La Liga/Serie A/BuLi Draft - QF Enigma_87/Snow vs Aldo/The Stain

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enigma_87

You know who
Well that makes me feel marginally less guilty if I don't change my vote :lol:. Its not a huge issue but Conte was very good box to box and played as a wide midfielder too so it seems more logical to have Gustavo holding and Conte on the left.
Luis Gustavo operated in that zone where he is at the moment and I'm looking more to fitting him into that zone negating the left side(Aldo's right side). Conte as depicted is a bit free in this case and he can operate more centrally where I think he's better so naturally he'll run into space and without designated AM I think that suits him best.

Annahnomoss

Bit surprised that you'd replace Henry. As marginal of a reinforcement as they come and it makes this match look completely even. Ability wise Kaka/Shevchenko/Villa are all better than both Reus and Makaay while I think Aldo/The Stains midfield is still slightly better. I am a big fan of Marcelo in a setup like this, he at times provides more of a winger threat for Real than Ronaldo does in terms of dribbling and getting past his man. Both defenses looks great and it seems pretty even in that regard. I think a draw would be the most likely outcome so I won't vote here.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Bit surprised that you'd replace Henry. As marginal of a reinforcement as they come and it makes this match look completely even.
I went with Aldo/TheStain for their better balance and excellent central defensive pair, but I agree with this completely - Reus looks like a very marginal upgrade to me which is a bit of a shame.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Bit surprised that you'd replace Henry. As marginal of a reinforcement as they come and it makes this match look completely even. Ability wise Kaka/Shevchenko/Villa are all better than both Reus and Makaay while I think Aldo/The Stains midfield is still slightly better. I am a big fan of Marcelo in a setup like this, he at times provides more of a winger threat for Real than Ronaldo does in terms of dribbling and getting past his man. Both defenses looks great and it seems pretty even in that regard. I think a draw would be the most likely outcome so I won't vote here.
It's a tricky balancing act, forward-planning vs going for the obvious pick. We felt we needed a final worthy BuLi player so went for that rather than someone that might have made this match easier for us. We'll see if it pays off or not.

In terms of Reus vs Henry, Reus has a world-class season or two in the BuLi according to kicker (anyone know where that can be found?) and i'm not sure Henry reached that standard at Barca. It's obviously very close between them but we felt it was the right thing to do at the time.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
As I said in the first Aldo's match thread - brilliant team (and probably the strongest one in the first round) but it will be hard to upgrade it. You could've picked some real vote winner in place of Makaay but you filled your BL quota with striker position

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's a tricky balancing act, forward-planning vs going for the obvious pick. We felt we needed a final worthy BuLi player so went for that rather than someone that might have made this match easier for us. We'll see if it pays off or not.
Aye, it is tricky. It's interesting what the ideal select given the restrictions would look like. Normally EAP puts one forward with half a dozen of his own players in it.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Aye, it is tricky. It's interesting what the ideal select given the restrictions would look like. Normally EAP puts one forward with half a dozen of his own players in it.
:lol: I'm ill and bored so I made a list of all Bundesliga picks and tried judging which could be final-worthy. I've only whittled it down from 57 to 25 so far but Edgar comes off fairly well in terms of Bundesliga picks - Lizarazu is certainly final-worthy, and Boeteng and Sagnol wouldn't be in my very top tier for their positions but wouldn't be horribly out of place either.

Balu/Joga came out of the first round well with Hassler and Dunga, and I'm happy with our Klinsmann and Moller picks (less so Ziege and Basler). Your Bundesliga picks are probably the most interesting of the bunch. Yeboah can be eliminated as final worthy, but I don't think Reuter, Bratseth and Thon could as easily be ruled out, although its hard to see them being an asset at that stage due to name-recognition as much as anything.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As for upgrades I haven't really considered that. But Reus clearly isn't any grand upgrade on Henry, if he's an upgrade at all, that much is clear.

