La Liga/Serie A/BuLi Draft - QF Gio vs VivaJanuzaj/MJJ

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Okay, the great ibra is going to make players who arent typically goal scorers score goal by his magic ego. Got it.
In his last season at Milan where he scored the most goals in Italy he only had Robinho around him. The brazilian was garbage in that season. Zlatan was the main source of goals. Milan had Nocerino playing in a boxbox-role similar to Ballack here. He got 10 goals. Four more than Robinho.

You don't need a wing-forward if you have the best striker in the draft up front.

Enigma_87

You know who
That pace argument seems rather absurd compared to Serie A or La Liga to be honest. It gets constantly blown out of proportion regarding the PL, but in a comparison with Serie A and La Liga surely the Bundesliga is the rather open, direct and pacey league if anyone wants to make that point?
To me the BuLi has a bit of slower pace in general compared to La Liga, for Seria A you certainly have a point of course but that's really contrast in styles compared to the two other leagues. Of course have no idea how it was in the 80's. Judging by the amount of goals scored/conceded on average it might that be the case.

MJJ

In his last season at Milan where he scored the most goals in Italy he only had Robinho around him. The brazilian was garbage in that season. Zlatan was the main source of goals. Milan had Nocerino playing in a boxbox-role similar to Ballack here. He got 10 goals. Four more than Robinho.

You don't need a wing-forward if you have the best striker in the draft up front.
What does that have to do with his play making ability?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I wouldnt say gio's side is a fantasy side. It seems like a fairly balanced one that would probably get destroyed by that barca side as well.
Principle remains the same, though. You field a shoddy core, and you get fecked over when you meet a great team. Gio's midfield is balanced and contains top players. Yours is imbalanced and contains two top players and one Khedira. That's how I see it - sorry.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Its scholes and carrick vs pep,khedira and sneijder. And where did I say it was comparable? I was arguing against the point that you require midfielders with high work rate to play a defensive,counter game.
Well, it was probably when you compared them and used them as an example that your midfield would work in a defensive set-up?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
To me the BuLi has a bit of slower pace in general compared to La Liga, for Seria A you certainly have a point of course. Of course have no idea how it was in the 80's. Judging by the amount of goals scored/conceded on average it might that be the case.
I don't think that's true outside of Bayern games and Bayern games under Guardiola's style aren't really a good representation for the league. It's at the moment quite clearly dominated by fast and direct transition tactics influenced by Klopp's Dortmund side more than anything else. La Liga is a lot more technical and well thought out in the build-up than the Bundesliga. Guardiola actually made that comparison a few times when he complained how much a counterattacking league it is.

It's a bit of a moot point anyway, because the whole obsession with a higher pace in the league means feck all when different styles clash as we see in the UEFA competitions and in international football all the time. You can only play as high a pace as your opponent allows you to. You can't turn a game into an open let's call it 'Premier League style' match if the opponent doesn't let you do that. And considering that Gio's midfield is a Serie A/Bundesliga mix and likely to control the pace of the game, it's certainly not a problem.

Last edited:

The Stain

What does that have to do with his play making ability?
What are you on about now?
Okay, the great ibra is going to make players who arent typically goal scorers score goal by his magic ego. Got it.
Wasn't your argument about how Zlatan needs another wing-forward to contribute to scoring goals? ^

MJJ

What are you on about now?

Wasn't your argument about how Zlatan needs another wing-forward to contribute to scoring goals? ^
No my argument was that he isnt using ibra's playmaking ability to the best of its ability. Not that he wont score goals you nutter!

Gio has built an excellent side there so this is definitely going to be a close match. However, I feel that his side is too reliant on Ibra for goal-scoring. Both Nedved and Michel were more creators than scorers, infact ballack has a better goal scoring record than either of his wingers. This has a double effect
  • Making it slightly easier for our side. If we keep Ibra quiet(easier said then done) that will have a significant impact on his side's ability to win the match.
  • It doesnt make the best use of ibra's playmaking abilities. With no wing-forward in the side, ibra wont be able to drop deep and thread through balls as often as he normally does.
This again, closes an avenue of attack for gio's side. The question is then can we contain ibra, I believe that in samuel and silva we are well placed to meet his aerial and ground threat. With no number ten in the side, and two line hugging wingers, they will be able to focus better on Ibra which will prevent goal scoring opportunities.

Conversely on the other side, we have muller and eto'o who are amongst the most clinical players in football's history. In a game where chances wont be created that often I believe we will be better placed to capitalized on the mistakes of the opposition. I also think our defense is better than his but that could be due to a lack of familiarity with his players.

