La Liga/Serie A/BuLi Draft - 1st Rd KM vs Aldo/The Stain

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marty1968

Please remember that players should only be judged by their performances in their assigned leagues for this draft (not career peak)

Lineups

vs

Team KM.............................................................................vs........................................Team Aldo/Stain

Last edited:

Marty1968

Team KM Tactics

Player Profiles:

Goalkeeper
:
Courtois: Fairly straightforward this, one of the best goalkeepers in the world when he was at At. Madrid. Winner of the Zomora trophy and best La Liga goalkeeper awarded by the LFP.

Defenders:

First the fullbacks. At right back is Lukas Piszczek who at his peak was one of the best right backs in the world and a very crucial aspect of the team which dominated Germany for two years, joining him on the other flank is Felipe Luis who is just world class at defending and has an habit of neutralizing the world’s best attackers(Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi etc) . In the central defense, I’ve a very complimentary pair of Bonucci who’s perhaps amongst the finest central defenders right now and is a very good passer and user of the football. Not for nothing Guardiola has called him “one of his favorite players ever” whilst joining him is the main who successfully marked Diego Maradona out of the world cup 1990 final and thus helping Germany win the world cup that year. The man who only didn’t move to Italy due to his loyalty to Stuggart and is world class as a central defender,Guido Buchwald.

Midfield:

In midfield, I’ve tried to go for a tried and tested route of a defensive midfielder, deep lying playmaker and an attacking midfielder. First of Marcos Senna, I think by now everybody knows how crucial he was to both Spain and Villarreal’s success. He’ll be acting as a defensive midfielder in the team which help the the creative players to do their stuff. Just ahead of him will be Demetrio Albertini and Zvonimir Boban who’ll be both continuing their partnership from the Great AC MILAN team of the 90’s. Albertini is known for his pinpoint accuracy of passes and ability to start attacks from deep will control the tempo of the match and Boban who excelled in the role as a playmaker with his excellent vision and unique technical ability which will help the forward line.

Attack:

Biased or not but I think I’ve the best attacking lineup in this whole draft. Starting with the right wing, I’ll have Marcos Reus and Griezmann on right and left wing respectively. Both of them are very good crossers, pacy with great technical skills and also have a very good goalscoring record and will surely ensure that the opposition fullbacks have no chance to catch a breath. In the striking role I’ve the one and only Zlatan who is the most complete center forward of his era(besides the obvious TWO). Long range goals? Check. Heading? Check. Finishing. Check. Creative passing? Check. There’s not a thing which this can’t do on the pitch.

Tactics:

As you can see from the graphic above, I’m playing a standard 4-3-3 with both of the defenders not playing a high line or playing deep. They’ll be somewhere in the middle. Bonucci being one of the finest ball playing defenders in the world will compliment Buchwald who was excellent in marking the opposition striker out of the game.

With the fullbacks, I’ve gone with the route of tried and tested one attacking and one defensive fullback(see Brown and Evra for us. Abidal and Alves for Barcelona) That’s not to say that Piszczek and Felipe Luis are bad at defending and attacking obviously, it just means that both of them will have different emphasis whilst Piszczek will go forward at every opportunity whilst the likes of Luis will be perhaps more conservative in his approach and go for a safety first thing. Also the fact that they’ve their club partners just ahead of them is a big factor as to why I’ll dominate the flanks.

Again in the midfield, I’ve gone for a very balanced looking thing. Senna as shown in the Spain and Villarreal will give his creative players loads of space to play with(see Riquelme and Xavi) and snuff out any opposition attacks and will mainly concentrate on his defensive duties. Albertini will be the DLP in my team. He will control the tempo of the game with his pinpoint passing and attack from deep(Alonso, Pirlo, Scholesy), the fact that he’s also great at freekicks is an excellent bonus. Ahead of them will be Boban who’ll play in his favored playmaking role and ensure that he finds space and gets the ball as quickly to my attacking players whilst also getting in good scoring positions.

Reus and Griezmann are two of the finest wingers in the world right now. Not only are they are very good at crossing the ball, but both of them make excellent runs and have a good goalscoring record which means that even if the defenders have marked Zlatan out of the game which in itself is very unlikely they can’t rest easily because there is no shortage of goals in my attacking three. Ofcourse ahead of them is Zlatan who’ll dominate every central defender on the pitch. The thing about Zlatan is that he bully the defenders on strength or just outskill them with his ridiculous technical ability and not a lot of player can do that. With him playing as a lone striker, and the likes of Reus, Griezmann and Boban behind him, he’ll get a shitload chances to score.

