La Liga/Serie A/BuLi Draft - 1st Rd KM vs Aldo/The Stain

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
It's the draft thread. Little bit of exaggeration never hurts(your partner did say that I've three players playing out of position tbf)
:lol: After all your exaggerated posts ye.

Tuppet

I have to say that asking about Mascherano position is totally justified. Just because he played in a Barcelona tiki taka team does not mean he can automatically play as a defensive midfielder. I don't think any other Barcelona center back would be used as a CDM even if they played in the same way. Also if he is being played as a sort of auxiliary defender with freedom to go forward, then IMO the team sheet should reflect that.

Having said that, I have no problem with Mascherano playing as a DM, I think its stupid to ascertain that a player has to be played in the same way he has been played and kinda ruin the fantasy aspect of draft. We know Masch can play as DM he has played like that in highest level and is very good at it, so no problems about that at all.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Also, I think Henry will make bits of Piszczek.
Again as I said, Henry wasn't that special at Barcelona. Scored 4 goals in 32 appearances in the last season. Piszczek was brilliant for Dortmund under Klopp.

KM

I have to say that asking about Mascherano position is totally justified. Just because he played in a Barcelona tiki taka team does not mean he can automatically play as a defensive midfielder. I don't think any other Barcelona center back would be used as a CDM even if they played in the same way. Also if he is being played as a sort of auxiliary defender with freedom to go forward, than IMO the team sheet should reflect that.

Having said that, I have no problem with Mascherano playing as a DM, I think its stupid to ascertain that a player has to be played in the same way he has been played and kinda ruin the fantasy aspect of draft. We know Masch can play as DM he has played like that in highest level and is very good at it, so no problems about that at all.
But that's absolutely against the very basic premise of this draft.

The Stain

Again as I said, Henry wasn't that special at Barcelona. Scored 4 goals in 32 appearances in the last season. Piszczek was brilliant for Dortmund under Klopp.
:lol: Your arguments are worse than your write-up. Thought that would be impossible.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Yeah, but he scored 26 in 42 appearances in his second season, with 10 assists.

KM

Yeah, but he scored 26 in 42 appearances in his second season, with 10 assists.
Look i'm not doubting his class or something but torn to shreds is a bit OTT.

Also loving how Luis is a big mismatch against Littbarski, I mean this is a guy who regularly comes up against world's two best side with world's best two players in the last two-three decades and has always performed well. Yet he's a mismatch against Littbarski.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Having said that, I have no problem with Mascherano playing as a DM, I think its stupid to ascertain that a player has to be played in the same way he has been played and kinda ruin the fantasy aspect of draft.
this. Its not that Mascherano really changed his playing style while in Barcelona and playing a cb for barcelona is nothing like playing a cb for any other team in the world(bar bayern). He is the same player that played the same role for other clubs and his national team.
Against the spirit of the draft is when you want to use the player that totally changed his playing style, the perfect example would be Gareth Bale and if @crappycraperson would want to use classic winger instead of this poor Ronaldo version :D

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff

Also loving how Luis is a big mismatch against Littbarski, I mean this is a guy who regularly comes up against world's two best side with world's best two players in the last two-three decades and has always performed well. Yet he's a mismatch against Littbarski.
No problems with Luis in that side, I don't think Littbarski is going to be up to much, but I still think Henry has the edge over Piszczek.

KM

No problems with Luis in that side, I don't think Littbarski is going to be up to much, but I still think Henry has the edge over Piszczek.
Fair enough if that's your opinion mate.

The Stain

Only way for him to stop top players:
Hope Litti does this to him:
I don't think Littbarski is going to be up to much
Wow. Ok, need to big up one of the best wingers in the draft a bit more me thinks. Certainly the best winger on the pitch. Incoming.

