La Liga/Serie A/BuLi Draft - 1st Rd KM vs Aldo/The Stain

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
I'm too lazy to type all the two (or more) manager teams so I just type the name of the first one - doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your contribution

Re: not look ahead - yes, certainly, the game is very close so far, that's why I added an "if" in my message
It's ok. And i missed the second bit.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's playing as a CB in possession. It's been mentioned plenty. He simply drops in between Montero and Linke when building play. When we lose the ball he goes and presses the central threat, whoever it may be. Not totally unlike his role at Barca. It simply isn't a conventional CB role he plays at Barca.

And like i said in an earlier post. He still has a season at DM for Barcelona if you're still not convinced. In his "preferred" position if you so will.
Must have not been that good to have been shifted back to CB.

KM

Extra shoutout to @Donaldo who I think has voted against me in every draft so far be it cricket or football. Fair play.

KM

I'm afraid I don't know much about your right winger but not many have gotten the best against Felipe Luis. He regularly plays against the likes of Ronaldo and Messi and I've genuinely not seen him back outplayed.

Your right winger might be good but I don't think its likely he'll get the best against Luis with Senna marshalling the defense.

MJJ

Well, we have defined Mascherano's role in the write-up. He's a third central defender when we are in possession. He steps out of defence when defending to press the opposition threats. But hey, let's focus on him and not how at least 3 of the oppositions players are out of position.
Which three?

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm afraid I don't know much about your right winger but not many have gotten the best against Felipe Luis. He regularly plays against the likes of Ronaldo and Messi and I've genuinely not seen him back outplayed.

Your right winger might be good but I don't think its likely he'll get the best against Luis with Senna marshalling the defense.
I think your midfield is better and you should concentrate there in the efforts. Aldo/Stain's defence however is IMO the game changer here as individually they are better. Now it depends on how they cope with your attack and Ibra in hand but as individuals they have drafted some excellent defenders.

Littbarski for me is the pick of the draft from the BuLi and probably the best wide option. There were many wing back and full backs options who were equally good or close to the best level, but not many wingers. Nedved and Littbarski are for me the best ones. Pierre is quite bit different to Ronaldo and Messi, not as good but certainly top quality.

KM

I think your midfield is better and you should concentrate there in the efforts. Aldo/Stain's defence however is IMO the game changer here as individually they are better. Now it depends on how they cope with your attack and Ibra in hand but as individuals they have drafted some excellent defenders.

Littbarski for me is the pick of the draft from the BuLi and probably the best wide option. There were many wing back and full backs options who were equally good or close to the best level, but not many wingers. Nedved and Littbarski are for me the best ones. Pierre is quite bit different to Ronaldo and Messi, not as good but certainly top quality.
I think my defense has a better balance. My central defender pairing is getting underrated IMO.

Enigma_87

You know who
I think my defense has a better balance. My central defender pairing is getting underrated IMO.
Yeah you might have a point there. If I'm to compare them individually and how they are stacked up I'd take Montero first, then Buchwald then Linke and Bonucci last. Not that far off each of those pairs so balance might compensate.

Someone brought a valid point in terms of height advantage on last page, I'm just not sure if Ibra is the right man to take advantage in the air as his heading is not his main asset.

The Stain

Which three?
Ok, that was an exaggeration but that has been the theme of this game so far it seems so i suppose i got carried away. Hands up.

I don't feel Boban was the type of player to play behind a striker, rather as a CM/CMR/RM. So i feel he isn't used to his full potential.

Griezmann has played as right-winger but you won't get the best out of him imo. I think we're seeing him at his best in the role he currently has at Atletico. I certainly haven't seen him perform this consistently in any other role.

KM

Sorry to emphasise this greatly, but this is why the AM was so important for me in this draft. I hardly know anything about his defenders, so I can't dissect the weaknesses and strengths of his players that well.