If in an unlikely even, I’m falling behind, I’ve got Aubameyang on the bench another one with ridiculous pace and goal scoring ability which will stretch any defense in the world and ultimately lead me to a goal.

SERIE A:
Zlatan
Bonucci
Boban
Albertini

La Liga:
Courtois
Luis
Senna
Griezmann

Bundesliga:
Reus
Buchwald
Piszczek
Aubameyang

Marty1968

Team Aldo/Stain Tactics

Tactical Layout

Protecting one of the best German goalkeepers of his time, Raimond Aumann, is a tightly-knit unit of hard as nails defenders across the leagues. In the middle, Paolo Montero and Thomas Linkeform the central defensive partnership. Montero will be marshalling the unit with his no nonsense approach and keep it disciplined. In Linke, he has just the partner to provide immense aerial strength and tackling whilst being calm and organised at the back.

Vincent Candela
will be playing as an attacking left-back using his wonderful skills and control on the ball to combine with Davids/Henry going forward. He had loads of pace and stamina to run up and down the flank as well as being a support act in penetrating runs. On the other flank is Jocelyn Angloma. A physical specimen, strong, powerful and concentrated in defense. He will be playing in a more defense minded role providing support going forward and tucking in with the rest of the defensive unit at the back.

Anchoring the midfield is the Argentine powerhouse Javier Mascherano. He will act as a link between defence and midfield. When in possession, he will drop in to central defense with Montero and Linke drifting wider and Candela becoming the left-wingback. He'll be at home in this role bringing out the best of his abilities that has made him a key figure at Barcelona. He brings tough tackling, aggression and is as good a shield for a defense as you can find.

In central mid we find the general Edgar Davids. With Mascherano behind him providing the platform, Davids has full freedom to impact the midfield battle both in defense and attack, using his phenomenal athleticism and stamina as well as his class and technique on the ball. As they say, a true box to box midfielder in his element, he'll be a star in this team.

Bringing out the best of this bunch is the Spanish midfielder Gaizka Mendieta. Again, in a right-sided attacking midfield role he'll be at his finest, providing the attacking punch this team needs with his wonderful technique, passing and shooting ability as well as using his work ethic and stamina to be a presence in midfield. He will defend with the rest of the unit. Davids and Mendieta are two complete midfielders playing in the roles that would be best suited to their abilities and they'll make a difference in controlling the game at the heart of it.

In possession, we aim to keep the ball moving quickly and have it reach the feet of the attacking players at the right time. Given the class and ability of our midfield unit, we will be playing on the front foot, assuming control of the game more often than not. Dictating terms and pegging the opposition back whilst also launching swift transitions as the midfield unit presented here is used to playing at a high tempo and showing intent when it matters. They'll add a lot of intensity to the game and use it to their advantage.

The right winger is the German World Cup winner Pierre Littbarski. A complete winger capable of playing either side or through the middle, he marries world class dribbling with great technique, pace, powerful shooting and an aggressive mentality. He'll be having the freedom to take on his man time and again or alternatively combine with the likes of Angloma/Mendieta/Makaay and conjure a fast, clinical attack.

Running the left channel is Thierry Henry, in the role he played at Barca. A key part of a devastating trio. His role in this team is to stretch play, provide pace, control and great one touch play and most importantly, being a presence in the box and add immensely to the goal threat, which he will be sharing mainly with Das Phantom, Roy Makaay.

A complete centre forward, his role is to spear head the attack, occupy the CB's, use his phenomenal aerial ability to get at the end of crosses and also make use of his world class finishing with either foot to finish the chances.

Key Factors
  • Davids and Mendieta in the middle, an uncompromising midfield duo. Their ability in both defense and attack will keep the game in our hands, and they will play a high intensity game.
  • The left side of Candela-Davids-Henry. Candela will be perfect to bomb forward and combine with Davids and a cutting-in Henry using his excellent control and interplay. They can be seen complementing each other beautifully and this results in an imposing and threatening area for our team.
  • Similarly, Mendieta and Littbarski would be dovetailing beautifully, with Mendieta's ability to go wide complementing Littbarski's style of cutting in and the two would again use the ball intelligently as well as dangerously in that area.
  • Mascherano will be in his comfort zone with the two CB's providing him space to drop into central defense and he is capable of completely dominating that deeper zone of play.
  • The goal threat of Henry+Makaay with support from Littbarski and Mendieta is a big task to handle for any team.
  • Makaay's fantastic aerial ability will be devastating with the crosses coming in from the likes of Candela, Angloma and Littbarski.