Moby

Dick
Davids who is again better defensively and stamina and work rate his best assets
Not at all, he's a true two way midfielder, and we necessarily picked a proper DM to provide him the freedom he doesn't have as a DM. His technique, will combine beautifully with Candela and Henry as written in the write up and we will dominate that side of the pitch. His athleticism, pace and bursting runs will be a deadly weapon and his physicality cannot be matched by the opposition. And he has two time UEFA midfielder of the year Mendieta who was a massive presence in the middle of the park at the highest stages, again marrying hard work with world class technical and offensive power. Both him and Davids will be fully contributing in offense and it's the completeness and all round skill sets that give us a big advantage in this battle, not to mention the unit is better man-to-man. No one from that midfield three is getting anywhere near ours, sorry.

Moby

Dick
Scored 4 goals in 32 appearances in the last season.
Why are you highlighting just one season and not the one where he finished in twenty plus double digits and a treble win?
He's not even the main goal scorer here, his role is well defined with others taking the centre stage, precisely what it was at Barca and what Barca wouldn't swap for most other players at the time.

KM

Ibra in his final season in Italy, almost single handedly taking an average Milan side to Title.

KM

Why are you highlighting just one season and not the one where he finished in twenty plus double digits and a treble win?
He's not even the main goal scorer here, his role is well defined with others taking the centre stage, precisely what it was at Barca and what Barca wouldn't swap for most other players at the time.
But that's what Barcelona did the next season, when they swapped him for Pedro!

Moby

Dick

No slight on Luis, he's a solid defender but he's against a truly world class opponent who did it time and again on the biggest of stages.

KM

No slight on Luis, he's a solid defender but he's against a truly world class opponent who did it time and again on the biggest of stages.
You'd count Messi and Ronaldo as better than him right? Then why do you think he'll be ripped apart by your RW when he's done better against two superior players.

Moby

Dick
But that's what Barcelona did the next season, when they swapped him for Pedro!
Well, he got older than he was in the treble winning season so it was natural that he would end his career soon.
He did reach Barca with plenty of class left in him and it showed when that trio scored 100+ goals in a season and was the most feared one in Europe. That's more than enough quality that I need with the service from midfield and specially Davids and Candela joining the party and combining really well with Henry. Their styles of play really complement each other beautifully and it will definitely be a big task for the Polish defender to contain all that.

Unlike me, your central midfielders aren't as comfortable out wide as Davids on the left and Mendieta on the right, which means I can attack from more areas on the pitch and comfortably switch the play through the middle or out wide.

Boycott

Pizczek shut down top players in their peak at his best (2011-12). He has rapid speed to cope and I don't think Barca Henry will tear him apart. Barca Henry maintained great movement and finishing touch but his dribbling and acceleration were gone. Those two made him the best forward in the world at Arsenal at one point but he became more functional at Barca.

KM

Pizczek shut down top players in their peak at his best (2011-12). He has rapid speed to cope and I don't think Barca Henry will tear him apart. Barca Henry maintained great movement and finishing touch but his dribbling and acceleration were gone. Those two made him the best forward in the world at Arsenal at one point but he became more functional at Barca.
Exactly. @Sphaero can you please tell how good Piszczek was in his prime?

Enigma_87

You know who
Not at all, he's a true two way midfielder, and we necessarily picked a proper DM to provide him the freedom he doesn't have as a DM. His technique, will combine beautifully with Candela and Henry as written in the write up and we will dominate that side of the pitch. His athleticism, pace and bursting runs will be a deadly weapon and his physicality cannot be matched by the opposition. And he has two time UEFA midfielder of the year Mendieta who was a massive presence in the middle of the park at the highest stages, again marrying hard work with world class technical and offensive power. Both him and Davids will be fully contributing in offense and it's the completeness and all round skill sets that give us a big advantage in this battle, not to mention the unit is better man-to-man. No one from that midfield three is getting anywhere near ours, sorry.
Not arguing his class, but best offensive midfielder on the pitch IMO is Boban. Best passers out of the 6 midfielders are Albertini, Boban and Mendieta(for me in that order). Personally I like KM midfield better, as to me they compliment each other pretty well and everybody brings his unique values to the team - even if you close Boban, Albertini can dictate the tempo or vice verca. Not saying that Davids is a bad passer or something but to me he was never a type to distribute the ball or dictate the tempo - he did it at his own pace - always hustling and pushing all over the pitch with endless stamina and of course excellent technique.

