSG and a great supposed tension between them.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
it might be excessive if what messi gets is more that what messi makes

today i read a piece in sport.es that says that after paying messi, the club makes 100 million euros a year because of him

messi-genera-cuesta-11489183
Of course he generates a lot of money, not only for Barça. Look at Tebas today on his knees :D

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Of course he generates a lot of money, not only for Barça. Look at Tebas today on his knees :D
yes, some people are saying that La Liga gets better contracts because messi plays there

he is a money making machine

and the ones that say that barcelona would sell as many shirts without messi, they should ask the kids in bangladesh, india, china, japan, latin america and the rest of europe

two years ago i went to the barcelona shop in madrid and asked about messis shirts (the sales girl was hot, and she was wearing one) and she told me that 50 percent of the barcelonas shirts sold were messis

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I believe no one gives what Messi gives in terms of football production, wins, trophies, goals, assists, tshirts sales and sponsors contracts.
Cristiano does

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
yes, some people are saying that La Liga gets better contracts because messi plays there

he is a money making machine

and the ones that say that barcelona would sell as many shirts without messi, they should ask the kids in bangladesh, india, china, japan, latin america and the rest of europe

two years ago i went to the barcelona shop in madrid and asked about messis shirts (the sales girl was hot, and she was wearing one) and she told me that 50 percent of the barcelonas shirts sold were messis
I agree with you but at the same time you can't reduce everything to "how I produce x pay me y" or "this team pays me more",
eliminating the fact that it is the club of his life and that it seems they have squeezed it.
Y no te piques tanto contestando en español!

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I agree with you but at the same time you can't reduce everything to "how I produce x pay me y" or "this team pays me more",
eliminating the fact that it is the club of his life and that it seems they have squeezed it.
Y no te piques tanto contestando en español!
before messi, barcelona won 1 cl and was a respected club but not a superpower
even though they had players like Cruyff, the old suarez, fat ronaldo, figo, Maradona, Riquelme, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo. etc
with messi they won 4 cl

he deserves a monument were the Sagrada Familia stands

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He's definitely an active factor in his contract being the way it is, how can people say he has nothing to do with how much he gets paid??? There have to be demands in those negotiations from both parties and at the they somehow ended in that contract. The issue would be if he's really worth that much and personally I don't think he is, particularly if you only analyze the sporting side of the club and how it affects the other crazy figures they're splurging in other players who aren't as good as Messi. Probably there are other reasons beyond merely the team performance, it's more like a symbol for them to keep Messi, who they regard as their best player ever, and it will surely affect them negatively in the short term if he leaves as the team is so used to play around Messi. Look at Real Madrid without Ronaldo and if Messi leaves to, let's say Manchester City, it would also affect our league.

I don't think he's going to accept a pay cut so it puts Barcelona in a though position if they intend on negotiating a new contract. So I think the sensate thing to do would be for Barcelona and Messi to part ways but maybe they don't do it. It's very likely Atlético is going to win the league so if Messi where to leave the club I think he would prefer to be winning something like a league title or the UCL. Then he also benefits from playing in Barcelona, they made him the player he is and he is what he is thanks to them; so it's been something ballistic what has been going between some directives of the club and Messi.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
He's definitely an active factor in his contract being the way it is, how can people say he has nothing to do with how much he gets paid??? There have to be demands in those negotiations from both parties and at the they somehow ended in that contract. The issue would be if he's really worth that much and personally I don't think he is, particularly if you only analyze the sporting side of the club and how it affects the other crazy figures they're splurging in other players who aren't as good as Messi. Probably there are other reasons beyond merely the team performance, it's more like a symbol for them to keep Messi, who they regard as their best player ever, and it will surely affect them negatively in the short term if he leaves as the team is so used to play around Messi. Look at Real Madrid without Ronaldo and if Messi leaves to, let's say Manchester City, it would also affect our league.