Marty1968

@Rado_N can you make a poll for us as always?

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?
Team KM
Team Aldo/The Stain

Cheers Rado!

Moby

Dick
La Liga
Gaizka Mendieta
Thierry Henry
Javier Mascherano
Jocelyn Angloma

Serie A
Edgar Davids
Paolo Montero
Vincent Candela
Gianfranco Zola (sub)

Bundesliga
Pierre Littbarski
Roy Makaay
Thomas Linke
Raimond Aumann

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
If we are taking on league peaks then how is Mascherano a good pick at defensive midfield, considering he played most of his matches as a center back for Barcelona?

KM

Also I know about five players on Aldo's team. A DM would've helped definitely :(

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Also I know about five players on Aldo's team. A DM would've helped definitely :(
any special reason why you have Reus on the right and Griezmann on the left? It should be the other way around imo

KM

TACTICAL CHANGE:

After a retarded three minutes, TEAM KM has interchanged Griezmann and Reus.

Moby

Dick
If we are taking on league peaks then how is Mascherano a good pick at defensive midfield, considering he played most of his matches as a center back for Barcelona?
Two things:

Mascherano doesn't play as a traditional CB at Barca.
He isn't playing as a traditional DM in our team.

The two roles in fact, mirror each other. At Barca, he is used to pressing high up the field, often arriving at the same area he is positioned in this team. It's the space between the lines that he defends, and has done for most of his career.

KM

AMENDED FORMATION:

Moby

Dick
@Aldo @The Stain have such a beautiful setup, with Mascherano perfect for that role and Davids-Mendieta above him is just superb, but.. Zlatan can run riots here.
I wouldn't go that far, especially after we have placed three absolute beasts at every point he can threaten us.

Paolo Montero - uncompromising typical Uruguayan defender famous for his physical and aggressive play, at the highest level of the game.
Thomas Linke - one of the greatest defenders in the air in this draft and closest you can get to how Vidic shut Zlatan down in 2009.
Javier Mascherano - one of the best tacklers in the draft, positioned precisely where Zlatan would like to operate, has pace, power, stamina and big game raising ability.

I doubt you can take better measures to take care of him with the available player pool. Not one, but three players who counter his strengths and would be all over him wherever he pops up.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
All from KM's write-up:

All world class defenders. Emphasize on national team performances. Best attacking line-up in the draft. Zlatan will bully every central defender. Zlatan is great at heading. Piszczek will bomb forward at every opportunity. He will dominate the flanks. Albertini will control the tempo of the game. Boban in his favoured role. Zlatan will get "a shitload chances to score". And, "in the unlikely event we're falling behind, there's always Aubameyang on the bench".

Guess we're fecked, then.

The thing is though; most of that is inaccurate, false or just strange tactical instructions that our team will exploit. Hopefully some voters have read this and acknowledge that this provides a major advantage to our side.

Firstly, calling all the defenders world class is questionable at best. And national team performances mean squat in this draft.

Zlatan won't bully Montero/Linke. No fecking way. With Mascherano pressing him as well, he will have a whole world of hurt on his hands. Zlatan isn't good at headers when it comes to being a goal-threat. What he excells at is heading high balls in the direction of his team-mates. Another misjudgment.

We welcome Piszczek always going forward. Our left flank is pretty good to be honest here and the opposition would have been smart to take note of that so i forsee us having plenty of successful attacks in this area.

Smart to have Luis more restricted, though. Littbarski will still find ways to outsmart him.

He says he'll dominate the flanks. He doesn't really know what he's up against. Candela/Davids/Henry on one side and mainly Mendieta/Littbarski on the right will sure test his defence. Angloma to keep a close eye on his man.

He hasn't really lined up in a 4-3-3 at all. It's a 4-2-3-1. Senna should be playing at the base to get the maximum out of him. Not sure if Boban is playing in his best position either. Was he not more comfortable as CM or right-sided player?

Albertini won't controll the tempo of this game. Our central midfield will dominate this match. It's more balanced and our players are in the right positions to maximise their abilities, unlike the oppositions. He would have been better adviced to focus on counters in my opinion.

All these tactical flaws is why we have the upper hand in this game and should have a good chance of winning this.

The Stain

Also, i know Griezmann has played on the right but he's clearly been better as a 10 or second striker.