It's only a possible criticism of their overall draft strategy, however, as I see it. It has no impact on the match beyond the players selected. So, if Reus is enough to win them this one, that's that. That he isn't upgrade of the month is potentially unfortunate in the long run, but has no bearing on the current match.

VivaJanuzaj

:lol: I'm ill and bored so I made a list of all Bundesliga picks and tried judging which could be final-worthy. I've only whittled it down from 57 to 25 so far but Edgar comes off fairly well in terms of Bundesliga picks - Lizarazu is certainly final-worthy, and Boeteng and Sagnol wouldn't be in my very top tier for their positions but wouldn't be horribly out of place either.
Sagnol must be final worthy in the draft context. I'd rate Cafu & Zanetti above him but afterwards him and Reuter are pretty much the best ones imo, with Alves following. With him the only BuLi top class RB in it I'd say he's definitely a final worthy pick. Boateng is kind of the same although just a bit less than Sagnol.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Balu/Joga came out of the first round well with Hassler and Dunga, and I'm happy with our Klinsmann and Moller picks (less so Ziege and Basler). Your Bundesliga picks are probably the most interesting of the bunch. Yeboah can be eliminated as final worthy, but I don't think Reuter, Bratseth and Thon could as easily be ruled out, although its hard to see them being an asset at that stage due to name-recognition as much as anything.
I'd agree mostly with that. You'd be happy with any of those named in a final. In a select you'd have to factor in who'd miss out by fielding a Bundesliga player in that position. So for me Bratseth could be in a select XI, as there aren't any upgrades on him in his position within the pool, but Reuter wouldn't be as convincing in a perfect team because Cafu, Thuram and Zanetti are a wee notch above. Difference between a perfect XI and a final-worthy team obviously.

But sorry I digress... on with the mud-slinging.

Pat_Mustard

Sagnol must be final worthy in the draft context. I'd rate Cafu & Zanetti above him but afterwards him and Reuter are pretty much the best ones imo, with Alves following. With him the only BuLi top class RB in it I'd say he's definitely a final worthy pick. Boateng is kind of the same although just a bit less than Sagnol.
Aye, maybe I came across a bit harsh on Sagnol there, but I was a little hesitant in calling him outright final worthy for the reason Gio states below. Chances are your opponent would sport either Cafu or Zanetti, then Dani Ales would be a better fit as an ultra-attacking option, and the likes of Angloma would run him close too. I'll leave out our man Mannini for now :). Basically, Sagnol wouldn't be a standout, although its hard to imagine him being an outright weakness in anything other than an all-time draft context.

I'd agree mostly with that. You'd be happy with any of those named in a final. In a select you'd have to factor in who'd miss out by fielding a Bundesliga player in that position. So for me Bratseth could be in a select XI, as there aren't any upgrades on him in his position within the pool, but Reuter wouldn't be as convincing in a perfect team because Cafu, Thuram and Zanetti are a wee notch above. Difference between a perfect XI and a final-worthy team obviously.

But sorry I digress... on with the mud-slinging.
Aye, I'm with you on Bratseth unless anyone can make a convincing case to the contrary in your future matches. There's a bunch of very, very good centre backs but the large majority of the true standouts were blocked, so its a very good position to use a Bundesliga pick for. Also, alot of the other standout centre backs seem like potentially good foils for him.

But as you say, we should probably let the managers resume slugging it out.

MJJ

Alvesis better. He is close to cafu for me.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Attacking wise, they are on par. But on overall as fullback, Cafu is few levels above, imho. Have to say that Alves is final worthy in the right setup.

MJJ

Attacking wise, they are on par. But on overall as fullback, Cafu is few levels above, imho. Have to say that Alves is final worthy in the right setup.
His defensive game is really under-rated imo. Dont remember any winger actually getting the better of him on a regular basis at his peak. its just that his role meant that he was focused more offensively than defensively.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
His defensive game is really under-rated imo. Dont remember any winger actually getting the better of him on a regular basis at his peak. its just that his role meant that he was focused more offensively than defensively.
Looks like you misunderstood my gif, wasn't intended to be sarcastic :(. Me and Balu have Alves, so it was just a tongue in cheek thumbs up gif.

