Lautaro Martinez

Golden Nugget

So from the first post where he’s the perfect striker - it seems like he’s not great at finishing.

For someone that’s never seen him play, would you say he’s more of a Tevez or Firmino?

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Martinez is not pure 9 either. His best performance was when he played alongside striker. When he played as lone striker he wasn't that good.

I don't see what Martinez offers that Martial can't except work rate.

IMO it's not an upgrade, it's a sideways move.

Martial didn't have an elite season but he had 2 very good seasons, 2 good seasons and 2 poor ones. I hope he will be back to his best this season and I believe he will make the step up.
Fair enough.. So far Lautaro has been mainly very good around Lukaku.. He is still a very deep central striker though, nowhere near a 10 of a winger...

I would still take the gamble though.. Martial is just too much on and off for me..

Fair enough.. So far Lautaro has been mainly very good around Lukaku.. He is still a very deep central striker though, nowhere near a 10 of a winger...

I would still take the gamble though.. Martial is just too much on and off for me..
Don't you think Lautaro would be risk for a really high fee? He won't replicate Serie A numbers in the PL because literally no striker ever has. So it would be swapping Martial and £40million (assuming we get £40million for Martial) for a player who would not provide more goals/assists than Martial, who would need a period of getting used to the league, and who basically provides the same skill-set as Martial does (he's possibly a marginally better finisher when both are on form but is clearly worse with his back to goal, which is where Martial is most useful for us). He's 2 years younger, but he's also by no means a sure thing in the PL. Despite last season, Martial knows how to score in England.

I don't think fans realise how good Martial has been for us, a bit like Nani.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Don't you think Lautaro would be risk for a really high fee? He won't replicate Serie A numbers in the PL because literally no striker ever has. So it would be swapping Martial and £40million (assuming we get £40million for Martial) for a player who would not provide more goals/assists than Martial, who would need a period of getting used to the league, and who basically provides the same skill-set as Martial does (he's possibly a marginally better finisher when both are on form but is clearly worse with his back to goal, which is where Martial is most useful for us). He's 2 years younger, but he's also by no means a sure thing in the PL. Despite last season, Martial knows how to score in England.

I don't think fans realise how good Martial has been for us, a bit like Nani.
Like I said, Martial is too much on and off for me.. I dont have the feeling he will ever explode anymore to be our main attacking force for more than a series of games.

Lautaro has some risk indeed, because you dont know how he will adapt in the PL. So its a big of a high risk/high return kinda gamble by trading for Martial in my opinion.. You know indeed what you have with Martial.. Thats both a good thing and bad thing for me...

Thats why Id prefer to swap if given the choice.. Lautaro is also more the type of player we lack than Martial I think..

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Martinez performance in Serie A isn't better than what Martial produced for us. So not sure what we get from the swap.

We will be banking on change of league might make him a lot better player, chances are slim.

I'm not saying he isn't a good player, he is. It's just that I don't think swapping him for Martial would benefit us.

He will be crowd favorite for sure, he works his socks off.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Martinez performance in Serie A isn't better than what Martial produced for us. So not sure what we get from the swap.

We will be banking on change of league might make him a lot better player, chances are slim.

I'm not saying he isn't a good player, he is. It's just that I don't think swapping him for Martial would benefit us.

He will be crowd favorite for sure, he works his socks off.
I think the main thing for me is that he has shown an upwards increase of performance ánd numbers over the years, which Im hoping he can continue.. Also in another league.. Where Martial for me has been around the same level for years (over the flow of the season).. A level where he definitely has value for United (not great though), but which is below what Im hoping Lautaro can achieve is he continues developing..

Im a bit done with the hope for Martial for him becoming more than he is now for United.. And for Lautaro I still have the hope and some confidence he can become great for us as a #9.

I think the main thing for me is that he has shown an upwards increase of performance ánd numbers over the years, which Im hoping he can continue.. Also in another league.. Where Martial for me has been around the same level for years (over the flow of the season).. A level where he definitely has value for United (not great though), but which is below what Im hoping Lautaro can achieve is he continues developing..

Im a bit done with the hope for Martial for him becoming more than he is now for United.. And for Lautaro I still have the hope and some confidence he can become great for us as a #9.
Can't help but think of Luke Shaw when reading this post. I think all of what you've said about Martial was being said about Shaw up until last season. I think the Martinez links are a bit of a 'grass is always greener' type thing.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Can't help but think of Luke Shaw when reading this post. I think all of what you've said about Martial was being said about Shaw up until last season. I think the Martinez links are a bit of a 'grass is always greener' type thing.
Could very well be.. Its a subjective feeling ofcourse and no way to actually measure without it taking place.. And even then you are stuck with 'what ifs'..

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hmm I would swap Martial in a heartbeat to be fair.. Not because I think I am 100% sure he will be a generational striker or because I dont rate Martial at all...

But.....