Marty1968

Some great players on both teams but would make the following observations:

- Senna was most definitely a holding mid and should be positioned just in front of the CB's in my view.
- Felipe Luis against Littbarski is a bit of a mis-match. Although Littbarski is more recognized for his international form than club level he was still excellent and Luis would have to work extremely hard defensively to contain him, thereby limiting his attacking abilities.
- Mascherano has perfomed much better for Barca as a CB rather than CDM in my view.
- Montero's physicality against Zlatan will be a great battle and I don't see it as an obvious winner in either direction.
- Who would mark Makaay and Henry? Henry loved to cut inside and Pizczek would clearly follow. Candela would then have plenty of opportunity to surge forward.

Will see how the other comments go before voting.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I normally go with this principle: You look at the player's skill set, how he normally plays, what he normally does, in what area of the pitch he normally operates – and then you decide whether he's in the right (or in a good) position or not. His nominal position, in whatever historical context is relevant to the draft – is of less importance.

Barca's set-up isn't an average one, nor is Mascherano playing as an average CB: In fact, you could say the system depends on him not having to do the latter.

Based on his Barca career (see the points above), is he out of position here, for Aldo/Stain's team? Clearly not.

The Stain

Mascherano as a DM though.
- Mascherano has perfomed much better for Barca as a CB rather than CDM in my view.
Well, we have defined Mascherano's role in the write-up. He's a third central defender when we are in possession. He steps out of defence when defending to press the opposition threats. But hey, let's focus on him and not how at least 3 of the oppositions players are out of position.

VivaJanuzaj

Yes but the difference between Zlatan's hight to your defenders -
Zlatan 1.95

Monetro - 1.79
Linke - 1.83
Mascherano - 1.74

Average is 1.78 and a bit against Zlatan's 1.95
It's huge.

Marty1968

Zlatan 1.95

Monetro - 1.79
Linke - 1.83
Mascherano - 1.74

It's huge.
Just because you're tall doesn't make you great in the air. Just look at Crouch. Compare him to Ronaldo who is quite considerably shorter than him but has more spring than most others in the world.

Enigma_87

You know who
Couple of points:

I see KM defence a bit light here. Littbarski vs Luis as other mentioned is a bit of a mismatch. Littbarski is a great dribbler and he used to be excellent at Koln as well(from what I know about him).

Aldo/Stain defence IMO is better man for man and as a unit as I think Montero/Linke is fine partnership.

Now for the midfield I'm sure there will be plenty of controversy considering Mascherano's role, as he plays CB for Barcelona and since here it is league peak KM would surely have a case of him not operating in that role for Barca. From memory he only played handful of games as CDM and is paired with Pique in the heart of the defence. There is a bit of similarity in the role that he conventionally plays and how he's described here, but at Barca CDM and sometimes 3rd defender is Busquets not him. The similarity in the roles of CB to DM is due to Barca playing a very high line in defence(I didn't see one being played here to be fair). All in all I like Davids there and Mendieta is a well rounded player with a high work rate that has eye for the pass. However KM set up in midfield looks really solid with Senna, Albertini and Boban. Albertini and Boban is great combo with Senna as well who is DM here(although I think box to box would suit him better, he was pretty good going forward) Albertini can be the DLP ala Pirlo and Boban is excellent #10. All in all I like KM midfield better and is also better match and fit here.

As for attack I can see Aldo/Stain having a slight edge with their wide forwards better than KM set up, while Ibra is better than Makaay(although not a mismatch as I really rate the latter who had the misfortune to come against Kluivert and Ruud for a spot in the national team).

At the moment I tend to slightly to in Aldo/Stain's favor, but will see how the discussions will go.

Marty1968

Well, we have defined Mascherano's role in the write-up. He's a third central defender when we are in possession. He steps out of defence when defending to press the opposition threats. But hey, let's focus on him and not how at least 3 of the oppositions players are out of position.
Think I've focussed more on your opponents team than yours. Think KM has to come up with a few answers to my other questions first...

The Stain

Think I've focussed more on your opponents team than yours. Think KM has to come up with a few answers to my other questions first...
Yes, i prob should have quoted Viva. I'm just passionate about our team. :wenger:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Zlatan 1.95

Monetro - 1.79
Linke - 1.83
Mascherano - 1.74

It's huge.
Well, unless you propose that it's impossible for someone who doesn't match Zlatan's actual height to match him in the air, I don't see the problem. Montero was good in the air - had both the jump and the timing (naturally, one could say, otherwise he'd have been a considerably poorer CB than he was). And Linke was a specialist: It's probably what he's best remembered for - being a beast in the air.

The Stain

I normally go with this principle: You look at the player's skill set, how he normally plays, what he normally does, in what area of the pitch he normally operates – and then you decide whether he's in the right (or in a good) position or not. His nominal position, in whatever historical context is relevant to the draft – is of less importance.