The Stain

Some quotes from yesterday:
I think each team will have a fair share of possession. Most probably somewhere in 50-50 level. Our team is full of runners and grafters, who are also pretty versatile.
And yet you changed your tune to say you were a counter-attacking outfit to suit the argumentation earlier in our argumentation from earlier today?
I don't think both CB pairs are that far off. Lucio and Helmer IMO is a great pair, as is Ferrara/Montero.
I dunno.
I like Mendieta, but again I can see Schneider being more effective in our set up, given his abilities.
Why sub him, then?
Helmer impeccable form in the EURO's in 96 shouldn't be disregarded as well.
Has no bearing.
Lucio is playing in a different set up and doesn't need to push up or run with the ball. We have players to do so infront of him, he's instructed for a more cautious approach rather than puching forward, which specifically has not being mentioned in the OP
Same as when you said Cafu and Marcelo will be defending deep, you can instruct players with a task but to restrict their natural games is probably difficult. Lucio as i remember loved a burst forward any chance he got.
Schneider provides with a higher work rate off and on the ball, while at the same time covers more ground. He's faster than Mendieta, better dribbler than Mendieta, and also IMO a tad more sound defensively. Not saying he's the better player overall but in this set up, apart from his versatility he offers more team work of what he's asked here and the possibility to cover more ground while in the same time offer combination for Cafu on the right.

It's better for our set up IMO as we need a tad more dynamic player. I'm not comparing them individually.
... why'd you take him off?

You can't have a team that dominates possession and plays on the counter. If you are playing counter attacking style, you have to concede possession first soak pressure and win the ball back, so which one is it? If you are playing counter attacking you are defending deeper, if not you are pushing up. I'm not sure your exact gameplan in accordance to comments.
Gegen-pressing anyone? And why can't you have a mix of styles throughout a game? Surely that is something all top managers have in their tool-boxes.

Don't know what else to say, really. I think we've covered why we should win, how our tactics are superior to the opposition and how our players are set up in a way to counter the oppositions biggest threats.

Pat_Mustard

Don't know what else to say, really. I think we've covered why we should win, how our tactics are superior to the opposition and how our players are set up in a way to counter the oppositions biggest threats.
T'is a shite feeling indeed when you feel you've had the better of the debate and the game is still slipping away from you.

VivaJanuzaj

Meh, arguable really. Better attacking but I don't think he's better at defending or even on par with Sagnol. I think it really depends on the setup, for our setup Alves would be really poor for example.

The Stain

T'is a shite feeling indeed when you feel you've had the better of the debate and the game is still slipping away from you.
:lol: True, i really think we've argued better.

Still time to turn this around! Voters see the shiny attackers but are neglecting the tactics, man!

Enigma_87

You know who
Some quotes from yesterday:

And yet you changed your tune to say you were a counter-attacking outfit to suit the argumentation earlier in our argumentation from earlier today?

I dunno.

Why sub him, then?

Has no bearing.

Same as when you said Cafu and Marcelo will be defending deep, you can instruct players with a task but to restrict their natural games is probably difficult. Lucio as i remember loved a burst forward any chance he got.
... why'd you take him off?

Gegen-pressing anyone? And why can't you have a mix of styles throughout a game? Surely that is something all top managers have in their tool-boxes.

Going to put it as one quote not to break up into it:

As far for counter attacking and possession, I already made my argumentation. In your previous match while I browsed through the thread you were more set up for a counter attacking football, so I expected something like that to happen in this game as well. That's why I asked you guys several times what is your game plan. Then after some time and when discussions went further it became clear it is somewhere in the middle and you guys will probably push up on Modric and so forth.

