La Liga 2020/21

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, and Ramos/Modric are still your best players with Benzema. Kinda shows there's a huge rebuilding job ahead. In general, Liga clubs made terrible choices since 2017 in their recruitment (the worst being obviously Barcelona).
I mean, Hazard, Jovic, Griezmann, Coutinho, Dembele, Felix, Lemar, Vinicius, Militao, Malcom, Guedes, Lenglet, Mendy, Rodrygo...
You have close to 1 billion in useless transfers (so far, some players are still good though) among the top clubs.
But there is something about Real Madrid which is different in this case though. Leaving suspect signings aside like Hazard, Jovic and Militao which of course have been detrimental, this is a club that has spent very little with respect to their sales as compared to any other club in Europe since Zidane took over.

So that might facilitate the rebuilding a little bit.

Raredaredevil

Barcelona still goalless against Elche a relegation team 18th in the league. Won't be surprised if Barca drop points again. They are seriously trolling us now.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Barcelona still goalless against Elche a relegation team 18th in the league. Won't be surprised if Barca drop points again. They are seriously trolling us now.
They've made several chances, though. When it comes to finishing them off, however, they've struggled, and they've also reliant on Messi for creativity in the final third. At least Frenkie de Jong is offering himself in the final third for more options.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
But there is something about Real Madrid which is different in this case though. Leaving suspect signings aside like Hazard, Jovic and Militao which of course have been detrimental, this is a club that has spent very little with respect to their sales as compared to any other club in Europe since Zidane took over.

So that might facilitate the rebuilding a little bit.
Mendy, Rodrygo and Vinicius are also at least 45M a piece (we don't really know with Real, it was said Hazard was actually far more expensive than the 115M that were anounced) but I agree with you, you didn't spent 400M in one mercato like what we did in 2017 (even if it forces us to have balanced account sheets since that period) or 400M for your defense line like City.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That was inevitable. Barcelona had way too much time in Elche's final third to not get a goal. Adding an extra attacking player has freed up Messi some more and gave him the time and space to execute this give-and-go with Braithwaite through the middle and side-foot the ball past the Elche keeper into the net.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mendy is good and vini and rodrygo are young and full of potential (for future sales :D )

But anyways, Ramos and Benzema haven't shown signs of slowing down quite yet, Varane is still here, Kroos and Casemiro are still great and Valverde is good

We need a Mbappé/Haaland monster forward to be competitive right away

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
De Jong's dribbling played such a big part in that. His close control dribbling at a fairly fast speed caught Elche completely off guard. Messi, though, did really well, too, and showed us the quality that we're all used to seeing from him. His close control to beat one panicking Elche defender before chipping the ball past the keeper was a joy to see.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
This team are still miles off being CL winner calibre, but there are enough good young talents and good squad players that with a few top signings, they could be decent again and compete for trophies regularly.

James Peril

Amazingly, Barcelona are still in this title race. I have always been Real over Barca and so on, but it would be amazing if they won the league after being soooo incredibly down and out earlier in the season. Says everything about the level in Spain these days I guess and the poor financial management... the other teams are just dreadful.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Mendy, Rodrygo and Vinicius are also at least 45M a piece (we don't really know with Real, it was said Hazard was actually far more expensive than the 115M that were anounced) but I agree with you, you didn't spent 400M in one mercato like what we did in 2017 (even if it forces us to have balanced account sheets since that period) or 400M for your defense line like City.
Even if someone decides to count the maximum amount for Hazard it is possible to check the overall figures in Transfermarkt and see there is very little investment no matter which club you compare it with. In 4 or 5 years there was a season with big investment and that's about it.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
this didn't age well, but barca won't win the league regardless

Raredaredevil

this didn't age well, but barca won't win the league regardless
I have had my hands burnt by Barcelona so many times this season so much that I don't trust your team anymore. :lol: All those unnecessary dropped points have already caused you the title, and as another poster has pointed out, it's incredible that you're only 2 points behind Real and 5 points behind Atletico, albeit they have a game in hand despite your horrible form in the league. I really can't see it too unless you win all your remaining games this season just like how Real came back to beat you to the title last season.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I have had my hands burnt by Barcelona so many times this season so much that I don't trust your team anymore. :lol: All those unnecessary dropped points have already caused you the title, and as another poster has pointed out, it's incredible that you're only 2 points behind Real and 5 points behind Atletico, albeit they have a game in hand despite your horrible form in the league. I really can't see it too unless you win all your remaining games this season just like how Real came back to beat you to the title last season.
haha we are good at beating mid table teams but against Atletico, both Madrids and Sevilla we have yet to win. In a race this close that is suicide. I don’t want to be over dramatic but Cadiz felt like the nail in the coffin. I hope I’m wrong but then again if we miraculously do win the league it would just be a blight on how poor la liga is this year

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
All those unnecessary dropped points have already caused you the title, and as another poster has pointed out, it's incredible that you're only 2 points behind Real and 5 points behind Atletico, albeit they have a game in hand despite your horrible form in the league. I really can't see it too unless you win all your remaining games this season just like how Real came back to beat you to the title last season.
Atletico Madrie have the highest points per games ratio among the top 4 leagues in europe. Barcelona being 5 points behind(with one more game played) shows their results haven't been nearly as bad as it seems

Raredaredevil

Great assist from Messi. I was expecting to see Barca struggle in this match. Surprised they take the lead.

Anduin

Barca’s league form has been terrific though, they’ve taken 33/39 points in their last 13 league games and were incredibly unlucky against Cadiz. Messi seems to be on a mission though, he’s basically the sole reason their results are as good as they are with so many players out, especially in defence. If Atlético bottle this, it will be interesting whether Real or Barca take the title.

Anduin

I have no idea how Atleti managed a clean sheet so far, Villarreal certainly deserved at least a goal for their efforts. Atleti very efficient, cracking goal by Felix though.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Police search at the Barcelona offices (Barçagate). They have arrested Bartomeu, the general director and the head of legal services

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Poor Bartomeu, probably Messi has the Spanish police in strangle hold as well.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I am reading about this, and it looks way more serious than I thought.

I guess we'll have more reliable information on this later on.

always_hoping

Real Madrid 0-0 at home to Sociedad at half time. The hosts had some good opportunities including one headed effort off the crossbar but was towards the end of the half before they managed to get a shot on target.

Raredaredevil

Real Sociedad 1-0. If this result remains and Real Madrid loses to Atletico Madrid next, that's them out of the title race.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Vinicius with a deflected goal, the guy is a meme.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Dont understand Sevilla.

Having a 2:0 lead and then defending this open, but looks like a Lopetegui team can't concentrate on defense only.