La Liga/Serie A/BuLi Draft - QF Gio vs VivaJanuzaj/MJJ

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Müller's always awesome. Not the biggest fan of him on the left for the simple reason that his game is more one dimensional than on the right. On the right he can still work like a typical winger, run down the line, cut back or put a cross in. His left foot is pretty weak though (good enough for weird finishes in the box of course, but not that much more) and when he played on the left, his strength as a free roaming forward were still there. But from a right footed winger played on the left, you expect more dribbling, cutting inside with the ball. He doesn't offer that.

With a more attacking leftback who would offer the width, I wouldn't mind it as much, because you'd be happy to have Müller do his thing. But with Abidal leftback and only Sneijder drifting to the left from time to time, Müller either looks a bit lost out there or he plays mostly central-ish and that left wing looks deserted.
Cheers. I was actually for once buying Muller's impact in an attack. :D But you have raised some valid points.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The Weah example is a good one. Not sure how good was the pool of strikers during that time(in BuLi).
Not as good as Eto'o or Weah of course, but there were plenty quality goalscorers around.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Cheers. I was actually for once buying Muller's impact in an attack. :D But you have raised some valid points.
I noticed your slightly annoyed comment when he scored the equaliser in the last minute against Juve ;). Seems like you're still not in love with him, shame on you.

Moby

Dick
I noticed your slightly annoyed comment when he scored the equaliser in the last minute against Juve ;). Seems like you're still not in love with him, shame on you.
Haha, that was actually meant as a compliment in a "How the hell does he do it everytime!!" way. :)
That was some next level grit and determination, hats off.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Haha, that was actually meant as a compliment in a "How the hell does he do it everytime!!" way. :)
That was some next level grit and determination, hats off.
Topped it off with that beautiful link-up play with Thiago for the game winner. Last minute equaliser and the assist for the lead in extra-time, that's Müller in a nutshell.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Thomas Muller could be already considered as one the greatest German players of All-Time.

Keeping things in proportion, he is like Djorkaeff (equivalent CV): he is able to disappear 30 minutes and then have a great stroke of genius.

Let's say he is capable of playing in any positions even if his best games were on the right or as a support striker.

For me, his positioning here is not an issue.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Keeping things in proportion, he is like Djorkaeff (equivalent CV): he is able to disappear 30 minutes and then have a great stroke of genius.
In a way that's true for almost every great goalscorer though. When your team is struggling, you end up isolated and disconnected and need to make it count when the one chance appears. And Müller does have many games where he's a constant threat and involved throughout. It's not the case that he's regularly invisible and scores out of nowhere all the time.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
In a way that's true for almost every great goalscorer though. When your team is struggling, you end up isolated and disconnected and need to make it count when the one chance appears. And Müller does have many games where he's a constant threat and involved throughout. It's not the case that he's regularly invisible and scores out of nowhere all the time.
My point was just to say: good or bad shape, he is almost always decisive on a long-run basis.

We can't say the same for a player like Weah.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
My point was just to say: good or bad shape, he is almost always decisive on a long-run basis.

We can't say the same for a player like Weah.
Yeah, that's fair enough. For what it's worth, I don't consider Weah a great goalscorer. For all his qualities, he wasn't really that lethal in front of goal and made a bigger difference with his allround game than with decisive goals.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yeah, that's fair enough. For what it's worth, I don't consider Weah a great goalscorer. For all his qualities, he wasn't really that lethal in front of goal and made a bigger difference with his allround game than with decisive goals.
Agreed, Weah was an elegant striker, not a pure scorer & winner like Eto'o

I am not a big fan of Muller but I have a big respect for his career and impact on the game.