The only reason why to have Schneider in at the beginning was due to the provisional width that he gives and that you have set up in the previous game, with some comments there that you expect Mendieta/Davids to drift wide. After again the discussion went further it was more focused in the center so naturally I did that tactical change. It's same in the game really when you see how it is goes you adjust and make the necessary tactical/formation changes.

In the new one Luis Gustavo brings the right balance given the set up and the opposition also makes sense to have him on the left where your more dangerous flank is, while in the same time frees a bit Conte of that responsibility and gives him more central role.

I was contemplating of the change earlier but was pegged back with comments on work rate and defensive duties of each player. Even last night I tried to steer the debate into the creative role of your central pair and how we that will clash in more congested defence. So it's really natural change which came in the right moment imo, even we had a 1 vote advantage at the time.

I'm not sure @Tuppet received my alert so he can update it in the OP as well. Thanks mate.

Enigma_87

You know who
We could easily went for Ballack in the reinforcement round making it an even battle in midfield, but without Sheva and a proven partnership we would lack that edge in attack. I think that move should really make the difference in a game like this, we have more players to give us that edge and to decide the match.

I'd say all has been pretty much discussed with the new formation and what Luis Gustavo will bring to the table in this case - steel to our midfield, we'd lose a bit creativity coming from Schneider, but we gain the balance needed after all has been said and done.

Enigma_87

You know who
Also don't know how other guys feel about this, but is Reus really upgrade on Henry? Yes he wasn't the same Henry, but his second season I thought he was excellent and fit well in that role and as well in the first match. IMO he was still the better goalscorer of the two and although losing a bit of a step was more of a game changer. Sure off his peak but I'm not sure if it was an upgrade really.

I can understand the move tho, as the BuLi quota has to be filled and with Linke against our attack it would be a pretty lopsided score.

I see some mentioned him being a slight upgrade, but not sure if that is the case. (or I'm a bit biased towards Henry, that might be it as well)

Enigma_87

You know who
So your team lacked balance earlier then? Couldn't have imagined that.
that was taken a bit out of the context :) Given the way the game progressed it made more sense which is why I did it.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah, soon in the reinforcements it's also going to make sense partnering Lucio with a less gung ho FB. Watch it.
I think it's a bit early and like to concentrate in the game in hand, but if you mean Marcelo, there's really only one other full back that I'd replace him with and Joga/Balu have it.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm surprised you considered one of your picks as second best in his position. Can't you instruct him to be the best?
I know their limits mate :)

Take Marcelo, he'll have the best game of his life, otherwise I'll shave his head off.

Tuppet

Going to put it as one quote not to break up into it:

As far for counter attacking and possession, I already made my argumentation. In your previous match while I browsed through the thread you were more set up for a counter attacking football, so I expected something like that to happen in this game as well. That's why I asked you guys several times what is your game plan. Then after some time and when discussions went further it became clear it is somewhere in the middle and you guys will probably push up on Modric and so forth.

The only reason why to have Schneider in at the beginning was due to the provisional width that he gives and that you have set up in the previous game, with some comments there that you expect Mendieta/Davids to drift wide. After again the discussion went further it was more focused in the center so naturally I did that tactical change. It's same in the game really when you see how it is goes you adjust and make the necessary tactical/formation changes.

In the new one Luis Gustavo brings the right balance given the set up and the opposition also makes sense to have him on the left where your more dangerous flank is, while in the same time frees a bit Conte of that responsibility and gives him more central role.

I was contemplating of the change earlier but was pegged back with comments on work rate and defensive duties of each player. Even last night I tried to steer the debate into the creative role of your central pair and how we that will clash in more congested defence. So it's really natural change which came in the right moment imo, even we had a 1 vote advantage at the time.

I'm not sure @Tuppet received my alert so he can update it in the OP as well. Thanks mate.
Just got the alert, OP updated.