Leeds (dirty thugs) discussion

MattJ166

I hope leeds go down because, well do I even need to state why but I think he's done well overall, it's very rare that when United aren't playing and I'm deciding which game to watch I'll consider a newly promoted team as one to watch. They do play well and just as importantly, allow others to play entertaining football which can often (hilariously) result in them getting pumped or a end-to-end game that's good on the eyes for a neutral.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I hope leeds go down because, well do I even need to state why but I think he's done well overall, it's very rare that when United aren't playing and I'm deciding which game to watch I'll consider a newly promoted team as one to watch. They do play well and just as importantly, allow others to play entertaining football which can often (hilariously) result in them getting pumped or a end-to-end game that's good on the eyes for a neutral.
I just woke up and my eyes are still bleeding.

kps88

They'll be fine once they get their key players back. And figure out a way how to never start Firpo again.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Elephant in the room is clearly his ego. He can't see past his philosophy to make the right changes, stop man marking 1v1 against quality teams, they will punish you. Stop playing 1 DM and 4 AMs pretty much, the gaps in between are being exploited with ease. One pass and you're running at their back 4. Which most times is a back 2 as the fullbacks are high up so the counter is a feast for most teams. For someone who watches video and analyses every blade of grass, these are easy things to spot. I am a video analyst at Al-Nasr FC here in Dubai and I'd be sacked if I didn't report clear and obvious faults like these to the coaches.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Elephant in the room is clearly his ego. He can't see past his philosophy to make the right changes, stop man marking 1v1 against quality teams, they will punish you. Stop playing 1 DM and 4 AMs pretty much, the gaps in between are being exploited with ease. One pass and you're running at their back 4. Which most times is a back 2 as the fullbacks are high up so the counter is a feast for most teams. For someone who watches video and analyses every blade of grass, these are easy things to spot. I am a video analyst at Al-Nasr FC here in Dubai and I'd be sacked if I didn't report clear and obvious faults like these to the coaches.
Wow thats an interesting job, beats my office job!

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Wow thats an interesting job, beats my office job!
Haha, It is mate, can't complain. Follow the scouts to watch opposition play and film their play, study patterns and report. Comb through training footage and help the coaches spot trends and inconsistencies, get to live in Dubai and travel around the UAE and Middle East. Wouldn't trade this for any other job.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think that Bielsa has an excellent job at Leeds. They were regularly finishing in the bottom half of the Championship, and were also firmly in the bottom half in terms of possession, before he took charge. He immediately turned them, with many of the same players that were already there, in to the best passing team in the Championship, before their 2020 promotion, their successful first season back in the Premier League last season etc. Numerous players, including their club captain signed from Chesterfield for 400k back in 2014, have improved under him.

But I agree that his stubbornness is major weakness, and I was expecting them to find things more difficult this season compared to last season.

I hope they'll be fine, as I do think that they add a lot to the Premier League, especially with their style of play. Plus if they do get things right, in the future they at least have the ability to get to where Leicester or West Ham have been in recent seasons / this season. I much prefer them in the Premier League than clubs like Norwich, West Brom, Fulham etc. who just make up the numbers. Whether it is through their large fanbase, the large number of fans who despise them, or just 'neutral' fans like me wanting to watch teams play the most exciting football, they attract plenty of interest for a club outside the elite, which is only a good thing.

If I was a fan of a club that didn't really have any chance of qualifying for the Champions League or even Europa League through the league, I'd much rather see them finishing 15th or 16th playing nice football like Leeds do, than 8th or 9th playing negative, cautious football.

Idxomer

Is the problem really Bielsa's ego/stubbornness or the fact they have like half of their starting lineup out with injuries?

James Peril

You can only get so far with stupid, gung ho tactics and adrenaline. Bielsa is a very average coach and the praise he got last season was over the top. If you have one gear, no ability to change, you’ll never get anywhere. That is also why he has never gotten a big job and never will. It’s fun though, I’ll give him that. Leeds seldom play 0-0.

Jackal981

Please say hi to Talisca

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Is the problem really Bielsa's ego/stubbornness or the fact they have like half of their starting lineup out with injuries?
Definitely ego; he's a highly rated coach for more than his frantic play, which is why if he can't put his ego to the side for Leeds' plight, he should simply call it quits.

They can adjust to injuries and not get tonked by stupid scorelines, but that's swallowing pride.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I would say it's because it's dirty Leeds that they get this reaction, but people had similar contempt for Bournemouth after a while so who knows.

MUFC OK

Would like them and Newcastle to go down. Unfortunately I think Norwich and Burnley won't pick up enough points and Leeds will be safe. Watford will finish above them.