I don't think he's going to accept a pay cut so it puts Barcelona in a though position if they intend on negotiating a new contract. So I think the sensate thing to do would be for Barcelona and Messi to part ways but maybe they don't do it. It's very likely Atlético is going to win the league so if Messi where to leave the club I think he would prefer to be winning something like a league title or the UCL. Then he also benefits from playing in Barcelona, they made him the player he is and he is what he is thanks to them; so it's been something ballistic what has been going between some directives of the club and Messi.
No one said he has nothing to do with what he gets paid.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
No one said he has nothing to do with what he gets paid.
Then I'm interpreting it wrong but that's what I get when people say it's not his fault or that he isn't responsible for the contract.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Then I'm interpreting it wrong but that's what I get when people say it's not his fault or that he isn't responsible for the contract.
He is responsible for HIS contract and he signed it

So did Barcelona authorities after long negotiations

What people are saying is that no one twisted barcelonas arms to sign that comtract

In fact, barcelona had the chance to let him go but they decided to keep him

So one of two things: a) barcelona makes more money with messi than without him
b) all barcelona staff are idiots

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Or Messi will go for sure at the end of the season and they want him gone in January so they don't have to pay him the bonus.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Or Messi will go for sure at the end of the season and they want him gone in January so they don't have to pay him the bonus.
well, that's clearly the reason that his contract was made public

they want to tell the fans that they can't pay him that money so it's not the management fault if he leaves

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

read the article from the athletic, he’s responsible for at least 30% of Barca’s overall revenue, he’s absolutely worth that contract, no one of note is complaining about it

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He is responsible for HIS contract and he signed it

So did Barcelona authorities after long negotiations

What people are saying is that no one twisted barcelonas arms to sign that comtract

In fact, barcelona had the chance to let him go but they decided to keep him

It was a mutual agreement and he had to be involved in the negotiations, if you think he's worth that much and a justifiable figure then it's totally fine but don't try to fool people telling he's not responsible or that he isn't the one demanding that type of money.

Anyway if I was a Barcelona socio and considered that it was crazy money for him I would be more upset with the institution rather than with him as they're the ones in charge of managing the finances of the club. So I'm not even trying to insinuate he's at fault for bankruptcy and the other surrounding issues.

read the article from the athletic, he’s responsible for at least 30% of Barca’s overall revenue, he’s absolutely worth that contract, no one of note is complaining about it
I've read it and I still have my doubts but it's something beside the point anyway as the institution values him that much and like I was saying it's something understandable they want to hold onto him, no matter what, for different reasons including his value as a marketable figure

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It was a mutual agreement and he had to be involved in the negotiations, if you think he's worth that much and a justifiable figure then it's totally fine but don't try to fool people telling he's not responsible or that he isn't the one demanding that type of money.

Anyway if I was a Barcelona socio and considered that it was crazy money for him I would be more upset with the institution rather than with him as they're the ones in charge of managing the finances of the club. So I'm not even trying to insinuate he's at fault for bankruptcy and the other surrounding issues.

I've read it and I still have my doubts but it's something beside the point anyway as the institution values him that much and like I was saying it's something understandable they want to hold onto him, no matter what, for different reasons including his value as a marketable figure
I never once said it’s not his fault, I just think as insane as the money he’s comfortably been worth it.

kaempen

Not like Real Madrid were suddenly making 15-40% less revenue when Ronaldo left. These are just excuses trying to justify Messi's greed and Barca's stupidity. They would easily find that revenue through all the other players they could buy when freed from Messi's wage.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Not like Real Madrid were suddenly making 15-40% less revenue when Ronaldo left. These are just excuses trying to justify Messi's greed and Barca's stupidity. They would easily find that revenue through all the other players they could buy when freed from Messi's wage.
no they couldn’t. Read the article the athletic put out, Messi is responsible for more than 30% of their revenue

Madrid took a hit as well when Ronaldo left:

https://en.as.com/en/2018/12/16/football/1544961215_095217.html

kaempen

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I never once said it’s not his fault, I just think as insane as the money he’s comfortably been worth it.
Probably, as a player he's really something else but can't imagine Real Madrid giving a contract like that to anyone. Maybe if Ronaldo had been a homegrown player adored by everyone he could be still playing for Real Madrid, in fact I would had love him to stay as I still consider a valuable player and of course will want someone like Messi himself playing for us. If you lose any of those 2 players there's really no one to replace them so even if you get a shit ton of money selling them everything else is going to feel like a downgrade.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yes, it would just come from other players and other investments. How hard is it to understand? Madrid were number one in the world in terms of revenue in 2020. Don't be ridiculous.

