Lack of rotation: Will this hurt us deeper in the season?

norm87cro

Malacia and Garnacho are being used as they should - sparingly and to develop. I would argue McTominay and Maguire have used all their "deserved minutes" up over the past 3 years when others should have been playing instead of them.
That might be true if we had a better squad but we dont

A-man

This. Lack of rotation is a result of a squad that's not good and not big enough. Which is something that should have been adressed in the summer. But we are owned by leeches so nothing new there.
Rotation is not only about resting players, it is also about developing the squad and have alternative players ready when needed. Now we have to play someone else than Eriksen for an unknown number of games.

We spent a record transfer sum this summer so we can’t really complain there.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Just seen on BBC Sport in relation to Cancelo exit:

Pep Guardiola notoriously likes working with small squads, but the Blues will have just 19 outfield players left in their first-team squad.
That includes 18-year-old Rico Lewis, who has become a regular feature post World Cup. It also includes Cole Palmer, 20, and Sergio Gomez, 22, who have only played a combined 216 minutes in the Premier League this season.
With Guardiola's side still competing in the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup, do they need a replacement?

I know we're worried about playing time for some of our main players, but is a smaller squad is becoming more common? Arsenal the same, seem to start the same 9 or 10 players each game? Obviously doesnt apply to Chelsea!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

If this happens in a tough and important game you just take it on the chin but this is an extremely heavy price to pay for going so strong in a game we should've rotated.

RonaldoVII

If this happens in a tough and important game you just take it on the chin but this is an extremely heavy price to pay for going so strong in a game we should've rotated.
Injuries like that can happen in any game; it wasn't muscular. I don't get people blaming his injury on a lack of rotation. People would moan at us being sluggish against Palace when some players would've had 10 days rest.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Even with Sabitzer coming in we’re still very thin in midfield with a vert congested period coming up. Basically, only Casemiro, Fred, Sabitzer and Bruno to cover three positions

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just seen on BBC Sport in relation to Cancelo exit:

Pep Guardiola notoriously likes working with small squads, but the Blues will have just 19 outfield players left in their first-team squad.
That includes 18-year-old Rico Lewis, who has become a regular feature post World Cup. It also includes Cole Palmer, 20, and Sergio Gomez, 22, who have only played a combined 216 minutes in the Premier League this season.
With Guardiola's side still competing in the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup, do they need a replacement?

I know we're worried about playing time for some of our main players, but is a smaller squad is becoming more common? Arsenal the same, seem to start the same 9 or 10 players each game? Obviously doesnt apply to Chelsea!
I think the more successful teams always end up having smaller squads. Basically the goal for a 25 man squad is to have 2 players per position/per role, to have 2 strong 11's but a variety of experience and youth to grow and phase out starters in normal time. And then the remaining of the 25 are your 3rd goalkeeper, a versatile young defender and versatile young midfielder. But basically, if you have 2 11's, that's all you need and what a settled team should target. Otherwise you get players who create unrest.

bosnian_red

Even with Sabitzer coming in we’re still very thin in midfield with a vert congested period coming up. Basically, only Casemiro, Fred, Sabitzer and Bruno to cover three positions
Sancho back, he can cover Bruno. McTominay is out for a few weeks but he is not the worst thing in the world to cover the handful of games that Casemiro won't play a season. Hard to get adequate cover for the best in the world in his position who will play almost every game.

De Gea
Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Fred
Antony Bruno Rashford
Martial

Butland/Heaton
AWB Maguire Lindelof Malacia
McTominay Sabitzer
Pellistri/Elanga Sancho Garnacho
Weghorst
It's not that bad depth TBF. It's a pretty clean group. If Sancho comes back to any sort of form then he'd be pushing the starting 11 for any of the 3 behind the striker, same with Sabitzer ahead of Fred who is very good depth himself.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
So much for the "he'll rotate vs Forest" and "players can't have 10 days off before Palace" brigade.

Wonder what it will be tonight? "3-0 is a dangerous lead at home"? "Players can't have 7 days off before Palace"?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
3 home games on the trot, no need to rotate. Plus most this game is already won so most of the players will be ambling around anyway.

Djemba-Djemba

The only real issues are Bruno and Casemiro.