Another thing is that even if I concede that his defence is better, the undoubted part is that my attack and midfield is better than him. Reus/Griezmann over Henry of Barcelona for me. I think Zlatan over Makaay is a non brainer too.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ok, that was an exaggeration but that has been the theme of this game so far it seems so i suppose i got carried away. Hands up.

I don't feel Boban was the type of player to play behind a striker, rather as a CM/CMR/RM. So i feel he isn't used to his full potential.

Griezmann has played as right-winger but you won't get the best out of him imo. I think we're seeing him at his best in the role he currently has at Atletico. I certainly haven't seen him perform this consistently in any other role.
Having in mind that he plays in 4-4-2 and he used to play with strikers that have the same gameplan as Ibra I think he's ok in that wideish right role where he can have more of the ball and cut inside. He also drops wide quite often in Atleti games so I don't have issues with that role in that set up. He's a bit like Messi in a sense that can play anywhere up front and excel in key moments.

KM

Boban was a creative player who was gifted with excellent vision, passing range, and technical ability. He mixed these attributes with a unique tactical versatility, which enabled him to be deployed in several midfield and offensive positions throughout his career; in addition to his preferred role behind the forwards as a playmaking, attacking midfielder, he was also capable of playing on the wing, as a central midfielder, or even as a supporting striker.[18]
Taken from Wiki who in turn has taken this from the Milan website profiling Boban, so I think even if you feel that he wasn't used to his full potential in that positon, Boban clearly preferred that.

MJJ

He made his name as a right winger though, although I do agree with you that he has stepped it up a notch as a support striker with freedom to roam wide. I took his formation to be a 4-3-3 with two midfielders so Boban for me is fine.

Thats till only two :P

The Stain

Yeah you might have a point there. If I'm to compare them individually and how they are stacked up I'd take Montero first, then Buchwald then Linke and Bonucci last. Not that far off each of those pairs so balance might compensate.

Someone brought a valid point in terms of height advantage on last page, I'm just not sure if Ibra is the right man to take advantage in the air as his heading is not his main asset.
Both of our central defenders were tough players good in the air. Height doesn't mean a whole lot in this game. He's the only tall attacker they have. It's not like Zlatan will be uncontested for headers. It's his weakness hehe why is this even a subject.

KM

Griezmann at right position for At. Madrid this season.

9 matches 6 goals 1 assist.

Just to compare, Mascherano has played 4 times for Barcelona in midfield this season. So in essence, he's playing a 3-5-2 and then he's saying my team'll not dominate in midfield.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Reus/Griezmann over Henry of Barcelona for me.
I think that is very debatable. It's not prime Henry, but he was nevertheless a top level player who played an important role in a great team. We're not talking about a washed out shadow here.

Enigma_87

You know who
Both of our central defenders were tough players good in the air. Height doesn't mean a whole lot in this game. He's the only tall attacker they have. It's not like Zlatan will be uncontested for headers. It's his weakness hehe why is this even a subject.
I tend to agree with Montero and Linke - the latter that was his main strength and Montero did quite well against Bierhoff from memories(who is much superior in the air to Zlatan with the same height).

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I don't see any issues with Boban as an AM. He played a similar role for Milan when they won the Scudetto in 1999, playing behind Weah and Bierhoff. I thought Aldo and The Stain would walk this TBH after scanning the teams beforehand, but KM's team looks excellent now that I've looked at it more carefully.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Taken from Wiki who in turn has taken this from the Milan website profiling Boban, so I think even if you feel that he wasn't used to his full potential in that positon, Boban clearly preferred that.
He was versatile and could play all over the middle of the park, but fielding him as you do gets the best out of him as a more direct playmaker - so that isn't just fine, it's the logical choice given your overall set-up.

Enigma_87

You know who
He was versatile and could play all over the middle of the park, but fielding him as you do gets the best out of him as a more direct playmaker - so that isn't just fine, it's the logical choice given your overall set-up.
He was used left or right in the middle of the 90's because at the time Desailly/Albertini was the preferred midfield duo as it was more balanced in a 4-4-2 which Milan played. I agree with your thoughts #10 or attacking playmaking position was not just fine but his natural zone.