One more comment on midfield. While Gio's midfield is wonderful and perfectly drafted for a 4-3-3, I believe we have two of the three best passers on our side (sneijder and pep). This would result in one of ballack/veron playing slightly defensive to make sure either of the duo doesnt get enough time on the ball. This will further decrease his goal threat and increase his reliance on ibra.

MJJ

Principle remains the same, though. You field a shoddy core, and you get fecked over when you meet a great team. Gio's midfield is balanced and contains top players. Yours is imbalanced and contains two top players and one Khedira. That's how I see it - sorry.
Pep's barca which dominated la liga didnt really have two workhorses doing the donkey work either. Khedira's work rate is fine, his quality is another matter. And both pep and sneijder were excellent positionally.

Most of the time it was pep, with an AM and a midfielder with a good work rate. We are playing a similar system here but apparently we will get destroyed when that team didnt (other than a couple of exceptions).

The Stain

No my argument was that he isnt using ibra's playmaking ability to the best of its ability. Not that he wont score goals you nutter!
Rightio! Well, i think the post explains how that would work as well. I'm sure Nedved/Ballack/Michel had a couple seasons each with 10+ goals so i don't see it as a problem.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't think that's true outside of Bayern games and Bayern games under Guardiola's style aren't really a good representation for the league. It's at the moment quite clearly dominated by fast and direct transition tactics influenced by Klopp's Dortmund side more than anything else. La Liga is a lot more technical and well thought out in the build-up than the Bundesliga. Guardiola actually made that comparison a few times when he complained how much a counterattacking league it is.

It's a bit of a moot point anyway, because the whole obsession with a higher pace in the league means feck all when different styles clash as we see in the UEFA competitions and in international football all the time. You can only play as high a pace as your opponent allows you to. You can't turn a game into an open let's call it 'Premier League style' match if the opponent doesn't let you do that. And considering that Gio's midfield is a Serie A/Bundesliga mix and likely to control the pace of the game, it's certainly not a problem.
I was generally referring to Bratseth dealing with Eto'o type of strikers - fast and technical on daily basis during that time, not the midfield in hand. For example if Werder in those years had more of a counter attacking approach with Bratseth being a no nonsense defender that is tall and strong, which would make more sense given they will soak pressure it will give him the best stage to excel. In this game Gio's side will be pushing up and probably having a higher defensive line - hence a bit vulnerable to counter attacks.

I feel that Dortmund and Wolfsburg recent success is precisely to that point employing a more dynamic and counter attacking approach, rather than the rest of the teams in the league with more hardworking and fast player all round. Always felt that Bayern, Schalke, Werder sides played a bit at slower pace generally compared to recent Dortmund and Wolfsburg sides.

And for Bayern I'm not really talking only about Guardiola as prime case but more of Hitzfeld 5-4-1.

La Liga IMO as a personal overview has been more open and at least to my viewing a bit pacier, but as you said it's a bit of a moot point rather than what we're onto here.

Last edited:

MJJ

Rightio! Well, i think the post explains how that would work as well. I'm sure Nedved/Ballack/Michel had a couple seasons each with 10+ goals so i don't see it as a problem.
Both Nedven and Michel arent regular goal scorers(one goal in five/four games for each), infact ballack has a better goal scoring record than either. Thats why I believe in a game where there wont be too many goal scoring chances for either side, we will edge this as we have more clinical players.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Both Nedven and Michel arent regular goal scorers(one goal in five/four games for each), infact ballack has a better goal scoring record than either. Thats why I believe in a game where there wont be too many goal scoring chances for either side, we will edge this as we have more clinical players.
In Muller and Eto'o you probably do have more combined goalscoring in there. My counter argument is that they'll be starved of service because the midfield will be throttled. And the game is really set up for Ballack to get on the end of something from out wide, or for Ibra to tee up one for him or Veron or Nedved. Or for Ibra simply to translate the midfield control into goal(s).

MJJ

In Muller and Eto'o you probably do have more combined goalscoring in there. My counter argument is that they'll be starved of service because the midfield will be throttled. And the game is really set up for Ballack to get on the end of something from out wide, or for Ibra to tee up one for him or Veron or Nedved. Or for Ibra simply to translate the midfield control into goal(s).
Will it be though? Deschamps is playing deeper so will be marking sneijder in all likelihood. That leaves ballack or veron to try and stop pep. Not the best choice of players. Given how deep he is playing and against the players he is playing against, he will get enough time of the ball to pick the passes through. This is where savicec comes into play as well, his dribbling is going to be crucial in giving us breaks in play as he can carry the ball a long way.

