Lack of rotation: Will this hurt us deeper in the season?

Ludens the Red

Well that’s why Mr Ten Haag hasn’t been rotating …..

Can’t trust our back ups. They’re a bit useless….

RedIan

Its clear to see ETH knows he cant trust the back up players. We were tumescent in the first half without martinez casamiro and rashford.
we have to upgrade on McT Lindelof and Harry et al.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Its clear to see ETH knows he cant trust the back up players. We were tumescent in the first half without martinez casamiro and rashford.
Getting McTominay sold and a solid understudy to Casemiro would do so much for our squad depth and ability to rotate. Casemiro didn't even have to be particularly fantastic today and it just completely shut down the game for West Ham.

Irwin99

That first 60 minutes was a bit of a warning wasn't it? If ever there was a match that highlighted how strong the spine of our team was a few years ago compared to what it is now (Sabitzer apart) it was this. Maguire and Lindelof with the square passes, no movement ahead of them from McTominay to receive the ball, slow slow build-up.

On come Martinez and Casemiro and suddenly we can move the ball quickly again. It's night and day.

Halftrack

Lindelöf is 3rd/4th choice, looks perfectly fine next to Martinez/Varane, and has the pace to survive in a higher line, so don't really agree that he has to be upgraded.

Him and Maguire can't play together, though, they're a terrible pairing.

spiriticon

The difference between a Varane-Casemiro-Martinez spine and a Maguire-Mctominay-Lindelof spine is just too big for a proper rotation

cyberman

6 changes was a bit extreme but we got through and a few got a rest and a run out against a West Ham who did feck all in the last 30 minutes.

cyril C

If you don't trust your 12th player, field U19. What is the point of having a squad of 25 players when you always play your trusted 11?

At the end of the day, what is your priority? Is the question that ETH need to ask himself, with support from the Board.

Try to field your best 11 in priority games, take a little bit of risk on secondary games. Why did he play Eriksen against Championship side in a FA game? This was obviously a mistake, and I believe ETH has learned from it.

I really like the approach this round, rotate half of the team, give fringe players a chance. If things doesn't work out, sub the big guns in. It works sometime but may not work other times like Spur, but at least utilise your squad to the full

ZahaWilf

We need to find someone who can replace Bruno as a 10 when needed because he should have been dragged first half tonight, he just wasn't at the races but as he seems to be ETH is love child he was never going to be. Improved along with the team second half.

bosskeano

i disagree...you had to rotate and while not at our best they still did their job until the big players came on. hard to have a rhythm to play a competitive match when you only play once every week or two while only getting a handful of minutes

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This is such a bunch of gas for me, man. Us not using McTominay and Lindelof a tiny bit more is not the reason we’re holding 7 goals to Liverpool

Idxomer

This is such a bunch of gas for me, man. Us not using McTominay and Lindelof a tiny bit more is not the reason we’re holding 7 goals to Liverpool
We conceded 6 of those in the 2nd half and mentally the players seemed totally out of it after the 2nd goal.

lsd

The Oracle
We have no choice in all honesty we can't rotate when the players that come in are not good enough.

Saying that not all the posters who start are good enough either.

Perhaps the biggest worry was who would score when Rashford finally stopped. Today we learned the answer was no one

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Starting to hurt us big time now. Eriksen got injured in a cup game against lower league opposition he shouldn't have started. Key players like Shaw, Bruno and Rashford look totally gassed. At this level with this amount of games you simply won't get away with not rotating throughout the season.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Starting to hurt us big time now. Eriksen got injured in a cup game against lower league opposition he shouldn't have started. Key players like Shaw, Bruno and Rashford look totally gassed. At this level with this amount of games you simply won't get away with not rotating throughout the season.
People complain that we don't press, that's because our players are physically done. We're got a relatively small squad of players we know we can depend on.

There's no magic switch to fix it either, we looked gassed before the Final. Unfortunately I don't see how we can turn it around.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
People complain that we don't press, that's because our players are physically done. We're got a relatively small squad of players we know we can depend on.

There's no magic switch to fix it either, we looked gassed before the Final. Unfortunately I don't see how we can turn it around.
I watched a lot of international football over the break and every United player I watched did far more for their countries than they did tonight. You don’t excuse performances like that with being ”physically done” when there’s recent evidence of there being plenty in the tank.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I watched a lot of international football over the break and every United player I watched did far more for their countries than they did tonight. You don’t excuse performances like that with being ”physically done” when there’s recent evidence of there being plenty in the tank.
We've already played 47 games. That's 12 more games than Newcastle have this season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Starting the same midfield that caused the team to get played off the park at home to Fulham and then not changing it for 80 minutes despite it being no better (to the surprise of no one), is nothing to do with rotation or not rotating, it's just extremely poor management.

If you completely ignore something that isn't working it will carry on not working.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We've already played 47 games. That's 12 more games than Newcastle have this season.
I couldn’t give a feck. I have literally just watched many of these same players with my own eyes look in peak condition for their countries in big wins.

Many of the players who have played the least this season looked just as shite.

Man-United

Massive to play such a strong team against Forest when we already were 3-0 up. Well done Eth.