Barca's set-up isn't an average one, nor is Mascherano playing as an average CB: In fact, you could say the system depends on him not having to do the latter.

Based on his Barca career (see the points above), is he out of position here, for Aldo/Stain's team? Clearly not.
Well put. Even if they have to question it, he still has a season at DM for Barca. Same as a few other players in the draft so if that's what it comes down to they should keep this in mind.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Voted for Aldo. He has the best team of the first round for me (with Gio close second, from the teams that already played their game). It would be interesting to see how (and if) he will upgrade his team - Makaay requires an upgrade but it would be hard to do as he fills in BL slot

The Stain

Voted for Aldo. He has the best team of the first round for me (with Gio close second, from the teams that already played their game). It would be interesting to see how (and if) he will upgrade his team - Makaay requires an upgrade but it would be hard to do as he fills in BL slot
We! :D

And let's not look ahead. Tough match this.

KM

All from KM's write-up:

All world class defenders. Emphasize on national team performances. Best attacking line-up in the draft. Zlatan will bully every central defender. Zlatan is great at heading. Piszczek will bomb forward at every opportunity. He will dominate the flanks. Albertini will control the tempo of the game. Boban in his favoured role. Zlatan will get "a shitload chances to score". And, "in the unlikely event we're falling behind, there's always Aubameyang on the bench".

Guess we're fecked, then.

The thing is though; most of that is inaccurate, false or just strange tactical instructions that our team will exploit. Hopefully some voters have read this and acknowledge that this provides a major advantage to our side.

Firstly, calling all the defenders world class is questionable at best. And national team performances mean squat in this draft.

Zlatan won't bully Montero/Linke. No fecking way. With Mascherano pressing him as well, he will have a whole world of hurt on his hands. Zlatan isn't good at headers when it comes to being a goal-threat. What he excells at is heading high balls in the direction of his team-mates. Another misjudgment.

We welcome Piszczek always going forward. Our left flank is pretty good to be honest here and the opposition would have been smart to take note of that so i forsee us having plenty of successful attacks in this area.

Smart to have Luis more restricted, though. Littbarski will still find ways to outsmart him.

He says he'll dominate the flanks. He doesn't really know what he's up against. Candela/Davids/Henry on one side and mainly Mendieta/Littbarski on the right will sure test his defence. Angloma to keep a close eye on his man.

He hasn't really lined up in a 4-3-3 at all. It's a 4-2-3-1. Senna should be playing at the base to get the maximum out of him. Not sure if Boban is playing in his best position either. Was he not more comfortable as CM or right-sided player?

Albertini won't controll the tempo of this game. Our central midfield will dominate this match. It's more balanced and our players are in the right positions to maximise their abilities, unlike the oppositions. He would have been better adviced to focus on counters in my opinion.

All these tactical flaws is why we have the upper hand in this game and should have a good chance of winning this.
Will reply in full later but two points firstly a bit rich for you to attack Senna position when you've got a center back in a defensive midfield position.

You've picked him at midfield just becuae of his performances at Liverpool and Argentina..just on the basis of Barcelona match, there's no way anyone would pick Mascherano as defensive midfielder.

Davids was awesome but Albertini and Boban would relish the extra space in.midfield due to the fact you are essentially playing a third defender in midfielder. Its kinda like how Mourinho played Pepe sometimes.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm too lazy to type all the two (or more) manager teams so I just type the name of the first one - doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your contribution

Re: not look ahead - yes, certainly, the game is very close so far, that's why I added an "if" in my message

VivaJanuzaj

I'm not saying that you can't battle Zlatan in the air if your not his height, but it's definitely easier if you got a tall defender. Not saying its a major problem, just trying to spark something up

The Stain

Will reply in full later but two points firstly a bit rich for you to attack Senna position when you've got a center back in a defensive midfield position.

You've picked him at midfield just becuae of his performances at Liverpool and Argentina..just on the basis of Barcelona match, there's no way anyone would pick Mascherano as defensive midfielder.

Davids was awesome but Albertini and Boban would relish the extra space in.midfield due to the fact you are essentially playing a third defender in midfielder. Its kinda like how Mourinho played Pepe sometimes.
He's playing as a CB in possession. It's been mentioned plenty. He simply drops in between Montero and Linke when building play. When we lose the ball he goes and presses the central threat, whoever it may be. Not totally unlike his role at Barca. It simply isn't a conventional CB role he plays at Barca.

And like i said in an earlier post. He still has a season at DM for Barcelona if you're still not convinced. In his "preferred" position if you so will.