Yes, it would just come from other players and other investments. How hard is it to understand? Madrid were number one in the world in terms of revenue in 2020. Don't be ridiculous.
Madrid took a hit when Ronaldo left once again:

And Barca were #1 for revenue in 2020 not Madrid, get your facts right. Barca have done a horrible job in giving big contracts to players besides Messi hence the mess they are in. Messi has absolutely been worth his contract, the other large ones have not. Period.

https://www.cityam.com/worlds-richest-football-clubs-2020/

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Probably, as a player he's really something else but can't imagine Real Madrid giving a contract like that to anyone. Maybe if Ronaldo had been a homegrown player adored by everyone he could be still playing for Real Madrid, in fact I would had love him to stay as I still consider a valuable player and of course will want someone like Messi himself playing for us. If you lose any of those 2 players there's really no one to replace them so even if you get a shit ton of money selling them everything else is going to feel like a downgrade.
Yeah, Ronaldo foolishly left for financial reasons as I think both him and Madrid need each other as Juventus can’t even get past quarter finals in CL. Hopefully the money issue doesn’t effect Ramos potentially leaving as well.

It’s a crazy contract but as you said, Messi being with the team from such a young age almost feeling homegrown, and the trophy before and after Messi arrived has been astronomical.

kaempen

Madrid took a hit when Ronaldo left once again:

And Barca were #1 for revenue in 2020 not Madrid, get your facts right. Barca have done a horrible job in giving big contracts to players besides Messi hence the mess they are in. Messi has absolutely been worth his contract, the other large ones have not. Period.

https://www.cityam.com/worlds-richest-football-clubs-2020/
Yes, I misread one of the lists. However, their revenue kept increasing after Ronaldo left, despite their worsened CL performances in addition. Thus, there was no real hit to Real Madrid’s revenue when Ronaldo left. Only now during covid has it taken a hit, like we’re seeing at every club. In the 2021 Deloitte Money League report, Madrid are number two with almost exactly the same revenue as Barca. But whatever, people can keep deluding themselves that 30% of Barca’s revenue would simply be erased from Messi leaving.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League
https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pag.../articles/deloitte-football-money-league.html

Last edited:

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Yes, I misread one of the lists. However, their revenue kept increasing after Ronaldo left, despite their worsened CL performances in addition. Thus, there was no real hit to Real Madrid’s revenue when Ronaldo left. Only now during covid has it taken a hit, like we’re seeing at every club. In the 2021 Deloitte Money League report, Madrid are number two with almost exactly the same revenue as Barca.
https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pag.../articles/deloitte-football-money-league.html
It's incredible how in 10 years the big clubs literally doubled their revenue, from around 400 to around 800 M€.
The smaller clubs are being completely wiped out by this snowballing monstrosity.