Martial has been with us for years and it looks like we are all still awaiting on him really exploding. He can have a great run for a while and he gets your hopes up and then he falls back again (sometimes due to injuries)... I just dont have the confidence anymore Martial will still explode for us and become the player who really takes our game to a higher level.. Lautaro for me definitely has the change the become that, also because I really feel we need a #9 more than a striker/winger kinda hybrid like Rashford/Greenwood/Martial..
Martinez’s stats last season (17 goals 6 assists) are identical to Martial’s league stats in 19/20.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
OP has definitely never watched him play a game live and just discovered him by youtube videos :lol:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Martinez’s stats last season (17 goals 6 assists) are identical to Martial’s league stats in 19/20.
True, so its not based on hard facts I would swap them without doubt, it's got a degree of subjectitivity towards both players ofcourse.. Later in the discussion I stated the following:

Tallis

Looks like a City player to me. I think he will do very well there.

roonster09

Scout
OP has definitely never watched him play a game live and just discovered him by youtube videos :lol:
Either that or didn't watch Kaka, Aguero, Cavani. Hustles like Rooney is correct though.

MrSingh2002

You'd love that to be true but it's not.

Lautaro is like Martial but hungry and hardworking. In our new starting 11 I believe he'd be a bigger success than Martial. So it's as simple as that. We should have him unless we can actually sign a Haaland or Lewandowski.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You’re overrating him. Even Inter fans don’t rate him that highly.

Blood Mage

He's pretty inconsistent but a great dribbler who scores some nice goals. He's fairly similar to Martial actually.

The type of player who joins Arsenal and has the occasional purple patch but goes missing the rest of the time.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If Cavani can play about 40 matches next season, we won't need him and maybe this is also why Ole persists with Martial's return for next season.

MrSingh2002

You’re overrating him. Even Inter fans don’t rate him that highly.
That might be the case. But at his age he just won Serie A and Copa America. Scoring only one goal less from open play in the league than Lukaku who is at his peak. Meanwhile Lukaku is being bid for at £100m.

A lot of posters would be the same people jacking off over him if he moved to City or Barca. Then complain about us not signing the next big thing. Sometimes signing the next big thing is a gamble.

Lautaro
Serie A : 17 Goals (2 penalties)
CL : 1 goal

Lukaku
Serie A : 24 Goals (8 penalties)
CL : 4 goals

izec

That might be the case. But at his age he just won Serie A and Copa America. Scoring only one goal less from open play in the league than Lukaku who is at his peak. Meanwhile Lukaku is being bid for at £100m.

A lot of posters would be the same people jacking off over him if he moved to City or Barca. Then complain about us not signing the next big thing. Sometimes signing the next big thing is a gamble.

Lautaro

Lukaku
He is also 23, while Lukaku is 28.

I think he is a good striker with plenty of room for improvement, no doubt. United fans only want Haaland though.

I‘d swap him for Martial in a heartbeat, but i dont think Martinez wants to play in the PL.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not a big fan of him.

And he's not a lone striker at all.

Doesn't really suit us.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Not a big fan of him.

And he's not a lone striker at all.

Doesn't really suit us.
Not true. He has been a lone central striker his entire career other than his years playing for Conte - at Racing, when he first arrived in Milan, and most matches he has played for Argentina.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not true. He has been a lone central striker his entire career other than his years playing for Conte - at Racing, when he first arrived in Milan, and most matches he has played for Argentina.
His best is under Conte so technically if a manager wants to get the best out of him means he shouldn’t be used as lone central striker.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's not suited that role at all for me.

I highly doubt any manager going forward will use him in that role.

Even with Argentina, he's partnered with Messi and them replicating Valverde's use of Suarez-Messi.

roonster09

Scout

Lautaro

Lukaku
Or maybe few of those posters actually watch Inter games than just youtube videos to judge him and compare him with Kaka, Aguero, Cavani. Not even his mom thinks he dribbles like Kaka or shoots like Aguero.

roonster09

Scout
I don't know where and how he played in Argentinian league but when he played for Inter, Icardi was first choice striker, then he was stripped off his captaincy, he refused to play and was suspended, at that time Martinez started games and he was underwhelming. Maybe that's because he was still adapting to the league or for various other reasons I don't know. Watching him play, IMO his best role is playing alongside striker to link up the game. He looked so much better playing alongside Lukaku than as lone striker.

Maybe he can play as lone striker under someone like Pep where they dominate the game and players always have multiple options to pick, but under others where 9 is expected to hold the ball and bring others into play, he won't be that good.

MrSingh2002

Or maybe few of those posters actually watch Inter games than just youtube videos to judge him and compare him with Kaka, Aguero, Cavani. Not even his mom thinks he dribbles like Kaka or shoots like Aguero.
I see resemblances. Like how he plants his standing foot when shooting like Aguero to get max power.

Maybe in a few years and after developing further you may think the same. He's 23 yet and there's more to come.