Moby

Dick
You'd count Messi and Ronaldo as better than him right? Then why do you think he'll be ripped apart by your RW when he's done better against two superior players.
When has Ronaldo played as a right winger?

There have been clips posted above on him vs Messi. Are you trying to say he man marked Messi out of the game or something?
Also, A. Madrid defend as a unit, and a lot of players in such setups look better than they would in a 1v1. Unless you are suggesting Luis would not get beaten by Messi in a constant 1v1, which I hope you aren't, what you are talking about is how their teams defended as a unit which is widely known in this case. Similar for Inter defenders of 2010, etc. Not saying Luis is a weak defender at all, but let's not pretend he's anything more than a solid defender who's well suited to the sort of tactics A. Madrid deployed. It's not going to be the same here, you cannot expect similar cohesiveness and in a more individual battle, Littbarski will come out as a winner more often than not.

Also, Littbarski has someone like Mendieta who like I mentioned is in his element here, playing in a role that would bring out the absolute best of him. He will be combining with Littbarski and overloading that side. Surely, against two players of that class Luis will need help. It will create openings for us, specially as we have someone insanely good aerially in the box in Makaay.

Having two great players like Davids and Mendieta in their absolute best positions and roles will change the game for us.

Moby

Dick
Not arguing his class, but best offensive midfielder on the pitch IMO is Boban.
We'll have to disagree there, and as someone who has always enjoyed watching Boban (ask @KM himself, in the newbie Serie A draft I picked Boban from his team after defeating him :) ), Mendieta was not only a better player technically, he was also mentally absolutely tenacious and a warrior on the pitch. Moreover, Mendieta is playing in a role that suits ALL his abilities perfectly, and he will bring all he can to the front, whereas Boban's role isn't clear to me at all. Is he playing as a number 10? Does he have the mobility to keep up with someone like Davids, off the ball? Etc?

No such concerns with any of my midfielders.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Boban > Mendieta for me but both are great players.

Quite enjoying this draft!

Annahnomoss

KM has a great team himself but I think he's unlucky to face Aldo/The Stain this early on as they look like they've nailed this first round in the draft. Makaay was one of my personal favorites and a solid striker for this draft, Henry speaks for himself and Littbarski was even better than either. Happy to see Angloma featuring as well, an absolute beast and one of the better available for the position.

Tactically it is spot on too with Mendieta/Davids both liking those RCM/LCM roles so it is hard to find a way for KM to compensate that way even if he also has a spot on team tactically.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Aldo/stain could put Masch as CB with arrow going up to middle. Thus allaowing their fullback as wingback, with Henry and Litbarski likes to get inside. Davids and Mandieta are strong enough against any midfield combo.

Meanwhile, KM has attractive trio CM. i think the best setup would be

Albertini ---- Boban
---------Senna
Strong and creative. Thus allows Ibra to act as false 9, ala Messi/Totti for Reus and Griesman

Moby

Dick
Exactly. @Sphaero can you please tell how good Piszczek was in his prime?
C'mon, I'm not trying to say he's a walking duck or anything, and it's again a really good contest, I personally don't think it's a mismatch like on the other side, but you have to remember the number of goals and assists Henry contributed in that season, nevermind the link up play and stretching the defense which will create space for us if nothing else. He's not asked to beat the defender in 1v1, but more using his movement to provide passing and attacking options while his incisive runs into the box are going to be a dangerous weapon and a slight lack of concentration can lead to him being free in a 1v1 with the keeper and Makaay's positioning in the box in insane which will always be an option to pick out.