Blood Mage

He seems nailed on for the sack. Leeds will realise just as Norwich did that if they want to avoid humiliation in this league they just can't play progressive football with the standard of players they have.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There's progressive football then there's excessive progressive football.

Minor the dull draw at Elland Road, our games against them at OT feel like exhibition matches rather than supposed derbies.

Last edited:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
No chance he's sacked. He is a god to Leeds fans. They will stay up, but just about, and he will leave end of the season.

MUFC OK

I don't see the clamour for having unwavering faith in a singular philosophy. It seems to be celebrated a great deal in the modern PL - most of the talk around losses like last night and the Utd game almost gives them a free pass. It's akin to having no Plan B, the same sh*t Wenger was lambasted for in his latter years at Arsenal.

It must be a dream for the big clubs to play the likes of Leeds, with players knowing a drubbing is on the cards and that they have a chance to grab a goal. If Leeds set up different last night they could have won a hard fought point.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't see the clamour for having unwavering faith in a singular philosophy. It seems to be celebrated a great deal in the modern PL - most of the talk around losses like last night and the Utd game almost gives them a free pass. It's akin to having no Plan B, the same sh*t Wenger was lambasted for in his latter years at Arsenal.

It must be a dream for the big clubs to play the likes of Leeds, with players knowing a drubbing is on the cards and that they have a chance to grab a goal. If Leeds set up different last night they could have won a hard fought point.
Don't get it too mate, having the philosophy in itself isn't the problem but not being able to adapt and adjust it drives me crazy. You can't stubbornly stick to it every game. If you notice the opposition keep exploiting it then you plug those holes not just stubbornly stick with it till you concede 5,6,7.

Maniron

This must be a big factor, they have a lot of injuries and a thin squad.

This may also be why they seem to be playing differently this season. Last season they started every match on the front foot, pressed effectively and when the opportunity was there they broke in numbers.

There will also be an element of other teams having worked out how to play them. Despite their injuries they do seem to be suffering from second season syndrome

MUFC OK

Don't get it too mate, having the philosophy in itself isn't the problem but not being able to adapt and adjust it drives me crazy. You can't stubbornly stick to it every game. If you notice the opposition keep exploiting it then you plug those holes not just stubbornly stick with it till you concede 5,6,7.
I think it's borne out of laziness/an unwillingness to adapt. When the media is practically celebrating them for doing it, why try to find an alternative?

SambaBoy

Don't really see the big issue.

Generally teams who do well in their first season in the PL, struggle in the second so some drop off was expected. It's not as if their team is top quality either, they have a lot of average players. They have also had terrible luck with injuries so I wouldn't say they are underachieving massively. I think survival is good enough for them this year.

In terms of Biesla, I doubt bottom half teams expect to get anything against the likes of Liverpool, City and Chelsea. Any points is a bonus. Biesla has actually done well against City in the past, and has ran Chelsea/Liverpool very close in excellent games.

Rafa got dogs abuse for setting Newcastle up when they lost 2-0 at City, saying they may as well show some ambition and at least try have a go. Leeds try have a go and get smashed 7-0 and people accuse him of being one-dimensional and how he has to adapt.

As an outsider, I'd rather my teams set up to have a go, watch some excellent games, win the odd game against the big teams and get the odd thumping. As opposed to setting up with 11 men behind the ball, watching dross, trying to nick a goal at a set piece or score from 2/3 shots, and the majority of the time losing whilst occasionally getting a win.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
World class manager. Because he's stubborn and sticks to his gameplan no matter the opposition.

IrishRedDevil

Remember Neville and Sky creaming themselves about how entertaining they were while they were losing games :lol: Still entertaining?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I said last season that Bielsa is over hyped and over rated. He is tactically inept as he can't seem to change from his philosophy, even when it is clearly not working.

They leak goals far too much for him to be viewed as a top manager , like all the pundits seemed to do last season.

SAFMUTD

It's always the same with Bielsa, takes an underwhelming team makes them play aggressively and on the front foot, they get some nice results here and there for about a season. Then they get spanked more often than not, players lower their guns and Bielsa is off with a beautiful speech about tactics and his duty with the spectacle.

RUCK4444

Called this guy a one trick pony from the start, no manager worth his salt has zero adaptability to play differently when it calls for it.

mav_9me

I said last season that Bielsa is over hyped and over rated. He is tactically inept as he can't seem to change from his philosophy, even when it is clearly not working.

They leak goals far too much for him to be viewed as a top manager , like all the pundits seemed to do last season.
I was one of those. Clearly I was wrong. If you only have one way and you continue to lose with that way....