HookedOnAPhelan

Or maybe many of our players are just shite. And mentally and physically weak as piss.

It's not as if we haven't seen this shit before, is it?

Man-United

It's quite clear you should rotate. This will effect us next season. Look at West Ham and Liverpool.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I couldn’t give a feck. I have literally just watched many of these same players with my own eyes look in peak condition for their countries in big wins.

Right, you just don't like being proven wrong as you were approving earlier in the season (in this thread) when we weren't rotating. Playing with some effort in a one off International game is different to returning back to your club knowing you have another possible 16 games to play in the season when you've already played 47.

If Rashford can barely run around now, imagine what he'll be like at the end of the season. Fact is that given the quality in our squad, going as far as you can in every cup and pushing for Top 4 just isn't feasible without something breaking. We've reached the broken stage.

Bruno's almost on 4,000 minutes this season already, that's more than last season combined. He only need to complete another 6 90min matches and he'll have played the most in any season in his career. You have to keep your best players fresh and fit, you can't grind them down so they can barely run. This needs to be a lesson ETH learns for next season.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Playing with some effort in a one off International game is different to returning back to your club knowing you have another possible 16 games to play in the season when you've already played 47.
What you are describing there is a mental issue rather than a physical one. You said we are “physically done”.

I am sure too that our players are jaded at this point and can’t find the enthusiasm for the league grind.

The problem is that we were just as shite away from home at the start of this season. We look tired whenever we play away from home against someone decent, as however we are approaching these games mentally isn’t working.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
What you are describing there is a mental issue rather than a physical one. You said we are “physically done”.

I am sure too that our players are jaded at this point and can’t find the enthusiasm for the league grind.

The problem is that we were just as shite away from home at the start of this season. We look tired whenever we play away from home against someone decent, as however we are approaching these games mentally isn’t working.
No, I'm clearing describing that our players (the best ones, not the shit ones that we all know are crap and should have been sold years ago) are overplayed. If you are over played, you become physically and mentally drained. It's one and the same, then you get fans complaining at Bruno and Rashford making little effort when they physically are unable too. Those two carry our offensive game, without Rashford this season we'd be worse off than last season. We simply don't have the goals when he's out of the team and don't have the creativity when Brunos out.

Winning a trophy is great, but going far in every competition has hurt us long term. Ole was the same too, always hitting Semi Finals or Finals of each competition and ultimately failing to see the bigger picture and rotating to ensure that when it comes crunch time our players are capable of running and not gassed. If we were going to target the domestic cups this season then we probably should have used the Europa League as a way of using our backup players.

I honestly think we're going to struggle big time in the coming weeks and it's been obvious this has been coming for months. I don't overly blame ETH though, it's largely down to the quality in the squad but I do think he was given the opportunity to rest our best players and hasn't done at times this season. He needs to adapt his Managment and use the squad more next season. Bruno for example has played 600minutes more than any Arsenal or City player this season. I feel sorry for the guy, unless he gets an injury in the coming weeks he'll hit the 15,000 minute mark in his United career in 3 and a half seasons.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We just don't have the quality in the squad depth to rotate. It's massive difference between Eriksen-Casemiro and McFred/Sabitzer. And also massive difference between Weghorst and Martial. Not to mention Sancho hasn't improve,

frostbite

Big wins vs Liechtenstein and Luxembourg?

Lentwood

We can't blame tiredness but accumulation of injuries and suspensions in key areas has hurt us. We haven't got the depth yet to compete on four fronts. There are some areas of the pitch we could have sustained one or two injuries, but unfortunately we've lost key players in CM and at CF and we don't have adequate cover

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Tiredness is undoubtedly an issue, but Ten Hag (like Ole) seems to have a blind spot on rotation

Was a surprise to see McTominay & Sabitzer start after they struggled Vs Fulham, even more so when you realise that both played on International break whereas Fred was completely rested

The_Order

Tiredness is undoubtedly an issue, but Ten Hag (like Ole) seems to have a blind spot on rotation

Was a surprise to see McTominay & Sabitzer start after they struggled Vs Fulham, even more so when you realise that both played on International break whereas Fred was completely rested
Wouldn't have made a difference. None of those players are DMs.

None have the capability to receive the ball in tight spaces nor are they press resistant. Sabitzer us decent but he's no casimero or Eriksen.

The midfield I'd the engine room of a team. Their ability to keep the ball means you can protect your backline and supply your attack.

Hopefully, ETH I'd done starting Weghorst, you're a man down with him.

Hughie77

You can't Rotate if you don't fancy what needs to go in?

EtH doesn't trust some of those he has to put in , he says he does, he has to , look through that and he doesn't.. Mctom is one , Maguire is another, Sancho is the other , Fred is another one , the Squad is poor in CM quality wise anyway, we got Eriksen, Casimero that's it Fred is inconsistent and Mctom isn't good enough, Sabitzer I think will get better given time if he stays.... players will have to go in Summer before we Buy..
These I'd get rid of .. Maguire, Mctom, Fred, Sancho. Those 4 to start with.. Sancho would be the hardest player to sell imo .

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Shaw injury was only a matter of time. A player with his record being on 3000+ minutes at the start of April was nothing short of a miracle.