KM

I think that is very debatable. It's not prime Henry, but he was nevertheless a top level player who played an important role in a great team. We're not talking about a washed out shadow here.
Agreed.

But Reus is undoubtedly world class and has sometimes carried Dortmund too. In my absolute biased opinion Reus was better than a Barcelona version of Henry.

KM

That percentages in voting is fecked up.

Moby

Dick
You've picked him at midfield just becuae of his performances at Liverpool and Argentina..just on the basis of Barcelona match, there's no way anyone would pick Mascherano as defensive midfielder.
C'mon KM, do you honestly believe I picked him for his performances outside of this draft, after going through those lengths to explain how is role is quite similar to that he has at Barca? Honestly, after having read your write up and the sort of claims you have made, it's way more questionable than anything we have said so far. Specially given the fact that this draft provided us with a fresh pool and a new evaluation method, it would be a waste to just post lies or misinterpreted facts to win a game. And sorry, after the write up you submitted, it's rich of you to tell someone else that they are trying to use a player's face value to earn votes. I haven't glorified a WC winning legend half as much as you have your players.

Anyway, you could have said we just picked Mascherano as a DM based on his previous career if he was deployed as a DM in a bog standard setup or something, not here where we have tailored the setup to suit his qualities as well as his style of play at Barcelona to a tee. We have added two immensely hard working midfield powerhouses who can easily handle the midfield on their own, like I will show you below in a match @Gio played and used them as a double midfield. I have also added CBs who can drift wide, specially Montero who is at home in a LCB role and give Masch enough space to operate in his preferred zone of play. That also frees someone like Candela who was fantastic going forward and adds a new dimension to the attack.

Mascherano's role here isn't half as unfamiliar to him as Boban's for example, or Greizmann's, in your team.

Nor is there any mismatch on the pitch like Littbarski against Felipe Luis.

Moby

Dick
Must have not been that good to have been shifted back to CB.
Is that a serious reply?
'shifted to CB'. Can you elaborate on the shift and the change in demands of his role when he 'shifted' from DM to CB at Barca, with respect to that team?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
i dont really rate Mascherano outside "catenaccio" setup but his role is perfectly fine in this team/league criteria.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Not sure why two people said already that KM's midfield is better. Even if you don't buy Mascherano as a DM (I, personally, think that Aldo's position is justified), Davids and Mendieta is a hell of a midfield duo (I haven't posted it yet, right? I came back to the computer and there it was, the whole message drafted and not sent)

Enigma_87

You know who
Not sure why two people said already that KM's midfield is better. Even if you don't buy Mascherano as a DM (I, personally, think that Aldo's position is justified), Davids and Mendieta is a hell of a midfield duo (I haven't posted it yet, right? I came back to the computer and there it was, the whole message drafted and not sent)
Have on problems with Masch at that position(I expected that to be the main theme tho given the draft).

To me Albertini/Boban/Senna is the more complete and better midfield - you have one offensive player in Boban who can score goals, dribble, assist and also distribute the ball, and also help in the defensive line, then you have Albertini who does the same from deep, with the bonus of having played both in the same team and behind them Senna who is strong tackler but also contributes going forward more than Masch(who is a bit limited to only more defensive role and safe passer), technically superior and IMO combining pretty well with Albertini and Boban.

On the other hand you have Masch who is limited apart from defensive contribution. Davids who is again better defensively and stamina and work rate his best assets, and then Mendieta who has to be the main playmaker. If KM team can shut him down I can see Aldo/Stain struggling in the center to create chances.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
This is a tough one to score. I don't like Senna in KM's team, mainly because I've never rated him. But his front four are excellent.

KM

Is that a serious reply?
'shifted to CB'. Can you elaborate on the shift and the change in demands of his role when he 'shifted' from DM to CB at Barca, with respect to that team?
It's the draft thread. Little bit of exaggeration never hurts(your partner did say that I've three players playing out of position tbf)