Samuel and Silva against ibra is an even contest so I dont expect him to dominate the game as much as he normally does, particularly because you arent utilizing his full skillset.

VivaJanuzaj

It is an absolute murder in the middle of the park.

Veron to Ibra, Nedved knocking in crosses, Michel similar and Ballack making runs beyond Ibra and fecking VERON in general !!!
Sums up how voters work in this game. Get a good midfield and the rest matters nothing because possession possession possession. Thank god you gave a feck and read any of the tactics regarding that

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Pep's barca which dominated la liga didnt really have two workhorses doing the donkey work either. Khedira's work rate is fine, his quality is another matter. And both pep and sneijder were excellent positionally.

Most of the time it was pep, with an AM and a midfielder with a good work rate. We are playing a similar system here but apparently we will get destroyed when that team didnt (other than a couple of exceptions).
You aren't being destroyed, actually. And I predict this match will end up closer than it is presently, vote wise. It seems like a trend - most of the matches so far have attracted voters who seemingly disagree rather strongly with the other side in the debate(s).

For me this is very simple. I don't think Khedira is anywhere near good enough. He's the glue in your midfield combo, a key player, in fact. And he's out of his depth. Bang, that's it. Others will undoubtedly disagree, however, and I'm sure this will be reflected in the voting by and by too.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
This ballon comparing business isn't all that interesting, to be honest.

What's evident, however, is that Michel isn't out of his depth here.

Also agree with everything which has been said about the balance and functionality of that Pep-Khedira-Sneijder axis. Don't see that working very well at all.

As for Müller on the left, that's potentially tricky. If it's the "proven" argument, I have no time for it. The only relevant question is whether he would work - and to what degree - in that role, in this set-up. Or, to be more precise, the actual question is whether he loses a signficant part of his best game by having to start, nominally, on the left. I don't think the answer to that is obvious given the sort of player Müller is.

The CL/league conundrum: It's no conundrum. The theme of the draft is what it is. In many cases, managers do not focus specifically on league form - they just go with the general impression Player X gave at Club Y, rather than focusing on league form specifically. But if a manager can demonstrate that Player X's performances during the relevant period were less impressive in the league than in other tournaments, this is a valid point - and ignoring it amounts to ignoring the actual premise of the draft itself.

I tried to raise this point at the beginning of the draft, btw. I personally think there is something unnatural about isolating performances in one tournament when assessing a player. Football doesn't work like that - a season has its own rhythm, players do feature in multiple tournaments and it shapes their overall performance in any given season.

But the premise is given - it can't be disregarded.
The way I base the player performance is his whole form during his peak at the set period. For example Roy Makaay. I don't take into consideration his Deportivo days but I do take into his European and NT form during his Bayern peak. I don't think you can discount one thing when it's all connected. It gets a little more difficult when you have a player like Ciro Ferrara who might not have had a definitive peak at Juve but more of the same kind of consistency throughout his whole time there. Isolating one season out of all that shebang would be fine by me but not necessarily enough for others.

Regarding the teams in question I also have a bit of a problem with the away midfield and Müller on the left. It's not that Müller would be shit on the left it's just that he could be so much better on the right. Perhaps in this particular tactical setup it won't matter as much because at the end of the day his main strength is being the best footballer in the world when not having the ball.

I don't really see a problem with Gio's team. You could nitpick in some way that Sergi and Michel are a weak link but that's not much of an argument imo. Michel is still no Jesus Navas, he's really good. Sergi is a seasoned international for Spain and was Barca's first choice for a long time. Just because he's not Roberto Carlos doesn't mean he's weak.

I think Vi-Jay set up their team nicely but I think their lacking that one man in midfield for this tactic. The problem that people are having with it I think is that they're looking at the team and comparing it to Inter expecting it to work exactly the same way. That's probably because Sneijder is described as having the exact same role and that imo was a mistake. Playing similarly with Guardiola and Khedira deep but not really grafting in the same way Cambiasso and Motta did is a fine tactic but when you make the comparison yourself and expect the end result to be the same you get into trouble.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Will it be though? Deschamps is playing deeper so will be marking sneijder in all likelihood. That leaves ballack or veron to try and stop pep. Not the best choice of players.
What do you suggest? Should I stick Sensini on him? ;)

Let's be honest, both Ballack and Veron are good fits in there and Ballack in particular has a superb engine.