MJJ

That's the thing - your midfield can work, but Pep's Barca (again you comparing your midfield with the one that's totally different from yours) never sat back and soaked pressure, like you intent to. Busquets/Toure + Xavi + Iniesta played to their strengths - which is ball retention, passing and pressing. From your midfield three only Snejider is comfortable playing like Inter did, for example, and he wasn't the key defensive player for them - Pep would be very uncomfortable playing that way and even Khedira impressed me more when he played for a dominating team (not surprisingly and not that he impressed me greatly tbf, he is by far the worst midfielder on the pitch, especially when we point out that it isn't even La Liga's Khedira)
That's the thing - your midfield can work, but Pep's Barca (again you comparing your midfield with the one that's totally different from yours) never sat back and soaked pressure, like you intent to. Busquets/Toure + Xavi + Iniesta played to their strengths - which is ball retention, passing and pressing. From your midfield three only Snejider is comfortable playing like Inter did, for example, and he wasn't the key defensive player for them - Pep would be very uncomfortable playing that way and even Khedira impressed me more when he played for a dominating team (not surprisingly and not that he impressed me greatly tbf, he is by far the worst midfielder on the pitch, especially when we point out that it isn't even La Liga's Khedira)
I meant the barca pep played in, not the one I managed. So again you are wrong about me comparing midfields

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Agreed.

Maybe Khedira decided it as a main difference.
Sure. I think 4 factors explained such a result:

- even if the career peak of Khedira was in La Liga, Khedira is probably underrated here
- the positioning of Muller: not an issue for me but I do understand why it is for some. To be creative in tactical terms is very risky (like I did with Stankovic)
- the midfield of Gio has a much stronger physical impact: 3 players with a high work-rate.
- The team of Viva - like mine - has 4 very offensive players: to get the right balance, you need one warrior (destroyer) at least to support them (Makélélé, Keane, Effenberg...)

Each team has a proven successful connection (Nedved-Ibra and Etoo-Sneijder) and a strong defence.

Unfortunately, Etoo did not have the opportunity to play against Bratseht & Puyol (not sure for the last one) while Ibra shined against Sagnol/Samuel.

Last edited:

VivaJanuzaj

Cheers for some of you who actually tried to spark up some debate, I couldn't be here too much and since that Stobz rant about me I couldn't give a feck either. Maybe Stobz has a thing for me for a long time and maybe he just picked it up, either way he's either a big asshole or just a cnut for the sake of it. Whatever's up with him and from whatever place he decided that "I hope you lose and furthermore I hope you lose by as much as your attitude sucks". Don't know since when my attitude sucks because I think it's the first time he ever said anything to me, but I guess his hopes lived up to it and we did lose by the big margin. Anyway @Stobzilla I have jack shit what I did to you to make you this much of an asshole in my direction(Forget MJJ whose done nothing), but I don't think this is was a great way of letting me know, unless you just do it for the fun of having someone feel like shit.

Good luck @Gio , you have a fantastic team and it was a tough one going in to from scratch. Go win this

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@VivaJanuzaj

It happens to everyone to be attacked on an internet forum when we least expect it. Part of the game on a forum.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I have to say, even if Stobz was a little over the top (and he was), I genuinely get the reasoning behind it. I very much disliked the arguing from VJ and MJJ here and we, a polite bunch that we are, don't criticize each other enough. He shouldn't have been that personal, but your attitude did suck - the way you reacted on Stobz joke and accused him of being too simple and lazy to have a reasoned opinion on the subject was awful and childish. And you should've lost by a big margin just because there is a gap in quality between the teams.

VivaJanuzaj

I have to say, even if Stobz was a little over the top (and he was), I genuinely get the reasoning behind it. I very much disliked the arguing from VJ and MJJ here and we, a polite bunch that we are, don't criticize each other enough. He shouldn't have been that personal, but your attitude did suck - the way you reacted on Stobz joke and accused him of being too simple and lazy to have a reasoned opinion on the subject was awful and childish. And you should've lost by a big margin just because there is a gap in quality between the teams.
Really? Because I feel that other than maybe underrating Michel we've repeatedly said how good his players are and that he's built a top team that would be in control for the most of the match and that we want to counter attack it otherwise.
I mean it seriously, @Stobzilla too, besides the Michel thing which I stand behind and accusing stobz on voting only because of midfield, and thats due to his first post saying veron to nedved to ballack game over or something in that area, besidew these two really tell me what stunk because either I'm being misinterprated or I'm just being a dick withoug even realising it and either way I'd like to know