The Stain

Boban > Mendieta for me but both are great players.

Quite enjoying this draft!
Never had a match with this amount of bitch-fighting :lol:

Think it's been like this in some of the other games as well. Much fun.

Moby

Dick
KM has a great team himself but I think he's unlucky to face Aldo/The Stain this early on as they look like they've nailed this first round in the draft. Makaay was one of my personal favorites and a solid striker for this draft, Henry speaks for himself and Littbarski was even better than either. Happy to see Angloma featuring as well, an absolute beast and one of the better available for the position.

Tactically it is spot on too with Mendieta/Davids both liking those RCM/LCM roles so it is hard to find a way for KM to compensate that way even if he also has a spot on team tactically.
The man from Sweden has spoken! :D

I asked @KM whether he was looking at our picks to counter them, because as soon as he picked Ibra we picked players in mind to counter his strengths and we created the Montero-Linke-Mascherano axis that I believe covers a lot of his threat.

Enigma_87

You know who
We'll have to disagree there, and as someone who has always enjoyed watching Boban (ask @KM himself, in the newbie Serie A draft I picked Boban from his team after defeating him :) ), Mendieta was not only a better player technically, he was also mentally absolutely tenacious and a warrior on the pitch. Moreover, Mendieta is playing in a role that suits ALL his abilities perfectly, and he will bring all he can to the front, whereas Boban's role isn't clear to me at all. Is he playing as a number 10? Does he have the mobility to keep up with someone like Davids, off the ball? Etc?

No such concerns with any of my midfielders.
Yeah I think we do on this one. Rate both obviously and would have Mendieta myself if we didn't go for Modric but I really like Boban more. Nothing to take away from Mendieta here, both class players, just enjoyed the former one more. Boban is the AM in that formation(not pure classic #10 ala Zico) I think, however it's up to KM to answer that question, not me :)

Moby

Dick
would have Mendieta myself if we didn't go for Modric
Interestingly, Modric was our backup to Mendieta.
The latter just suited the RCM role in that formation, specially the dovetailing with Litti beautifully. Would have been great to have either of those two for that role.

Enigma_87

You know who
Interestingly, Modric was our backup to Mendieta.
The latter just suited the RCM role in that formation, specially the dovetailing with Litti beautifully. Would have been great to have either of those two for that role.
Mendieta would give you a bit of tactical flexibility as you can use him RM as well. But again I'd get Modric first due to how good he became with Madrid and generally being more explosive player, but again down to preference. On the other hand you can use Mendieta as RM and switch Littbarski on the left to play 4-4-2 so yeah he's excellent choice.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Also, I think Henry will make bits of Piszczek.
Like Christiano Ronaldo did in the first leg of the CL semi final 2012/2013? This game is all you need to watch if someone doubts Piszu´s ability to hold his own vs top class competition. He caught him in so many times that a deeply frustrated Ronaldo spend more time on the other flank to avoid him. What made Piszu at his peak (2011-2013) so good devensively was his serious engine and great acceleration on the first ten to fifteen meters. Infact, this recovery pace was the main reason why a normally offensively minded player like Piszczek could work defensively as RB while being the offensively strongest RB on the planet next to Alves back then. He never had the natural positioning of a defender, but made that up so many times by catching them a second later.

Sadly he lost some of this acceleration with his hip injury which required operation and while still being a good RB right now he never reached that level again. He depended too much on it.

The Stain

According to transfermarkt; Griezmann has only played 18 games in total as a right-winger in La Liga. Mascherano comfortably has double that amount at DM :lol:

You had it right the other way around, @KM

MJJ

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Never had a match with this amount of bitch-fighting :lol:

Think it's been like this in some of the other games as well. Much fun.

That's as boring and as pathetic as it usually is to be honest but some good sides have been built.