Lack of urgency

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
What the feck is wrong with us? Why do we not try to win games when we're losing or drawing? Why are we so keen on just knocking the ball about until one of our players make a mistake?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Either Carrick or one of those centre backs need to take control and force play, neithet did.

Clas Sified

What the feck is wrong with us? Why do we not try to win games when we're losing or drawing? Why are we so keen on just knocking the ball about until one of our players make a mistake?
I'm sure the players are trying hard, but we just don't have the pace to get in behind the defenders or swiftly counter-attack. Our football's slow, and there's nothing we can do to change that until Di Maria comes back, or we sign a few quick players.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
It all comes from the defence and their lack of ability on the ball. Always passing the responsibility on to someone else. It's shocking to see them passing between themselves when attacking players an midfielders are running about making space just to be Ignored. Seems to happen every time evans plays.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So basically only Di Maria.
Having a bit of momentum with our best players playing consistently is critical. This weekly swapping of players is preventing us from gaining any sort of momentum. That said, I'll take an unbeaten in 10 run.

Moonred

We don't have enough quality in important positions to force the issue. We also lack pace, which in my view is incredibly important.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's annoying me. There's just no desire to push forward at pace and take some risks. The defenders are taking too long passing between themselves which allows the opposition to get back and defend. Everything is so slow and we end up creating nothing.

Hopefully di Maria changes this when he returns.

Kazi

What annoyed me most was only having four players in the box for the last minute corner that can win us two points, wtf was that all about

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Herrera, when fit hasn't been a guaranteed starter.
We don't really have many guaranteed starters do we. Its all down to other injuries where LvG has to play musical chairs with what he has at the moment.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What annoyed me most was only having four players in the box for the last minute corner that can win us two points, wtf was that all about
Yea I thought something was wrong with my screen, eyes or our players were simple hiding in each other's pants. Even DDG's slow restarting looked to me as if we were content with one fecking point against Stoke.

OneUnited24

We were just missing Di Maria.
I donno i'd add Herrera, Fellaini, Blind to that list. Basically our midfield.

Since those three have been out you can see we have no real shape in midfield and tend to bypass it. Its almost like watching United under SAF

Getsme

It all comes from the defence and their lack of ability on the ball. Always passing the responsibility on to someone else. It's shocking to see them passing between themselves when attacking players an midfielders are running about making space just to be Ignored. Seems to happen every time evans plays.
Disagree, the defence has nothing to do with the forward players making the wrong decisions, not making space or inability to get a shot on target, I can’t remember one save Stoke had to make in the second half, nor did we create any clear cut chances. The attackers are getting away with murder at the moment and some of our fans are blind to it as they are mainly focusing on our defence. Its time our mulita million £ attack step up to the mark.

Trizy

Rooney's wasted and is wasting a midfield spot, we've shit defenders who are afraid to make a forward pass and injuries basically.

zing

Zingle balls
One of RVP and Falcao has to sit on the bench, with more creativity behind them. There are too many forwards on the pitch.

Falcao should be the one starting.

Kazi

Against teams like Stoke (teams that aren't our rivals), we should be going for the win. Game theory; we can gain two points but only lose one. If we have four matches in the season where we're drawing against lower opposition teams, and go for the win in all of them, and say we win 2 and lose 2, that's six points as opposed to four points you'd get from four draws. We should be going for it against teams that aren't our rivals in situations like today.

Getsme

It seems at the moment a draw is better than a loss, whereas SAF would have seen a draw as a loss and went for full out attack in the last 15. I know which I prefer.

drdoityourself

It's bizarre that our midfielders first instinct is to look for a backpass, and if no one is available then they try something of note. It should be the other way around. All that passing at the back, we finally work it into midfield, but our midfielders don't have the bollocks to turn or pass to the nearest midfielder. So, more often than not they pass it back and we start our famous probing again.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Basically lack of pace
This, dribbling and anticipation. Basically we need Di Maria fit. Right now small margins decide if we win loose or draw.

Our strikers are top class, but they are not Aguero or Suarez, there main strenghts lies inside the box.

Our main two ways of attacking is either crossing by our wing-backs or a Carrick/Rooney ball to find Falcao/RvP. We need more options, but i think that comes when Di Maria is back.

JoaquinJoaquin

I do think Di Maria could of been the difference today but agree with the lack of urgency, really annoying. Must say though the subs killed the momentum for us going forward.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The team is generally more risk-averse in its attacking play for one thing, and i'd also question the stamina of the players. Stoke were not only fitter than us but more...forceful as well, more determined to win.

Part of it can be attributed to Van Gasl's mismanagement of the festive schedule, but then we've seen this problem manifest through the season. The subs don't help much either mind.

Boycott

Its called we don't have our best players on the pitch.
Nonsense. Showing urgency is an attitude to win. These players are still afraid of losing. Losing Di Maria should have led to others taking responsibility. If we need one player to provide urgency then we may as well give up.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I think Carrick is a bit to blame, his build up is so slow, he takes so much time. He's very calm, and many at times, that's what keeps us together, but when we're looking for a goal, that slow play of him shuts down any momentum and pace in the game. Cant wait for Blind to be back.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Di Maria would help but one player just cannot do it on his own, it has to be a general mindset. It is not even a question of being pacy, just release the damn ball quickly. We have players who take too many unnecessary touch on the ball to pass it back or lose it.

Last edited:

Rednotdead

I think the players have become so obsessed with keeping possession that they're scared to actually take a risk. When they receive the ball their first look is sideways or backwards.

Added to that, we badly need centre backs who are comfortable carrying the ball into midfield and passing it forwards instead of across the back 3.

fallengt

Maybe Philosophy isn't working, just a thought.
Seriously, LvG needs to adapt to EPL football. Pointless ball possession is pointless.

gasmanc

Banned
Di Maria, Herrera and Rafael (not starting). Makes a difference.
I think Blind as well, he offers so much composure, once he comes back I think it will allow Carrick forward more to find the forwards, he's the missing piece at the minute.
That and a dominant CB, the faster we get in Ron Vlaar who Van Gaal is determined not to talk about, the better.
That's enough of my crystal ball for today.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nonsense. Showing urgency is an attitude to win. These players are still afraid of losing. Losing Di Maria should have led to others taking responsibility. If we need one player to provide urgency then we may as well give up.
We were lacking in that department but that has nothing to do with my earlier point. We don't need individual urgency from one off players, we need squad urgency, which isn't going to happen until we have a fit squad who have a few games together to build that sort of momentum.

Rednotdead

Maybe Philosophy isn't working, just a thought.
Seriously, LvG needs to adapt to EPL football, pointless ball possession is pointless.
Thing is, we're not even confident in keeping possession. It's not done to winkle out an opening, it's just to keep possession.