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
How many fecking assistants does @Gio have? Seems like loads arguing his case in this game.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
People were arguing quite vehemently considering they weren't actually involved - usually happens after a few games have already taken place and tensions between certain people have built up.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Cheers for some of you who actually tried to spark up some debate, I couldn't be here too much and since that Stobz rant about me I couldn't give a feck either. Maybe Stobz has a thing for me for a long time and maybe he just picked it up, either way he's either a big asshole or just a cnut for the sake of it. Whatever's up with him and from whatever place he decided that "I hope you lose and furthermore I hope you lose by as much as your attitude sucks". Don't know since when my attitude sucks because I think it's the first time he ever said anything to me, but I guess his hopes lived up to it and we did lose by the big margin. Anyway @Stobzilla I have jack shit what I did to you to make you this much of an asshole in my direction(Forget MJJ whose done nothing), but I don't think this is was a great way of letting me know, unless you just do it for the fun of having someone feel like shit.

Good luck @Gio , you have a fantastic team and it was a tough one going in to from scratch. Go win this
Again, I laid it out for you as to why I posted what I did if it is still a mystery to you then I don't know what to say. Aldo seemed to agree with me though, I suspect others may do privately.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Really? Because I feel that other than maybe underrating Michel we've repeatedly said how good his players are and that he's built a top team that would be in control for the most of the match and that we want to counter attack it otherwise.
I mean it seriously, @Stobzilla too, besides the Michel thing which I stand behind and accusing stobz on voting only because of midfield, and thats due to his first post saying veron to nedved to ballack game over or something in that area, besidew these two really tell me what stunk because either I'm being misinterprated or I'm just being a dick withoug even realising it and either way I'd like to know
I didn't think you and MJJ did much wrong. I didn't agree with your arguments regarding your midfield, but as it was the obvious mismatch on the pitch and the area everyone was focusing on you had to try something or else effectively concede the game. You weren't really disrespectful to Gio or his players at all. IMO alot crazier stuff has been said in alot of the other matches this draft. You shouldn't have insulted Stobz I guess, but then I've been reading or taking part in these drafts for years and I didn't get his joke either, and its always annoying when someone comes in and effectively takes a shit on your team.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
People were arguing quite vehemently considering they weren't actually involved - usually happens after a few games have already taken place and tensions between certain people have built up.
Yeah, that will happen, I guess. Grudges big and slight, and so forth.

Still, I don't feel that's a huge problem in these things.

But – it's another potential benefit of my moderator scheme: In a given match where the comments are very one-sided (i.e. multiple posters are, essentially, arguing the same thing – and in favour of one manager/team), the moderator can step in and demand that the manager who isn't under scrutiny also deals with a few issues that haven't been properly dealt with/overshadowed by the one thing people in the thread bang on about.

I stress again that my hypothetical moderator would in no way interfere with the neutrals: They can post whatever they like and bang on as they please. He only focuses on the managers and interferes to a degree with the discussion that takes place directly between the opponents.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Agreed it's harsh for Viva/MJJ. I almost voted for them to have a more deservedly balanced score in that very close match.

MJJ

Ignore harms, havent taken his opinion seriously for a few games now. Seems to have some sort of bias from his too many lies in last game and weird midfield comparisons in this one. End of the day, its just a game on an online forum not something to get riled up on.

With stobz even though I didnt get the joke, thats his normal posting style. Is mostly taking the mick.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
In theory, the more voters, the more fairer is the result.

The result won't be polluted by unfair considerations if you have more than 50 voters at least.

If someone explains his vote, it will necessarily disadvantage someone.

If you want a neutral conversation, then you have to forbid comments and only authorize "questions": a Q&A session + exchanges between the 2 managers involved.

Each managers answers the questions and, once the poll is closed, everyone explains his choice.