Samuel and Silva against ibra is an even contest so I dont expect him to dominate the game as much as he normally does, particularly because you arent utilizing his full skillset.
How not? By playing him as the line-leader with space to drop into? By flanking him with genuine width to create space? By combining him with hard workers to do the dirty work for him? It's a pretty tasty fit for Ibra I have to say.

Snow

Sums up how voters work in this game. Get a good midfield and the rest matters nothing because possession possession possession. Thank god you gave a feck and read any of the tactics regarding that
I don't think that's true. Enigma and I beat AldoStain and he had the best midfield paring in the draft. There are more factors at play. Sometimes its as simple as having a single player in your team to get one vote. People have a massive hard-on for Riquelme for example in these drafts despite him being far behind many, many players in a similar position in his career.

MJJ

What do you suggest? Should I stick Sensini on him? ;)

Let's be honest, both Ballack and Veron are good fits in there and Ballack in particular has a superb engine.

How not? By playing him as the line-leader with space to drop into? By flanking him with genuine width to create space? By combining him with hard workers to do the dirty work for him? It's a pretty tasty fit for Ibra I have to say.
Yeah, not questioning that. Like I said your midfield is perfect.

I would probably have a wing-forward alongside him, someone like muller on the right or left personally.

The way I base the player performance is his whole form during his peak at the set period. For example Roy Makaay. I don't take into consideration his Deportivo days but I do take into his European and NT form during his Bayern peak. I don't think you can discount one thing when it's all connected. It gets a little more difficult when you have a player like Ciro Ferrara who might not have had a definitive peak at Juve but more of the same kind of consistency throughout his whole time there. Isolating one season out of all that shebang would be fine by me but not necessarily enough for others.

Regarding the teams in question I also have a bit of a problem with the away midfield and Müller on the left. It's not that Müller would be shit on the left it's just that he could be so much better on the right. Perhaps in this particular tactical setup it won't matter as much because at the end of the day his main strength is being the best footballer in the world when not having the ball.

I don't really see a problem with Gio's team. You could nitpick in some way that Sergi and Michel are a weak link but that's not much of an argument imo. Michel is still no Jesus Navas, he's really good. Sergi is a seasoned international for Spain and was Barca's first choice for a long time. Just because he's not Roberto Carlos doesn't mean he's weak.

I think Vi-Jay set up their team nicely but I think their lacking that one man in midfield for this tactic. The problem that people are having with it I think is that they're looking at the team and comparing it to Inter expecting it to work exactly the same way. That's probably because Sneijder is described as having the exact same role and that imo was a mistake. Playing similarly with Guardiola and Khedira deep but not really grafting in the same way Cambiasso and Motta did is a fine tactic but when you make the comparison yourself and expect the end result to be the same you get into trouble.
With muller, I dont think it matters that much. Lke you said he is the best footballer in the world when he doesnt have the ball so it doesnt matter which position he starts in as long as he is allowed to roam which is the case here. he is going to hunt for weaknesses in gio's backline and capitalize on it.

That was a lazy comparison just to give an idea of how we will play as its easier to point to a specific side then go we are playing deep and cutting off the passing avenues for gio's side. and then describe how that will be successful.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That's the thing - your midfield can work, but Pep's Barca (again you comparing your midfield with the one that's totally different from yours) never sat back and soaked pressure, like you intent to. Busquets/Toure + Xavi + Iniesta played to their strengths - which is ball retention, passing and pressing. From your midfield three only Snejider is comfortable playing like Inter did, for example, and he wasn't the key defensive player for them - Pep would be very uncomfortable playing that way and even Khedira impressed me more when he played for a dominating team (not surprisingly and not that he impressed me greatly tbf, he is by far the worst midfielder on the pitch, especially when we point out that it isn't even La Liga's Khedira)

Snow

Yeah, not questioning that. Like I said your midfield is perfect.

I would probably have a wing-forward alongside him, someone like muller on the right or left personally.

With muller, I dont think it matters that much. Lke you said he is the best footballer in the world when he doesnt have the ball so it doesnt matter which position he starts in as long as he is allowed to roam which is the case here. he is going to hunt for weaknesses in gio's backline and capitalize on it.

