League Cup 2019/20 | Semi finals: Man Utd v Man City, Leicester City v Aston Villa

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That was regarding my previous post before the one about the message.
Ban said:
So according to Skysports they were impressive even though they conceded 5 goals.
I don't know if you're just stating a fact or are disputing it, but I don't consider that a love-in since quite a lot did impress.

Ban

I don't know if you're just stating a fact or are disputing it, but I don't consider that a love-in since quite a lot did impress.
I think if it was any other club the headlines would be totally different. I might be wrong of course.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I think if it was any other club the headlines would be totally different. I might be wrong of course.
Yeah dunno, might be true. I think it's justified because our hand was kind of forced in this case. If he played the exact same team without special circumstances, the backlash from the media would've maybe been (rightfully) bigger since it would be making a mockery of the competition imo. Now, I feel like if they don't want to accommodate us, we don't owe them anything and can field whichever team we'd like.

Ban

Yeah dunno, might be true. I think it's justified because our hand was kind of forced in this case. If he played the exact same team without special circumstances, the backlash from the media would've maybe been (rightfully) bigger since it would be making a mockery of the competition imo. Now, I feel like if they don't want to accommodate us, we don't owe them anything and can field whichever team we'd like.
I don't have any problem at all with Liverpool fielding younguns yesterday. It's just a cringe with praise after a 5:0 loss. Although they're young so it's nice to hear I guess.

Josep Dowling

How exactly? Elliot was about the only one for me.

As I said during the game surely it was a tactic of Villa to allow Liverpool to retain the ball, then counter on the break. It's called setting a trap.

Josep Dowling

Against astana some.of our youngsters who are rated highly did do well. These guys looked out of sorts.
I only saw the second half but they were terrible. And Aston Villa's B team is much better than Astana.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
How exactly? Elliot was about the only one for me.

As I said during the game surely it was a tactic of Villa to allow Liverpool to retain the ball, then counter on the break. It's called setting a trap.
Yeah sure, I wouldn't read too much into the (possession) stats but just in general - even taking Elliott out of the equation, I think they showed composure on the ball most of the times, were bright in possession, created some chances, stuff like that. Whether you wanna call that "impress" or "did well" or whatever is all the same for me. We were easily overwhelmed by Villa's B-side though which is what counts in the end of course.

Biggest takeaway from the game is that we seem to have a real gem on our hands with Harvey Elliott. 2 years younger than Greenwood, 5 years younger than TAA. If he continues this kind of growth curve, I wonder how good he could potentially be when turns 18.

AshRK

I only saw the second half but they were terrible. And Aston Villa's B team is much better than Astana.
Maybe bar couple of youngsters none of them looked out of depth. There is a reason we just lost 2-1, we could and should have won the game had chong not missed a easy chance.The likes of Garner, Levitt, Greenwood, Laird and even Gomes looked decent to good.

Also, I do not believe Villa's B team are much better than Astana. Maybe they can match them but our youngsters didn't look out of sorts playing against them in their backyard in a synthetic pitch. Some of the Liverpool Kids sadly looked out of depth and most did not look like they will play for Liverpool in near future.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What are you trying to hear in the media about a group of youngsters?
Maybe praise of Villa's back up team.

I haven't watched any news but that's the most logical thing to do. Praising Villa's backup team for making semi finals of league cup and winning 5-0

AshRK

What are you trying to hear in the media about a group of youngsters?
If you cannot criticize them then don't also praise them. None of their youngsters did much to be getting praised, some of them were very bad. I just don't think any other team would be praised after losing 5-0.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe bar couple of youngsters none of them looked out of depth. There is a reason we just lost 2-1, we could and should have won the game had chong not missed a easy chance.The likes of Garner, Levitt, Greenwood, Laird and even Gomes looked decent to good.

Also, I do not believe Villa's B team are much better than Astana. Maybe they can match them but our youngsters didn't look out of sorts playing against them in their backyard in a synthetic pitch. Some of the Liverpool Kids sadly looked out of depth and most did not look like they will play for Liverpool in near future.
Villa's second string are miles better than Astana mate, as in on another fecking planet.

AshRK

Villa's second string are miles better than Astana mate, as in on another fecking planet.
Beter maybe, miles better or much better I don't think so. Also context matters, travelling for 8 hours plus and playing in their place on a synthetic pitch can be a daunting tasks for any young players. Anyways this is not about Villa B v. Astana, the original point was I heard good reviews about Van den Berg and Jana Hoever but both looked out of depth while defending.

Pagh Wraith

I haven't watched any news but that's the most logical thing to do. Praising Villa's backup team for making semi finals of league cup and winning 5-0
Villa weren't exactly great, though. It was more of a 3/4-1 at best, and not a 5-0. The physical difference between the two sides was so big that I wouldn't really draw any conclusions from it. Good for Liverpool's youth to gain some experience and not play too badly. Good for some of Villa's players to get the minutes and maybe some confidence. That's about it.

Bwuk

Yeah sure, I wouldn't read too much into the (possession) stats but just in general - even taking Elliott out of the equation, I think they showed composure on the ball most of the times, were bright in possession, created some chances, stuff like that. Whether you wanna call that "impress" or "did well" or whatever is all the same for me. We were easily overwhelmed by Villa's B-side though which is what counts in the end of course.

Biggest takeaway from the game is that we seem to have a real gem on our hands with Harvey Elliott. 2 years younger than Greenwood, 5 years younger than TAA. If he continues this kind of growth curve, I wonder how good he could potentially be when turns 18.
Agreed with Elliot you can see why he's so highly rated.

As long as he keeps his head down he could be a real talent. Mane, Salah and Firmino are all at an age currently that when Elliot is a few years older they'll benefit from being rotated with him.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I thought this was a fair article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/17/aston-villa-liverpool-carabao-cup-match-report

If you're speaking of tweets then I can't help you there, the commentary was always going to center on the youngsters of the more followed team.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I thought this was a fair article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/17/aston-villa-liverpool-carabao-cup-match-report

If you're speaking of tweets then I can't help you there, the commentary was always going to center on the youngsters of the more followed team.
Like I said, I haven't read any article and have 0 interest in reading any of them. As it is, I'm fed up of Liverpool wankfest, it would be unbearable if it continues when they are beaten 5-0. Anyone would be expecting praises on Villa for reaching semi finals of domestic cup, that too in their first season in PL after getting promoted.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Ye are caught up in the idea of some media Liverpool wankfest such that anything but tearing into youngsters that didn't park the bus against a senior Villa side is a wankathon. Y'all have fun.

Red00012

Ye are caught up in the idea of some media Liverpool wankfest such that anything but tearing into youngsters that didn't park the bus against a senior Villa side is a wankathon. Y'all have fun.
You should probably look at your own mess of a football club before commenting on another.

always_hoping

Leicester and Everton are basically playing their first choice teams tonight. Man City 8 changes and United 7 changes from the weekend.

dbs235

Leicester and Everton are basically playing their first choice teams tonight. Man City 8 changes and United 7 changes from the weekend.
The United and City teams are still pretty strong, especially considering the opposition. Seems like no one wants to go out tonight.

Paul_Scholes18

The United and City teams are still pretty strong, especially considering the opposition. Seems like no one wants to go out tonight.
Yeah all sides going for it. Leicester rotated more in early rounds, but goes for it now 100%.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
So Skysports isn't media?
Source please? Where it's said that "Klopp sent them an inspirational message at HT and that's why they conceded only one goal in the 2nd half".

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
City score first goal against Real Madrid. Oh, hold on, its Oxford. I'm sure City have played Oxford more times this decade than Real Madrid.