Otherwise, you subdivide a game into topics like Offensive Strategy/Defensive Strategy/Goalkeeper/... and you need a moderator in this scenario.

Then, I don't know if it is a good idea or not to hide the name of the voters or the results in real time.

I am of those who think any voter is able to exercise critical reflection on the game.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Personally, I don't think the voting aspect of it is all that important. I think most would agree that the real fun – for the managers – is the drafting. The matches are a bit of a chore more often than not, and if your main interest in the thing is to win, you're better off doing something else in the first place.

Then there's what appeals to both managers and neutrals: Talking about great and/or interesting football players. That's the core of it, surely. My main gripe with the match threads is that they tend to be repetitive – and they rather frequently turn into various shades of handbags. The latter really isn't all that entertaining or interesting, in my opinion.

The match part of the drafts could do with a reform or two. Something radically new, perhaps, to shake things up a bit. We're presently back to precisely where we were months ago. And everyone seems to agree that the match stage is practically an anticlimax compared to the initial stage. So, in short, I don't think we have anything to lose by experimenting more radically with this.

harms

Staff
Ignore harms, havent taken his opinion seriously for a few games now. Seems to have some sort of bias from his too many lies in last game and weird midfield comparisons in this one.
:lol: okay

Moby

Dick
Ignore harms, havent taken his opinion seriously for a few games now.
This is what people are saying, stop keeping fecking grudges all the time. He criticised your team, and you take it personally for some reason.

But it's cool either way. I don't mind watching the drama anyway :D

MJJ

This is what people are saying, stop keeping fecking grudges all the time. He criticised your team, and you take it personally for some reason.

But it's cool either way. I don't mind watching the drama anyway :D
Am not keeping any grudges? As chester said above the matches are the most boring part of the draft.

Thats twice he has said we either lied or exaggerated without later backing it up. So either he is an idiot or is biased. I believe its the latter.

Moby

Dick
Am not keeping any grudges? As chester said above the matches are the most boring part of the draft.

Thats twice he has said we either lied or exaggerated without later backing it up. So either he is an idiot or is biased. I believe its the latter.
Sometimes people criticise harshly but it is criticism all the same. You don't have to look for a reason behind it, no one, at least not me, would ever have some agenda to post in a fecking draft game, that's insane.

Right?

harms

Staff
Thats twice he has said we either lied or exaggerated without later backing it up
Twice? Here I talked about Viva's attitude to blame the result on the stupid voters (believing that Stobz was one, which is insane as it is) and not on the quality of your team. And you haven't responded on my point of your midfield being completely different to what you need to succeed in your tactics, you just laughed it off - of course I voted and argued against your team after that.

And re: holding a grudge - seriously, repeating Aldo's question - who the feck would hold a grudge over a draft game and decide what to post and who to vote for based on that? Only a 12-year old

VivaJanuzaj

Twice? Here I talked about Viva's attitude to blame the result on the stupid voters (believing that Stobz was one, which is insane as it is) and not on the quality of your team. And you haven't responded on my point of your midfield being completely different to what you need to succeed in your tactics, you just laughed it off - of course I voted and argued against your team after that.

And re: holding a grudge - seriously, repeating Aldo's question - who the feck would hold a grudge over a draft game and decide what to post and who to vote for based on that? Only a 12-year old
Worst things have been said in these draft games than criticising voters on not reading OPs due to a response regarding the midfield and that's it. I doubt Stobz took it too personally but from this to being so aggressive about one comment that says voters look only on midfields to vote? it's a bit much. I find it more troubling on how exaggerated the response was towards it and based on it deciding my entire attitude stinks where I actually think this is one of the more appreciative OPs and comments towards the opponent this draft has seen.

MJJ

When did I laugh it off and ...?

Sometimes people criticise harshly but it is criticism all the same. You don't have to look for a reason behind it, no one, at least not me, would ever have some agenda to post in a fecking draft game, that's insane.

Right?
Criticism yes, but not blatant lies. I didnt even accuse you of having an agenda, was just telling viva not to bother with harms.