Don't forget what a young Aguero was like.

roonster09

Scout
I see resemblances. Like how he plants his standing foot when shooting like Aguero to get max power.

Maybe in a few years and after developing further you may think the same. He's 23 yet and there's more to come.

Don't forget what a young Aguero was like.
Young Aguero was tearing apart Barca with ridiculous games.

This is what I said couple of years ago, he looks sort of poor man's Aguero because of how he moves and skillful on the ball.

He is like poor man's Aguero, skillful player and also has very good movement. His finishing is bit hit and miss, which is expected from a young player.
it’s his movement and ability on the ball that reminds me of Aguero. Not strong physically as Aguero, lacks balance like Aguero. That’s why I said he is poor man’s Aguero. In few years he will be quality player.
He is obviously very good player but nothing like what you described. You took one of the best qualities of 3 of the superb players in last 20 years, and said Lautaro has all 3 of those. Have you seen Lautaro tearing apart teams with his dribbling ability like Kaka did against us, or Celtic? The guy was a wizard on the ball.

He would be a Balon d'Or winner if he had all 3 skills at the level you said in OP.

Edit: Also going by my last few posts, few might think I don't rate him. That's wrong, I rate him and highly too. It's just that I don't rate as highly as others who think he is clear upgrade on Martial or he is up there with the best players in the world.

MrSingh2002

Young Aguero was tearing apart Barca with ridiculous games.

This is what I said couple of years ago, he looks sort of poor man's Aguero because of how he moves and skillful on the ball.

He is obviously very good player but nothing like what you described. You took one of the best qualities of 3 of the superb players in last 20 years, and said Lautaro has all 3 of those. Have you seen Lautaro tearing apart teams with his dribbling ability like Kaka did against us, or Celtic? The guy was a wizard on the ball.

He would be a Balon d'Or winner if he had all 3 skills at the level you said in OP.

Edit: Also going by my last few posts, few might think I don't rate him. That's wrong, I rate him and highly too. It's just that I don't rate as highly as others who think he is clear upgrade on Martial or he is up there with the best players in the world.
He could yet be winning it. His story is still unwritten.

These "legends" you cream over have ONE balon dor between their careers.

Rose tinted glasses I think. I'd think that in Lautaro's career he could have a season like Lewandowski did last year in Germany where he's a strong candidate for the award too.

El Jefe

Agreed with those that are calling him overrated. He's a good player but I heard the hype about him before watching and was underwhelmed. He's a rotation player at a top 4 club at best.

roonster09

Scout
He could yet be winning it. His story is still unwritten.

These "legends" you cream over have ONE balon dor between their careers.

Rose tinted glasses I think. I'd think that in Lautaro's career he could have a season like Lewandowski did last year in Germany where he's a strong candidate for the award too.
Yeah, I'm sure he will be dreaming for a fairy to appear and present him the attributes he doesn't possess. He might win Ballon d'or, he might win couple of them, still doesn't change that fact that he can't dribble like Kaka, doesn't shoot like Aguero, doesn't head like Cavani.

Lewa might win Ballon d'or this year, doesn't mean he can dribble like Messi, score headers like Ronaldo and use trickery like Neymar.

They have one Ballon d'or combined as they aren't the ultimate players, like you think Lautaro is. It's a period dominated by 2 freaks.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
According to the Ornstein and Chapman podcast, Inter have been trying to shift him to be able to keep Lukaku but they have no takers even at 50M.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
S
He already told yesterday if he want to leave inter it's only for top 3 Spanish teams. Fair enough answer for those wanted him in pl.
Spanish clubs are in financial trouble, and Inter are broke to the point of deferring players' wages.

MrSingh2002

Yeah, I'm sure he will be dreaming for a fairy to appear and present him the attributes he doesn't possess. He might win Ballon d'or, he might win couple of them, still doesn't change that fact that he can't dribble like Kaka, doesn't shoot like Aguero, doesn't head like Cavani.

Lewa might win Ballon d'or this year, doesn't mean he can dribble like Messi, score headers like Ronaldo and use trickery like Neymar.

They have one Ballon d'or combined as they aren't the ultimate players, like you think Lautaro is. It's a period dominated by 2 freaks.
The two freaks are in the decline and its time for new stars to shine. Mbappe and Haaland are the clear heirs but we can agree to disagree on Martinez. I believe when it's all said an done he's a major player at a major club winning major trophies.

Just like Aguero and Kaka.

Pocho

Overrated, Agüero at his age was a much better player, and I think he still is.

tomaldinho1

I never got the hype with Lautaro. Good on the ball sure, but doesn't get enough goals IMO
He plays as a second striker and doesn't get enough goals??

3/6 in the Copa and 17 in Serie A is awesome. Then add in double figures for assists and that Lukaku takes pens...if you take away pens he scored 15 and Lukaku scored 18 in Serie A. That's goals aplenty from a second striker in my eyes.