We are exceptionally light in that area at the minute with three centre midfielders out injured and Sabitzer not registered in time, so we may not have been able to rest both of them anyway. I would have still liked at least one of them to get a rest though, probably Bruno.

Varane, Shaw and Martinez have all had decent rests recently so that's not a major issue i don't think.

PoTMS

Horrible rotation. It will definitely cost us in the long run, if not already.

bosnian_red

Not a huge issue today. McTominay would likely start if he was fit but he isn't. Mainoo will likely replace Casemiro at some point so whatever. Bruno probably is the only complaint I'd have today, would've liked Sancho to start ahead of him but he's being cautious. Hopefully we can swap them 2 at half time.

Rashford rested. Dalot still out so no choice at RB, the rest of the defence have been well rested so getting sharpness.

The only players worth resting are Rashford, Casemiro, Bruno, Shaw, Martinez and Varane. Varane, Shaw and Martinez have had their rest. Rashford gets one today. Just Casemiro and Bruno, though Casemiro didn't play vs Arsenal so again he's fine.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
He said he was going strong, keeps the momentum going. Don’t know why people are shocked

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I think we have to accept that hag doesn't do rotation :lol:

dutchred

he's trying to build a cohesion in the team. He will keep the basis regularly and introduce players only when necessary

MF1138

Wouldn't worry about it... they had the whole of last season off

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Bruno is the only player who has played consistently since the very begining of the season. Casemiro missed the first few games and missed Arsenal because of suspension. Sabitzer has come in fresh. Sancho has returned fresh. Pellestri appears to be part of the first team squad now. We'll be fine.

SER19

6 changes from the last game which had 6 (?) changes from the game previous?

People are going insane about rotation. 6 changes in both games. Including subs players will have played about 160 mins in 10 days

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Give us a goal or keep score against us at 0 and we should see substitutes come on at half time. I'd like to see Varane, Casimiro, Fernandes and Antony all taken off if we have a goal or 2 before half time.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Love Ten Hag and how he's transformed us so far, but I just can't even imagine a reason to play Casemiro and Bruno in a League Cup game at home to Nottingham Forest with a 3-0 lead, when we have a game every 3 or 4 days from now until the end of time.

Shai-Hulud

Love Ten Hag and how he's transformed us so far, but I just can't even imagine a reason to play Casemiro and Bruno in a League Cup game at home to Nottingham Forest with a 3-0 lead, when we have a game every 3 or 4 days from now until the end of time.
Entertaining the fans with a strong performance + win?

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Must be frustrating for someone like Pellestri, if you’re not getting a chance in this one then you’re unlikely to get one all season. Probably best loaning the likes of Amad out again next season if they’re not gonna get a sniff.

Kag

Dry your knickers. Soft bastards.

It was only ten years ago that we had one of the worst injury records in the league, in part due to Ferguson’s ludicrous and completely flawed policy of manic rotation. The same policy resulted in regular defeats to big rivals and zero chance in cup competitions.

Some of you lot would have players sat out for two weeks at a time, thus increasing their chances of injury.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Why didn't Pellestri start this one at least
That's one I can understand. Antony is just starting to play himself into some form and you'd want to keep that rolling.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Dry your knickers. Soft bastards.

It was only ten years ago that we had one of the worst injury records in the league, in part due to Ferguson’s ludicrous and completely flawed policy of manic rotation. The same policy resulted in regular defeats to big rivals and zero chance in cup competitions.

Some of you lot would have players sat out for two weeks at a time, thus increasing their chances of injury.
I like the first line :lol:

Camilo

I love how he's just playing a strong team, end of, every game.

We should have a couple of goals knocked in by half time today, then rest the lot. Imagine what it feels like for forest - no weakened opposition, no chance. They're already beaten in their heads now.

If we want to rotate we need rotation options, not shit options.

BuzzKillington

People complaining about lack of rotation, but I doubt we’re having to train that much at the moment, the games are that constant I’d imagine it’ll just be one day of training sandwiched in between two off/light training days. ETH will see these players everyday and will know how they are. We’ve not really seen any signs of flagging so far and it’s been constant for 4 months at this stage, fatigue should have already set in if it was going to be an issue.