In Porto in 2010 we had maybe a 60 M€ budget and nowadays it's around 90 M€, so the difference to top european clubs went from 340 M€ in 2010 to 710 M€ now. Impossible to compete.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yes, I misread one of the lists. However, their revenue kept increasing after Ronaldo left, despite their worsened CL performances in addition. Thus, there was no real hit to Real Madrid’s revenue when Ronaldo left. Only now during covid has it taken a hit, like we’re seeing at every club. In the 2021 Deloitte Money League report, Madrid are number two with almost exactly the same revenue as Barca. But whatever, people can keep deluding themselves that 30% of Barca’s revenue would simply be erased from Messi leaving.
Barcelona rely on tourism to help fill their seats more than any other club. They need to fill 100,000 seats. We have articles from the athletic researching and finding that Messi does in fact contribute to over 30% of their revenue. He’s an icon of the city more than Ronaldo was to Madrid as Messi has been at Barca his whole career. Barca will absolutely take a massive hit once Messi leaves, and by the same token city or psg will get a huge boost once Messi joins.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
In 2004/05 (72,483), 05/06 (73,385), 06/07 (74,468) Barca - pre-Messi icon era - had a higher average attendance than in 5 of the last ten years (discounting 19/20 and 20/21 for COVID). In the remaining years it was only about 1-4K higher per year. So it's a myth that there's this huge increase in attendances in games. Commercial revenue has gone up significantly, but the way Barca report their figures are as murky as all get out. They signed a massive kit deal with Nike, which means increased shirt sales don't benefit them much, then taking over their retail operations worldwide, boosting their revenue by running their retail stores but also incurring mammoth costs in the process. A lot of talk about revenue but very little about margins. Retail operations are tough and expensive to run. Add to this they include all their revenue from their other sporting brands and also their incoming transfer fees to their revenue, and the economic picture at Barca has always been very murky and difficult to decipher. Usually hugely misleading to the casual observer. The bottom line, one which is unavoidable, is that the business consistently runs at a loss and year on year is incurring significant debt to an unsustainable level. The problem is systemic, not specific. From a lack of competence in running retail operations, to poor decisions in the transfer market, to unsustainable player remuneration packages, it all contributes to an organisation that is currently unsustainable economically. And regardless of the value Messi contributes, or doesn't, that basic fact is impossible to escape.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The one thing that might actually impact them financially if they lose messi is that both the rakuten and beko sponsorships end at the end of this season, and Messi was certainly a big part of those sponaorships...

But a 1/3 of their revenue? Yeah, that's propaganda imo

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I have nothing against you @Daysleeper but I must ask, are you paid for the uber pro-Barca PR? You damn well should be.
ive been bashing the Barca board for years, I think we are in an era of some of the worst Barca sides we have seen in ages. I reckon we’ll get smacked around by psg in a couple weeks.

I do think we finally have a nice young core that is up and coming. But I’m actually a bit pessimistic about the club as this recent board has run this team into the ground. I just don’t think the Messi contract is a blunder but a lot of the other contracts they’ve handed out have been

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The one thing that might actually impact them financially if they lose messi is that both the rakuten and beko sponsorships end at the end of this season, and Messi was certainly a big part of those sponaorships...

But a 1/3 of their revenue? Yeah, that's propaganda imo
I don’t think the athletic is feeding into propaganda or PR. They’ve bashed Barca plenty of times. Athletic do really good research in fairness

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don’t think the athletic is feeding into propaganda or PR. They’ve bashed Barca plenty of times. Athletic do really good research in fairness
But it's all theoretical. They can't actually prove that is the case. It's financial experts making guesses

At the end of the day most of the income is fixed for a number of years. Tv deals and sponsorships deals aren't renegotiated yearly. Stadium income and merchandise, sure, but at this point in time barcelona have grown big enough that they're still gonna rake it in on both accounts regardless of Messi(just like madrid with cristiano. Yes, there was a negative impact, but ultimately the club didn't suddenly lose hundreds of millions after selling him. Neither will barcelona, probably)

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
But it's all theoretical. They can't actually prove that is the case. It's financial experts making guesses

At the end of the day most of the income is fixed for a number of years. Tv deals and sponsorships deals aren't renegotiated yearly. Stadium income and merchandise, sure, but at this point in time barcelona have grown big enough that they're still gonna rake it in on both accounts regardless of Messi(just like madrid with cristiano. Yes, there was a negative impact, but ultimately the club didn't suddenly lose hundreds of millions after selling him. Neither will barcelona, probably)
I hope you’re right, it’s just so frustrating how irresponsible this board has been with finances I feel like it may take a few years to fully recover