That was a lazy comparison just to give an idea of how we will play as its easier to point to a specific side then go we are playing deep and cutting off the passing avenues for gio's side. and then describe how that will be successful.
That comparison matters a lot because it's the best that we have to judge the players job. When you say he's going to be exactly like that it suggests that other roles need to be compensated for in order to allow Sneijder to function exactly like you describe.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's a pretty compelling argument to be fair.
Well, it depends on how one rates and judges the poor bastard, of course. And - not least - on how one interprets the totality of the thing: Even if he's underwhelming and/or not a good fit, can they get away with it - because they make up for it elsewhere?

Answer? Not for me - no. Gio's team has no obvious flaws, nor is there any obvious difference in terms of goal threat/match winners. So, in this particular case what I see as a clear flaw (Khedira, in a word) decides the matter.

Just clarifying my, say, rationale here. What Viva suggests above isn't true either for scan voters or for more involved parties. It's not simply a question of looking at the middle of the park and go with whoever wins the mythical midfield battle. In this particular case the middle of the park is the key area, as I see it - because that's where the obvious flaw is. That's the reasoning.

Moby

Dick
Well, it depends on how one rates and judges the poor bastard, of course. And - not least - on how one interprets the totality of the thing: Even if he's underwhelming and/or not a good fit, can they get away with it - because they make up for it elsewhere?

Answer? Not for me - no. Gio's team has no obvious flaws, nor is there any obvious difference in terms of goal threat/match winners. So, in this particular case what I see as a clear flaw (Khedira, in a word) decides the matter.

Just clarifying my, say, rationale here. What Viva suggests above isn't true either for scan voters or for more involved parties. It's not simply a question of looking at the middle of the park and go with whoever wins the mythical midfield battle. In this particular case the middle of the park is the key area, as I see it - because that's where the obvious flaw is. That's the reasoning.
I'll also add that Khedira is also instructed to help Sagnol against Nedved and given their tactic of keeping Dejan forward the whole time Khedira inevitably would have to help out or else it will be 2v1. A giant task for him all things considered and I don't really rate him all that much to be able to accomplish that.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I feel that Dortmund and Wolfsburg recent success is precisely to that point employing a more dynamic and counter attacking approach, rather than the rest of the teams in the league with more hardworking and fast player all round. Always felt that Bayern, Schalke, Werder sides played a bit at slower pace generally compared to recent Dortmund and Wolfsburg sides.
I think it's obvious throughout the league right now. Teams like Hertha, Augsburg, Mainz, even Hannover a few years ago when they reached the EL quarterfinals were direct teams that excelled through quick transitions. Leverkusen right now is an even more extreme example. If we go back through the decade it's a bit more difficult to determine, because the Bundesliga didn't have a defining style compared to the other 3 top leagues in my opinion, at least since the 70's. The 60's and 70's were different but that's a complex discussion for a different time.

Schalke and Werder are just a mess at the moment and don't have a recognisable style. Bremen is an interesting topic in that regard, because they're defined through two longterm managers but played very different styles. Schaaf's Werder side in the 00's was very different to Rehagel's in the 80's and early 90's. Werder under Schaaf was always a very technical and open team that tried to outscore the opponent with a wonderful AM pulling the strings, from the underrated Micoud to Diego and then Özil. Since the core of Diego, Özil, Mertesacker, Frings, Pizarro, Naldo left Bremen around 2010 (+/- one year) they're just a nothing team.

So to bring this back on topic regarding Bratseth. In comparison Rehagel's Bremen side was always very defensive minded and tough to break down, never really that exciting to watch even though they had quality individuals who would make the difference often enough to win titles/trophies. Which brings us to the following point:

I was generally referring to Bratseth dealing with Eto'o type of strikers - fast and technical on daily basis during that time, not the midfield in hand. For example if Werder in those years had more of a counter attacking approach with Bratseth being a no nonsense defender that is tall and strong, which would make more sense given they will soak pressure it will give him the best stage to excel. In this game Gio's side will be pushing up and probably having a higher defensive line - hence a bit vulnerable to counter attacks.
I'd start by pointing out that the comment about Eto'o type strikers seems a bit misleading because no defender in any league at any time faced a striker like him on a daily basis. If we look outside the league, then it might be worth mentioning that Brathseth did a damn brilliant job in the Cup Winner's Cup final against Wenger's Monaco side with Weah upfront. I'm not sure why Gio's team is supposed to push up though? You don't have to play a high defensive line that could expose your defenders to counterattacks just because you got more control in midfield?

Enigma_87

You know who

In their write up Viva/MJJ already conceded that area and they are soaking pressure and playing counter attack. It's not a question if the will win or lose the midfield battle as it is already conceded but more if Khedira/Pep protecting the area in front of the defensive line and if they are capable of doing that at this level, while at the same time if they can score more from the fewer chances they will get going forward.

For me is more of how Viva/MJJ midfield trio can keep the fort as a unit rather than individuals in this case, which is the key.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
If I could vote twice against you I would. I know plenty well how these drafts work and whilst I did read how you thought you would combat the midfield area, I disagreed and now wish I hadn't and just voted regardless, the post was made with a slight amount of jest as most who have played these drafts know my predispostion towards the Ali G looking talented Argie twat.

I hope you lose and furthermore I hope you lose by as much as your attitude sucks.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
What's your take on Muller in this game, @Balu ?
Müller's always awesome. Not the biggest fan of him on the left for the simple reason that his game is more one dimensional than on the right. On the right he can still work like a typical winger, run down the line, cut back or put a cross in. His left foot is pretty weak though (good enough for weird finishes in the box of course, but not that much more) and when he played on the left, his strength as a free roaming forward were still there. But from a right footed winger played on the left, you expect more dribbling, cutting inside with the ball. He doesn't offer that.

With a more attacking leftback who would offer the width, I wouldn't mind it as much, because you'd be happy to have Müller do his thing. But with Abidal leftback and only Sneijder drifting to the left from time to time, Müller either looks a bit lost out there or he plays mostly central-ish and that left wing looks deserted.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's not a question if the will win or lose the midfield battle as it is already conceded but more if Khedira/Pep protecting the area in front of the defensive line and if they are capable of doing that at this level...
Yes, obviously. I'm not suggesting they're deluded, simply that the answer to the question in bold is "no".

Enigma_87

You know who
I think it's obvious throughout the league right now. Teams like Hertha, Augsburg, Mainz, even Hannover a few years ago when they reached the EL quarterfinals were direct teams that excelled through quick transitions. Leverkusen right now is an even more extreme example. If we go back through the decade it's a bit more difficult to determine, because the Bundesliga didn't have a defining style compared to the other 3 top leagues in my opinion, at least since the 70's. The 60's and 70's were different but that's a complex discussion for a different time.

Schalke and Werder are just a mess at the moment and don't have a recognisable style. Bremen is an interesting topic in that regard, because they're defined through two longterm managers but played very different styles. Schaaf's Werder side in the 00's was very different to Rehagel's in the 80's and early 90's. Werder under Schaaf was always a very technical and open team that tried to outscore the opponent with a wonderful AM pulling the strings, from the underrated Micoud to Diego and then Özil. Since the core of Diego, Özil, Mertesacker, Frings, Pizarro, Naldo left Bremen around 2010 (+/- one year) they're just a nothing team.

So to bring this back on topic regarding Bratseth. In comparison Rehagel's Bremen side was always very defensive minded and tough to break down, never really that exciting to watch even though they had quality individuals who would make the difference often enough to win titles/trophies. Which brings us to the following point:

I'd start by pointing out that the comment about Eto'o type strikers seems a bit misleading because no defender in any league at any time faced a striker like him on a daily basis. If we look outside the league, then it might be worth mentioning that Brathseth did a damn brilliant job in the Cup Winner's Cup final against Wenger's Monaco side with Weah upfront. I'm not sure why Gio's team is supposed to push up though? You don't have to play a high defensive line that could expose your defenders to counterattacks just because you got more control in midfield?
I think out of all sides I've watched in the last 20 years or so the most appealing at least to me were Toppmöller Bayer, Löw's Stuttgart and probably Dortmund's Hitzfeld side, which IMO was stark contrast to his Bayern job and although successful was underwhelming as a playing style for me.

as for the 80's I initially posed that question, because I think the 90's and 00's from what I've seen at least were full of tactically very good sides and probably the most glaring example is that Dortmund side routing 3-1 Juve which at the time was a far superior side. While in the same time going through statistics and goals scored per game in those years there are pretty big numbers, so it's interesting to know why is that the case as based on the national team I don't think it's due to the quality of defenders as that has always been excellent.

The Weah example is a good one. Not sure how good was the pool of strikers during that time(in BuLi).

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If I could vote twice against you I would. I know plenty well how these drafts work and whilst I did read how you thought you would combat the midfield area, I disagreed and now wish I hadn't and just voted regardless, the post was made with a slight amount of jest as most who have played these drafts know my predispostion towards the Ali G looking talented Argie twat.

I hope you lose and furthermore I hope you lose by as much as your attitude sucks.
But what do you think about VJ?

Moby

Dick

Agreed.